Defense, a loud Jordan-Hare problem for Georgia

aubiefifty

Auburn defense, a loud Jordan-Hare problem for Georgia

Updated 8:10 AM;Today 6:29 AM

6-8 minutes

Unless Georgia and Alabama kick the daylights out of Auburn, War Eagle fans, maybe not all of them, can look forward to another year of Gus Malzahn developing his young quarterback Bo Nix.

Just to be clear, it would take something seismic for a coaching change at Auburn anytime soon. Malzahn’s job is safe.

And why shouldn't it be? His Tigers are 7-2, ranked 11th in the nation, 12th in the College Playoff Rankings, and their only losses are to No. 10 Florida and No. 1 LSU.

If the 2 1/2-point underdog Tigers can take down No. 4 (CFP) Georgia (8-1) Saturday in the South’s Oldest Rivalry, this could be a 9-3 or 10-2 season depending on what happens in the Iron Bowl, which happens to be at Jordan-Hare Stadium and you know what happened the last time. Auburn 26, Alabama 14.

I am assuming, of course, Auburn doesn't shock the college football world by losing to Samford next week.

The point is, so far, so good.

Outside of the Auburn fan base, I’m not sure the Tigers are getting much love to get past Georgia, which if they do would kill Georgia’s chances of getting to the College Football Playoff, even if the Bulldogs advanced to Atlanta and defeated what we think would be an unbeaten LSU team.

This is not the year to have two losses on your resume. Not if one is to 4-6 South Carolina at home.

Playing Georgia at home, in one of the loudest and craziest stadiums in the country, is why the Vegas sports books see Georgia-Auburn going deep into the fourth quarter. And there is this: Each of the Tigers’ last three wins against the Bulldogs has been in Jordan-Hare.

Considering how Auburn plays defense this year, allowing 17.4 points and 117 yards rushing, the Dawgs are going to have a tough time crossing the goal line. But if they do get as far as the red zone, they are one of the best at getting in, scoring on 38 of 39 possessions.

Their field goal kicker has been a big part of the success. Rodrigo Blankenship has converted 19 of 22 attempts. Auburn's Anders Carlson has hit 12 of 17. He is not his brother Daniel, who was a threat anytime the Tigers crossed midfield.

This week's picks:

Georgia vs. Auburn

Auburn's got an experienced offensive line, but 124 yards rushing against Florida and 130 against LSU doesn't help Nix and the hurry-up game against Georgia. It also doesn't help that Georgia's defense leads the SEC in every major statistical category. One category that jumps out is how many rushing touchdowns the Dawgs have allowed this year. They're the only team, Division I, II or III, that has yet to give up a touchdown on the ground.

When the game is over, Nix’s stat line can’t be shaky.

Florida and LSU made Nix a nervous wreck when he needed to throw. Against Florida, Nix was 11 of 27 for 145 yards and three picks. Against LSU, he was 15 of 35 for 157 and one interception.

For Auburn to win, Malzahn’s playbook will be telling with how he gets Nix and the playmakers around him (Seth Williams, Anthony Schwartz) in sync.

With the exception of Auburn’s defensive line, maybe even its receiving corps, Georgia likely has the edge everywhere else. Nix is the X-factor. If he can’t put up respectable passing numbers, Auburn doesn’t need to get off the bus. If the running game can’t run, more bad news. What the Tigers can count on is their defense and Jake Fromm having issues trying to engineer ways to move the ball against that defense. And then there is Jordan-Hare, which often turns into a house off horrors for teams like Georgia, which can lock up the SEC East with a win.

Auburn 23, Georgia 21

Alabama vs. Mississippi State

State has a 1,000-yard rusher in Kylin Hill, who is NFL worthy but maybe no Clyde Edwards-Helaire. Hill is going to be a 100-yard headache unless Alabama has fixed its tackling problems. Outside of Hill, State’s offense doesn’t have a lot of firepower. Or its defense. Through nine games State is last in the league with 13 sacks. That’s going to play well for the Tide, whether Tua Tagovialoa or Mac Jones is at quarterback.

At 4-5, the 19-point underdog Bulldogs need two more wins to reach bowl eligibility. Alabama is not going to be one of them. Abilene State and Ole Miss, maybe.

If the Tide doesn't have an LSU hangover, this game shouldn't be close.

Alabama 50, Mississippi State 21

UTEP vs. UAB

Let's call it for what it was - a rear end kicking. Southern Miss buried UAB 37-2 last week in Hattiesburg and that pretty much took care of the Blazers defending their Conference USA title.

Now what?

At 6-3, UAB is bowl eligible. But veteran quarterback Tyler Johnston, who sat out last week's game with a knee injury, needs to be available in two weeks when C-USA West leader Louisiana Tech (8-1, 5-0) visits Birmingham. UTEP is in a tailspin and opportunity knocks for a seventh win whether Johnston or redshirt freshman Dylan Hopkins is in the lineup. The 17-point underdog Miners (1-8) are winless in the league and have dropped eight in a row. Not much offense, not much defense.

UAB 30, UTEP 13

Louisiana vs. South Alabama

Billy Napier, the former Alabama assistant, is using last Sunday’s game between 1-7 Atlanta and 7-1 New Orleans in the Big Easy to show what can happen if your team’s focus is not focused. The Falcons shocked the Saints 26-9. Napier, whose Ragin’ Cajuns are 7-2, play host to the 1-8 Jaguars, who are a 26 1/2-point underdog. “The reality is, when you turn on the TV and watch South Alabama you don’t see that record,” Napier said during his press conference this week. "You see an explosive skill player and one of the best backs in the conference (in Tra Minter). ...Then defensively, they’re some of the more explosive front players in our conference.”

Louisiana is in first place in the Sun Belt West and that isn’t likely to change this weekend.

Louisiana 35, South Alabama 20

SEC

Florida 36, Missouri 14

Kentucky 21, Vanderbilt 17

LSU 38, Ole Miss 17

Texas A&M 30, South Carolina 14

Surprises

No. 18 Iowa 26, No. 17 Minnesota 21

No. 13 10-point underdog Baylor 37, No. 10 Oklahoma 35

Iowa State 40, seven-point underdog No. 19 Texas 36

Other games

Troy 40, Texas State 13

Penn State 28, Indiana 20

Wisconsin 31, Nebraska 14

Michigan 27, Michigan State 14

Oklahoma State 35, Kansas 21

Clemson 38, Wake Forest 14

Kansas State 30, West Virginia 17

Memphis 40, Houston 20

Oregon 33, Arizona 17

Last week: 12-8

Season: 158-62

Charles Hollis has covered college football since 1983. He can be reached at budcoin@msn.com

I am a little worried about Jordan Hare. This weather is dreadful and it’s after lunch on Friday. It better clear out quickly or I won’t even make the tailgate tomorrow in this mess.  I know it sounds bad but I still haven’t warmed back up from the Ole Miss game. We really need a packed and loud stadium tomorrow. I fear this weather plays into UGAs favor. Even at this point the ground is going to be slick and muddy. I hope this does not hurt our defense. 

35 minutes ago, Beenjammin said:

I am a little worried about Jordan Hare. This weather is dreadful and it’s after lunch on Friday. It better clear out quickly or I won’t even make the tailgate tomorrow in this mess.  I know it sounds bad but I still haven’t warmed back up from the Ole Miss game. We really need a packed and loud stadium tomorrow. I fear this weather plays into UGAs favor. Even at this point the ground is going to be slick and muddy. I hope this does not hurt our defense. 

i posted the gameday article for tomorrows game and i believe they said it would be pretty nice overall.  shrugs. take it for what it is worth.

38 minutes ago, Beenjammin said:

Forecast is for clear skies and low sixties whats not to like?

Bourbon men, a lot of Bourbon will warm you to the core. 

I'm packing up and heading over there in an hour, ready to party tonight and rock it tomorrow.  O0

shame they do not still sell those long trumpet like noise makers they used to sell back when i was a kid. i had one but i believe it disappeared in the night while i was asleep.........lol

5 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

shame they do not still sell those long trumpet like noise makers they used to sell back when i was a kid. i had one but i believe it disappeared in the night while i was asleep.........lol

My son's did when he was 5 or 6

id your son ever try to bonk you with it bird? i was a bonker..............and i have been bonkers every since. be glad you have saved your sone from a life of bonkerdom..........lol. and no sir i am not buzzed yet. grins.

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

War Eagle fans

I really hate being referred to as "War Eagles" or "War Eagle fans" it just sounds weird. Further confuses people that it's a war cry and not a mascot.

can look forward to another year of Gus Malzahn developing his young quarterback Bo Nix.

Oof, there's not much developing or anyone looking forward to this. Some might be tolerant of it but few are at the excitement level this implies.

Just to be clear, it would take something seismic for a coaching change at Auburn anytime soon. Malzahn’s job is safe.

I wonder if this is true? Frankly two double digit losses to Georgia and Alabama should do the job. Personally, he'd be gone regardless of how this season ends for me.

Outside of the Auburn fan base, I’m not sure the Tigers are getting much love to get past Georgia, which if they do would kill Georgia’s chances of getting to the College Football Playoff, even if the Bulldogs advanced to Atlanta and defeated what we think would be an unbeaten LSU team.

Eh, even the Auburn fanbase isn't too positive other than wanting it so bad.

Playing Georgia at home, in one of the loudest and craziest stadiums in the country, is why the Vegas sports books see Georgia-Auburn going deep into the fourth quarter. And there is this: Each of the Tigers’ last three wins against the Bulldogs has been in Jordan-Hare.

Agreed, being at home is tremendously beneficial.

Considering how Auburn plays defense this year, allowing 17.4 points and 117 yards rushing, the Dawgs are going to have a tough time crossing the goal line. But if they do get as far as the red zone, they are one of the best at getting in, scoring on 38 of 39 possessions.

It's their air game that worries me. If Fromm played like he did against Florida (and the refs call the game the same) we're in trouble.

Their defense is rather concerning as well.

Screw it though, let's beat these mutts and try to help Florida slide into the SEC East championship instead (if possible).

48 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

Forecast is for clear skies and low sixties whats not to like?

Yea my wife keeps telling me this also, but Im gonna have to go with what I actually see and feel outside right now vs a prediction. Even if it stops this rain/misty mess right now, the ground is gonna be a mud pit. Be sure to bring your 4x4s cause it could turn into one heck of a mudder out there. Maybe Ill get my truck, a toe rope, and a sign that reads: "$25 per each stuck car pull out"

The weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow. The students have been advised to dress according so hopefully they will bring a coat for after the sun goes down! I am expecting a great atmosphere and maximum noise from the crowd. His last trip to Jordan Hare has to be in the back of Fromm’s mind. I will be there expecting the upset. War Eagle!

Auburn has a great atmosphere. The love for the University oozes from the fans. But Jordan-Hare is not loud because the stadium is poorly designed.  

So Charles Hollis thinks six years of 8-4 is still acceptable at Auburn. He would be right if this was 1970.  Hope he is wrong . Not sure he is though. 

3 hours ago, Beenjammin said:

I intend on driving up there around 7 or 8 and the forecast has it being sunny during that time period. Field and seats should be dry (enough) by game time if that held. Its also supposed to be relatively warm by the beginning of the game so hopefully the game is still interesting by the time it becomes cold.

3 hours ago, Beenjammin said:

Wisconsin laughs at your fear of the weather 

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

My son's did when he was 5 or 6

Has he asked for a drum set yet? 😁

How is he feeling, Bird? 🙏

6 hours ago, wde21 said:

The weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow. The students have been advised to dress according so hopefully they will bring a coat for after the sun goes down! I am expecting a great Altman’s maximum noise from the crowd. His last trip to Jordan Hare has to be in the back of Fromm’s mind. I will be there expecting the upset. War Eagle!

Hopin’ you’re right👍

My wife asked me a great question: do they cover the field the day before when it’s raining like they do at  baseball stadiums?

I was stumped. 

Anybody know?

13 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

It is now my mission tomorrow to find The Nature Boy and have a beer with the man.

I hope Chuck is with y'all as well!!!

1 hour ago, Auskip said:

My wife asked me a great question: do they cover the field the day before when it’s raining like they do at  baseball stadiums?

I was stumped. 

Anybody know?

No they don’t.  They have a drainage system that is fairly efficient.  The only time it was overloaded was the WVU game in 2009.  

53 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

No they don’t.  They have a drainage system that is fairly efficient.  The only time it was overloaded was the WVU game in 2009.  

Chris Todd's best game as a Auburn Tiger!!! Wooo!!! What a amazing game!! Thanks for the nostalgia trip! Lol

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

It is now my mission tomorrow to find The Nature Boy and have a beer with the man.

the guy is truly awesome. went to same high school with some of his kids. had a couple conversations with him. he would always stop and acknowledge you giving his signature call. and always laughing and enjoying anyone's company. been thru hell and back and always trying to give positive vibe. 

Archived