which freshmen redshirt this season

aubiefifty

Auburn ‘pretty much locked in’ with which freshmen will redshirt this season

Today 7:00 AM

5-6 minutes

Auburn Football

Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Auburn freshman Colby Wooden has appeared in two games this season. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

The NCAA’s relatively new redshirt rule has brought a new level of strategy to how coaching staffs utilize freshmen during a season.

Gone are the days of having to sit a player for an entire season just to save a year of eligibility. Instead, coaches have to carefully pick and choose how and when to play some of those players who may not necessarily make an immediate impact but still stand to benefit from some opportunities to see the field during their first year on campus.

That’s one of the decisions Gus Malzahn will be faced with coming off the bye week, with Auburn having three regular-season games remaining on its schedule plus a bowl game awaiting it in the postseason. That means that even players who have yet to see the field this season could potentially be available for the remainder of the Tigers’ games this year, even if it doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll be utilized in each of those contests. Auburn will, of course, want to avoid another situation like the one last season with running back Asa Martin, whose redshirt opportunity was mismanaged before he ultimately transferred.

“You know, I think the big thing for us is just making sure that we are making sure that people that need to redshirt, redshirt,” Malzahn said. “We’ll see how it goes. We got guys that have been practicing with the twos and threes, as far as special teams, offense and defense — but we’re pretty much locked in, for the most part.”

Through Auburn’s first nine games this season, six of its true freshmen have already exceeded the four-game limit to be eligible to redshirt. There’s quarterback Bo Nix and linebacker Owen Pappoe, of course, who have both started every game this season. Running back D.J. Williams has seen time in six games while emerging as a key player in the backfield the last month, while defensive end Derick Hall has played in seven games, including his first career start last weekend against Ole Miss.

Defensive lineman Jaren Handy and defensive back Nehemiah Pritchett have each appeared in four games — right at the redshirt limit — but both may still play in some of the final four games, especially Handy, who has emerged as a rotational piece along the defensive line in recent weeks.

Five other freshmen have appeared in at least one game this season, giving Auburn some flexibility with their availability down the stretch. Defensive backs Jaylin Simpson and Zion Puckett have each played in three games, though each was during lopsided wins against Kent State, Mississippi State and Arkansas. They can each play in one more game this season, most likely against Samford — given the pattern of their usage — and still be eligible to redshirt.

Defensive end Colby Wooden and tight end Luke Deal have each appeared in two games, with both coming — again — in lopsided wins, while linebacker O.C. Brothers has seen the field just once this season, against Kent State. Wooden and Deal can each play in up to two more games without burning a redshirt, while Brothers could be available in three of the final four outings.

Eight true freshmen, meanwhile, have yet to see the field this season: offensive lineman Keiondre Jones, receives Jashawn Sheffield and Ja’Varrius Johnson, tight end Tyler Fromm, offensive linemen Justin Osborne and Kamaar Bell, linebacker Kameron Brown and running back Mark-Antony Richards.

All eight could, hypothetically, make appearances in every remaining game this season without wasting a year of eligibility — but that most certainly won’t be the case. For the three offensive linemen, at least, it could make sense for them to make their debuts at some point against Samford, an FCS opponent that should be overmatched and blown out the week between the Georgia and Alabama games, as that would be an ideal situation for them to get their feet wet heading into 2020.

The most intriguing member of that eight-man group, however, is Richards, a top-100 prospect who injured his leg during fall camp and required surgery that has sidelined him all season. Richards is still rehabbing but is progressing well, and while Malzahn confirmed that Auburn’s plan is to redshirt him, he wouldn’t rule out the 6-foot-1, 195-pounder potentially seeing the field in some capacity when medically cleared — even if it’s just in Auburn’s bowl game.

“We think, when we recruited him, we think he's got a chance to be a real special player,” Malzahn said. “So, it's unfortunate he's been — he's still rehabbing. It's going good, but we're hoping by the bowl weeks and all that, get him out there and do some things. But we're real excited about him in the future.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

I'm a fan of redshirting if at all possible. Some here don't think it's all that important but sometimes it seems like a wasted year of eligibility for a kid. Honestly, DJ could have been fine redshirting with the group of backs we have.

I thought Johnson would be an early contributor. Think he was battling injuries earlier in the season though. That’s really the only one that’s kind of surprising 

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

I'm a fan of redshirting if at all possible. Some here don't think it's all that important but sometimes it seems like a wasted year of eligibility for a kid. Honestly, DJ could have been fine redshirting with the group of backs we have.

I see DJ as the best back that we have, that includes Whitlow.  He is definitely needed down the stretch and has been needed all year. Our backs as a whole are OK. But I am not sure they would be seeing the playing field if they played UA, UGA, LSU and FL. (Just an opinion. Not trying to start a sh**storm).

1 hour ago, 80Tiger said:

I see DJ as the best back that we have, that includes Whitlow.  He is definitely needed down the stretch and has been needed all year. Our backs as a whole are OK. But I am not sure they would be seeing the playing field if they played UA, UGA, LSU and FL. (Just an opinion. Not trying to start a sh**storm).

I agree he could be the best (still think Worm and MAR haven't been given enough of a sample size one for injury and the other inexplicably). Still, he's used a year of eligibility for what will essentially be a wasted season and chump carries in meaningless games.

7 carries against Moo State - unnecessary use of one of his 4 possible games

11 fluff carries against Arkansas - another set of unnecessary carries

LSU and Ole Miss he was pivotal (other backs could have done just as much against Ole Miss) but I think other backs could have done just as much. So let's say you use him for LSU, Ole Miss, Georgia, and Alabama then still use the redshirt so he maintains eligibility. Frankly, that's ideal to me. Gus hasn't had a good track record of using the 4 games and redshirt strategy (Roc Thomas).

48 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I agree he could be the best (still think Worm and MAR haven't been given enough of a sample size one for injury and the other inexplicably). Still, he's used a year of eligibility for what will essentially be a wasted season and chump carries in meaningless games.

7 carries against Moo State - unnecessary use of one of his 4 possible games

11 fluff carries against Arkansas - another set of unnecessary carries

LSU and Ole Miss he was pivotal (other backs could have done just as much against Ole Miss) but I think other backs could have done just as much. So let's say you use him for LSU, Ole Miss, Georgia, and Alabama then still use the redshirt so he maintains eligibility. Frankly, that's ideal to me. Gus hasn't had a good track record of using the 4 games and redshirt strategy (Roc Thomas).

I agree about Worm.. I think he has the tools to be the best back we have.. he just doesn't have the opportunities. Would love to see an offensive coordinator scheme an offense around him and getting him the ball in space.. he is shifty and quick.. watching his HS film.. the more carries he got, the stronger he got. It is JMO but I do not believe we use him correctly.. he could be of so much more value if we would get the ball to him in space.. 

27 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

I agree about Worm.. I think he has the tools to be the best back we have.. he just doesn't have the opportunities. Would love to see an offensive coordinator scheme an offense around him and getting him the ball in space.. he is shifty and quick.. watching his HS film.. the more carries he got, the stronger he got. It is JMO but I do not believe we use him correctly.. he could be of so much more value if we would get the ball to him in space.. 

Similar to Ben Tate.  A lot of people hated on Ben Tate (or at least didn't appreciate him) but he was another guy that looked better the more and more he toted the rock. Cameron Artis-Payne is the same (a big reason he never really shined at Carolina with minimal carries). The only thing for Worm (and a few of our backs) is he could keep it to the outside more for some bigger yardage. He has a mean streak that makes him inclined to seek out contact. Agreed, him and Kam could be very productive with proper scheming. 

A team cannot redshirt everybody, the 85 roster limit would soon be filled. Normally, if a player is ready to contribute, he plays.

MAR has been injured all year and has never been cleared to play by the medical staff. There's no legal way he could have been put into a game.

DJ played as soon as he was cleared by the medical staff. I don't think there ever was any idea of redshirting DJ, barring injury. DJ was going to be #2 RB since the end of Spring practice. You don't redshirt a guy like that.

12 hours ago, Zeek said:

Gus hasn't had a good track record of using the 4 games and redshirt strategy (Roc Thomas).

There was no four-game strategy when Roc Thomas was here. Play one game and your redshirt was burned. If you're mistaking Thomas for Asa Martin, some say it was mishandled. I've heard from others that there was so much griping in the Martin camp about Asa's lack of playing time they put him in whenever it wouldn't hurt the team just to quiet the complaints. Martin was running 5th string when he left Auburn and 5th string when he left Miami. Hopefully whoever is creating turmoil around the young man will back off and let him just play football at Memphis.

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

A team cannot redshirt everybody, the 85 roster limit would soon be filled. Normally, if a player is ready to contribute, he plays.

MAR has been injured all year and has never been cleared to play by the medical staff. There's no legal way he could have been put into a game.

DJ played as soon as he was cleared by the medical staff. I don't think there ever was any idea of redshirting DJ, barring injury. DJ was going to be #2 RB since the end of Spring practice. You don't redshirt a guy like that.

There was no four-game strategy when Roc Thomas was here. Play one game and your redshirt was burned. If you're mistaking Thomas for Asa Martin, some say it was mishandled. I've heard from others that there was so much griping in the Martin camp about Asa's lack of playing time they put him in whenever it wouldn't hurt the team just to quiet the complaints. Martin was running 5th string when he left Auburn and 5th string when he left Miami. Hopefully whoever is creating turmoil around the young man will back off and let him just play football at Memphis.

Asa Martin is who I mean and they pretty much admitted they botched his redshirt.

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

Asa Martin is who I mean and they pretty much admitted they botched his redshirt.

What else were they going to say for public consumption? Think abut it.

The prospect of DJ Williams & MA Richards rotating in the 2020 backfield is very exciting IMO. Richards getting some snaps even just against Samford and bowl opponent would be huge.

34 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

The prospect of DJ Williams & MA Richards rotating in the 2020 backfield is very exciting IMO. Richards getting some snaps even just against Samford and bowl opponent would be huge.

Don’t forget tank

12 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Have you seen something official that indicates that MAR will be medically cleared to play this season? I suppose he may have been declared fit to play and I just missed it.

15 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Have you seen something official that indicates that MAR will be medically cleared to play this season? I suppose he may have been declared fit to play and I just missed it.

What Malzahn said during his press conference this week

Archived