It’s time to turn it loose

aubiefifty

247sports.com

Jason Caldwell's Monday morning quarterback column

ByJason Caldwell

4-5 minutes

After watching Georgia the last two weeks I’m even more convinced that Auburn needs to open it up offensively and play like the Tigers did in the first half of the Ole Miss game with Bo Nix throwing the football on first down to set up the run. This Georgia defense can run and will attack from all over the field. Auburn can’t play the run/play-action game against the Bulldogs and be really successful on Saturday, I believe.

Keeping the Bulldogs on their toes and mixing it up is going to be important on Saturday for Auburn’s offense, but you’ve got to do that by keeping personnel on the field and not substituting. We saw last year in Athens that Kirby Smart will hold his defensive players on the sidelines to slow the offensive pace, putting Auburn’s against the play clock. It’s what Florida did earlier this year and really put extra pressure on Nix and the Tigers.

Play fast, get to the line of scrimmage and run the play. After that you just let the chips fall where they may and see what happens.

This Auburn defense has been as good as any we’ve seen in a long time on the Plains, but on Saturday the Tigers get another chance for some redemption with Georgia coming to town. Last season the Bulldogs ran for 303 yards to break open a close game and pound the Tigers into submission. Much like the Mississippi State game from earlier this season, I have to imagine this is one that Derrick Brown, Marlon Davidson and company have been thinking about for a long, long time.

The biggest issue moving forward with this year’s college football playoff rankings is who is going to be four, five, six and beyond? The top three this week is easy. LSU deserves to be the No. 1 team in the land and there is little doubt about that in my mind. I still think Ohio State is very good and could beat anyone, but LSU is deserving of the top spot. Clemson quietly continues to improve and will be a tough out for someone after those Tigers finish off what’s left of their schedule. After all the talk and discussion we are right where we thought we would be this season with Clemson as the most sure thing in the playoff discussion.

On 11/12/2019 at 10:06 AM, aubiefifty said:

247sports.com

Jason Caldwell's Monday morning quarterback column

ByJason Caldwell

4-5 minutes

After watching Georgia the last two weeks I’m even more convinced that Auburn needs to open it up offensively and play like the Tigers did in the first half of the Ole Miss game with Bo Nix throwing the football on first down to set up the run. This Georgia defense can run and will attack from all over the field. Auburn can’t play the run/play-action game against the Bulldogs and be really successful on Saturday, I believe.

Keeping the Bulldogs on their toes and mixing it up is going to be important on Saturday for Auburn’s offense, but you’ve got to do that by keeping personnel on the field and not substituting. We saw last year in Athens that Kirby Smart will hold his defensive players on the sidelines to slow the offensive pace, putting Auburn’s against the play clock. It’s what Florida did earlier this year and really put extra pressure on Nix and the Tigers.

Play fast, get to the line of scrimmage and run the play. After that you just let the chips fall where they may and see what happens.

This Auburn defense has been as good as any we’ve seen in a long time on the Plains, but on Saturday the Tigers get another chance for some redemption with Georgia coming to town. Last season the Bulldogs ran for 303 yards to break open a close game and pound the Tigers into submission. Much like the Mississippi State game from earlier this season, I have to imagine this is one that Derrick Brown, Marlon Davidson and company have been thinking about for a long, long time.

The biggest issue moving forward with this year’s college football playoff rankings is who is going to be four, five, six and beyond? The top three this week is easy. LSU deserves to be the No. 1 team in the land and there is little doubt about that in my mind. I still think Ohio State is very good and could beat anyone, but LSU is deserving of the top spot. Clemson quietly continues to improve and will be a tough out for someone after those Tigers finish off what’s left of their schedule. After all the talk and discussion we are right where we thought we would be this season with Clemson as the most sure thing in the playoff discussion.

I agree fully. I do believe that CGM is his own worst enemy. If he would approach this game like he did the Bowl Game last year, we could make something good happen. Of course, it could backfire; however, trying to beat UGA with the standard Gus "run-first-to-setup-the-pass," will not be a very positive thing. I hope that he surprises UGA and all of AU fans by going all out for the win tomorrow. Just wishing!!

Archived