Justin Fuente candidate for Arkansas job

aubiefifty

Virginia Tech’s Justin Fuente Is Being Linked To The Arkansas Head Coaching Job

© Steve Mitchell-USA TODAY Sports
College football reporter Dan Wolken has heard talk about Virginia Tech head coach Justin Fuente being a potential target for Arkansas. Per USA Today...
quote:
One name that has consistently come up as a potential target is Virginia Tech’s Justin Fuente. Though Arkansas would be a tougher place to win, Fuente has deep family ties nearby in his native Oklahoma and could get away from a Virginia Tech fan base that hasn’t completely appreciated how difficult a job he faced after Frank Beamer let the program slip over his final few years. Arkansas could undoubtedly offer Fuente more than the $4 million a year he currently makes

That would be a good hire if they can convince him to come to a team that is a mixture of two recruiting styles.  I still say Arky pulled the trigger on Morris too quick.  He was trying to run a speed offense with Three Yards and a Cloud of Dust players.  That was the problem, he wanted to play the young guys he recruited and the upper classmen didn’t like it so it put the entire team in turmoil. 

If Arky can give him time he could probably do well there. According to some Tech fans, most just don't appreciate the mess he inherited when Beamer retired and the turnaround he's built up even this year.

Guarantee you though, any mess real or perceived left by Frank Beamer pales in comparison to the mess in Fayetteville. That was dumpster fire well before Chad Morris came in and poured gasoline on it. 🔥

56 minutes ago, around4ever said:

That would be a good hire if they can convince him to come to a team that is a mixture of two recruiting styles.  I still say Arky pulled the trigger on Morris too quick.  He was trying to run a speed offense with Three Yards and a Cloud of Dust players.  That was the problem, he wanted to play the young guys he recruited and the upper classmen didn’t like it so it put the entire team in turmoil. 

JMO but the magnitude of the losses was a major factor for Morris.....just did not seem to have the team behind him.

....JF might have arrived at a bad time ...was told to keep his DC and Beamer appears to have let things slide before he left.    I get the idea that many at VT would not mind if he left.  They have had some bad losses in his time there...

1 hour ago, around4ever said:

You just can’t run your starting QB off and have him come back and blow you out with a C-USA team.

Not an exact comparison but it would be similar to Joey Gatewood going to UAB and coming back to Auburn next year and winning 45-19. Gus wouldn’t make it out of the stadium if it was year 2 or not.

9 hours ago, gohogs14 said:

Gus wouldn’t make it out of the stadium if it was year 2 or not.

He would at Auburn...heavy sigh

Rumor from our 247 board that we’re going to try to lure away Matt Campbell for $6 million with Kiffin as the fallback option. We’ve met with Norvell but he wants to wait on FSU first.

9 minutes ago, gohogs14 said:

Rumor from our 247 board that we’re going to try to lure away Matt Campbell for $6 million with Kiffin as the fallback option. We’ve met with Norvell but he wants to wait on FSU first.

Campbell would be interesting. Done a good job at ISU

58 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Campbell would be interesting. Done a good job at ISU

He seems to be a good coach.  He would be on my radar to replace Gus except we really don’t need another anything from Iowa State.

33 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

He seems to be a good coach.  He would be on my radar to replace Gus except we really don’t need another anything from Iowa State.

Damn straight

On 11/27/2019 at 7:28 PM, bigbird said:

He would at Auburn...heavy sigh

Yeah, but would he be better than Gus? Him, Cristobal....all pretenders to Gus’ greatness. The only coach better than Gus (maybe) would be Saban and Gus owns him,I.e. has beaten him twice. 

They have all sorts of candidates linked to Arky. It's been fun to read the pros/cons of several from the piggy point of view...Mike Leach, Mike Norvell (rumored to be more interested in FSU), Petrino, Sam Pittman, Lane Kiffin, Houston Nutt (!)...

Ark jist...wants a home guy...ready to settle down and build.

Interesting Gus rationale...

"Like Norvell, Auburn’s Malzahn is considered an Arkansas guy (he played and coached at Arkansas), and like Norvell, he could continue on and build with the type of player Morris was recruiting. That should be considered a key element in the coaching search. Not only would it prevent another roster overhaul, but it would follow a successful trend of offense that Alabama brought to the SEC and one that LSU is now employing with tremendous success."

3 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

They have all sorts of candidates linked to Arky. It's been fun to read the pros/cons of several from the piggy point of view...Mike Leach, Mike Norvell (rumored to be more interested in FSU), Petrino, Sam Pittman, Lane Kiffin, Houston Nutt (!)...

Ark jist...wants a home guy...ready to settle down and build.

Interesting Gus rationale...

"Like Norvell, Auburn’s Malzahn is considered an Arkansas guy (he played and coached at Arkansas), and like Norvell, he could continue on and build with the type of player Morris was recruiting. That should be considered a key element in the coaching search. Not only would it prevent another roster overhaul, but it would follow a successful trend of offense that Alabama brought to the SEC and one that LSU is now employing with tremendous success."

I only laugh at the idea that Bama and LSU brought the offense to the SEC. I would say they perfected the formula that was already started by Gus. They adapted in a way he seems incapable. 

39 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I only laugh at the idea that Bama and LSU brought the offense to the SEC. I would say they perfected the formula that was already started by Gus. They adapted in a way he seems incapable. 

Amen. Gave that phrase a sideways look, too.  (The irony, though!)

adaptation.png

22 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Fuente’s VTech team lost to unranked but pretty good Virginia team. Virginia hasn’t won in 15 years.  Does that dim Fuente’s star any?  

I'm thinking star-dimming is in the eye of the beholder and that everyone has an agenda. Mine's no secret...wage-worthy results for the wage in play and observable, measurable evidence of growth and steady improvement over time. As a bonus, I'd love a Pearlesque-enthusiasm-generating-unifying-vision-casting personality too, but I'm just like that. 

Plenty of Arky research on my watch points to wanting someone who really loves Ark and wants to stay for a while and build, not move on. That's why my mind can't close the book yet. 😃😉

Archived