NO players expected to skip Outback Bowl

aubiefifty

al.com

Malzahn expects no Auburn players to skip Outback Bowl

Today 8:51 AM

5-6 minutes

Auburn Football

Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Derrick Brown sent a message Friday evening. To his teammates, to his coaches, to his fans and to the football world. It was just 13 seconds long, but that’s all that was needed from one of college football’s best players.

“I came back to finish what I started, and we’re not done yet,” Brown said in the video message posted to his social media platforms. “See you in Tampa. War Eagle.”

It was succinct. It was powerful. It set the tone for No. 12 Auburn as it began practices for the Outback Bowl on Sunday. Auburn’s best player — a sure-fire first-round NFL Draft pick in the spring — made the decision to play in the Tigers’ bowl game rather than sit it out ahead of the NFL Draft, as has become the trend for so many top draft prospects in recent years.

“He’s determined,” Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said. “He’s a leader, and usually what happens when your leader does that, the rest of the guys are ready to go, and he’s pretty inspiring for his teammates, I’ll tell you that. It says a lot about him, but it didn’t surprise me. I don’t think it surprised anybody.”

While speaking to the media last week in Atlanta ahead of the College Football Awards Show, Brown — who had yet to make a final decision on his status for the bowl game — sounded like someone leaning toward playing. Risk of injury, he said, was something you can’t concern yourself with, or else why play any of the season to begin with? On the other hand, playing in the bowl game provided Brown with one last opportunity to play alongside his brothers and, really, put on an Auburn uniform and further leave his mark on the program.

Brown, who after last year’s Music City Bowl opted to return for his senior season instead of declaring early for the NFL Draft, will already go down as one of the best players in Auburn history. His decision Friday to announce his intent to play in the Outback Bowl only further endeared him to Tigers fans.

“That’s who he is,” Malzahn said. “He’s one of the best football players in all of college football. For me, I said something about three or four weeks ago he should be in the Heisman talk; I really meant that. I truly believe he’s one of the best all-around football players. He’s one of the best to come through Auburn since I’ve been here. He had a dominant season—not a good season, a dominant season. We played an unbelievable schedule, and every time we played a big game, he played his best ball.”

Brown’s decision to not skip the Outback Bowl seemingly sent a ripple effect through Auburn’s team, as Malzahn does not anticipate any of Auburn’s seniors and draft-eligible players to sit out the New Year’s Day game against Minnesota in Tampa, Fla.

“Right now, I haven't heard anything different from anybody,” Malzahn said. “I said they all practiced, and we'll see… everybody was out there practicing, and I've not heard anything different."

That includes left tackle Prince Tega Wanogho and defensive lineman Nick Coe, both of whom entered the season with lofty draft expectations, as well as senior defensive end Marlon Davidson — Brown’s roommate and one of Auburn’s best overall players. While Brown received much of the spotlight this season, and rightfully so, Davidson put together his best season yet. He totaled 45 tackles, with 12.5 for a loss and 7.5 sacks while adding two forced fumbles (both on strip-sacks) and a pass breakup.

“He's right in that same, you know, discussion (as Brown),” Malzahn said. “He had a great season too, and I think he's one of the best players in the country. We're fortunate enough to have those two guys leading us."

While Auburn doesn’t expect to have anyone miss the Outback Bowl, the same can’t be said for the Tigers’ opponent. Minnesota linebacker Kamal Martin announced Sunday that he will forgo the bowl game as he prepares for the NFL Draft, while other Gophers stars are still reportedly weighing their decisions. With a full complement of players expected to be available and its leaders in tow for the Outback Bowl, Auburn heads into these next three weeks looking to send its own message.

“Our goal is to win 10 games and we’ve got an opportunity to do that,” Malzahn said. “Our seniors are excited for it and we want to get those guys out with a bowl victory.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

Happy to see all our guys ready to play....but would be satisfied to see #3 and #5 only on red zone defense. Might be nice to see what next years DL looks like for most of the game.

That. Is. Huge. Carpe diem. Making the most of the time and opportunity they'll never get back. Extra prayers for no injuries, but it speaks VOLUMES for their hearts and commitment to Auburn, the team, the staff, the fans. 

Kudos to the guys for doing what they do and fighting to the end. I would not have had any criticism for some future millionaires sitting out to secure that wealth. Hope and pray they come out the other side healthy and victorious. 

Holy cow I think they want to come out and murder Minnesota. One word comes to mind; resolve.

Unfortunately the Gophers will not be so lucky.  Top linebacker Kamal Martin has announced he will skip the bowl game to prepare for the draft.  In his case, the story is a little bit deeper than just skipping the bowl game.  He has been nursing injuries all season and went down again in the last game so he needs every second possible to heal.

The other likely big absence will be the big right offensive tackle: Daniel Faalele.  Although there has been no official announcement, it is generally believed he broke his fibula in the final regular season game and is currently in a soft cast, and won't be back by New Year's.  He is the massive kid (6'9" 400 pounds) that has had a lot written about him the past two years.  He is from Australia, came over late to get into American Football, went to IMG Academy in Florida and sat out one year to learn the game, played his senior year, appeared on everyone's recruiting radar due to his size, was projected to redshirt last season at Minnesota but instead was a starter by mid season, and has continued on this year with rapid improvement.

The Gopher offensive line is very big, with Faalele being by far the biggest kid.  It started out the season a bit shaky but came together nicely as the season progressed.  The biggest problem with it is its depth so it was a blessing there were very few injuries this season, but with Faalele likely out for the bowl - the suspect depth will be tested on January 1. 

10 hours ago, alexava said:

Kudos to the guys for doing what they do and fighting to the end. I would not have had any criticism for some future millionaires sitting out to secure that wealth. Hope and pray they come out the other side healthy and victorious. 

Would not hurt my feelings a bit to see them make cameo appearance only. Lot of future at stake. 

11 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Never doubted that Brown or Davidson would sit out.  That is just not who they are.

Why do people say things like this? It’s great they are playing but it is a indirect insult to those players who chose to sit out in the past. 

37 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Would not hurt my feelings a bit to see them make cameo appearance only. Lot of future at stake. 

Those guys didn’t decide to come back and play their last game just to play a couple plays and let younger guys just pass them by. They’re trying to get that 10th win. This isn’t A-day

4 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Those guys didn’t decide to come back and play their last game just to play a couple plays and let younger guys just pass them by. They’re trying to get that 10th win. This isn’t A-day

Never said it was A-day and never attempted to determine their reasoning. Obviously they want to be a part of the game. Simply said what would not hurt my feelings.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Why do people say things like this? It’s great they are playing but it is a indirect insult to those players who chose to sit out in the past. 

Because you can tell by the actions or how they carry themselves what they would typically would do.  Does that make sense?  For Brown, he has always said he came back to finish what he has started, and that journey is not over so I would not ever expect him to sit out.

Another example would be someone who says and shows how much they really love Auburn.  I would expect those to play.  Another player who approaches things as "business," I would put them more into the category of sitting out if they had the luxury to choose.

6 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Because you can tell by the actions or how they carry themselves what they would typically would do.  Does that make sense?  For Brown, he has always said he came back to finish what he has started, and that journey is not over so I would not ever expect him to sit out.

Another example would be someone who says and shows how much they really love Auburn.  I would expect those to play.  Another player who approaches things as "business," I would put them more into the category of sitting out if they had the luxury to choose.

I mean I respect your opinion just disagree with your premise. 

59 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

You might be right, but there's also a lot more to it than actually playing in the game. The trip down, the hotel, the locker room, the shwag, being on the sideline with the team, being there at the end one more time, Tampa... 

Just now, DAG said:

I mean I respect your opinion just disagree with your premise. 

You can just get a feel for how a player might lean if that makes sense.  For example, I actually thought Javaris Davis would sit out.

It is the same premise in the stock market world where you try to make decisions based off of the history and what they client has shown you they are tolerable for.

I am not for players sitting out personally but I will never rag anyone who does.  I didn't do it to Carlton Davis.  Just a simple preference and how I carry out my business in my professional life.

Total bias speaking, but I am really glad to see all of the seniors playing.  Purely for the simple fact we will never see them ever play again as an Auburn player.  That is really sad when you think about it.  You will never see Derick Brown in pads for Auburn after January 1st.  So let's do one last ride!  Make those memories!

1 hour ago, DAG said:

If the shoe fits.... Really the only one I had a problem with was C. Davis a couple years ago. He traveled, acted sick then was sent home before the game when, if I remember correctly it turned out he had no intention of playing. 

I suspect Marlon and Brown are not going live in contact practices and will play sparingly during the game. Especially if we take early control. 

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Never said it was A-day and never attempted to determine their reasoning. Obviously they want to be a part of the game. Simply said what would not hurt my feelings.

Of course it wouldn’t hurt your feelings. You’re not playing and they aren’t your kids

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Really?

I did yes.  The only reason I thought he would play is more tape for scouts because I have not heard much on him regarding the draft.

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

True Auburn men, and that's as good a compliment as anyone can get.

I am so proud of Derrick Brown and our other seniors. Character. Class. Leadership. A real love of Auburn and their teammates. I am very glad those undercover bammers did not get to them this year and persuade them not to play.

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

You can just get a feel for how a player might lean if that makes sense.  For example, I actually thought Javaris Davis would sit out.

It is the same premise in the stock market world where you try to make decisions based off of the history and what they client has shown you they are tolerable for.

I am not for players sitting out personally but I will never rag anyone who does.  I didn't do it to Carlton Davis.  Just a simple preference and how I carry out my business in my professional life.

Total bias speaking, but I am really glad to see all of the seniors playing.  Purely for the simple fact we will never see them ever play again as an Auburn player.  That is really sad when you think about it.  You will never see Derick Brown in pads for Auburn after January 1st.  So let's do one last ride!  Make those memories!

Carlton Davis embarrassed himself and his school. He made a fool out of Gus for trusting him. He played everyone and hurt his team. I have no respect for him. 

Archived