Meet early signing class

aubiefifty

al.com

Meet Auburn’s 2020 early signing class

Updated Dec 18, 2019;Posted Dec 18, 2019

8-11 minutes

Auburn wrapper up the early signing period Wednesday by securing the majority of its 2020 recruiting class. The Tigers signed 22 players in all, with two unsigned commitments remaining heading into February’s National Signing Day.

Here’s a look at Auburn’s 2020 early signing class and what head coach Gus Malzahn had to say about each signee:

Kilian Zierer, 6-foot-7, 284-pound, 3-star OL, College of Canyons (Valencia, Calif.)

“Starting out, Kilian Zierer, offensive tackle. Of course, we’re losing six seniors. We really felt strong that we needed to go out there and find one or two tackles, and of course, it really started with him. He’s got a 3.65 GPA. He’s athletic. He’s only been playing football, I believe, for two years. We really think that he’s got a chance to really be a special player. He’ll be here in January.”

Avery Jernigan, 6-foot-3, 306-pound, 3-star OL, Pierce County (Blackshear, Ga.)

“Avery Jernigan, he’s really an Auburn-type player. 3.8 GPA. Tough, hard-nosed. Dad’s an athletic director/coach. Really feel like he fits us real good. Can play center or guard."

Tate Johnson, 6-foot-3, 325-pound, 3-star OL, Callaway (LaGrange, Ga.)

“Tate Johnson, 3.5 GPA. Also another tough, hard-nosed Auburn-type kid. Really stood out to me when I watched these camps when he went against some of the best defensive linemen in the country and really held his own and stood out to me.”

Kobe Hudson, 6-foot, 185-pound, 4-star WR, Troup County (Pine Mountain, Ga.)

“Kobe Hudson, 3.4 GPA, wide receiver, really, I put ‘/athlete’ because I’ve been recruiting this guy since eighth grade. Really think he’s got a chance to be special. Plays quarterback, which he could also get some snaps at from time to time. He’s been committed to us a long time. Really, I think he’s the guy that really kept this class together through some of the ups and downs that goes with it. He’s been very loyal to us. Very excited about Kobe. Really feel like he’s going to be an outstanding player for us.”

Elijah Canion, 6-foot-4, 201-pound, 3-star WR, Chaminade-Madonna Prep (Hollywood, Fla.)

“Elijah Canion, he’s got a 4.09 GPA. He is a tall, athletic receiver. Really reminds me of Seth Williams. I think he’s got a chance to be an excellent player. I think he’s got great upside and can really run.”

Jeremiah Wright, 6-foot-5, 340-pound, 3-star OL, Selma

“Jeremiah Wright, offensive lineman from Selma. He’s got a 3.4 GPA. Big, athletic guys. We really felt like if he was in an area like Atlanta, he would be one of the top linemen in the country. He plays offense and defense. He’s got an unbelievable skill set. We think he’s gonna be a really good player.”

Wesley Steiner, 6-foot, 226-pound, 4-star LB, Houston County (Warner Robins, Ga.)

“Wesley Steiner’s got a 4.0 GPA. He’s fast, he’s strong, he’s won state championships in track. Coach T-Will did a great job recruiting him. Really think he’s got a chance to be an outstanding player.”

Marco Domio, 6-foot-1, 172-pound, 4-star CB, Blinn College (Houston)

“Marco Domio, a corner from Blinn Junior College. Of course, it was pretty neat — I recruited a guy named Cam Newton 10 years ago from Blinn Junior College, so I got a chance to go back there for the first time. That was a lot of fun. Really think Marco — first of all, he’s got a very good skill set. Really think he could come in here and help us right off the bat. He’s got a wonderful family. So we’re excited about him.”

Chayil Garnett, 6-foot-1, 211-pound, 3-star QB, Lakeland (Lake Wales, Fla.)

“Chayil Garnett, quarterback. He’s got a 3.9 GPA. Has been committed to us for a while. Really looking at our offense, we really feel like he fits us. He’s a dual-threat guy. He can run it. He’s got a quick release, and he throws a good deep ball. Really excited about Chayil. He’ll be here in January, which I think is very important.”

Daniel Foster-Allen, 6-foot-4, 264-pound, 3-star DE, St. Paul’s (Saraland)

“Daniel Foster-Allen, defensive end from Saint Paul’s. He’s a big guy, think he’s very versatile. Think he’s got a very good upside. He plays the run well. He’s a solid pass rusher, too. So we’re excited about him.”

Cam Riley, 6-foot-4, 207-pound, 4-star LB, Hillcrest (Evergreen)

“Cam Riley, linebacker from Evergreen. This guy is 6-4, 207. He’s long, he can run, he is going to be a big man. He’s got a great personality, got a great family. Really think his upside is really big. He’s got a 3.3 GPA.”

Chris Thompson Jr., 6-foot-1, 201-pound, 4-star S, Duncanville (DeSoto, Texas)

“Chris Thompson Jr., from Texas, 3.9 GPA. Really feel like this guy is a special player. Coach McGriff has done a great job recruiting him. He’s like a coach on the field. He’s a really good tackler. He can cover. Like I said, a very versatile guy. Really feel like he’s an excellent player, and we’re excited to have him.”

Desmond Tisdol, 6-foot, 210-pound, 4-star LB, Wilcox County (Rochelle, Ga.)

“Desmond Tisdol is a linebacker we’ve recruited for a long time. He also played running back for his team. A very good skill set. Coach T-Will has been on him a long time. We’re excited to have him, really think he fits what we do defensively.”

JJ Pegues, 6-foot-2, 298-pound, 4-star TE, Oxford (Miss.)

“JJ Pegues, tight end, from Oxford, Mississippi. A guy that we identified as, really, one of the more versatile players in all the country. He’s a big guy. They snapped the ball to him from a wildcat. He’s a running back. They split him out, throw slants, fades. Big-time basketball player. Really think, with our offense, that his skill set will really be utilized. Very excited about him. He’s going to give us a lot of flexibility for the last couple of years. Really excited about JJ.”

Ladarius Tennison, 5-foot-10, 195-pound, 4-star ATH/S, Rockledge (Fla.)

“Ladarius Tennison. We felt like he was one of the better all-around football players in the country. I know our defense wanted him. The offensive side wanted him. He’s very good with the ball in his hands. He’s a special type of returner. I really think he’s going to come in here and have a chance to play right off the bat and help us. So we’re excited about Ladarius.”

Zykeivous Walker, 6-foot-4, 267-pound, 4-star DE, Schley County (Ellaville, Ga.)

“Zykeivous Walker has got a 3.3 GPA. Big. Athletic. Plays basketball. You know, he reminds us of Marlon and Derrick at that age. I know that’s big shoes to fill but at this point, he’s got the skillset. He is a wonderful person, has got a great personality. He really fits Auburn. And so we’re very excited about Zykeivous.”

Catarvious “Tank” Bigsby, 6-foot, 209-pound, 5-star RB, Callaway (LaGrange, Ga.)

“And then of course Tank Bigsby was on our board as the No. 1 running back on our board for a long time. Coach Cadillac Williams did a super job with him recruiting him. He’s a one-play drive type of guy. I mean, from anywhere on the field he can take it to the house. He’s got receiver type skills with his hands. Very excited about Tank. We think he’s an impact player. We think he could help us immediately and he’ll be getting here early too.”

Ze’Vian Capers, 6-foot-4, 192-pound, 4-star WR, Denmark (Alpharetta, Ga.)

“Ze’Vian Capers, 6-4 receiver, really has got a special skillset. This is a guy that I think is an impact player. Really smooth. Runs very good routes. Snatches the ball with his hands. Keeps his feet on the ground. Really think this guy could be an impact player. We’re very excited to have him. And if you look at our receivers, we really wanted to get taller and bigger and longer. That’s what we did in this class with that.”

Brenden Coffey, 6-foot-6, 264-pound, 3-star OT, Butte CC (Paradise, Calif.)

“Brenden Coffey, another junior college offensive tackle. He came on a visit this summer and you could tell right off the bat that he fit. He’s a hard-nosed guy. We really think, potential, that he’s got a chance to really be a good offensive lineman and has a chance to help us right off the bat when he gets here.”

JJ Evans, 6-foot-2, 192-pound, 4-star WR, Montevallo

“JJ Evans, another big receiver, from Birmingham. A guy that is excellent with the ball in his hands. Really think he’s got a chance to be a very special-type receiver. Like I said, he can really run, and he is strong.”

Romello Height, 6-foot-4, 217-pound, 3-star Buck, Dublin (Ga.)

“Romello Height. A buck. He’s got a 3-point GPA. He had 16 sacks this season so he’s an excellent pass-rusher off the edge but he plays the run very good too, so we’re excited to add him to our class.”

Eric Reed Jr., 6-foot, 195-pound, 4-star DB, Calvary Baptist (Shreveport, La.)

“Eric is very versatile who is a good cover guy. He’s a good tackler and our type of player. He gives us a lot of flexibility in the secondary.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

40 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Desmond Tisdol, 6-foot, 210-pound, 4-star LB, Wilcox County (Rochelle, Ga.)

“Desmond Tisdol is a linebacker we’ve recruited for a long time. He also played running back for his team. A very good skill set. Coach T-Will has been on him a long time. We’re excited to have him, really think he fits what we do defensively.”

I'm so glad that they finally offered this kid. He has been begging for a legit offer for years. Kid is good. Wish they would have made room for Eric Shaw. He will be one that we will miss in the end.

2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I'm so glad that they finally offered this kid. He has been begging for a legit offer for years. Kid is good. Wish they would have made room for Eric Shaw. He will be one that we will miss in the end.

Shaw is going to be hell off the edge for CWM in a few years once he realizes Buck/WDE is his path to the NFL.

1 minute ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Shaw is going to be hell off the edge for CWM in a few years once he realizes Buck/WDE is his path to the NFL.

He didn't get the AU offer because they didn't think he could add on the weight needed. One of the few wrong things this staff has done or thought in a while. But hey, can't sign all the kids like this.

4 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

He didn't get the AU offer because they didn't think he could add on the weight needed. One of the few wrong things this staff has done or thought in a while. But hey, can't sign all the kids like this.

just how good is tank? is he really a difference maker? i have seen some film but i keep hearing he fumbles a whole lot from different cats and i am pretty sure they would not put that on film. and who in you opinion is our best signee? thanx

Just now, aubiefifty said:

just how good is tank? is he really a difference maker? i have seen some film but i keep hearing he fumbles a whole lot from different cats and i am pretty sure they would not put that on film. and who in you opinion is our best signee? thanx

Best back we have signed since Caddy and Brown. Better than Dyer. Has everything you want in a back. Not sure on the fumbles but that could be coaching if he is. I'd say he is the best signee.

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Best back we have signed since Caddy and Brown. Better than Dyer. Has everything you want in a back. Not sure on the fumbles but that could be coaching if he is. I'd say he is the best signee.

the fumble thing could be rumors from fans that wanted him on their team.

7 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

the fumble thing could be rumors from fans that wanted him on their team.

Not a rumor. Fumbled 3 times in his 1st SR game versus Opelika & had a 2 fumble game later in the season.

what's that quote, "It is to better have died a young child than fumble the ball on Saturday."  

I think it was Heisman when he was at Auburn.

Thanks for this breakdown Fifty...

On RB, this is a pretty encouraging read...we definately need someone that can take it to the house from anywhere...and getting there early is a big plus.  

Catarvious “Tank” Bigsby, 6-foot, 209-pound, 5-star RB, Callaway (LaGrange, Ga.)

“And then of course Tank Bigsby was on our board as the No. 1 running back on our board for a long time. Coach Cadillac Williams did a super job with him recruiting him. He’s a one-play drive type of guy. I mean, from anywhere on the field he can take it to the house. He’s got receiver type skills with his hands. Very excited about Tank. We think he’s an impact player. We think he could help us immediately and he’ll be getting here early too.”

Wonder how much of the field Tank will see as a Freshman?  I’m sure everyone will be clamoring for him to play but with such a loaded backfield it’s going to be interesting.  Boobee and DJ will be 1A and 1B going in with Worm probably being the 3rd back.  Where does that leave MAR and Joiner?  Honestly best thing that could happen is Boobee has a big year and goes Pro.  

3 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Wonder how much of the field Tank will see as a Freshman?  I’m sure everyone will be clamoring for him to play but with such a loaded backfield it’s going to be interesting.  Boobee and DJ will be 1A and 1B going in with Worm probably being the 3rd back.  Where does that leave MAR and Joiner?  Honestly best thing that could happen is Boobee has a big year and goes Pro.  

I would bet 1 or 2 of those backs will transfer out before Tank gets to AU. 

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Then he's good as Tre Mason was an absolute beast when he got his chance.

57 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Joiner isn't and won't be a factor in the RB rotation. He is an H, TE, slot receiver, whatever. He wasn't a true RB this season and it's only going to get harder to crack the rotation going forward, as you note. For some reason we were told he'd be in the RB rotation going into the season but it didn't happen. 

Worm vs MAR might be interesting, if Worm stays. 

Curious what Boobee is hearing/will hear back from NFL evals. He's got a lot to think about. Could affect Worm's decision, also.

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

Not a rumor. Fumbled 3 times in his 1st SR game versus Opelika & had a 2 fumble game later in the season.

Well good thing he is an EE so he’ll have plenty of time to learn how to protect the ball propely. He’ll be an instant impact on offense if he can get better at that 

I like the mention of their GPAs, and the fact they are worthy of conversation. I would hope that means they are dedicated and hardworking on top of freakish athletes.

5 hours ago, wde1968 said:

Then he's good as Tre Mason was an absolute beast when he got his chance.

Yep don’t know why fans underrate him so much. He was a legit Heisman candidate running back who  was snubbed

14 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Yep don’t know why fans underrate him so much. He was a legit Heisman candidate running back who  was snubbed

Because he didn't fit the average Auburn fan's preconceived notion of what a running back is supposed to look like. Even halfway through the 2013 season, there was still a lot of "yeah, but" going on.

And his post Auburn trajectory hasn't been conducive to him receiving the benefit of revisionist history that some other players (rightfully) receive. For example, a lot of us have been quick to admit that we did not appropriately appreciate Nick Marshall while he was here. 

But there is no denying that Tre was one of the most talented running backs to come through here.

(You know who I think was the most under-appreciated Auburn running back of all time? Ben Tate. People absolutely refused to embrace or appreciate him. The way folks freaked out over that completely meaningless crossbar dunk says it all. But that dude was a beast and he was going to be Arian Foster at Houston until he got hurt.)

(Speaking of, our history of running backs getting hurt before their NFL careers can really get going is absolutely tragic and unfair. Factor in guys whose careers were sidetracked for other reasons and man it just makes me mad and sad.)

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Because he didn't fit the average Auburn fan's preconceived notion of what a running back is supposed to look like. Even halfway through the 2013 season, there was still a lot of "yeah, but" going on.

And his post Auburn trajectory hasn't been conducive to him receiving the benefit of revisionist history that some other players (rightfully) receive. For example, a lot of us have been quick to admit that we did not appropriately appreciate Nick Marshall while he was here. 

But there is no denying that Tre was one of the most talented running backs to come through here.

(You know who I think was the most under-appreciated Auburn running back of all time? Ben Tate. People absolutely refused to embrace or appreciate him. The way folks freaked out over that completely meaningless crossbar dunk says it all. But that dude was a beast and he was going to be Arian Foster at Houston until he got hurt.)

(Speaking of, our history of running backs getting hurt before their NFL careers can really get going is absolutely tragic and unfair. Factor in guys whose careers were sidetracked for other reasons and man it just makes me mad and sad.)

I’ve been saying for a while that Nick is the second best QB in Auburn history. Yes I know it’s a hot take but I’m sticking by it 

12 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

I’ve been saying for a while that Nick is the second best QB in Auburn history. Yes I know it’s a hot take but I’m sticking by it 

That's one of those things where people can argue against it, but they can't actually tell you you're wrong. Very strong case to be made. 

• WarTiger changed the title to Meet early signing class

Archived