players expect fans to ‘bring some juice’

aubiefifty

Auburn players expect fans to ‘bring some juice’ to Jordan-Hare Stadium for Georgia game

Posted Nov 11, 8:58 AM

5-6 minutes

Auburn Football

Getty Images

Jeremiah Dinson didn’t look up and notice the expanse of empty bleachers in the southeast corner of Jordan-Hare Stadium in the second half of Auburn’s last game, but the senior safety could sense something was off.

The typically raucous home environment that Auburn has fed off in recent years was subdued the night of Nov. 2. Much of the student section was gone at that point, and the buzz in the stadium was nothing more than a faint hum — even with the Tigers clinging to a 13-point lead early in the fourth quarter and a six-point advantage midway through it.

As Ole Miss attempted to drive for the winning score in the closing seconds — only to be thwarted by Christian Tutt’s game-sealing interception — the Rebels did so while heading right into Auburn’s student section. It’s a typically daunting task that had its difficulty decreased considerably by the lack of fans in those stands at that juncture.

One of the tougher atmospheres in college football — in a closely contested in-conference night game after the team spent the previous 35 days on the road, no less — was reduced to the feeling of a lopsided mid-September buy-game. And players took notice.

“It’s just the energy, man,” Dinson said Sunday. “It’s not really a big deal, man. It’s just—a month away, the whole month we were on the road, and we were coming back. I just wanted the energy to be high in Jordan-Hare. I know how it can be.”

Dinson was one of several Auburn players to voice their opinion and displeasure — a form of tough love, really — with the fans following Auburn’s 20-14 win against Ole Miss prior to the bye week. Dinson expressed his disappointment with the energy in the stadium, while running back Shaun Shivers quote-tweeted a photo of the emptied-out student section and noted it was “crazy” before offering up this question: “What happened to bring a ‘Family?’” Defensive tackle Coynis Miller, always opinionated and quick-witted on Twitter, found that same photo and quipped, “I hope it freeze for these last 3 games.”

Linebacker K.J. Britt, in since-deleted tweets, implored the Auburn fans to “be better than this” and questioned their motives (“Starting to wonder what Auburn fans are cheering for now”) before making clear that the team needs them on their side.

Especially this weekend, when No. 13 Auburn welcomes No. 5 Georgia to Jordan-Hare Stadium for a 2:30 p.m. kickoff in the 134th installment of the Deep South’s Oldest Rivalry.

“It’s just Auburn family,” Dinson said. “You know, I’m just calling the family out a little bit. Bring some juice, bring some energy. And I know they’ll bring it this week.”

Regardless of the fanbase’s frustrations — whether it be with the two close losses on the road to Florida and LSU that many believed were winnable games, an inconsistent offense or just dissatisfaction with Gus Malzahn despite a 7-2 record and quality ranking — players expect the atmosphere at Jordan-Hare Stadium on Saturday to return to form. That atmosphere is one of the many reasons why Auburn has accumulated a 39-9 home record under Malzahn, including four wins against rivals Georgia and Alabama in six attempts at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Auburn will try to wrangle together two more victories on Amen Corner in the coming weeks, again against a pair of top-five opponents, as the Tigers try to accomplish another “November to remember” and seek a third New Year’s Six bowl berth in four seasons. The first step toward that will come Saturday against a Georgia team that Malzahn called “maybe the most talented” in college football, featuring a stout defense that is allowing 10.1 points per game and hasn’t surrendered a rushing score this season, but a gifted-yet-inconsistent offense.

Auburn’s defense, which has been the only unit to make LSU’s high-powered attack look mortal this season, will attempt to stifle Georgia’s offense — and the Tigers know an amped-up crowd at Jordan-Hare Stadium can make life more difficult on the Bulldogs.

In fact, they’re counting on it.

“We still got the best fans in college football, and everybody knows — you know, everybody knows that our fans are going to be there against Georgia,” Britt said. “Ain’t even no question. So, I mean, we’re ready to play; I know our fans are ready to cheer us on. We’re ready to get this win.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• WarTiger changed the title to players expect fans to ‘bring some juice’

The uga 2017 game was my most favorite game...the energy was INSANE. I’m ready to give my all and lose my voice on Saturday. Let’s go! 

No doubt the fans will be in full force for the game.  The atmosphere will be electric, especially on D, but I guarantee if the O starts stringing a bunch of  3 and outs together and leaving the D on the field to try do damage control, the fans will also let Gus know!!

tenor (2).gif

20 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

No doubt the fans will be in full force for the game.  The atmosphere will be electric, especially on D, but I guarantee if the O starts stringing a bunch of  3 and outs together and leaving the D on the field to try do damage control, the fans will also let Gus know!!

Georgia has one of the best defenses in the country so there will likely be some 3 and outs by us in what should be a defensive struggle. As fans we just need to understand and expect that. 

I’m driving up from Florida and will be yelling, stamping, and doing whatever I can to make life difficult for Georgia’s offense.

War Damn.

Archived