Make this the November to remember

aubiefifty

Auburn's bye week mission: 'Make this the November to remember'

ByBrandon Marcello

4 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama — Auburn needs time to breathe.

The No. 12 Tigers (7-2, 4-2 SEC) also need time to improve if they want to knock off rivals Georgia and Alabama in the final three weeks of the season.

Auburn held on for a 20-14 victory Saturday night against Ole Miss in the first of four straight home games to end the season. The Tigers celebrated the win, and leaders used the lackluster score against a losing team as motivation heading into a much-needed bye week.

"We're a hungry team," defensive tackle Derrick Brown said Saturday. "I think tonight just gave us that kick in the butt that we need to go ahead and get back and focused."

Auburn enters the second bye week of the season with plenty of hope, but also the need to heal. Running back JaTarvious Whitlow sat out the victory against Ole Miss as he recovers from knee surgery. Defensive end Marlon Davidson (lower back) and safety Jeremiah Dinson (virus) also remained on the sidelines. All three are expected to return when the Tigers host No. 6 Georgia on Nov. 16.

"We’re a little banged up. We need to heal up," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said. "The off week couldn’t come at a better time."

Auburn fans certainly hope history repeats itself, too. Malzahn is 11-0 after bye weeks as a head coach, including a 9-0 mark while at Auburn. A victory against Georgia would certainly provide the Tigers a much-needed boost after emotionally-draining losses at nationally-ranked Florida and LSU in October.

"Make this the November to remember," left tackle Prince Tega Wanogho Jr. said. "That's what we're actually talking about."

The Tigers are not mathematically eliminated from the SEC race, but they're all but out of the competition after losing to LSU. They can improve their bowl stock and potentially reach a New Year's Six bowl game for the third time in Malzahn's tenure with a victory against Georgia or Alabama — or both — at home.

Still, there's plenty to fix during the open date before discussing hypotheticals.

*** Subscribe: Receive the latest Auburn intel and scoops, and get CBS All Access for FREE ***

*** Get FREE Auburn breaking news in your inbox ***

Auburn’s offense is mostly in the middle of the road, ranking no lower than 91st nationally in major categories. The rushing offense ranks 21st and the passing offense improved to 91st after a 340-yard performance Saturday against Ole Miss. Still, the Tigers are not finishing drives. They managed only two touchdowns while special teams missed three field goals last week against Ole Miss.

The Auburn defense continues to be stellar, ranking 13th in scoring defense (17.4 points per game) while leaning on its defensive line, which has helped Auburn to tie for 19th in rush defense (112.7 yards) and 20th in third-down defense (31.2% opponent success rate).

9COMMENTS

The onus appears is on freshman quarterback Bo Nix, who completes an impressive 65.3 percent of his passes at home and only 48.5 percent away from Jordan-Hare Stadium. His career-best 340 yards against Ole Miss could provide a boost heading into the open week.

"I feel really comfortable in the way I’m seeing the game right now, and I think that as we move forward we’ll continue to hopefully start hitting some passes on third down when we get in that awkward spot on the field, like the 35- or 25-(yard line). But we’ll have a good plan going forward and I feel confident."

">247Sports

• WarTiger changed the title to Make this the November to remember

Even if we win out....That's great and I will never complain about beating UGA or Bama in any capacity, but it will almost be for naught. I mean, There is almost zero chance we make the playoff even winning out. It would take a lot of miracles to happen along with us curb stomping our main 2 rivals. We needed 2-3 things to happen in 13 for it to happen. We need 4-5 things to happen ( I am not going through them because it if far out and I am lazy). This year regardless of finish at this point will be thought of as a waste in my opinion. We wasted the nation's best Defense and the best Auburn Defense maybe ever considering the potency of modern day offenses.....I get the " this is what we expected" rhetoric as far as having a True Freshman QB, and that we were all expecting to lose 2 to 5 games dependent on who you ask. I just don't think anybody expected to lose the 2 we have lost thus far in the manner we lost them. I also will be the first to say, I thought we would have a good Defense, I didn't expect our Defense to be at the level it is. From front to back they have played lights out. That pisses me off to think that with just a competent offense, not great, not even good...just half way competent Offense, one that isn't putrid in big games, we would be ranked #1 in the country and undefeated right now. It is damn right sickening to me. 

man i get so busy posting and trying to edit the crap out sometimes i forget to read some of the news articls. i had no idea jt just had surgery. and i have yet to see any story on it or even in any other threads on other sites.......

I hope we can do it but I just don't see how. Gus has ridden waves of pure momentum in his past successful Novembers. This team's momentum is currently at a season-low. Getting Boobie back will help. But if the playcalling doesn't improve (which, why would it? Gus doesn't adjust) then we aren't going to beat UGA or Bama. 

I just dont see what motivates guys to get up for this November. I know there wasnt much positive sentiment in 2017, but theres NONE this year. And I think many of the fans are already operating under the assumption nothing can be gained, other than pride, win or lose. That's going to play a part in those home crowds IMO. if Auburn gets punched in the mouth to the tune of an early 10 point deficit, I can see either, maybe both, of the crowd and team conceding. 

BTW I really dont see how they have a chance of making the offs unless they annihilated UGA and UA, with UA having to win against LSU and for the rest of the season. And even with that, it'd take at least 3 guys ahead of us that isn't UGA and UA losing. Clemson, OSU/PSU, and whoever wins the SEC should be ahead of us guaranteed I'd think. Oregon/Utah should be too, but who knows what happens there.

If we dominate Alabama and Georgia then I see us getting considered for the playoff assuming okie loses again. Anything less than that will go unnoticed by the committee. It's possible if Malzahn pulls his head out of his a** and calls plays to the strength of his players of which (I think) I saw against Ole Miss. I wish with all my heart that this defense just doesn't go to waste or I will hold it against Malzahn until he leaves and more likely well after. Im pissed how Gatewood was handled this season and some of the other boneheaded stuff I've seen from Malzahn again this year but Im going to try to let it go for the month of November. 

The playoff has changed the way we perceive regular seasons and I'm beginning to think that it is not for the better...

Now that the barrier to entry into the NCG has been lowered it has devalued the season and conference championships. Hear me out. When the NCG was played as 1 vs 2, the path there was much more narrow, yes, but it also meant that auxiliary goals had much more value. Take conference championships. What used to be an achievement worth celebrating is now just the gateway to the playoff. A 10-2  season where you beat your rival now has less significance because you didn't make it to the championship game. It's no worse a fate than 8-4... This is also why I'm beginning to believe playoff expansion would be even more detrimental to the college game.

I for one will be satisfied with victories over Georgia and Bama, because to me denying those two entry into the playoff would be just as sweet as our own entry, and that's what college football and rivalry is all about.

10 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

The playoff has changed the way we perceive regular seasons and I'm beginning to think that it is not for the better...

Now that the barrier to entry into the NCG has been lowered it has devalued the season and conference championships. Hear me out. When the NCG was played as 1 vs 2, the path there was much more narrow, yes, but it also meant that auxiliary goals had much more value. Take conference championships. What used to be an achievement worth celebrating is now just the gateway to the playoff. A 10-2  season where you beat your rival now has less significance because you didn't make it to the championship game. It's no worse a fate than 8-4... This is also why I'm beginning to believe playoff expansion would be even more detrimental to the college game.

I for one will be satisfied with victories over Georgia and Bama, because to me denying those two entry into the playoff would be just as sweet as our own entry, and that's what college football and rivalry is all about.

I agree with you on this. 

The idea of the "National Championship" to me is awesome when it's achieved but I'm a dinosaur, I guess, when it comes to it's rank of importance. 

I grew up with the SEC Championship as the goal.  ....and I still feel that way.  A Natty is just gravy to me.

Unfortunately, for Auburn, even a conference title means they HAVE to go at least 2 of 3 against LSU, bammer & thUga, with no other SEC slip-ups *cough* Florida *cough*.  ...oh, not to mention the best the SECe has to offer.  To ME that's AU success. 

I will say though, beating thUga and/or bammer is it's own reward, regardless of how I feel about the state of the program. 

Say what you will about Gus but going 10-2 would be huge.  It would secure a good bowl, good recruiting class and possibly keep UGA and Bama out of the playoffs as well.  You’d go into the offseason with some momentum and set up Auburn for possibly a good start next year.  

While in certainly over Gus, like beyond over, we are more than capable of beating UGA and Bama if our offense can score 4 touchdowns or 3 touchdowns and a couple field goals. It's very doable, but that's the frustrating part, it's doable but we still can't do it. 

12 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

We beat both Uga and bammer like a drum in 2017 and they both still went to the playoffs. And with the way we ended that season, it felt much like a 6-6 season rather than an 8-4 one. To me at least. 

15 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Say what you will about Gus but going 10-2 would be huge.  It would secure a good bowl, good recruiting class and possibly keep UGA and Bama out of the playoffs as well.  You’d go into the offseason with some momentum and set up Auburn for possibly a good start next year.  

The only way bammer won't make the playoffs this year is if they lose to Auburn AND lsu. The precedent has already been set. A non conference winning 1 loss bammer is a lock to make it. 

6 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

The only way bammer won't make the playoffs this year is if they lose to Auburn AND lsu. The precedent has already been set. A non conference winning 1 loss bammer is a lock to make it. 

When Auburn beats Georgia they are definitely out. That USCe loss will haunt them. Yes, that is dependent on Bama losing to LSU and us but it is a distinct possibility.

26 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

We beat both Uga and bammer like a drum in 2017 and they both still went to the playoffs. And with the way we ended that season, it felt much like a 6-6 season rather than an 8-4 one. To me at least. 

^^^ This ^^^

15 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

^^^ This....again ^^^

16 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

When Auburn beats Georgia they are definitely out. That USCe loss will haunt them. Yes, that is dependent on Bama losing to LSU and us but it is a distinct possibility.

Not if they win out after that and win the SECCG. JMO of course, but I don't see the SEC being left out.

A big what if but let’s say Bama beats LSU but loses to Auburn and Georgia in the SECCG, UGA loses to Auburn but beats Bama.  LSU ends with one loss but doesn’t play for the championship.  Who goes in then?  I’d have to be a 1 loss LSU right?  I don’t think a 2 loss champ gets in over a 1 loss team somewhere else.  Anyways go Auburn.

13 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

A big what if but let’s say Bama beats LSU but loses to Auburn and Georgia in the SECCG, UGA loses to Auburn but beats Bama.  LSU ends with one loss but doesn’t play for the championship.  Who goes in then?  I’d have to be a 1 loss LSU right?  I don’t think a 2 loss champ gets in over a 1 loss team somewhere else.  Anyways go Auburn.

Only bammer guarantees the 1 loss, no Conf Champ, scenario.  They've already done it and apparently are TV ratings gold (frankly I'm surprised bama fatigue hasn't set in).

LSU, on the other hand, would have to fight off the prospect of more TV friendly programs.  No evidence, just my suspicions of the LA & NY centric business of television, but I believe they're tired of SE football (but not the $$$).  They wish the Big10 & PAC12 (or ND) would step it up so they could get that kind of $$$ out of them.

Just my opinion based on knowing that yankees & westies still think of us Southerners as backward hicks.  I live surrounded by them and know this as fact.

9 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Only bammer guarantees the 1 loss, no Conf Champ, scenario.  They've already done it and apparently are TV ratings gold (frankly I'm surprised bama fatigue hasn't set in).

LSU, on the other hand, would have to fight off the prospect of more TV friendly programs.  No evidence, just my suspicions of the LA & NY centric business of television, but I believe they're tired of SE football (but not the $$$).  They wish the Big10 & PAC12 (or ND) would step it up so they could get that kind of $$$ out of them.

Just my opinion based on knowing that yankees & westies still think of us Southerners as backward hicks.  I live surrounded by them and know this as fact.

I think most people outside of their fanbase or the opposing team only tune in hoping they'll lose. There is definitely bama fatigue and I think that's why the UT game was the highest rated game a few weeks ago

6 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

I think most people outside of their fanbase or the opposing team only tune in hoping they'll lose. There is definitely bama fatigue and I think that's why the UT game was the highest rated game a few weeks ago

I would think but why would the UT game be so highly rated if so?  That was a guaranteed W for bammer.

6 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I would think but why would the UT game be so highly rated if so?  That was a guaranteed W by bammer.

Tua went down before halftime and it was a 2 score game for most of the 2nd half. UT had their chances

14 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

Tua went down before halftime and it was a 2 score game for most of the 2nd half. UT had their chances

Ah! Makes sense. 

Sorry for my ignorance but like I say, I wouldn't watch bammer, outside the IB, even if they played in my back yard.

My concern for the final push is in 2017 Gus was under the pressure of winning or losing his coach’s seat.  After the LSU game that year it *seemed* that he and CCL corroborated the offensive effort we saw the rest of the regular season.  It was a great effort between the two, taking some of each other’s offenses and producing a winning product.  Gus does not have anyone on staff to pass ideas off of this season and I’m afraid that will produce the same ole same ole offense we have seen.

Gus did seem to call plays that helped Bo with his confidence in the Ole Miss game, but I’m sure Coach Bowlcut took notice.  Bottom line is UGA will defend us as to make our Freshman QB beat them.  I hope he is up to the task.

What would be interesting is if Bama beat LSU , but lost to Auburn.  UGA lost to us and still makes the SECCG with two loses and beats Bama to be the SEC champ.  Would the committee choose LSU with one loss over an SEC Champ with two loses?  They did pick OSU over PSU a few years back.  Could you imagine how the unwashed from both Bama and UGA would react.

I could see the SEC Shorts on that one now.

Archived