Nix: Joey Gatewood was ‘put in a bad situation’

aubiefifty

Bo Nix: Joey Gatewood was ‘put in a bad situation’

Updated Nov 03, 2019;Posted Nov 03, 2019

5-6 minutes

Auburn Football

Gus Malzahn was appreciative of Joey Gatewood when discussing the backup quarterback’s decision to transfer last week, but Auburn’s seventh-year head coach declined to comment further when asked Saturday if he had any regrets about the way he handled Gatewood’s playing time.

Following Auburn’s 20-14 win against Ole Miss, Malzahn simply wished Gatewood well when asked about his handling of the redshirt freshman quarterback. It was Malzahn’s first time meeting with the local media since Gatewood’s departure was announced during Wednesday’s SEC coaches teleconference — when Malzahn fielded only three questions in less than four minutes before the call was cut off.

“You know, hey, he’s not with us and we wish him nothing but the best,” Malzahn said Saturday.

While Malzahn didn’t elaborate on the situation, Bo Nix, who bested Gatewood for the starting job, weighed in for the first time on Saturday.

“I think everybody was a little surprised,” Nix said. “Joey, he’s a great guy. I really wish nothing but the best for him. I mean, he was put in a bad situation and so, I mean, I don’t know what he’s going through, nobody else on the team knows what he’s going through but when we’ve talked, he’s in a good spot, he feels like.”

Malzahn named Nix the starter over Gatewood on Aug. 20 but said at the time Gatewood will still play an important role for Auburn this season. While Gatewood saw action in seven of Auburn’s first eight games, he saw his role decrease as the season went on — even when Nix struggled in losses to Florida and LSU. Gatewood did not see the field against Florida (which is about 70 miles from where he grew up in Jacksonville, Fla.) and only received one snap at quarterback against LSU.

It was after that 23-20 loss in Death Valley that Gatewood decided to reassess things. He met with Malzahn before and after practice on Tuesday but did not participate in practice that day. After sleeping on it, Gatewood opted Wednesday to leave the team with four games remaining and turn his focus to finding a transfer opportunity elsewhere with hopes of being a starting quarterback.

“You know, it was kind of tough, especially in the middle of the season,” wide receiver Anthony Schwartz said. “I came in here, and he was one of the first people I met. We had a good bond. But, whatever he thinks is good for him, I'm happy for him. Wherever he goes, I'm going to support him. At the end of the day, I'm still an Auburn Tiger, and we have to focus on the rest of the season.”

Schwartz and Gatewood arrived together as part of Auburn’s 2018 recruiting class, which was ranked 12th nationally according to the 247Sports Composite team rankings. Schwartz was a four-star receiver, while Gatewood was a four-star dual-threat quarterback and the Tigers’ highest-rated signee in the class.

The 6-foot-5, 233-pounder was immediately compared to Cam Newton, at least physically, upon signing with Auburn, but he redshirted in 2018 as the Tigers’ third-string quarterback behind Jarrett Stidham and Malik Willis. Gatewood appeared in just one game that season, making his debut in the second half of Auburn’s Music City Bowl win against Purdue.

He entered the offseason in a three-man competition for the starting quarterback job along with Willis and Nix, and by the end of spring practice it was narrowed down to him and Nix for the role of QB1. Willis transferred to Liberty while Gatewood and Nix battled throughout summer and into fall camp.

Gatewood finished this season with 54 yards and two touchdowns on 5-of-7 passing while rushing for another 148 yards and three touchdowns. His usage was largely limited to red-zone packages and late-game situations in lopsided contests. He will have to sit out next season at his next school, barring a waiver, and will have two seasons of eligibility remaining. His other option is to go the junior college route next season before returning to the FBS level in 2021 with two years of eligibility.

“I talked to him a little bit,” Schwartz said. “I didn’t really say — of course, he’s my dog. I just told him, ‘Wherever you go, I’m going to support you. You know I’ve got your back.’ And he told me that if I need him, he’s just a phone call away.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

5 hours ago, DAG said:

The young adults know. Nix knows. We don’t blame Bo at all. The coaches should know better.

Read the article carefully. Nix was likely talking about the fact that he was a backup. The "everyone was surprised he decided to leave" statement suggests that Bo wasn't necessarily talking about Joey's lack of playing time as much as it was the fact that he was behind someone on the roster in his same year. 

I feel like many are disingenuous about JG. I feel he and Bo are really just a couple of pawns being used by either side of the Gus debate when we talk about JG here. 

Before the season started I said jg wouldn't get an opportunity here after Bo was named starter, when I did I had a BUNCH of people disliking and face palming my comments and talking down at me.....now those very same people are all saying players leave all the time and one guy was going to leave to absolve Gus not being good at managing a roster.....as far as really caring anything about the situation that's few and far between. It's either say something to excuse Gus or .....well I'm not even going to bring up the other people because I don't feel like arguing. 

38 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Read the article carefully. Nix was likely talking about the fact that he was a backup. The "everyone was surprised he decided to leave" statement suggests that Bo wasn't necessarily talking about Joey's lack of playing time as much as it was the fact that he was behind someone on the roster in his same year. 

Sure 

1 hour ago, AUFriction said:

This is correct. If anyone thinks Bo Nix is going to call out the coaches in the media for misusing Gatewood (HIS backup), they're delusional. He's 100% just talking about Gatewood being a backup as a more experienced player. The same was true when Kodi Burns had to take a back seat from the new QB at the time. It's a tough situation for players to swallow their pride and let a younger guy take their spot.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

as far as really caring anything about the situation that's few and far between

I have to disagree with this statement. I think everyone that is truly orange and blue wants the very best for Joey Gatewood and hopes for nothing but success in his future. I know I do. I wish it could have been with AU but it won't be, nevertheless hoping the best for JG including an NFL career. I am sure you feel that way too.

3 minutes ago, CodeRocket said:

I have to disagree with this statement. I think everyone that is truly orange and blue wants the very best for Joey Gatewood and hopes for nothing but success in his future. I know I do. I wish it could have been with AU but it won't be, nevertheless hoping the best for JG including an NFL career. I am sure you feel that way too.

I agree with that, but I wasn't talking about that part. I was talking about his leaving and the real reason he left. I don't doubt that people wish him the best in the future but when it comes to the program looking at itself and being critical and really caring about his management it's more just oh well he was going to go. And God forbid if Bo was hurt or something like that then it would be a big argument that it's Gus fault/ it's not his fault and then whatever losses we would have they shouldn't be held against him when they really should

2 hours ago, AUFriction said:

I don’t know about you, but Joey was put in a bad situation when his HC yanked him back to the sideline and refused to put him in the game when Bo was obviously struggling.  Then to watch his HC put an injured player in over Joey was another bas situation. JMHO

Bo had to feel at least a little bad about it when he sat back and watched that film, don’t you think?

39 minutes ago, keesler said:

I don’t know about you, but Joey was put in a bad situation when his HC yanked him back to the sideline and refused to put him in the game when Bo was obviously struggling.  Then to watch his HC put an injured player in over Joey was another bas situation. JMHO

Bo had to feel at least a little bad about it when he sat back and watched that film, don’t you think?

Since we are assuming and interpreting here is my assumption ...if the roles were reversed Nix would be heading for a transfer too . Maybe he waits when the season is over, but no way does he sit behind a QB he probably thinks he is better than and the numbers show that QB is playing very poor against quality teams. 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Since we are assuming and interpreting here my assumption is if the roles were reversed Nix would be heading for a transfer too . Maybe he waits when the season is over, but no way does he sit behind a QB he probably thinks he is better than and the numbers show that QB is playing very poor against quality teams. 

no true competitor never wants to ride the pine. if gus gave joey a real shot when bo was playing bad i believe in my heart both of them would have benefited.

Archived