Nix and Morris bonding

aubiefifty

33 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

We have a different perspective on this one. I think he improved immensely. In game 1 he played against an eventual 10 win conference champ, and in games 11 and 12 he faced off against two top 10 ten teams loaded with future NFL talent. In between he faced several bowl teams, a 10 win UF team and an undefeated playoff team. Some of the SECs greatest QBs haven’t done that, much less as a true freshman. Legends like Tebow, Cam, Dak, and Manziel were asked to fill package roles or redshirting as freshman, so it obviously took them more experience than Bo had to turn the corner. And Joe Burrow had almost identical stats to Bo last year, as a redshirt junior. As a true freshman BN was asked to be the number 1 QB all season, and do it against one of the hardest schedules in college football. Some have done one or the other, but I cannot find one who did both with better results. We do agree that his touch on the deep ball could improve, and that Chad should be able to take his game to the next level. 

Very well said. Very well indeed Eisenhaur.

4 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

One thing Bo did more often than JS8 or SW13 was throw the ball away to avoid a sack. I would like to know what Bo's adjusted completion percentage would be if you take all the throw aways and WR drops out. I would be willing to bet it would be around 65-68%. He is one of the best at getting the ball out to avoid a sack and he is only a freshman. That was extreme maturity. JS was horrible. I think Bo is going to be elite and I have a feeling he has a sophomore breakout party...rather than sophomore slump!

One of his best assets for sure

One thing I noticed about Bo as the season wore on: even in his worst games, he seemed to play his best in the hurry up 2 minute drill mode. Like many, I expected him to be more technically sound. But I think he’s more of an improvisational QB, playing best in a ‘backyard’ style of system. A lot of Manziel/Flutie in him. Gets results but may never be a stat monster. 

5 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I was under the assumption he had gotten just that since birth. I mean his dad was an Auburn legend at QB, and college level offensive coordinator before becoming a high school coach in which he won multiple state championships. 

I mean I feel ya and I truly believe if anyone at Auburn can help Nix turn that corner its Chad Morris. But this isn't some largely unknown QB that played at some small 1A school that never went to camps and walked into Auburn undeveloped. We are talking about a kid who has had college level coaching since he was in diapers. You say he just needs coaching. I agree the right coach can do wonders with any QB with the skillset Nix possesses, but I cant help but wonder if that's what it will take to improve his accuracy because he has legitimately had college level coaching since he was in diapers. 

Nix has had college level coaching since he was in diapers, I agree, but his accuracy is what it is with that coaching.  It is obviously a weak point. The coaching he has had since he was in diapers haven’t improved his accuracy, right?!!?  Therefore, coaching is still required to get him to the next level, that’s why he is in college, to expand his knowledge of his chosen field.  

If you are of the mindset that a 19-20 year old kid can’t improve his accuracy then I don’t know what to say.  CCM can coach him up if Nix is willing to take the instruction CCM will teach him.  A habit can be learned within 3 to 6 weeks if the student is willing to change and he is willing to put in the work.

4 hours ago, toddc said:

Well obviously the ones who voted BN as the Freshman of the Year saw it differently, and I don’t know of any reason for them to favor BN over anyone else.

I mean I guess. Derek Stingley Jr only  won SEC Newcomer of the Year, was First team All-SEC, as well as First Team All-American... all as a true freshman. 

I guess Stingley would have needed to win the Thorpe Award on top of all those other things for you to be confused about Nix winning? 

I'm no LSU fan. Not by a LONG shot, but come on...

32 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Nix has had college level coaching since he was in diapers, I agree, but his accuracy is what it is with that coaching.  It is obviously a weak point. The coaching he has had since he was in diapers haven’t improved his accuracy, right?!!?  Therefore, coaching is still required to get him to the next level, that’s why he is in college, to expand his knowledge of his chosen field.  

If you are of the mindset that a 19-20 year old kid can’t improve his accuracy then I don’t know what to say.  CCM can coach him up if Nix is willing to take the instruction CCM will teach him.  A habit can be learned within 3 to 6 weeks if the student is willing to change and he is willing to put in the work.

Nope... just pointing some stuff out.

I guess you dont see the irony that I see...

3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

We have a different perspective on this one. I think he improved immensely. In game 1 he played against an eventual 10 win conference champ, and in games 11 and 12 he faced off against two top 10 ten teams loaded with future NFL talent. In between he faced several bowl teams, a 10 win UF team and an undefeated playoff team. Some of the SECs greatest QBs haven’t done that, much less as a true freshman. Legends like Tebow, Cam, Dak, and Manziel were asked to fill package roles or redshirting as freshman, so it obviously took them more experience than Bo had to turn the corner. And Joe Burrow had almost identical stats to Bo last year, as a redshirt junior. As a true freshman BN was asked to be the number 1 QB all season, and do it against one of the hardest schedules in college football. Some have done one or the other, but I cannot find one who did both with better results. We do agree that his touch on the deep ball could improve, and that Chad should be able to take his game to the next level. 

Don't disagree overall ….BN had a very good season and I think earned the Freshman award over the LSU DB.  The DB was definitely good ….exceptional but the team did not live or die with what he did whereas BN was the team leader on offense with much more responsibility for the team's success than did Stingley. 

My point was the at the end of the year BN was still missing the same passes he was missing early in the season.  He was pressed quite a bit but rarely sacked and still had problems with some routine passes and then hit some really nice ones...and was greatly helped by some circus catches by the WRs.    Just thinking that he needs to be about 90% + on those quick outs and dumps to receivers out of the backfield....and has some work to do there if we are going to be regularly throwing on first down.    The team can not prosper with a bunch of 2nd and 10 situations if he's not hitting those little passes. 

3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

One thing I noticed about Bo as the season wore on: even in his worst games, he seemed to play his best in the hurry up 2 minute drill mode. Like many, I expected him to be more technically sound. But I think he’s more of an improvisational QB, playing best in a ‘backyard’ style of system. A lot of Manziel/Flutie in him. Gets results but may never be a stat monster. 

I heard someone say he had to run for his life every play his senior year in high school... so it kinda became a habit that AU had to break 

18 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

One thing Bo did more often than JS8 or SW13 was throw the ball away to avoid a sack. I would like to know what Bo's adjusted completion percentage would be if you take all the throw aways and WR drops out. I would be willing to bet it would be around 65-68%. He is one of the best at getting the ball out to avoid a sack and he is only a freshman. That was extreme maturity. JS was horrible. I think Bo is going to be elite and I have a feeling he has a sophomore breakout party...rather than sophomore slump!

I've wondered why drops are not included in QB stats like errors are included in baseball.

On 12/20/2019 at 7:31 PM, twilli13 said:

You may be right here. I'm really really hoping he does though because that 49% vs power 5 opponents is just not gonna cut it to get us where we want the program to go. I was actually incredibly surprised at how inaccurate he was in quite a few games. Freshman mistakes tend to be more turnovers and generally getting rattled type issues which I felt Nix did really well with overall. The lack of accuracy though was an odd thing to pinpoint with such high highschool accolades and being known as a fairly developed prospect with a father coach. 

Its all about the footwork...good footwork leads to accurate passes.  Now actually CATCHING the passes is another thing...we need improvement here as well.

On 12/21/2019 at 5:10 PM, Gowebb11 said:

I’m hopeful that having an offseason where he’s “the man” and can focus on gelling with our receivers so that they know each other’s tendencies and capabilities will improve his accuracy on the deep ball.

Archived