letting a magical season slip away

aubiefifty

6 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

1/2 would come from the AD, which would be taken care of by two donors. The other half would come from TUF. This is where the sticking point is with the some of the BOT's. In reality all AU would have to do is do what FSU did and reach out for the money. It would be raised is short order.

10-4, thanks for the clarification

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

10-4, thanks for the clarification

So I am told anyways. Either way, the cash is there. The TUF part would have to get the BOT's approval. People would take care of that portion but some on the BOT don't want the bad press it could get. It's still a very fluid situation.

2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

So I am told anyways. Either way, the cash is there. The TUF part would have to get the BOT's approval. People would take care of that portion but some on the BOT don't want the bad press it could get. It's still a very fluid situation.

Eh, we're Auburn. We get bad press even when a charismatic Heisman winner with a 1,000 watt smile leads us to a national championship. But I like that bad press better than the losing kind. 

I get that big folks with big money and big problems think about this differently than I do, but the possible bad press seems silly to worry about. LSU and uga don't seem to be hurting from it. 

I know I'm preaching to the choir here. 

On 11/3/2019 at 3:32 PM, AUFriction said:

The coach it would take to get to 11 win seasons every year would never come here, and that’s assuming an available one exists. 

How 'bout a HC that can string together 9 wins back to back?  Or God willing a HC that can muster up 10 wins back to back?

Most of us aren't demanding 11 win season every year Friction, we just want better than this current streak of averaging 8 win seasons from a top 5 paid staff.  

19 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

I agree.

If he's truly for real, well, like I told him before, he brings out the worst.

However, if he's trolling, which thanks to @McLoofus I believe may very well be the case, he's DANG GOOD!!!

Too many options to choose from here, so I'll just pick one and reply to all of the comments.

To the posters on this forum...

I've been vague on here with my background because I've run across one or two legitimate screwballs who I could see attacking me, my family, or my property if they track me down. But I now feel like I have to defend myself here, so I'll give you all a little more and risk breaking anonymity. It should be noted that nothing I've posted about who I am is in any way false. It has just been posted in pieces so that I could try to remain more anonymous. 

1. I have a PhD in Industrial Psychology, which is the science behind why people do what they do in a workplace. As a part of my degree, I minored in behavioral statistics and inferential analysis. The major outcome we study as a field is human performance. What makes humans perform well? How do we accurately determine if people are or aren't performing well? What can we do to enhance it? What can hurt it? What can we do to predict it effectively who is likely to succeed in the future? Because of the obvious parallels between this field and the field of sport psychology and the fact that there aren't a lot of graduate programs in the field of sport psychology, a large percentage of sport psychologists came through Industrial Psych programs. I'm not super active in the sport psych realm, but I have collaborated with sport psychologists (see point 5). I identified myself primarily as a sport psychologist on this forum specifically because that's easier than doing what I attempted to do in this paragraph (try to explain Industrial Psychology and its ties to Sport Psychology). But the reality is that we study the same concepts (motivation, performance, teamwork, stress, culture, etc.). This, by the way, is why I'm so verbose. I got used to writing a lot in a short amount of time. 

2. Those of you with federal government ties will understand why I can't name my company. But I do work for a rocket company as my main job. My focus is analytics, particularly people analytics. It is my job to help identify who should be tagged for managerial positions, who should be hired/fired, and who is a risk to leave the company. I literally spend most of my work days looking at data, which is why I'm so focused on what the numbers show and why I can come off as a bit pompous when I see doing what I perceive to be cherry picking data or poor interpretation. Oddly enough, I was one of Gus's biggest detractors when we hired him. I was a detractor when he failed to change anything between 2014 and 2016. It was numbers (not my subjective judgment) that changed my opinion from "we never should have hired this guy" to "he's not as bad as people are making him out to be."

3. (Something that hasn't come up yet) I'm a part time faculty member at a pretty well known university in my current state where I teach undergraduate and graduate students. Right now, I'm teaching an Industrial Psychology course for both levels (grad/undergrad). 

4. (Something else that hasn't come up yet) Since grad school, I've stayed active as a  researcher. I've published and presented research on motivation, performance evaluation, personnel selection, and stress. I even ran a research lab for a little while that specifically focused on demotivating mechanisms in people (where I was allowed to let undergrads intentionally tick people off for the purpose of research). 

5. In semesters where I'm not teaching, I have a side consulting business, where I take on a very small number of clients. As a part of this work, I've collaborated with some sport psychologists, including doing some work on developing a motivational assessment for athletes. I've also done consulting in the past through 2 consulting agencies. 

So, I'm not exaggerating the stuff that I know. I'm not making anything up. I have a unique perspective on athletic performance. Admittedly though, I have two pet peeves that have pushed me a bit out of control on here at times. 1. I loathe emotion-based judgment making. Per my background, I know what causes it, but I also know how many problems it causes. When I see someone making what I perceive to be a wrong statement and that statement appears to be more grounded in emotions than facts or numbers, I tend to attack harshly, which is why I've ticked some of you off here lately. 2. I've worked very hard to get where I'm at. I spent a lot of my younger years reading and learning outside of school by choice. My work paid off as I've scored very high on IQ tests. I've sacrificed a lot mentally and physically (stress and poor sleep takes a bad toll on your body) to finish my degrees, and I'm paying a bit of a penalty for it now as my health isn't in the greatest shape. Because of what it's cost me, being an intelligent, highly educated person is my biggest source of pride. When you attack it, I'm going to get defensive. This is why I've maybe seemed to get worse in the last day or two. 

Some of you are going to read this and understand me better. Some of you have already written me off. Some of you may still think I'm lying. Either way, all I can do is to say that this is me being as authentic as I can and hope that you guys are capable of seeing that. 

Some of you at this point have it so ingrained in your heads that Gus is bad that no numbers, facts, or figures are going to sway you. But I can't hang out here right now. I'm enjoying this season, and I still think the Gus hating group is being a bit unrealistic. But reading the emotion fueled anti-Gus comments is now affecting me. It is ruining the season that I don't think has been that bad thus far, and it is leaving me ticked off all the time. That's why I've been arguing with people on here non-stop over the past week or two. So, I'm going to (mostly) step away from the forum for the rest of this season.

I'll leave you all to continue the endless debate over Gus. But I want to leave you with a phrase of caution which has been a big driving force behind my frustration... Be careful what you wish for. Should Gus be fired, it is likely that we are no better off than we are now (and quite possible we'd be worse off), and running Gus off right now would potentially make us look like a toxic fan base, which will have lingering effects that prevent us from hiring good coaches in the future. Hopefully Gus will pull out 4 wins to finish the season, and will turn some of your frowns upside down (something that I think most of us will get behind). 

See you all at the end of the season, and 

War Eagle!

Sincerely, 

AUFriction

P.S. Someone commented on my username. It has nothing to do with wanting to stir the pot. I was in a band in high school that had the word "friction" in the name, and it is something I've just used in usernames on occasion ever since. There's at least one poster on this forum (a member of that band and fellow AU alumna) that probably just figured out who I am from that...

18 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Also, isn't this the same guy who claimed, last year, that he was some sort of vaunted sports psychologist?

Close enough, but even more multi-talented. Thanks, I had forgotten that autobiography...lol.

Brain Surgery Gifts - Brain Surgery Gift Ideas on Zazzle.ca

5 hours ago, AUFriction said:

EDIT

Not that I'm important or what I say matters but...

Friction actually PM'd me and dude is legit sorry for how things have gone down.  I also can see that there were some drivers that led him that way, so as I said, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Also, I have obviously removed my yada-yada and am just replacing it with a War Eagle to my new buddy @AUFriction.

War Eagle brother!!!

1 hour ago, AUFriction said:

Too many options to choose from here, so I'll just pick one and reply to all of the comments.

I've been vague on here with my background because I've run across one or two legitimate screwballs who I could see attacking me, my family, or my property if they track me down. But I now feel like I have to defend myself here, so I'll give you all a little more and risk breaking anonymity. It should be noted that nothing I've posted about who I am is in any way false. It has just been posted in pieces so that I could try to remain more anonymous. 

1. I have a PhD in Industrial Psychology, which is the science behind why people do what they do in a workplace. As a part of my degree, I minored in behavioral statistics and inferential analysis. The major outcome we study as a field is human performance. What makes humans perform well? How do we accurately determine if people are or aren't performing well? What can we do to enhance it? What can hurt it? What can we do to predict it effectively who is likely to succeed in the future? Because of the obvious parallels between this field and the field of sport psychology and the fact that there aren't a lot of graduate programs in the field of sport psychology, a large percentage of sport psychologists came through Industrial Psych programs. I'm not super active in the sport psych realm, but I have collaborated with sport psychologists (see point 5). I identified myself primarily as a sport psychologist on this forum specifically because that's easier than doing what I attempted to do in this paragraph (try to explain Industrial Psychology and its ties to Sport Psychology). But the reality is that we study the same concepts (motivation, performance, teamwork, stress, culture, etc.). This, by the way, is why I'm so verbose. I got used to writing a lot in a short amount of time. 

2. Those of you with federal government ties will understand why I can't name my company. But I do work for a rocket company as my main job. My focus is analytics, particularly people analytics. It is my job to help identify who should be tagged for managerial positions, who should be hired/fired, and who is a risk to leave the company. I literally spend most of my work days looking at data, which is why I'm so focused on what the numbers show and why I can come off as a bit pompous when I see doing what I perceive to be cherry picking data or poor interpretation. Oddly enough, I was one of Gus's biggest detractors when we hired him. I was a detractor when he failed to change anything between 2014 and 2016. It was numbers (not my subjective judgment) that changed my opinion from "we never should have hired this guy" to "he's not as bad as people are making him out to be."

3. (Something that hasn't come up yet) I'm a part time faculty member at a pretty well known university in my current state where I teach undergraduate and graduate students. Right now, I'm teaching an Industrial Psychology course for both levels (grad/undergrad). 

4. (Something else that hasn't come up yet) Since grad school, I've stayed active as a  researcher. I've published and presented research on motivation, performance evaluation, personnel selection, and stress. I even ran a research lab for a little while that specifically focused on demotivating mechanisms in people (where I was allowed to let undergrads intentionally tick people off for the purpose of research). 

5. In semesters where I'm not teaching, I have a side consulting business, where I take on a very small number of clients. As a part of this work, I've collaborated with some sport psychologists, including doing some work on developing a motivational assessment for athletes. I've also done consulting in the past through 2 consulting agencies. 

So, I'm not exaggerating the stuff that I know. I'm not making anything up. I have a unique perspective on athletic performance. Admittedly though, I have two pet peeves that have pushed me a bit out of control on here at times. 1. I loathe emotion-based judgment making. Per my background, I know what causes it, but I also know how many problems it causes. When I see someone making what I perceive to be a wrong statement and that statement appears to be more grounded in emotions than facts or numbers, I tend to attack harshly, which is why I've ticked some of you off here lately. 2. I've worked very hard to get where I'm at. I spent a lot of my younger years reading and learning outside of school by choice. My work paid off as I've scored very high on IQ tests. I've sacrificed a lot mentally and physically (stress and poor sleep takes a bad toll on your body) to finish my degrees, and I'm paying a bit of a penalty for it now as my health isn't in the greatest shape. Because of what it's cost me, being an intelligent, highly educated person is my biggest source of pride. When you attack it, I'm going to get defensive. This is why I've maybe seemed to get worse in the last day or two. 

Some of you are going to read this and understand me better. Some of you have already written me off. Some of you may still think I'm lying. Either way, all I can do is to say that this is me being as authentic as I can and hope that you guys are capable of seeing that. 

Some of you at this point have it so ingrained in your heads that Gus is bad that no numbers, facts, or figures are going to sway you. But I can't hang out here right now. I'm enjoying this season, and I still think the Gus hating group is being a bit unrealistic. But reading the emotion fueled anti-Gus comments is now affecting me. It is ruining the season that I don't think has been that bad thus far, and it is leaving me ticked off all the time. That's why I've been arguing with people on here non-stop over the past week or two. So, I'm going to (mostly) step away from the forum for the rest of this season.

I'll leave you all to continue the endless debate over Gus. But I want to leave you with a phrase of caution which has been a big driving force behind my frustration... Be careful what you wish for. Should Gus be fired, it is likely that we are no better off than we are now (and quite possible we'd be worse off), and running Gus off right now would potentially make us look like a toxic fan base, which will have lingering effects that prevent us from hiring good coaches in the future. Hopefully Gus will pull out 4 wins to finish the season, and will turn some of your frowns upside down (something that I think most of us will get behind). 

War Eagle!

Sincerely, 

AUFriction

P.S. Someone commented on my username. It has nothing to do with wanting to stir the pot. I was in a band in high school that had the word "friction" in the name, and it is something I've just used in usernames on occasion ever since. There's at least one poster on this forum (a member of that band and fellow AU alumnus) that probably just figured out who I am from that...

Your not the guys who  design the Coyotes rockets are you?  Cause if you are.......................

1 hour ago, AUFriction said:

AUFriction

Thanks for a little background information about yourself.

I know you're leaving the board, by as a Psychologist who studies human behavior at an advanced level -  Can you shed any light on why a man like CGM is so unwilling to allow another Coach, better suited in today's offensive concepts to take over the AU offense?

He is a smart man, possibly brilliant in his way of thinking but he absolutely can not step away and let someone with more creativity take over the job.  He's had multiple opportunities to do this and instead of just backing away, he double down on himself and took full control.  This offense has struggled more than it's executed at a high level for years now.  What makes him dig his heels in so deep, why can't he see that his schemes are not productive at  high enough level to consistently compete with the upper level SEC teams?

5 hours ago, AUFriction said:

War Eagle!

Sincerely, 

AUFriction

P.S. Someone commented on my username. It has nothing to do with wanting to stir the pot. I was in a band in high school that had the word "friction" in the name, and it is something I've just used in usernames on occasion ever since. There's at least one poster on this forum (a member of that band and fellow AU alumna) that probably just figured out who I am from that...

War Eagle!  

Come back soon!

On 11/3/2019 at 2:01 PM, Old fan 47 said:

Good post. Gus is nowhere near an offensive guru. All teams with partial talent on defense are not fooled by his pee wee brand of football. As fans, we all have the right to our opinion and the bottom line is this: 1) we are going to be in big trouble on both sides of the lines next year 2) our recruiting has been creeping outside of the top 10 in the last few years and 3) I for one do not expect to compete for a national title every year, but averaging 8 wins is well below what AU athletes and fans should expect. Many of us on here could argue these points all day, but the bottom line which is the record and the way our offenses have looked the last 4 years is just not getting it done. Don’t get me wrong, I do not put all blame on Gus, because he didn’t miss three field goals last night, but play calling and execution definitely contributes to a field goal being 45 or 35. 

So right.  If you are OK with mediocrity then you will always accept underperformance.

On 11/3/2019 at 3:37 PM, bigbird said:

8 wins out if 12 is 66%

9 wins out if 12 is 75%

Why expect and settle for a failing grade. 9 should be the minimum. With our talent, recruiting footprint, and resources, We should beat everyone on our schedule except LSU, Bama, and UGA and those should be 50/50 games. That is what the expectations should be.

I agree Bird...50-50 games mean you’re gonna win those half the time.  Unfortunately that is not happening.  We’re barely over 50% vs MSFreakingU!

4 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

EDIT

Not that I'm important or what I say matters but...

Friction actually PM'd me and dude is legit sorry for how things have gone down.  I also can see that there were some drivers that led him that way, so as I said, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Also, I have obviously removed my yada-yada and am just replacing it with a War Eagle to my new buddy @AUFriction.

War Eagle brother!!!

I have to admit I’m a little disappointed he wasn’t doing the Kaufman bit...🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, keesler said:

Thanks for a little background information about yourself.

I know you're leaving the board, by as a Psychologist who studies human behavior at an advanced level -  Can you shed any light on why a man like CGM is so unwilling to allow another Coach, better suited in today's offensive concepts to take over the AU offense?

He is a smart man, possibly brilliant in his way of thinking but he absolutely can not step away and let someone with more creativity take over the job.  He's had multiple opportunities to do this and instead of just backing away, he double down on himself and took full control.  This offense has struggled more than it's executed at a high level for years now.  What makes him dig his heels in so deep, why can't he see that his schemes are not productive at  high enough level to consistently compete with the upper level SEC teams?

I know you are asking this question to another poster, but I thought I'd chime in.

I agree with your sentiments.

I think Gus realizes that his job is essentially on the line here. He tried taking a role as a CEO, laying his hands off Chip Lindsey's playbook (or not, depending on what you think) and the success was there with 2017's 10-win campaign, but not consistent. Now Lindsey is gone. Dillingham is probably thanking his lucky stars that he has a job in the SEC, albeit in an extremely limited capacity. Gus is betting on himself again, and that's how he came to the NCAA; it was his playcalls and offensive gameplans that got him this far, and he's not interested in delegating this responsibility on others. He got here because of his full involvement in his offense, and he's going to exit the same way as a true playcaller. There's really no other reason I can think of, especially with his assembly of offensive coaches that do not exactly impress you with their resumes.

On 11/5/2019 at 1:40 PM, AUFriction said:

Hopefully Gus will pull out 4 wins to finish the season, and will turn some of your frowns upside down (something that I think most of us will get behind). 

Thanks Friction. I feel pretty good about November. 

On 11/5/2019 at 7:16 PM, Warbird82 said:

I agree Bird...50-50 games mean you’re gonna win those half the time.  Unfortunately that is not happening.  We’re barely over 50% vs MSFreakingU!

What team is 50-50 vs bammer over the last ten years? Very few teams are 50-50 vs LSU and UGA. Auburn is not 50-50 against those teams throughout history. Now it's demand that which has not been done before or fire the coach? I want AU to beat those teams too but I don't think beating the bushes for some up and comer is the right thing to do.

AU is ranked #11 this week. There are 10 teams ranked above us and over 100 ranked lower. It's much, much worse at a lot of places.

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

What team is 50-50 vs bammer over the last ten years? Very few teams are 50-50 vs LSU and UGA. Auburn is not 50-50 against those teams throughout history. Now it's demand that which has not been done before or fire the coach? I want AU to beat those teams too but I don't think beating the bushes for some up and comer is the right thing to do.

We very much were against UGA.  Until Gus got here, we actually were tied in the all time series.  We now trail the mutts by 3 games (he's 2-5).

We were also relatively close to .500 against LSU all time prior to Gus.  It was 26-20 LSU pre-Gus.  Now 31-22.  Also, from 1992-2012, we were 10-11 vs LSU.  I specifically chose those years because the 1992 expansion is when we started playing them every season.  Since Gus's arrival in 2013, we are 2-5.

So as you can see, no one here is demanding what other coaches haven't done.  It's been proven on the field that we can play with UGA and LSU at a 50/50 clip.  I think most everyone here understands the historical run that Bama is on and is willing to give a pass there.  But it's these two games in particular that have become infuriating on a yearly basis.

5 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

We very much were against UGA.  Until Gus got here, we actually were tied in the all time series.  We now trail the mutts by 3 games (he's 2-5).

We were also relatively close to .500 against LSU all time prior to Gus.  It was 26-20 LSU pre-Gus.  Now 31-22.  Also, from 1992-2012, we were 10-11 vs LSU.  I specifically chose those years because the 1992 expansion is when we started playing them every season.  Since Gus's arrival in 2013, we are 2-5.

So as you can see, no one here is demanding what other coaches haven't done.  It's been proven on the field that we can play with UGA and LSU at a 50/50 clip.  I think most everyone here understands the historical run that Bama is on and is willing to give a pass there.  But it's these two games in particular that have become infuriating on a yearly basis.

I would also add that prior to Saban I believe Auburn was something in the realm of 15-11 against the turds since Dye took over. Auburn can compete 50/50 with those teams. I’m amazed that folks like mikey just concede to our biggest rivals and believe their own school cannot hang with the big boys. 

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

AU is ranked #11 this week. There are 10 teams ranked above us and over 100 ranked lower. It's much, much worse at a lot of places.

50/50 games don't mean you win them 50% of the time. It means that both teams are competitive and it is a toss up to which one wins. I feel fairly confident that you know that though. 

We have not been competitive in most of those types of games. 

On 11/5/2019 at 9:15 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Up in the air right now. Got zero leadership on the BOT.

Sounds about par for the course when it comes to AU. SMH.

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

kjkj.gif

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

kjkj.gif

It's no use trying to convince the Gus defenders that Auburn should and could have better results on the field than the past. It can happen and it's spelled C*L*E*M*S*O*N at the moment. Yet here we are with our Auburn house divided and those of us who want better are hearing nothing but...

xysdjowdutzz.gif

8 minutes ago, gr82be said:

It's no use trying to convince the Gus defenders that Auburn should and could have better results on the field than the past. It can happen and it's spelled C*L*E*M*S*O*N at the moment. Yet here we are with our Auburn house divided and those of us who want better are hearing nothing but...

xysdjowdutzz.gif

BAHAHHAHAHAHAH YOU ARE KICKING EVERYONES ASS IN THE GIF GAME!!! I LOVE THIS SO MUCH! Accurate too.

What is even worse is they act like we are some South Carolina type school with no historical success to speak of!!!! Lol. Like ughhhhhhhhhhh we have the 12th most wins in college football history out of power 5 schools!!!! WE ARE A FREAKING POWER!!!!  But they all be like: AWWWW SHUCKS 8-4?!?! MORE SIR!!!! MORE!!! I WANT SOME MORE!!!! hahahaha. They want to be the underdog forever. WHY SO SCARED AU FANS THAT ARE LIKE THIS?!?! lol.

They fight us on trying to tell us we are not a  college football power when we absolutely are. It is like they have no desire to ever have sustained success.......

Archived