Chad Morris has gained Class of 2020's trust

aubiefifty

al.com

Today 4:52 PM

4-5 minutes

It can be concerning for recruits when the coach they committed to leaves a program, but Auburn’s new offensive coordinator Chad Morris quickly eased their worries.

Morris was hired December 10, a day after Kenny Dillingham left for Florida State on December 9. In the six days he’s been an Auburn Tiger, Morris has worked to familiarize himself with the program and has taken time to talk to recruits.

When six recruits, all but one of them offensive players, took their official visits on Friday, Morris spent a lot of time with the players and parents.

Three-star offensive guard Tate Johnson had a really good first impression of Morris.

“You can tell he’s a genuine man,” Johnson said. “That’s the kind of guy that Coach Malzahn brings in. I wouldn’t expect anything less.”

Johnson, who attends Callaway High School in Hogansville, Georgia, said it’s clear that Morris, Malzahn and offensive line coach J.B. Grimes have a history together. They already appear to be a “tight-knit” group, and he sees them working well together.

Chayil Garnett, a three-star dual-threat quarterback from Lakeland, Florida, met Morris before he took his official visit to Auburn. Morris went to Garnett’s house to meet with him and his family. Between the two visits, Garnett said that after knowing him for a few days, he already trusts him.

Morris’ coaching history is also a comfort to Garnett. He’s coached “greats” like Deshaun Watson and Tahj Boyd who both played for Clemson under Morris. Since people have told Garnett he plays like Watson, having the man who actually coached Watson is a reassurance.

“He’s really a good fit for me and the way that I play,” Garnett said. “I like Coach Morris.”

Morris’ success with passing offenses is also encouraging to the receivers. Four-star receiver Kobe Hudson has been committed for well over a year. When quarterback Bo Nix started to find his rhythm and connect with his receivers at the end of the year, it was really exciting for Hudson because it meant the offense would be ready to go next season. Combined with Morris’ coaching, the future at Auburn looks good to Hudson.

“I think we're going to build a good relationship, and we're going to get this thing rolling next year,” Hudson said.

Wide receiver Ze’Vian Capers has an older relationship with Morris than many of the recruits do. The four-star receiver out of Denmark High School in Alpharetta, Georgia, was once committed to Morris’ Arkansas team. Capers liked Morris’ offensive philosophy and the ways Morris planned to fit him into the Razorback offense. He committed February 8, 2019.

Auburn offered for Capers in May, and he unofficially visited the school in June. Six days after his visit, he decommitted from Arkansas. A month later, he committed to the Tigers.

With Morris’ hire, Auburn now offers the best of everything Capers was looking for during his recruitment. When Morris, Malzahn and wide receiver coach Kodi Burns visited the Capers the day after Morris’ hire, Morris and the Capers were happy to be reunited.

“We were all excited about us all being together on the same team,” Capers said.

Like the others, Capers is excited what Morris and Malzahn will be able to do with the offense when they’re working together.

“I think with Coach Malzahn and Morris coming together it’s going to make things very interesting,” Capers said. “I’m looking for us to compete at a high level both running and passing the ball. The defense is always doing its thing. I’m just ready to get it on!”

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

al.com

Today 4:52 PM

4-5 minutes

It can be concerning for recruits when the coach they committed to leaves a program, but Auburn’s new offensive coordinator Chad Morris quickly eased their worries.

Morris was hired December 10, a day after Kenny Dillingham left for Florida State on December 9. In the six days he’s been an Auburn Tiger, Morris has worked to familiarize himself with the program and has taken time to talk to recruits.

When six recruits, all but one of them offensive players, took their official visits on Friday, Morris spent a lot of time with the players and parents.

Three-star offensive guard Tate Johnson had a really good first impression of Morris.

“You can tell he’s a genuine man,” Johnson said. “That’s the kind of guy that Coach Malzahn brings in. I wouldn’t expect anything less.”

Johnson, who attends Callaway High School in Hogansville, Georgia, said it’s clear that Morris, Malzahn and offensive line coach J.B. Grimes have a history together. They already appear to be a “tight-knit” group, and he sees them working well together.

Chayil Garnett, a three-star dual-threat quarterback from Lakeland, Florida, met Morris before he took his official visit to Auburn. Morris went to Garnett’s house to meet with him and his family. Between the two visits, Garnett said that after knowing him for a few days, he already trusts him.

Morris’ coaching history is also a comfort to Garnett. He’s coached “greats” like Deshaun Watson and Tahj Boyd who both played for Clemson under Morris. Since people have told Garnett he plays like Watson, having the man who actually coached Watson is a reassurance.

“He’s really a good fit for me and the way that I play,” Garnett said. “I like Coach Morris.”

Morris’ success with passing offenses is also encouraging to the receivers. Four-star receiver Kobe Hudson has been committed for well over a year. When quarterback Bo Nix started to find his rhythm and connect with his receivers at the end of the year, it was really exciting for Hudson because it meant the offense would be ready to go next season. Combined with Morris’ coaching, the future at Auburn looks good to Hudson.

“I think we're going to build a good relationship, and we're going to get this thing rolling next year,” Hudson said.

Wide receiver Ze’Vian Capers has an older relationship with Morris than many of the recruits do. The four-star receiver out of Denmark High School in Alpharetta, Georgia, was once committed to Morris’ Arkansas team. Capers liked Morris’ offensive philosophy and the ways Morris planned to fit him into the Razorback offense. He committed February 8, 2019.

Auburn offered for Capers in May, and he unofficially visited the school in June. Six days after his visit, he decommitted from Arkansas. A month later, he committed to the Tigers.

With Morris’ hire, Auburn now offers the best of everything Capers was looking for during his recruitment. When Morris, Malzahn and wide receiver coach Kodi Burns visited the Capers the day after Morris’ hire, Morris and the Capers were happy to be reunited.

“We were all excited about us all being together on the same team,” Capers said.

Like the others, Capers is excited what Morris and Malzahn will be able to do with the offense when they’re working together.

“I think with Coach Malzahn and Morris coming together it’s going to make things very interesting,” Capers said. “I’m looking for us to compete at a high level both running and passing the ball. The defense is always doing its thing. I’m just ready to get it on!”

The man’s reputation speaks for itself .

Archived