had to ‘beat the refs’ and Georgia

aubiefifty

al.com

Marlon Davidson: It felt like Auburn had to ‘beat the refs’ and Georgia

Today 6:00 AM

5-6 minutes

Auburn Football

AP

Gus Malzahn skirted around the topic Saturday evening, only alluding to it in the aftermath of Auburn’s 21-14 loss to Georgia.

The Tigers had no one to blame but themselves for the deflating loss to the Bulldogs — one in which the offense was stymied for 48 minutes before trying to mount a late rally — but they still couldn’t help but wonder what could have been.

“We had some very inopportune things happen against us that were very tough,” Malzahn said.

Auburn’s seventh-year coach only addressed one directly, an overturned catch by Seth Williams late in the game that ultimately ground a potential game-tying drive to a halt, but there were a few key calls that could have gone Auburn’s way but didn’t in the team’s third straight loss to one of its two biggest rivals.

Along with that overturned catch from Williams, who finished with 13 receptions for 121 yards, Auburn saw a successful onside kick recovery overturned after officials, post-replay, flagged Anthony Schwartz for an illegal block before the ball traveled 10 yards. A clear grabbing of Bo Nix’s facemask late in the fourth quarter also went uncalled, as Auburn’s offense ran out of steam in the closing minutes.

“It felt like they were against us,” defensive end Marlon Davidson said. “I cannot lie about that. It hurts because I feel like some of the calls should’ve went the other way, for sure. They were getting more calls than we got, but (I) can’t speak on the refs; that’s their decision to make. But, you know, it just hurts when you see games being taken away by refs.

“You have to beat the refs and the team. That’s very hard to do, no matter what team you are.”

The onside kick overturn came after Auburn scored its first touchdown of the game with 10:04 to play. Following Nix’s 3-yard touchdown pass to Eli Stove to get the Tigers on the board, Auburn attempted a surprise onside kick on the ensuing kickoff, catching Georgia off-guard. Linebacker Zakoby McClain ultimately recovered the ball after a scrum 11 or 12 yards downfield, but before Auburn’s drive could commence, the play went to replay review.

Officials then overturned it, calling a 5-yard penalty on Schwartz and forcing Auburn to re-kick it. The Tigers decided to kick it deep, and the defense followed with another forced three-and-out — one of its nine for the game.

The most frustrating call for Auburn, though, had to be the overturn of Williams’ would-be 17-yard reception. After Auburn cut it to a one-score game with 7:03 to play, the defense forced another three-and-out and gave the Tigers the ball back with 6 minutes to play and 72 yards between them and the game-tying score.

Auburn proceeded to march across midfield, getting all the way to Georgia’s 39-yard. Then, on second-and-7, Nix appeared to connect with Williams down the left sideline for a 17-yard gain. Williams looked to get both feet in, and it was initially ruled a catch, giving Auburn first-and-10 at the Georgia 23.

“Looked like an NFL catch to me,” Malzahn said.

Officials reviewed the catch before Auburn could get another play off, and they ruled that Williams did not have full possession of the ball before going out of bounds. Instead of first-and-10 on the edge of the red zone, Auburn faced third-and-7 from the 39.

“Everybody saw it was a catch, but you can’t take it away,” Williams said. “They took it away from me, but I’m not going to be mad about it. That wasn’t a crucial part of the game. We had more chances than that, but it was a catch. I think it was a catch.”

Nix picked up 5 yards on a third-down run after the review, setting up fourth-and-2. He had an opportunity to extend the drive, but he misfired on a rollout to Harold Joiner in the flat, throwing it slightly behind the running back, who dropped what would have been a first down.

“You have to play with whatever the officials — whatever they say goes, and you learn from it,” Nix said. “From grade school all the way up to the NFL, officials are a part of the game. (The overturned reception) definitely hurt our drive, you could definitely tell, but we should have executed. We had two more plays after that — third and manageable and then a fourth down.”

Even then, Auburn had one final shot after the defense — which limited Georgia to 2 yards of offense in the fourth quarter — forced another three-and-out. The offense came up empty on the final drive, which included the missed Nix facemask call against Georgia, as Auburn’s offense failed to pick up another yard before Nix was sacked on fourth down to seal the game.

“I think everybody could see we’ve got a good football team,” Malzahn said. “We’ve had some tough, close losses; that was another one.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• WarTiger changed the title to had to ‘beat the refs’ and Georgia

I don't think the refs determined the outcome of the game, but seeing that facemask on Bo not get called, and hearing the refs yelling GM and the Auburn staff what sounded like, "they can't keep playing that s***ty ball!" while holding up the play makes me wonder. 

Once again the defense did enough to win the game, and even if AU had a mediocre offense they would've blown UGA out. Bo had a helluva second half and I think he'll be the future whether Gus stays or goes. 

9 minutes ago, Browning4AU said:

I don't think the refs determined the outcome of the game, but seeing that facemask on Bo not get called, and hearing the refs yelling GM and the Auburn staff what sounded like, "they can't keep playing that s***ty ball!" while holding up the play makes me wonder. 

Once again the defense did enough to win the game, and even if AU had a mediocre offense they would've blown UGA out. Bo had a helluva second half and I think he'll be the future whether Gus stays or goes. 

they were warned about stadium music not being turned off soon enough before play snaps is my understanding. you got that sh*tty  ball floating in your head. why in the world would a ref tell a coach his team is playing like crap and holding up the snap? good grief. i understand the eagerness of many wanting to slam gus but lets not just throw anything out there and see if it sticks. trust me in the fact that gus has plenty of legit stuff folks can pounce on.

Maybe the refs are just doing their part to help us Auburn fans out.

I mean, in another thread, reportedly the head ref (potentially) offered to mercifully end the game early.

Maybe they're trying to expedite AU's coaching search.

Be kind.

46 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

they were warned about stadium music not being turned off soon enough before play snaps is my understanding. you got that sh*tty  ball floating in your head. why in the world would a ref tell a coach his team is playing like crap and holding up the snap? good grief. i understand the eagerness of many wanting to slam gus but lets not just throw anything out there and see if it sticks. trust me in the fact that gus has plenty of legit stuff folks can pounce on.

Maybe I wasn't clear in what I was saying because nowhere in my post was I slamming Gus. What I did say was the refs were yelling at Gus and the staff over something and that's what it sounded like they were saying. While they were yelling at them, the refs were standing over the ball keeping it from being snapped. 

Don't understand what I said that made the overall tone of your post seem hostile. 

4 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

I keep seeing little snippets about the refs yelling at our coaching at the end. Who were they yelling at?

Oh, you could see it on TV.  The head ref was yelling directly at Gus.

Then Gus turned with this "what? me?" look on his face.

1 minute ago, Browning4AU said:

Maybe I wasn't clear in what I was saying because nowhere in my post was I slamming Gus. What I did say was the refs were yelling at Gus and the staff over something and that's what it sounded like they were saying. While they were yelling at them, the refs were standing over the ball keeping it from being snapped. 

Don't understand what I said that made the overall tone of your post seem hostile. 

sorry...... you said you thought it was a ref telling gus {basically} we suck? come on man. the fact you thought that and printed is telling. and why am i hostile for pointing this out? look you said it and i do not want to argument but now you are waffling. there is no misunderstanding that i can see. and this post is nothing more than pointing out the facts. but if you can do so tell me why you thought the refs were holding up the snap because gus has a crappy team? i am pretty sure most folks that have no axe to grind with me would agree. i will reply to you while i am on the board as long as it does not get nasty.

7 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

I keep seeing little snippets about the refs yelling at our coaching at the end. Who were they yelling at?

Can't remember where exactly it was but it was after the first TD in the 4th quarter right after UGA went 3 and out. I believe it was the first play of that drive but I'm not sure. 

5 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Then Gus turned with this "what? me?" look on his face.

I think he was looking for someone else to blame when he turned around.  I might have misinterpreted. 

it was the music guys.auburn did it a bunch until the refs called us on it. a.

5 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

sorry...... you said you thought it was a ref telling gus {basically} we suck? come on man. the fact you thought that and printed is telling. and why am i hostile for pointing this out? look you said it and i do not want to argument but now you are waffling. there is no misunderstanding that i can see. and this post is nothing more than pointing out the facts. but if you can do so tell me why you thought the refs were holding up the snap because gus has a crappy team? i am pretty sure most folks that have no axe to grind with me would agree. i will reply to you while i am on the board as long as it does not get nasty.

I'm not waffling. Nothing from my first post to the second post changed at all. The refs were indeed yelling at the Auburn staff at some point in the 4th quarter and while doing so held up the play. 

EDIT: Additionally, I added what I said I thought it sounded like he said. Not that he definitely said it. 

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

I think he was looking for someone else to blame when he turned around.  I might have misinterpreted. 

No, I suspect you're exactly right.

1 minute ago, Browning4AU said:

I'm not waffling.

So THAT'S what Gus said afterwards....

:beer2:

Just now, Browning4AU said:

I'm not waffling. Nothing from my first post to the second post changed at all. The refs were indeed yelling at the Auburn staff at some point in the 4th quarter and while doing so held up the play. 

one last time. when have you ever seen a ref of any sporting event stop play to tell a coach  his team sucks? that would almost sound like the ref has money on the game. see what i am saying? it is not done. ever. it is ok to be upset over the game. so why would anyone use that excuse?

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

one last time. when have you ever seen a ref of any sporting event stop play to tell a coach  his team sucks? that would almost sound like the ref has money on the game. see what i am saying? it is not done. ever. it is ok to be upset over the game. so why would anyone use that excuse?

Some are using this as humor Fiddy.  I don't think anyone really believes this.  It's just one of the few bits of humor available to milk out of a situation like this.

Just now, aubiefifty said:

I'm not even upset nor making excuses. AU didn't deserve to win the game by the way they played, not because the refs screwed them out of the game.  Don't know how many times I have to say it, but it "SOUNDED" like that is what he said. If I really have to spell it out because people have a hard time reading between the lines, I have no idea what he said, but as I watched it last night, that's what I thought I heard. 

Good grief, man. I don't know what got your panties all in a wad over me saying that. 

Just now, Browning4AU said:

I'm not even upset nor making excuses. AU didn't deserve to win the game by the way they played, not because the refs screwed them out of the game.  Don't know how many times I have to say it, but it "SOUNDED" like that is what he said. If I really have to spell it out because people have a hard time reading between the lines, I have no idea what he said, but as I watched it last night, that's what I thought I heard. 

Good grief, man. I don't know what got your panties all in a wad over me saying that. 

because it sounded like you pulled your reasons out of your behind. why would it have to be the refs talking about how sorry we are? my point is people pile on gus so much they often make stuff up when all they have to do is stick with the facts. what you thought you heard said was far from the truth and your mind for whatever reason chose to say what i believe you were thinking in your heart and it slipped out. look this thread will get locked if we continue. i am not changing my stance and neither are you. now we are beating a dead hoorse.

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

because it sounded like you pulled your reasons out of your behind. why would it have to be the refs talking about how sorry we are? my point is people pile on gus so much they often make stuff up when all they have to do is stick with the facts. what you thought you heard said was far from the truth and your mind for whatever reason chose to say what i believe you were thinking in your heart and it slipped out. look this thread will get locked if we continue. i am not changing my stance and neither are you. now we are beating a dead hoorse.

Watch the link then we'll continue the conversation I guess. 

this is what a couple of other posters said when it came up. the music was pushing it close and i was concerned as some teams use the music to their advantage and i know we were pushing it because the music was cutting it very close.. it has been addressed by officials before. and i have no problems admitting i could be wrong.unless you were being funny like 72 suggested i stand by what i said. it could very well have been a sideline warning or something to that effect. it was not because an official wanted to stop play and tell gus his team sucks. come on man.

47 minutes ago, Browning4AU said:

He's talking about the band playing when the center, and perhaps when the ref/umpire was over the ball. He said, "the game ends next time they do." You can hear it just beforehand. I'm 99% sure this is what that was about. 

Archived