DBs ready for Minnesota

aubiefifty

Auburn DBs eager to 'rock out' against Minnesota WRs

Posted Dec 29, 2019

5-6 minutes

Auburn Football

Getty Images

Between watching film and spending time with his family back home in Miami, Jeremiah Dinson interspersed his free time during the brief Christmas break with phone calls to a familiar voice — fellow Auburn senior starting safety Daniel Thomas.

Dinson isn’t accustomed to spending so much time away from his team, let alone his roommate and one of his closest friends over the last four years. That will make for a tough adjustment after their college careers end Wednesday in the Outback Bowl, but before that, Dinson and Thomas—Auburn’s two senior safeties—will have one last chance together on New Year’s Day against No. 18 Minnesota.

It’s one they will treasure, especially given what’s at stake for Auburn (a rare 10-win season) and the challenge at hand with Minnesota’s talented receiving corps.

“That’s a brother, a bond that will never be broken,” Thomas said. “That’s my dog right there, man. I’m going to miss not seeing him every day…. Just trying to cherish the moments.”

When Dinson and Thomas, who have started side by side on the back end of the secondary for each of the last two seasons, take the field at Raymond James Stadium on Wednesday, they’ll represent the final line of defense for Auburn against Minnesota’s passing game and the Golden Gophers’ pair of 1,000-yard receivers, Rashod Bateman and Tyler Johnson.

Bateman and Johnson have combined for 131 receptions, 2,284 yards and 22 receiving touchdowns this season, which represents 75.8 percent of Minnesota’s receiving offense this season.

“Like I told you before, it’s the same thing,” Dinson said. “I watched some more film when I was home, and 13 and 6, they pop out a lot…. They’re really good receivers. The quarterback loves them. They can run any route in the route tree. They can go and catch the long balls well. Lot of double-moves. They’re an all-around group, to be honest with you. So, like I said, when I watch film, 13 and 6 really pop out to me.”

Bateman leads Minnesota with 1,170 yards and 11 touchdowns on 57 receptions, while Johnson has been quarterback Tanner Morgan’s favorite target, hauling in 74 passes for 1,114 yards and 11 scores. They have averaged 20.5 and 15.1 yards per reception, respectively, this season, while both earned first-team All-Big Ten honors, and Bateman was named the conference’s top receiver this year.

Although Minnesota attempts just 24 passes per game, it will undoubtedly try to take its shots against Auburn in the Outback Bowl — and it will try to do so by finding Bateman and Johnson in a variety of ways downfield, as the Golden Gophers are tied for sixth nationally with 10.3 yards per pass attempt this season.

“Just don't let the ball get over the top,” Dinson said. “No deep balls. That's our philosophy going into any game, no matter who we play — no deep balls, play tight coverage and make it hard for them at the line of scrimmage. Obviously, we're a press team. Just like I said, as long as we don't get the ball behind us — because they're a shot team — and play with good eyes and play with good technique, I feel like we're going to be fine.”

Auburn has done well in limiting shots over the top this season. The Tigers’ secondary has allowed just 13 passes of at least 30 yards, which is 21st-fewest nationally this season, with nine of those going for at least 40 yards. Minnesota, meanwhile, ranks 31st nationally with 22 passing plays of at least 30 yards and 26th nationally with 13 passes of at least 40 yards.

Those downfield shots present a challenge for Dinson, Thomas and the rest of Auburn’s secondary, but they also present an opportunity for Auburn’s defensive backs to make some game-altering plays and interceptions.

Or, as Dinson put it, an opportunity to “rock out” one last time with this team.

“Hopefully — well, it's not even hopefully — I feel like I could get a chance to catch a pick or two when we play those guys,” Dinson said. “But, you know, it's fun going out with a team like this. They're kind of a 7-on-7 style, that type of team. You know they're going to put the ball in the air. As a DB, that's fun, knowing that going into the game.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

Minnesota attempts 24 passes per game and has 2 (TWO) different 1000 yard WRs. 

That is absolutely incredible when you consider we have had 2 1000 yard WRs in our entire history. 

Also

"Those downfield shots present a challenge for Dinson, Thomas and the rest of Auburn’s secondary, but they also present an opportunity for Auburn’s defensive backs to make some game-altering plays and interceptions."

Or pass interference calls... just sayin.

• WarTiger changed the title to DBs ready for Minnesota

By far my biggest worry in this game. Bateman & co have looked undefendable and explosive against some very good secondaries this season. They support the edge running game really well too.

Archived