Malzahn discusses Auburn’s wild Iron Bowl win

aubiefifty

al.com

Live Updates: Gus Malzahn discusses Auburn’s wild Iron Bowl win against Alabama

Updated 7:03 PM;Today 6:51 PM

3-4 minutes

Auburn Football

Laura Chramer

Auburn upended Alabama in a wild Iron Bowl on Saturday, holding on for a 48-45 win at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn will meet with the media after the game to review his team’s big win. AL.com will provide live updates of Malzahn’s remarks in the space below, so be sure to refresh the page for all the latest news and information.

GUS MALZAHN

-- “Obviously a big win for us. So proud of our team.”

-- Knew the season would be a gauntlet, but the players hung in there despite the losses. Says they felt they had the better team coming into the game.

-- First half was “crazy” with a lot of momentum swings.

-- Second half was a battle. Alabama’s receivers are “special good.”

-- Auburn still has a chance to win 10 games, which is a big accomplishment against that schedule.

-- Proud of Bo Nix in his first Iron Bowl protecting the ball. Two pick-sixes were “incredible.”

-- “We beat an excellent team with excellent players and a really good coach.”

-- On halftime statement about winning: “Our crowd has a lot to do with that, and our guys believed. Our crowd willed us.”

-- “How about that? I took three points off the board in the Iron Bowl, and he comes back and he makes it.” Proud of Anders Carlson tonight, going 4-for-4, all from at least 43 yards.

-- Tough runs by the offense, got close to goal of 200 yards on the ground.

-- On Shaun Shivers’ touchdown: “He ran the guy over, knocked his helmet off and got in the end zone.”

-- Offense finishing drives: “We’re getting better. We’ve grown, and our quarterback’s grown.”

-- Bo Nix “has something special to him.” Reiterates he’s confident Nix will win a championship at Auburn.

-- Malzahn is the only coach to beat Nick Saban three times. “This is Auburn, and they’re Alabama. This is the best rivalry in college football. It’s not about me. It’s about our players.”

-- Again notes that they have a chance to win 10 games, which he says is “a real special thing.”

-- Says they’ve been “fortunate enough” to have fans storm the field three times. Called it wild.

-- Has beaten Alabama both times that one second has been put back on the clock: “It gave us the momentum. It wasn’t just the three points. It gave us the momentum going into the locker room. We just wanted to get to the fourth quarter.”

-- On final Alabama penalty, tried to keep their punt returner off the field.

-- On Derrick Brown’s pass deflection on third down on Alabama’s final drive: “I think Derrick’s the best defensive player in college football.” Called that play huge.

AL.com will update this post.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

5 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

“How about that? I took three points off the board in the Iron Bowl, and he comes back and he makes it.” Proud of Anders Carlson tonight, going 4-for-4, all from at least 43 yards.

LOL @ this

Nick crying about that second.............lol

Nick Saban :"I really feel that it was an unfair play at the end of the game. They substituted the punter as a WR so we put the punt team in. And then when the QB was still in there we tried to put the defense back in. Uhhh I thought they should have given us a little more time to substitute and get Waddle out as a returner. We get called for 12 guys on the field. So that was very disappointing. Uh we are responsible for that as coaches but it was a very unusual circumstance to say the least. And I think you know sometimes when you have those they should be viewed that way." 

So you are saying that you made a mistake, but that you don't think that you should have been penalized for it.

Then you are saying that it should be viewed "that way". What way? Oh you mean YOUR WAY. Sounds like Saban. 

Archived