Coach Steele

aubiefifty

i have seen a few rival fans on other boards wanting their schools to snatch coach Steele to their respective schools. one was bama. i know i am worrying out loud.but what are we doing to keep Coach Steele? Does he go find another job before and if gus is let go? Does he get tired of the uncertainty surrounding our program? for the record this is not any kind of attack to either lovers or haters of gus. i know once i think coach Steele said he would love to retire at auburn? where do we stand and what are we doing to make sure coach stays with us? thanx ahead for any insight.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Tiger said:

TBH Gus doesn't deserve Kevin Steele

But Auburn does. And that's all that matters.

KS is a bright spot in the program. I hope we keep him and his def. staff. Gus, not so much. I hope I'm wrong, but this weekend may be a spiral even further downward, offensively. I just don't see much change coming on offense. The same person is calling the plays.  It would be nice, on third and short, to see a high percentage play for a first down, instead of a forty yard bomb attempt. Usually the attempt is from a scrambling qb, running for his life. Nutsburg. 

39 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i have seen a few rival fans on other boards wanting their schools to snatch coach Steele to their respective schools. one was bama. i know i am worrying out loud.but what are we doing to keep Coach Steele? Does he go find another job before and if gus is let go? Does he get tired of the uncertainty surrounding our program? for the record this is not any kind of attack to either lovers or haters of gus. i know once i think coach Steele said he would love to retire at auburn? where do we stand and what are we doing to make sure coach stays with us? thanx ahead for any insight.

He's paid a plenty and he has earned it, and no one meddles with him. 

He could draw the same salary at a place like bama (he's already been there twice) but he won't be allowed to recruit his own players and run his own defensive schemes or call his own plays over there.  LSU doesn't need him, UGA doesn't need him, UF doesn't need him and all the other SEC programs are lower level than AU, so I think he stays as long as his Boss stays.  

41 minutes ago, Tiger said:

TBH Gus doesn't deserve Kevin Steele

Without KS Gus would have been booted already. Unfortunately when we get a new coach Steele will likely be gone.

He is from Alabama (Centreville/Brent area I think) and has said on several occasions he hopes to retire at Auburn.  Even if Auburn eventually parts ways with Gus for whatever reason I can’t imagine any HC that is hired (if he has any sense) would not want to keep the Steele and the defensive staff intact.  

I'm certain that KS is not at all worried about the future of CGM's tenure. He is a prized asset in our athletic department. He knows his value at Auburn, and he knows that it's not contingent on who the coach is. 

3 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I'm certain that KS is not at all worried about the future of CGM's tenure. He is a prized asset in our athletic department. He knows his value at Auburn, and he knows that it's not contingent on who the coach is. 

The Auburn Administration surely values KS and could reassign him to an off the field role, but a brand new HC will most likely want his own staff working under him.  He'll want men he can trust.

From his bio on the official AU website:

Steele and his wife, Linda, have a son, Gordon, and a daughter, Caroline (an Auburn graduate); and a granddaughter, Sawyer Kate. Gordon is on the football coaching staff at Alabama. Steele’s brother Jeff serves as associate athletics director for facilities and operations at Auburn.

Totally guessing here but I imagine that if Gus were to get canned Steele would try to get a position in the AD at AU with his brother or potentially even take a much lower position at Bama to be with his son if not retained as DC by the new HC. His main goal is to receive pension in the state IIRC it's been mentioned here several times. He looks like he has a bit left in the tank from a coaching standpoint IMO he's having the best years of his career right now I'm sure he wants to ride the coaching wave until he can't anymore.

As of 2018, CKS was the 3rd highest paid Assistant Coach in the NCAA at $2,050,000 per year.  Numbers 1 and 2 respectively were Dave Aranda (LSU at $2.5M) and Brent Venable’s (Clemson at $2.2M).  That’s strong statement of both Coach Malzahn’s and the Auburn Athletic Department’s respect for his performance and value to the program.

11 minutes ago, afblue said:

As of 2018, CKS was the 3rd highest paid Assistant Coach in the NCAA at $2,050,000 per year.  Numbers 1 and 2 respectively were Dave Aranda (LSU at $2.5M) and Brent Venable’s (Clemson at $2.2M).  That’s strong statement of both Coach Malzahn’s and the Auburn Athletic Department’s respect for his performance and value to the program.

Dave Aranda is just $1MM shy of what Ed's making at LSU.  If they win it all this year, LSU will double his salary immediately.

1 hour ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Post of the day. Just beautiful. #knowyourworth

I was about to say something similar. 

i understand this but do we match a huge raise he might get from another school?

well according to some of ya'lls statements how many of you honestly thought gus would get the contract he did that would appear to keep us from moving on like so many would want? there is logical and then there is auburn. i am not arguing with you guys as much as i do not have a lot of faith in our decision makers.......

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

Without KS Gus would have been booted already. Unfortunately when we get a new coach Steele will likely be gone.

Without Gus, Steele wouldn't have a job here. I fully remember how critical everyone was here when Gus made this hire. 

4 minutes ago, shabby said:

Without Gus, Steele wouldn't have a job here. I fully remember how critical everyone was here when Gus made this hire. 

One has at least proved their worth. I never doubted the Steele hire personally. The dude has had ups and downs but his coaching experience is legitimate. Yeah he was an atrocious head coach at Baylor but he's been an awesome defensive coach.

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

One has at least proved their worth. I never doubted the Steele hire personally. The dude has had ups and downs but his coaching experience is legitimate. Yeah he was an atrocious head coach at Baylor but he's been an awesome defensive coach.

And the other ranks third in Auburn coaches for wins over ranked opponents. All this trash talk about how terrible Malzahn is not evidenced by his record. Just a bunch of whiny fans being whiny fans

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

the knock against steele was when he was at clemson and his d had 72 points hung on it i believe. i admit it looks bad but i blame the kids for laying down on him.

Just now, aubiefifty said:

the knock against steele was when he was at clemson and his d had 72 points hung on it i believe. i admit it looks bad but i blame the kids for laying down on him.

Yeah, I still have to ask Steele wtf happened in the Moo State game last year and the Tennessee game. Both of those teams ran maybe three plays on us and we just never looked right. Don't think the team wanted those games bad enough; only thing that makes sense to me. 

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

The knock was everybody said his defensive line was week and we would have no run defense

54 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i understand this but do we match a huge raise he might get from another school?

Without a doubt. Heck, we gave Gus $7m. Money isn't an issue at the school that's considering buying out a coach at $35m. 

Archived