letting a magical season slip away

aubiefifty

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Oh my god Im sick of having to answer this stupid argument...for the 99th freaking time...no one on here said a damn thing about going unbeaten every year or doing what bama has done. Just play a decent god forsaken offense and don’t look like dog poo in big games. That’s literally all we’re saying. With a halfway decent, competent offense we are 9-0 right now. Go back and read birds post where with a halfway competent offense we are about 40-4 in our last 44. But no one, like literally zero people I know have said they expect perfection every year. Good grief.

So you don’t want us to win every game. You just want the team to play perfect every time, and for none of our teams to ever have a weakness. That’s different somehow from wanting to win every game. Got it! Thanks for straightening that out for me.

1 minute ago, AUFriction said:

So you don’t want us to win every game. You just want the team to play perfect every time, and for none of our teams to ever have a weakness. That’s different somehow from wanting to win every game. Got it! Thanks for straightening that out for me.

You still make no sense but Im not surprised. If the idiot coach could just figure out his OWN offense...we would have been playing for much higher stakes this year. No perfection...just decent...what part of that is hard for you?

6 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Oh my god Im sick of having to answer this stupid argument...for the 99th freaking time...no one on here said a damn thing about going unbeaten every year or doing what bama has done. Just play a decent god forsaken offense and don’t look like dog poo in big games. That’s literally all we’re saying. With a halfway decent, competent offense we are 9-0 right now. Go back and read birds post where with a halfway competent offense we are about 40-4 in our last 44. But no one, like literally zero people I know have said they expect perfection every year. Good grief.

Exactly. Since 2014 we have lost to:

A 5-loss Texas A&M team

A 5-loss Arkansas team

A 5-loss Texas A&M team (again!)

A 5-loss Georgia team

A 4-loss LSU team (that lost to TROY!)

A 5-loss MSU team

aaaannnnnnd...

A 7-loss Tennessee team

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

In a 12 game season, 8 should never be expected. 

Take a look at the best coaches in our history. Most of them have averaged between 65 and 70 percent wins. 8/12 is 66.6%. 9/12 is 75%. Most coaches that have done “well” here have won the equivalent (accounting for changes in the number of games) of 8-9 games a season. That’s not opinion. It’s statitsics. 

Just now, AUwent said:

Exactly. Since 2014 we have lost to:

A 5-loss Texas A&M team

A 5-loss Arkansas team

A 5-loss Texas A&M team (again!)

A 5-loss Georgia team

A 4-loss LSU team (that lost to TROY!)

A 5-loss MSU team

aaaannnnnnd...

A 7-loss Tennessee team

🏆🏆

What part of this is hard for them? Just let the records speak for themselves...4 losses every single year but 2013...and this year is looking on track too...

0FEA9276-7777-4AE0-AE0D-7F9F8802F2EB.jpeg

1 minute ago, nixtosanders94 said:

🏆🏆

What part of this is hard for them? Just let the records speak for themselves...4 losses every single year but 2013...and this year is looking on track too...

And if we win the games I listed above, that record becomes:
12-2, 9-4, 8-5, 10-3, 11-3, 10-3

...likely with a playoff appearance in 2017. If that had been what happened, and if he had actually made decent OL decisions, I know I wouldn't be complaining right now.

1 minute ago, AUFriction said:

Take a look at the best coaches in our history. Most of them have averaged between 65 and 70 percent wins. 8/12 is 66.6%. 9/12 is 75%. Most coaches that have done “well” here have won the equivalent (accounting for changes in the number of games) of 8-9 games a season. That’s not opinion. It’s statitsics. 

And? So, we just accept it? We continue to watch a coach who is completely lost on the side of the ball he is supposed to own? What’s maddening is if Mr. Waffle House could evolve and adapt his offense just slightly he would be exactly the kind of coach Auburn needs...but he obviously can’t...but apparently thats ok because thats all Auburn has ever been or will ever be right? You know a few hears ago you could say the same thing about Clemson...and at one point FSU was a girls school and sucked at football early on. And Miami was just a commuter school with no football tradition...so yeah its impossible for a program to improve...

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

And if we win the games I listed above, that record becomes:
12-2, 9-4, 8-5, 10-3, 11-3, 10-3

...likely with a playoff appearance in 2017. If that had been what happened, and if he had actually made decent OL decisions, I know I wouldn't be complaining right now.

I wouldn’t either and this wouldn’t even be a debate...

29 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Dye didn’t even coach in the West...because it didn’t exist...and bama had some good teams including the one that rolled into JHS unbeaten and ranked 2nd in 89. Tennessee was very good back then as well and we had to play them every year. All y’all do is make excuses for Gus instead of wishing for better.  

This. We played Florida every year back then too.

18 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

🏆🏆

VS LSU 2-5

VS Georgia 2-5

VS Alabama 2-4

The fact that these articles are being written and all this back-and-forth is going on on the board after a win when we are 7-2.....SMH, this speaks volumes about where our program is with this head coach.

2 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

A post recently indicated this felt like 2012. Anyone sitting at any game in 2012 knows it’s not even close.

Got to agree with you there. That team was way worse, BUT I actually had HOPE at the end of that year. So it doesn't feel the same this year at all.

To take a giant leap out there and try to change the subject at least a little bit: with a guy like me that is afraid of turning into a Tennessee, USC, FSU, UT etc. what active available coach out there do you think gets us to an average 8-4 every year?

With the Auburn culture, I think our best bet is Hugh Freeze. To the Bible crowd, (which I am probably in) we can say he got rehabilitated at Liberty, so he’s our guy.

6 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Got to agree with you there. That team was way worse, BUT I actually had HOPE at the end of that year. So it doesn't feel the same this year at all.

I agree. I remember thinking...nowhere to go but up.  I think it was Texas A And M   that just embarrassed us. I live a long way off and flew in for that game. It was not fun but I did not expect anything. The big difference is the expectation is much higher now. Guess that makes it more painful.

I’ve said this before but what would our record be if we played the Ark/MSU/Ole Miss of years past? Those three teams are extremely horrid and our talent simply overwhelmed theirs. Tulane was better competition than them and they would probably beat all three of those teams. The TAMU win isn’t bad because we beat them in their house. Our impressive win is Oregon and that’s really it. 

5 minutes ago, wde1968 said:

Have any of you seen how bad Ole Miss is this year????

I agree....and before I say my next sentence, I AM not saying they are even remotely good, but Bama is the only team that has blown them out. I guess that’s coming with LSU.

4 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

To take a giant leap out there and try to change the subject at least a little bit: with a guy like me that is afraid of turning into a Tennessee, USC, FSU, UT etc. what active available coach out there do you think gets us to an average 8-4 every year?

With the Auburn culture, I think our best bet is Hugh Freeze. To the Bible crowd, (which I am probably in) we can say he got rehabilitated at Liberty, so he’s our guy.

I see what you’re saying but I hope and want for better. With the “Auburn culture” I want to see us make the leap that Clemson has. I think we can with the right guy at the helm. I’m not entirely sure who that guy is but I don’t think it’s our current guy. I don’t think many would have predicted that Dabo would be that guy for them so it will require somebody (ie AG)doing some thoughtful searching and the Prez/BOT letting the process work like it is supposed to. It is a risk but what in life that’s worthwhile doesn’t have risk?

1 hour ago, nixtosanders94 said:

All y’all do is make excuses for Gus instead of wishing for better.  

Not being critical, but I think wishing for better is about all you can do. I don’t realistically see a top tier coach wanting to come here until a period of steady period of drama free coach/fan/BOT/AD relationships exist. Be it jet-gate, constant buy-out talk, highest donor having the say, puppet AD, blah blah blah this isn’t a good environment to coach. Granted the benefit of failure is great (are we still paying the past 3 coaches?) and that too is evidence of a less than ideal environment. We’ve bled ourselves on gambles (Chizik/Malzahn) so imagine what kind of contract we’d have to offer a proven top tier coach, and the uproar when he fails to live up to the standards that would come with it. Heck, even those in love with Smart (which I am not) remember how he declined because of the lack of willingness to change from the old Auburn ways. 

Much of our culture needs to change before fans can realistically expect to contend for top coaches.

edit-  ** I do believe that AD Greene is a step in the right direction**

Take a look at the best coaches in our history. Most of them have averaged between 65 and 70 percent wins. 8/12 is 66.6%. 9/12 is 75%. Most coaches that have done “well” here have won the equivalent (accounting for changes in the number of games) of 8-9 games a season. 

Gus is currently at about 69% wins, which puts him on par with the other good coaches we’ve had.

Some percentages:

-Tuberville- 68%

- Dye- 71%

-Jordan- 68%

-Donahue-74%

Given the change in number of games, all of these coaches averaged between 8 and 9 wins a season.

Like the article says, clearly an offense with potential. Right now its loaded with talented frosh & sophs at key positions,  missing big plays at bad times. O line rarely looking the part (not Malzahn) is the head scratcher of this season IMHO.

It hasn't slipped away yet.

Bama beats LSU to become #1.

We beat UGA to become 5 or 6. We then beat #1 Bama.

Will be a strong argument to be a playoff team.

And this will absolutely happen. 

My prediction;

We beat UGA 6-3, Anders pulls it together and gets 2 55+ yarders.

We beat Bama 2-0, in OT.

There are weeks where a win is a win, and you take it and be happy.  This week was one of them.  The game after an emotional loss like LSU is almost always bad. The kids gave 110% at LSU on every play.  It was just a devastating loss.  Add in the emotion of Gatewood leaving the team, and we were ripe for an upset.  One mark of a good team is the ability to play poorly and still win.  I'll take it. Not a lot of difference between Ole Miss and South Carolina, and I'm happy we didn't pull a Georgia on Saturday.  We've got a week off to lick our wounds, and we'll come back and be ready for Georgia.  That game is going to be a tossup, and I hope it lands our way.  I'm almost hoping for Bama to beat LSU next week. I'm still butthurt over our loss. What does it take to draw a PI, anyway?

18 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

It hasn't slipped away yet.

Bama beats LSU to become #1.

Even if LSU beats Alabama, we win out, and LSU is SEC champ, we still have a strong argument depending on the rest of the conferences. 

Odds aren’t in our favor to be a contender, but if we do our part and win out the season is still decent. Yeah, a little more output offensively makes it a great one, but it is far from terrible... even fits the common board consensus as an expected season (10 wins).  We don’t win out without some offensive juice, so that would mean improvement as the season progresses. Again, odds aren’t in our favor, but...

Archived