Morris will have 'a lot of influence' on offense

aubiefifty

Chad Morris will have 'a lot of influence' on offense

Updated Dec 12, 2019;Posted Dec 12, 2019

5-6 minutes

Auburn Football

AP

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn talks with Arkansas coach Chad Morris before an NCAA college football game, Saturday, Oct. 19, 2019 in Fayetteville, Ark. (AP Photo/Michael Woods)

Gus Malzahn will remain in charge of calling plays for Auburn during the Outback Bowl against Minnesota, but that could change next season under new offensive coordinator Chad Morris.

“I’m going to call the plays in the bowl game,” Malzahn said Thursday during an Outback Bowl event in Tampa, Fla., according to the Tampa Bay Times. “He’s going to assist me. He’ll kind of learn our guys and everything that goes with it. Next year, we’re still working through some things about how it’s going to go down, but he’ll have a lot of influence.”

Malzahn hired Morris, the former Arkansas coach who is one of his longtime friends in the coaching business, to take over as Auburn’s offensive coordinator on Tuesday following the departure of Kenny Dillingham after one season. Dillingham left Auburn to reunite with his mentor, Mike Norvell, at Florida State.

Malzahn needed just 27 hours to find Dillingham’s replacement, immediately targeting Morris, who was fired after less than two seasons as head coach at Arkansas, for the position.

“First of all, I’m blessed to have a chance to hire Chad Morris,” Malzahn said. "We go way back. He’s one of the best offensive minds I’ve been around. His track record’s proven. He’s the one that really got the thing going at Clemson. He beat me on Deshaun Watson. We came in second. I was disappointed. But I’m glad he’s on our team. He’s going to do a super job. He’s a great person. He’s a great recruiter and really develops great relationships with his players.”

Who call plays at Auburn has been a topic of contention in recent years during Malzahn’s tenure. The seventh-year head coach called plays for his first three-plus seasons before handing over responsibilities to then-offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee during the 2016 season. When Lashlee left for the same position at UConn and Malzahn hired Chip Lindsey as his successor before the 2017 season, Malzahn said he was retiring his playsheet and giving full control of the offense to Lindsey while he took on more of a CEO role.

Lindsey departed Auburn after two seasons, first making a brief stop as offensive coordinator at Kansas before being named head coach at Troy, and Malzahn tabbed Dillingham -- then Memphis’ offensive coordinator under Norvell -- to join his staff as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. Upon hiring Dillingham last December, however, Malzahn took back the reins of the offense and decided it was best for him to call plays once again. It was familiar territory for both Malzahn, who made his name as a play-caller and offensive mastermind, and Dillingham, who did not call plays during his one season as offensive coordinator at Memphis but was integral to game-planning during the week.

Malzahn said at SEC Media Days in July that the decision to ever give up play-calling at Auburn was a “mistake,” conceding he took some wrong advice while ceding full control of his offense. Earlier this season, Malzahn also admitted he “got bored the last couple of years” while not calling plays.

With Malzahn back at the helm of Auburn’s offense this season, the Tigers made some noticeable improvements from 2018 despite some notable struggles. Auburn went from 389.9 yards per game (79th nationally) and 30.9 points per game (43rd) to 421.1 yards (53rd) and 34 points per game (27th) this season. Malzahn’s opening-game scripts were also generally successful, while the Auburn coach also earned praise from his players for his second-half adjustments.

In hiring Morris, Malzahn brings on board one of his closest friends and most trusted confidants. The two have known each other for more than 15 years, with their career arcs somewhat mirroring each other over the years. Morris rose to prominence as a high school coach in Texas after multiple visits to see Malzahn in Arkansas, where Malzahn made a name for himself with his Hurry Up, No Huddle offense. Morris adopted some of those concepts and adapted them to his own offensive scheme throughout the years -- though his offenses have traditionally been more pass-heavy than Malzahn’s run-centric scheme -- while rising through the coaching ranks. After winning multiple state championships at the high school level in Texas, Morris went on to become offensive coordinator at Tulsa in 2010 before a four-year stint in the same role at Clemson, with Malzahn helping him get both of those jobs. Morris then got his first college head coaching gig in 2015 at SMU, where he spent three seasons before Arkansas hired him after the 2017 season to take over the Razorbacks’ program.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

It's good to know that the "Offensive Coordinator" will have "a lot of influence" on the Offense.  😂🤣

Nah. Excited for Morris to be our OC because he is an excellent coach/OC. When a quality coach is brought in and then has any statement made about him short of something like:”We are thrilled to have Chad come here to bring his offensive system to take us to the next level of success” (particularly given the recent history with Rhett/Chip/Dilly) skepticism is bound to be the first reaction. I hope Chad comes in and kicks ass but I’ll have to see something different than what I’ve seen recently before I get too excited.

The concern is inept QB play, discombobulated offenses, predictable play calls, weird substitution patterns, and ugly offensive production vs teams that recruit on our level have been a regular occurrence in the Gus era regardless of who is on the field and spans over 3 different OCs. It's not about always being unhappy, but when history and data indicate that it doesn't matter who we have with the OC title because the results look the exact same  then of course statements like "he will have a lot of influence on the O" will be met with skepticism and eye rolls.

The fact that he even has to make a statement clarifying that he will have influence on the O is pretty telling IMO

The ideal thing for Auburn is for Morris to settle in at Auburn with 3-4 yrs in mind.  Gives him time to gel with Gus as HC and for him return to the 'next hot name' list a HC candidate.   

Auburn would benefit from a proven QB developer on staff and maybe he can teach Gus how to make in game adjustments vs only halftime adjustments.  That's my hope.

Smh. Hey if whatever he comes up with develops a QB and wr, and if it helps him come to the conclusion hey I need to recruit good o linemen I'm with him....

52 minutes ago, Tiger said:

The concern is inept QB play, discombobulated offenses, predictable play calls, weird substitution patterns, and ugly offensive production vs teams that recruit on our level have been a regular occurrence in the Gus era regardless of who is on the field and spans over 3 different OCs. It's not about always being unhappy, but when history and data indicate that it doesn't matter who we have with the OC title because the results look the exact same  then of course statements like "he will have a lot of influence on the O" will be met with skepticism and eye rolls.

The fact that he even has to make a statement clarifying that he will have influence on the O is pretty telling IMO

Dangit! Just be happy!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Dangit! Just be happy!!!!!!

72, my brother, whyyyy did you change your avatar???

16 minutes ago, Tiger said:

72, my brother, whyyyy did you change your avatar???

Hey brother from another mother!  Eh, just feel like a fresh start.  I'm trying to determine my football mood to determine my new Avi.  I may go back as the '72 Amazins makes sense but like Gus' offenses, it was feeling stale. :rimshot:

12 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Hey brother from another mother!  Eh, just feel like a fresh start.  I'm trying to determine my football mood to determine my new Avi.  I may go back as the '72 Amazins makes sense but like Gus' offenses, it was feeling stale. :rimshot:

I can respect that!

19 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Try an Old English Sheepdog😜

5 minutes ago, fredst said:

Try an Old English Sheepdog😜

Love it!  How 'bout this?

7d0de86a7e9fb19602026411bb11a792.jpg

On 12/13/2019 at 11:15 AM, AUsince72 said:

I think something along the lines of this would be perfect for you. It fits perfectly. 

Screenshot_20191214-230026~2.png

I mean I get not being a Gus fan. I'm certainly not, but some of you guys just seem to be unhappy about everything. Gus isn't going anywhere but at least he hired the best OC available. Morris is as homerun a hire as Gus could have made. There are 3 coaches he fully trusts... Hugh Freeze, Mike Norvell, and Chad Morris. If there is anyone who actually could make a difference in the offense,  it's one of those 3. 

On 12/13/2019 at 11:22 AM, wde1968 said:

If he can at least get something besides a run up the gut after a first down/ big play that will be a breath of fresh air.

That changed this season. You must not have paid attention. We passed on 1st a LOT. 

9 hours ago, AdamsHouseCat said:

will hiring Chad allow Gus to trot out another retread version of the “same ole” Gus offense.

They run the same offense other than Morris having better passing concepts. Other than the passing concepts Morris could 100% take over the offense and the untrained eye wouldn't be able to tell a difference. 

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

That changed this season. You must not have paid attention. We passed on 1st a LOT

I didn't notice much change at all in the hurry up first down calls. Maybe we passed more on first downs after change of possession, time outs and running slower paced on offense but when we try to run pace the first down runs up the middle seem to be the go-to call for Gus. It's like it gives him time to plan for second and third downs. I just don't think he's changed that approach. 

He did make the best possible hire as you said. If he is willing to accept help or advice he's got the right man. 

6 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I didn't notice much change at all in the hurry up first down calls. Maybe we passed more on first downs after change of possession, time outs and running slower paced on offense but when we try to run pace the first down runs up the middle seem to be the go-to call for Gus. It's like it gives him time to plan for second and third downs. I just don't think he's changed that approach. 

He did make the best possible hire as you said. If he is willing to accept help or advice he's got the right man. 

Yeah we really didn’t do that run up the middle thing much like some are claiming. Bo pulled the ball and threw it pretty often this year to Stove or Seth 

It's going to be Gus's offense and Gus will call the plays. I think we can count on that. If Morris can update the passing schemes a bit and provide some useful suggestions along the way he will be doing exactly what he has been hired to do.

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Other than the passing concepts Morris could 100% take over the offense and the untrained eye wouldn't be able to tell a difference.

Believe it or not, the untrained eye is the least of our worries.  It’s the SEC DCs and their trained eye that will tell if things have changed.  As to the negativity, if you take a wait and see attitude with this hire, for some reason, you are to be #fanscolded for not being 100% on board as it is a *home run* hire.

I hope it turns out for the best, but this guy -much like Gus- hasn’t exactly set the world on fire the latter part of a decade. I would feel a lot better if Gus hired an offensive coordinator outside of his particular box and actually gave them the job. Morris is pretty much out of the same school as Gus offensively and has had an even worse transition to  a head SEC job. And I think it’s safe to assume his input will be highly limited. I expect him to be looking over this next year and take another job by next season. This was like most Gus hires... easy and uninspired.

4 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

I hope it turns out for the best, but this guy -much like Gus- hasn’t exactly set the world on fire the latter part of a decade. I would feel a lot better if Gus hired an offensive coordinator outside of his particular box and actually gave them the job. Morris is pretty much out of the same school as Gus offensively and has had an even worse transition to  a head SEC job. And I think it’s safe to assume his input will be highly limited. I expect him to be looking over this next year and take another job by next season. This was like most Gus hires... easy and uninspired.

Easy and uninspired would have been to just promote Kodi Burns. This is the 1st OC under Gus I didn't have to Google. 

I think Morris will help with passing schemes and QB development. Also boosts recruiting. 

Archived