What Gus said during the bye week

aubiefifty

What Gus Malzahn said during the bye week

Updated Nov 06, 2019;Posted Nov 06, 2019

3-4 minutes

Before heading into its second bye week, Auburn beat Ole Miss 20-14. Now, it is taking the week to heal and prepare for the upcoming game against Georgia.

Coach Gus Malzahn spoke on the weekly SEC teleconference Wednesday afternoon and announced that defensive leaders Marlon Davidson and Jeremiah Dinson returned to practice.

Wednesday evening, he appeared before the media to provide more updates about the team’s progress through the bye week. Below is a summary of what he said:

GUS MALZAHN:

-- Wishes Coach Dye happy 80th birthday.

-- Helmet stickers go to Bo Nix on offense, Owen Pappoe on defense and Jacob Quattlebaum on special teams.

-- Two good days of practice. It’s been the same formula as the last off week, but it’s been filled with positive energy. Healing up has been a top priority.

-- Harold Joiner did some Wildcat stuff last year, but that was “his first rodeo in primetime.” He responded well after fumbling the ball with the 78-yard catch.

-- Marlon Davidson is doing better, as is Jeremiah Dinson. Hoping to have them both back.

-- Boobee Whitlow is practicing and healing. Hope to have him by Georgia.

-- D.J. Williams will “get nothing but better.” He breaks tackles well, and he likes what he’s seen out of him.

-- Nix played at a better pace. It was one of his best games, if not his best. Considering several of his incompletions were drops, it would be even better. Got to get the handoff fumble cleaned up, though.

-- There’s “no doubt” coming back after a tough outing with that type of performance was good for Nix’s confidence. After LSU, he was determined to get back out on the field.

-- Nick Brahms is snapping the ball well.

-- “At this day and time, you usually only play one quarterback... there are quarterbacks that leave, and you’ve got to be prepared for that," he said about Joey Gatewood leaving the team.

-- They’re treating the bye similar to how they did with the one before Arkansas. They’re splitting self-scouting and scouting ahead.

-- “When (Derrick Brown) made that play in open space... that was a pretty good play. So not much surprises me. But that running back was surprised.”

-- Plans to spend his bye recruiting and catching his breath. It will also give him a chance to look at the big picture.

-- Looking at the big picture, he sees improvement in Nix and the offense. They’re moving better and making short throws that help with pace.

-- Brahms is farther ahead than he was last year, but the big thing is the “clean operation” when he was snapping the football. He was very solid at that.

-- The big thing is making sure that people that need to redshirt redshirt. “We’ll see how it goes... We’re pretty much locked in for the most part.” Hopefully, everyone is healthy when they get back from the bye so they don’t have to burn any redshirts.

-- They plan to redshirt running back Mark-Antony Richards. They were excited about him when they recruited him, but it’s been disappointing for everyone that he’s had to deal with injuries. Not sure whether he will play in the bowl game.

morning 007...........

16 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

They’re moving better and making short throws that help with pace.

@cole256, whodathunkit.

8 games in and it's just showing up? Brilliant!

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

@cole256, whodathunkit.

I don't know what made me laugh most, Gusand that or him giving Bo helmet sticker right after the QB stuff the team dealt with! 

When Gus said he is gonna take time to look at the big picture, I instantly wondered what that meant to Gus.  Then he followed with that Bo has improved within the offense.  It just pains me that his big picture is to get better within his offense and not that he needs to look at his offense and make it better schematically, etc..

37 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Nick Brahms is snapping the ball well.

37 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Brahms is farther ahead than he was last year, but the big thing is the “clean operation” when he was snapping the football. He was very solid at that.

Glad it only took 8 games to get that center thing cleared up.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

@cole256, whodathunkit.

He reads this forum to learn how to tweak his offense. Lol just kidding. He could get some good info here. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

@cole256, whodathunkit.

Bird, we're actually ahead of schedule for next year considering we are 4 pregame 2019 games away from 2020. How can you not be optimistic!? /s

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

Glad it only took 8 games to get that center thing cleared up.

That's an heck of an update isn't it? Our starting center is snapping the ball... I guess Pearl may update our point guard can dribble later today!

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Boobee Whitlow is practicing and healing. Hope to have him by Georgia.

Then why did he play during the LSU game coach?

There’s “no doubt” coming back after a tough outing with that type of performance was good for Nix’s confidence. After LSU, he was determined to get back out on the field

I wonder how his confidence was affected by not having to look over his shoulder to see if there was a *package* coming in?

“At this day and time, you usually only play one quarterback... there are quarterbacks that leave, and you’ve got to be prepared for that," he said about Joey Gatewood leaving the team

Again, see what Gus does, not what he says.  This goes to recruiting and I’m sure we are negatively recruited on this point.  I’ve often wondered why UGA ended up with so many 5* QBs when our cupboard was bare.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

@cole256, whodathunkit.

Obviously, dealing with two QBs was slowing Gus’ thought process down. 

"Great week of practice"

"No doubt" 

In all seriousness, Gus is a creature of habit. He will keep us around 8-9 wins. There is a silver lining to his habitual coaching though, he's never lost off of a bye week. Let's keep that streak going. 

2 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Then he followed with that Bo has improved within the offense.  It just pains me that his big picture is to get better within his offense and not that he needs to look at his offense and make it better schematically, etc..

This is pretty much the whole story. Gus doesn't need to change, the players just need to do the same thing better. 

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Two good days of practice.

This should be considered a curse word in Auburn football

8 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Helmet stickers go to Bo Nix on offense, Owen Pappoe on defense and Jacob Quattlebaum on special teams.

....shoulda picked him for my AU Mancrush.   Who is he?

6 hours ago, cole256 said:

That's an heck of an update isn't it? Our starting center is snapping the ball... I guess Pearl may update our point guard can dribble later today!

FailingMeekArmyant-size_restricted.gif

9 minutes ago, lutzcammed said:

my question is, hypothetically  speaking, will Toomers corner get rolled if Gus gets fired?

I would sincerely hope not

Yeah. Let's not conflate pro-Auburn and anti-Gus. That man and his family deserve to be treated with respect, dignity and- given where we are compared to where we were when he came back- gratitude. 

And the men who play football for Auburn deserve a chance to win championships. 

Archived