Harold Joiner helps and hurts Auburn in win

aubiefifty

Running back Harold Joiner helps and hurts Auburn in win over Ole Miss

Today 8:08 AM

3-4 minutes

In Auburn’s 20-14 win over Ole Miss, running back Harold Joiner made a bigger impact on a game than he has all season, but he did so in both a positive and negative way.

Joiner had a 78-yard catch that set up Auburn’s first touchdown of the game, a 1-yard run by freshman running back D. J. Williams — but he also had a fumble near the end zone that brought the overall level of the running backs’ performance down.

“Without my fumble, I think we did well,” Joiner said. “We carried the ball well.”

The fumble happened at the end of a 3-yard run, Joiner’s only carry of the night. He rushed from the Ole Miss 5-yard line, and as he reached the 2, he prepared to dive into the end zone. However, Ole Miss cornerback Keidron Smith dove lower than Joiner and knocked the ball loose, from what Joiner can tell — he didn’t see it happen because his helmet also got knocked off during the play.

Luckily for Joiner, offensive lineman Prince Tega Wanogho has quick reflexes and fell on the ball immediately after it popped loose. Auburn had third down at the 2-yard line. But after the fumble, Auburn could not find its way into the end zone and settled for a field goal.

Despite the fumble, coach Gus Malzahn decided to put Joiner, who he described as a “big, fall-forward guy,” back in.

“It shows that he still believes in me and that he gave me another chance,” Joiner said.

It paid off. Joiner played a critical part in the win with his 78-yard reception. The touchdown it set up was more than the game differential.

Quarterback Bo Nix found Joiner on the left sideline and placed the ball in his hands around the Ole Miss 37-yard line.

“I knew that was coming, because the edge, they were biting really hard,” Joiner said. “I knew I just had to beat the edge.”

With wide receiver Shedrick Jackson blocking for him, Joiner carried it to the 1-yard line.

The reception is his longest of the season. He has made four other catches for a combined 40 yards. The catch raises his average yards per catch from 10 to 23.6 yards.

Joiner has played a little bit in all nine of Auburn’s games this season but has only carried the ball in three. He has nine rushing attempts for a total of 81 yards. His longest rush was against Arkansas and went for 32 yards.

Joiner carried the ball four times in that game and four times against Kent State in addition to his single carry against Ole Miss. He touched the ball in two other games, Oregon and Texas A&M, where he had one 28-yard reception against the Ducks and two catches for a total of six yards against the Aggies.

When starting running back Boobee Whitlow was injured during the Florida game, Malzahn said all the other running backs would see increased opportunities. They have, although Kam Martin and Williams are seeing the majority of snaps.

After Florida, Joiner’s role increased against Arkansas, but he did not play against LSU. His performance against Ole Miss — 81 total yards — was his best of the season.

“Well, I feel like I contributed a little bit,” Joiner said. “But I feel like I could have done better. I feel like I can do more.”

The opportunities are coming, he said. He just has to be patient. Until then, he’s focusing on making it a team effort.

Archived