Coach Steele

aubiefifty

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Yeah, I still have to ask Steele wtf happened in the Moo State game last year and the Tennessee game. Both of those teams ran maybe three plays on us and we just never looked right. Don't think the team wanted those games bad enough; only thing that makes sense to me. 

i think one or two cats on d got disgusted with us not scoring and mostly quit and it spread like a flu bug. that is just a thought as i have no idea. but the msu loss with them running up the middle all game long has to be on steele. but i am not sure i would notice if he made adjustments at halftime or not.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

i think one or two cats on d got disgusted with us not scoring and mostly quit and it spread like a flu bug. that is just a thought as i have no idea. but the msu loss with them running up the middle all game long has to be on steele. but i am not sure i would notice if he made adjustments at halftime or not.

It seems the middle of our defense is a common weakness at times. I think it's because we have two linebackers most of the time and with so many spread out offenses one linebacker is off in coverage leaving a 1-on-1 MLB situation assuming the 4 DL do their jobs as well. 5 OL, 1 mobile QB, and 1 RB against 5 defenders is a mismatch.

14 minutes ago, shabby said:

And the other ranks third in Auburn coaches for wins over ranked opponents. All this trash talk about how terrible Malzahn is not evidenced by his record. Just a bunch of whiny fans being whiny fans

6-14...

57 minutes ago, shabby said:

Without Gus, Steele wouldn't have a job here. I fully remember how critical everyone was here when Gus made this hire. 

With Steele, the case can be made that Gus has had a lengthier season to prove himself able to handle the role as HC of AU than he might have been allowed elsewhere. I will NEVER forget the spark from that one change alone from Coach Steele's bowl game debut with us. 

Does anybody remember when he was hired?? Am I the only one who remembers people throwing fits on here. Most were not happy at all, specially from his Clemson stent. Will laid the foundation is 15, Steele came in & finished the foundation in 16...now look at our D. 

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

i understand this but do we match a huge raise he might get from another school?

KS isn't getting a huge raise elsewhere, he's pulling +$2MM here and there are only two other DC's making more, Dave Aranda and Brent Venables.  Steele is good, but I don't see any other program giving him a huge raise above what AU's paying him.

12 minutes ago, shabby said:

Auburn needs to consistently be top 10 competition shabby.  They are making top 5 salaries don't you think it's high time the consistently turn in top 10 results?

5 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Does anybody remember when he was hired?? Am I the only one who remembers people throwing fits on here. Most were not happy at all, specially from his Clemson stent. Will laid the foundation is 15, Steele came in & finished the foundation in 16...now look at our D. 

Getting Muschamp was a god send. Steele might've added some fundamentals and the Xs and Os, but Muschamp was like the anti-Ellis Johnson

26 minutes ago, shabby said:

Yes, especially with the talent we've brought in and they way we've lost them

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Yes, especially with the talent we've brought in and they way we've lost them

And who brought in that talent? Who brought in coach Steele? 3rd winning-est coach in Auburn History.  so terrible. Maybe we can Fire Gus and become the next Arkansas

28 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

This ...now someone in the thread wants him to be interim head coach 

29 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

I remember those people. Lacking such foresight. Not giving him a chance, thinking it would be Gus' undoing! What a freaking joke

I was those people. 

25 minutes ago, keesler said:

Auburn needs to consistently be top 10 competition shabby.  They are making top 5 salaries don't you think it's high time the consistently turn in top 10 results?

I think it's highly unrealistic yes. i think winning top 10 match ups 33% of the time pretty impressive. And I think that its ridiculous that a fan base is screaming fire gus on every thread when we are sitting at 7-2 with two top ten match ups lurking that should be very competitive games. You don't see the fan reaction as ridiculous?

6 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I remember those people. Lacking such foresight. Not giving him a chance, thinking it would be Gus' undoing! What a freaking joke

I was those people. 

Auburn is his first DC stint where he was regarded as a really good DC!!! He was demoted from DC to LB coach in 09 in favor of Kirby Smart at Bama. He had a very underwhelming stay at Clemson for a few years as DC. Had 1 year at LSU before he came here where they were a good defense but Aranda came in the very next year and made them a lot better. NO ONE has expected what he has done with our defense!!! He went from a underwhelming hire to one of the BEST DC's in the country!!! It is crazy how the perception of Steele has done a complete 180. I was MEH on this hire to. JUST SOOOOO SOOOOOOOO unbelievably glad it was not Charles Kelly. THANK GOD!!! That dude is a AWFUL DC!! I do not think he is even a DC anymore. He is a position coach somewhere. *EDIT* Just checked he is the safeties coach and "Assistant" DC at Bama. No wonder their defense has taken a step back this season! lol.

• WarTiger changed the title to Coach Steele
24 minutes ago, shabby said:

I think it's highly unrealistic yes. i think winning top 10 match ups 33% of the time pretty impressive. And I think that its ridiculous that a fan base is screaming fire gus on every thread when we are sitting at 7-2 with two top ten match ups lurking that should be very competitive games. You don't see the fan reaction as ridiculous?

We won't see eye to eye on this shabby.  Because after playing away from home for a month and returning to JHS to play an SEC opponent, I watched the fans file out of JHS and I watched them boo the Head Coach loudly.  That was against a pitiful 3-5 (now 3-6) Ole Miss that went down to the wire.

I don't think a 2-5 vs LSU/2-5 vs UGA/2-4 vs UAT/4-3 vs MSU is impressive, I don't think it's impressive to be stuck in a pattern of 4-5 losses a year, I don't think playing in a bowl game in Legion Field or having a 2-4 bowl record is impressive.

I don't think the roster management, player development, play calling, game planning, player preparation, play selection, lack of creativity, failure to make in-game adjustments at critical times in a game are impressive.

Sorry, I fully understand the fan reaction when an accumulation of all of those things are considered.

I'm fired up now - where's the bourbon?:coffee:

42 minutes ago, keesler said:

Exactly. In another thread it was posted how Auburn has been ranked in the Top 10 at some point every year since Gus has been here. Several of those times has been in November. A Top 10 team shouldn't be losing 66% of their games against like competition in my opinion. It should be closer to a split. Our biggest rivals don't fear playing Auburn anymore. That's what irritates me. 

46 minutes ago, shabby said:

And who brought in that talent? Who brought in coach Steele? 3rd winning-est coach in Auburn History.  so terrible. Maybe we can Fire Gus and become the next Arkansas

You think Gus got Steele? 

3rd winningest coach?

Of all 6 coaches that had an opportunity to have more or equal win totals, Gus is 5th out of 6 in victories and win pct. 

Donahue: 106-35  0.743

Meagher: 48-37  0.558

Jordan: 176-83 0.675

Dye: 99-39  0.711

Tuberville: 85-40  0.680

Malzahn: 60-29  0.674

Maybe we can keep Gus and become the next South Carolina

19 minutes ago, gr82be said:

A Top 10 team shouldn't be losing 66% of their games against like competition in my opinion. It should be closer to a split

100% correct

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Tuberville: 85-40  0.680

Malzahn: 60-29  0.674

So basically the same record as tuberville against much tougher competition. Hmmm, i forgot how terrible Tuberville was. Playing against stiff competition such as frequently unranked Alabama.  And i referenced 3rd in regards to Top Ten match ups.

2 minutes ago, shabby said:

So basically the same record as tuberville against much tougher competition. Hmmm, i forgot how terrible Tuberville was. Playing against stiff competition such as frequently unranked Alabama.  And i referenced 3rd in regards to Top Ten match ups.

Tuberville was a very mediocre coach. People remember '04 and frequently forget the other seasons

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Tuberville was a very mediocre coach. People remember '04 and frequently forget the other seasons

So much truth here.  Tubs lost more games as a ranked team to unranked opponents than I care to remember.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

@shabby 7 out of 10 years he had 4 or more losses. Facepalm all you want but that is mediocre and,as you said, against weaker competition.

So basically you have been unhappy with Auburn coaches for the last 25 years. Sounds like football is a pretty miserable experience for you. 

Archived