letting a magical season slip away

aubiefifty

5 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Did anyone seriously think we could run the table into CFP wth a True Freshman under center?

No, they did not. Just dig up one of the pre-season threads and look at their predictions. However, now that AU has lost only two games at this point they want to act like we "should" be 9-0, that 9-0 was expected by everyone, that this was somehow supposed to be a magical season and it isn't so we need to fire the coach.  Same ol' tired BS from a slightly different angle.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Mikey said:

No, they did not. Just dig up one of the pre-season threads and look at their predictions. However, now that AU has lost only two games at this point they want to act like we "should" be 9-0, that 9-0 was expected by everyone, that this was somehow supposed to be a magical season and it isn't so we need to fire the coach.  Same ol' tired BS from a slightly different angle.

Yah Michael it is a fact that I said we would go 8-4 this season. It is also a fact we should of won the Florida and LSU game. What peoples pre season predictions are have nothing to do at all with how this season has played out. We are just reacting to the way the games have played out on the field. All we needed was a average offense to pull those games out. 

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Yah Michael it is a fact that I said we would go 8-4 this season.

You have answered his question.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

You have answered his question.

Do you just have fond memories growing up of mass adventures of cherry picking or something when you were a kid? Because the nostalgia is real with you and you keeeeeeep freaking cherry picking every day in here with multiple peoples posts!! Thank you so much for doing the same thing to me and ignoring the rest of what I said because it does not fit the Michael JR Linebacker GURU narrative.

Ok. So I have been a Gus supporter for years. I was on the fence this year, but I thought since he was taking everything on I would wait and see. After UF, I was highly frusterated, but I knew it was a tough atmosphere and True Freshman QB so I gave it a pass. Then Res Stick happened. That loss was maddening. I swore off Gus forever. At this point I just have no faith. I cannot forgive the LSU loss and many others over the last 7 years. This post isn't to bash or support...just to give my 2 cents worth on the state of the season and the state of the program. With that said....I am now going to give my analysis from a step back. This is from talking to other team fans, other message boards, hearing what the national talking heads think and other things contributed. Here goes.

I think honestly everyone with any sense knew our schedule was ridiculously tough. I mean this is the type of schedule where you need things like 2013 to happen to come out unbeaten. Many predicted us to lose to Oregon. Others predicted a loss to Texas A&M, LSU and UF. Well we split those 4. Then I think everybody penciled us in for losses in amen corner against UGA and BAMA. Many of us expected to have a worse record than we do right now. We all said "it's not if we lose but how we lose. If we are competitive ...dot dot dot"  Well we are 7-2, we have lost on the road in two of NCAA's toughest Venues to the best team in the country IMO and a Nasty Defensive team in UF. I honestly think that we are no more than 5 plays away from being undefeated. One could argue that we are 2 plays away really. DJ stepping out of bounds in Red Stick and D. Brown getting taking out by Chris Kyle at the Swamp. Yes I know we could argue we are also 5 plays away from being 6-3 or 5-4, but semantics can go back and forth all day. That's not what I am trying to do here. We were competitive in both the UF and LSU games. I know the offense was putrid. It was horrific. I am also one of the people all fall that said our TFr QB would cost us a game or two. Well that has come to fruition. After rewatching those games...I feel better than I did about where our program is at and where the season is at. Gus has improved in his play calling. He has done better with player utilization. He has tried to utilize the middle of the field. He has thrown to TEs. In fact, we have targeted TEs more this year than any other season in the past 10 years. He has done most of the things I personally wanted to see him do. Of course I can find things to complain about. I can find calls I didn't like or thought were bad, but any fan from any team from any sport can do that in any game. I do not think Gus Malzahn's play calling has lost us a game this year. I think our OL and our young QB are why we have any blemishes. I am overall happy with the state of the program, the recruiting, I think players are developing. We are about to put a lot of players in the league this draft. 

I think our Defense has turned out better than I expected. I mean we knew we were going to be nasty up front, and I had a hunch LB would not drop off due to athleticism at the position, but they have really became a strength. I think the secondary has played as well as we could ask for the most part. Yes we give up a lot of yards in the air, but in all fairness....teams do not have much success on the ground against us and many of those yards came in garbage time with backups. The defense has exceeded all my and many other's expectations. This is a Championship level Defense. No doubt about it. I think 10 years ago...we go unbeaten with this team alone. Offenses have definitely changed this past decade.(except ours lol)

Our Offense has looked good against bad teams and bad against good teams. Even in the two losses though, I thought Gus dialed up some good plays that if executed....are game changers. The good news is...We wont be worrying about a true frosh QB for a while. Gus also seems to have realized you can't sign 3 OL and a huge green DE/DT to convert every class. I think he has also improved in recruiting QBs the past couple of years. I think he has done well recruiting OL this class. We had an immediate need and he seems to have addressed it with some big JUCO immediate impact guys with a couple years to play and some good young HS kids that can develop. Honestly...I like where the program is and where we are headed. I honestly think we will have a better record in 2020 than 2019. Regardless of the last 3 games win or lose. I think we are going to be OK next year D will have some drop off on the line but still top 5 SEC Def as a whole. We have all our weapons back on Offense, and I think OL will be better than this years group by mid season ....addition by subtraction kind of thing. 

Regardless how we all feel about CGM, let's get behind our program and our team...and let's kick the dogcrap out of thUGA and Bama and finish this thing strong. Be ready....Chaos is coming. WAR DAMN EAGLE

2 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Ok. So I have been a Gus supporter for years. I was on the fence this year, but I thought since he was taking everything on I would wait and see. After UF, I was highly frusterated, but I knew it was a tough atmosphere and True Freshman QB so I gave it a pass. Then Res Stick happened. That loss was maddening. I swore off Gus forever. At this point I just have no faith. I cannot forgive the LSU loss and many others over the last 7 years. This post isn't to bash or support...just to give my 2 cents worth on the state of the season and the state of the program. With that said....I am now going to give my analysis from a step back. This is from talking to other team fans, other message boards, hearing what the national talking heads think and other things contributed. Here goes.

I think honestly everyone with any sense knew our schedule was ridiculously tough. I mean this is the type of schedule where you need things like 2013 to happen to come out unbeaten. Many predicted us to lose to Oregon. Others predicted a loss to Texas A&M, LSU and UF. Well we split those 4. Then I think everybody penciled us in for losses in amen corner against UGA and BAMA. Many of us expected to have a worse record than we do right now. We all said "it's not if we lose but how we lose. If we are competitive ...dot dot dot"  Well we are 7-2, we have lost on the road in two of NCAA's toughest Venues to the best team in the country IMO and a Nasty Defensive team in UF. I honestly think that we are no more than 5 plays away from being undefeated. One could argue that we are 2 plays away really. DJ stepping out of bounds in Red Stick and D. Brown getting taking out by Chris Kyle at the Swamp. Yes I know we could argue we are also 5 plays away from being 6-3 or 5-4, but semantics can go back and forth all day. That's not what I am trying to do here. We were competitive in both the UF and LSU games. I know the offense was putrid. It was horrific. I am also one of the people all fall that said our TFr QB would cost us a game or two. Well that has come to fruition. After rewatching those games...I feel better than I did about where our program is at and where the season is at. Gus has improved in his play calling. He has done better with player utilization. He has tried to utilize the middle of the field. He has thrown to TEs. In fact, we have targeted TEs more this year than any other season in the past 10 years. He has done most of the things I personally wanted to see him do. Of course I can find things to complain about. I can find calls I didn't like or thought were bad, but any fan from any team from any sport can do that in any game. I do not think Gus Malzahn's play calling has lost us a game this year. I think our OL and our young QB are why we have any blemishes. I am overall happy with the state of the program, the recruiting, I think players are developing. We are about to put a lot of players in the league this draft. 

I think our Defense has turned out better than I expected. I mean we knew we were going to be nasty up front, and I had a hunch LB would not drop off due to athleticism at the position, but they have really became a strength. I think the secondary has played as well as we could ask for the most part. Yes we give up a lot of yards in the air, but in all fairness....teams do not have much success on the ground against us and many of those yards came in garbage time with backups. The defense has exceeded all my and many other's expectations. This is a Championship level Defense. No doubt about it. I think 10 years ago...we go unbeaten with this team alone. Offenses have definitely changed this past decade.(except ours lol)

Our Offense has looked good against bad teams and bad against good teams. Even in the two losses though, I thought Gus dialed up some good plays that if executed....are game changers. The good news is...We wont be worrying about a true frosh QB for a while. Gus also seems to have realized you can't sign 3 OL and a huge green DE/DT to convert every class. I think he has also improved in recruiting QBs the past couple of years. I think he has done well recruiting OL this class. We had an immediate need and he seems to have addressed it with some big JUCO immediate impact guys with a couple years to play and some good young HS kids that can develop. Honestly...I like where the program is and where we are headed. I honestly think we will have a better record in 2020 than 2019. Regardless of the last 3 games win or lose. I think we are going to be OK next year D will have some drop off on the line but still top 5 SEC Def as a whole. We have all our weapons back on Offense, and I think OL will be better than this years group by mid season ....addition by subtraction kind of thing. 

Regardless how we all feel about CGM, let's get behind our program and our team...and let's kick the dogcrap out of thUGA and Bama and finish this thing strong. Be ready....Chaos is coming. WAR DAMN EAGLE

You are entitled to your opinion and I will always root for my tigers but I completely disagree with most of your premise. I don’t think the defense will be nearly as great next year. I worry about the offensive line and immediate JUCO guys shouldn’t be the answer. In a run first program, you need to get elite players on that line. With that being said the offensive line hasn’t played nearly as bad as people making it seem this year. Also, I don’t know how you can be indifferent to the last two to three games or so. I mean if you fee this way of course you are going to be fine with the program , but at least for me, this is what separates a good coach from a great coach. I think most top 25 if not all of them can win games against Miss state, Ole Miss, Arkansas , etc with Auburn’s talent. That is not what defines the coach to me.

Yes, I think every single coach mentioned on this thread can win 8 games a season with Auburn’s talent. However, what can they do against LSU, UGA, Bama. That is going to be the key when it comes to Auburn. That is why I find it laughable when people say “oh man, be careful, you don’t want to end up like Tennessee , Arkansas , etc.” We have had downright bad coaches come in here and win a NC , because believe it o not, Auburn university is a hotbed place with talent. So, 2020 will we have a quality record? Yes, the schedule is far more softer than this years. Realistically there is no reason we shouldn’t be 9-1 going into LSU next year. The problem is you still have to face LSU, UGA and Alabama. Those three are still going to get better too. It will go a long way to beat UGA this weekend, who seems very vulnerable. Also don’t kid yourself, if you think UGA has been word beaters in Gus’s tenure, they have not been. 2017 and 2018 yes. The rest of the year’s they have been beatable including this year. We will see. 

2 hours ago, DAG said:

You are entitled to your opinion and I will always root for my tigers but I completely disagree with most of your premise. I don’t think the defense will be nearly as great next year. I never said our DEF would be "as great next year " but we still have plenty of horses in the stable to have a very talented Defense next year....top 5 SEC. Tell me who besides UGA,BAMA, LSU, and UF will be as talented on D? Plus coach KS gets benefit of the doubt. I worry about the offensive line and immediate JUCO guys shouldn’t be the answer. In a run first program, you need to get elite players on that line. With that being said the offensive line hasn’t played nearly as bad as people making it seem this year.I agree the OFF line has been better especially in pass pro this season. Run blocking we still can't get a decent push .I do not disagree about recruiting elite OFF Linemen. I am stating that we failed to do so miserably for 6 years and now we are in a situation where we are paying for it. It does seem like he is  addressing the need. When you have a situation like ours...JUCO is exactly what you need unless you sign 3-4 ELITE OL which we missed on most targets. We do not disagree here. Again, I am not stating  this is where we should be...I am stating I am happy that Gus isn't signing 3 OL this class and hoping for the best. 

Also, I don’t know how you can be indifferent to the last two to three games or so. did you respond to correct post, bud? I am not indifferent to the last 3 games. I was stating that regardless of the outcome of the last 3 games I think next year we have more wins. To further add to the point...EVEN IF we were to win the last 3 games which I am hoping for.....I think we win more games next season. I may change my mind between now and then, but right now it is how I feel. Has nothing to do with being indifferent. I mean if you fee this way of course you are going to be fine with the program , but at least for me, this is what separates a good coach from a great coach. I think most top 25 if not all of them can win games against Miss state, Ole Miss, Arkansas , etc with Auburn’s talent. That is not what defines the coach to me. Me either....notice first paragraph of my OP "I swore off Gus forever" I am done. I want him gone. I am just not going to let him ruin football for me though. I will still acknowledge what I think he is doing right and what I think he is doing wrong. I have been so wrapped up in wanting him fired that I haven't looked at the state of the program without my Gus Hater shades on. 

Yes, I think every single coach mentioned on this thread can win 8 games a season with Auburn’s talent. However, what can they do against LSU, UGA, Bama. That is going to be the key when it comes to Auburn. That is why I find it laughable when people say “oh man, be careful, you don’t want to end up like Tennessee , Arkansas , etc.” We have had downright bad coaches come in here and win a NC , because believe it o not, Auburn university is a hotbed place with talent. Yes I  myself would never make the argument about arky or  UT. I  agree bad coaches should be able to win 8 games a year on talent alone. So I don't know what you are arguing. So, 2020 will we have a quality record? Yes, the schedule is far more softer than this years.  Realistically there is no reason we shouldn’t be 9-1 going into LSU next year. The problem is you still have to face LSU, UGA and Alabama. Those three are still going to get better too. It will go a long way to beat UGA this weekend, who seems very vulnerable. Also don’t kid yourself, In order for you to tell me not to kid myself, you would need to quote me on something from my post that implies I am out of my element or have said something with no factual basis or at least something relevant to the post-mentioned point.>>>  if you think UGA has been word beaters in Gus’s tenure, they have not been. 2017 and 2018 yes. Never said they had. I think it's a crying shame we lost to them so many times before they were the UGA they are now.  The rest of the year’s they have been beatable including this year. Said it since week 3 they are not unbeatable for us or anybody.We will see. That is the one accurate thing you said lol. I'm kidding, but DAG gum man...took nearly everything I said out of context. 

DAG ...I don't think we disagree as much as you presume. You put a lot of words in my mouth and I think you completely missed the premise of my post. I want Gus gone. Regardless. I made this known in the first paragraph of my OP. I just wanted to try and put ome perspective on where our program is at the current moment (regardless of the coach) . I think it's in a good spot to take the next step. I never said I think Gus is the guy to do it. Good lord ...I see why everybody is always bickering about Coach. You can't even say good things in the same sentence as "I want him gone" without the Haters taking it wrong. It's like saying...I liked the employee at Chik Fillet .......She was very friendly and courteous. She did a great job of apologizing for our wait. She is going to lose her job though after butchering my order every single time. 

I am in rant mode at this point so I will end with this.....I am never indifferent to Auburn losing. I always root for AU and always will regardless how I or you or anybody else feels about the coach. My OP wasn't about the coach. It was about the program. Good night. Good day...War Damn Eagle.

20 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I'm not aware of any such group.

There is a growing group, though, who want Gus gone because they want Auburn to be successful. Very surprising and a little disheartening that this still has to be explained. 

I think I understand what you are saying and I want to be sure you understand what I am saying. What if something clicked in Gus's brain today and he realized how to run a very successful offense with the personnel we currently have. What if today Gus became the coach we Auburn fans have always wanted. What if we outperform UGA and Samford and UAT and dominate in a bowl game.

Would you rather have Gus as the coach next year or Mario Cristobal (or whoever is your 1st choice)? All I am really trying to say is that, during the season, my hope is for Gus to become a better head coach and for all of the players to become better players. I enjoy the short season we have better thinking this way instead of focusing on who we can replace people with.

6 minutes ago, Grumps said:

I think I understand what you are saying and I want to be sure you understand what I am saying. What if something clicked in Gus's brain today and he realized how to run a very successful offense with the personnel we currently have. What if today Gus became the coach we Auburn fans have always wanted. What if we outperform UGA and Samford and UAT and dominate in a bowl game.

Would you rather have Gus as the coach next year or Mario Cristobal (or whoever is your 1st choice)? All I am really trying to say is that, during the season, my hope is for Gus to become a better head coach and for all of the players to become better players. I enjoy the short season we have better thinking this way instead of focusing on who we can replace people with.

I agree with wanting Auburn to win and Gus to succeed I would love for the lightbulb to click in Gus' head and he go on a never ending tear of dominance that we deserve. I just have zero faith in it happening. I do, however , agree that while he is here he is the coach. I will acknowledge what he does right complain about what he does wrong even If I am ready for his tenure to be over. If he won out this year and did everything you said I would not have different feelings next year. It would take an entire season after the rest of this season of Gus proving he has adapted and then I still do not know if I would have trust in him. 

23 minutes ago, Grumps said:

What if I win the lottery tomorrow? Enjoy the season however you want. You're entitled to your opinion. We all are. And a lot (most) us used to think just like you, but after almost seven years of one thing, we've quit waiting for a different thing to happen. 

1 hour ago, Grumps said:

I think I understand what you are saying and I want to be sure you understand what I am saying. What if something clicked in Gus's brain today and he realized how to run a very successful offense with the personnel we currently have. What if today Gus became the coach we Auburn fans have always wanted. What if we outperform UGA (see 2017) and Samford and UAT (see 2017) and dominate in a bowl game(see 2018)

Gus has had these moments before but follows them up with games that make you shake your head at what could have been. No one expects him to go undefeated each year. The light bulb may come on from time to time but it's not staying on. It's like a short on the circuitry. The 8-4 projections from many of us are a Pavlovian response. We've been conditioned. Then when we see that a there was a real chance to beat a major rival that is where the frustration builds more. Gus will always have those great flashes. It's who he is. But he won't sustain. 

IMO, Gus = Richt but in the tougher division.

Neither are necessarily bad coaches and it seems both have laid the foundation for their respective programs to take the next step. 

There have been many great CEOs that have built strong companies but when it's time to take it to the next level and go public, the boards usually bring in a new CEO with a different skill set or focus

34 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Gus has had these moments before but follows them up with games that make you shake your head at what could have been. No one expects him to go undefeated each year. The light bulb may come on from time to time but it's not staying on. It's like a short on the circuitry. The 8-4 projections from many of us are a Pavlovian response. We've been conditioned. Then when we see that a there was a real chance to beat a major rival that is where the frustration builds more. Gus will always have those great flashes. It's who he is. But he won't sustain. 

couldn't have said it any better

28 minutes ago, bigbird said:

IMO, Gus = Richt but in the tougher division.

Neither are necessarily bad coaches and it seems both have laid the foundation for their respective programs to take the next step. 

There have been many great CEOs that have built strong companies but when it's time to take it to the next level and go public, the boards usually bring in a new CEO with a different skill set or focus

That's the way I feel as well. As referenced in my earlier post...I think the program is at a good place, but in order to get to the end game we need a change.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

What if I win the lottery tomorrow? Enjoy the season however you want. You're entitled to your opinion. We all are. And a lot (most) us used to think just like you, but after almost seven years of one thing, we've quit waiting for a different thing to happen. 

And just ratcheted up the vitriol. 

Really, if you can't enjoy the season, then nobody should.

I'll get this out of the way first. I loathe Gus' style of offense. I didn't even like it for most of the 2013 season. It's amateurish looking, boring and relied too much on a substitution advantage that no longer exists. 

With that said, he's made some adjustments he needed to. When he arrived, defense was completely an afterthought with him and he has staffed and recruited that side of the ball well. Offensively, we're just bad and I don't see it getting better. This was arguably the best across-the-board collection of talent he has had as head coach at Auburn. Our biggest games have yet to be played, but even with a true freshman at QB I think we have underachieved. We'll see how the rest of the season plays out. Regardless, it's hard for me seeing him going anywhere after this season. 

But does anyone think within the next five years Gus and his program as-is is capable of winning an SEC title or even gain a playoff birth? The last few years a lot of the west has been on the decline. LSU is just now getting their feet solidly back under them. Saban still has a few years in him. Florida is stronger. Georgia is strong. UT can't stay down forever. A&M has to improve the way they've recruited. Arkansas can't stay this bad. Things will become tougher and I haven't seen Gus' ability to adjust what he supposedly does best. The 8 wins could quickly turn into 6 and 7. This is a program built to stagnate. Some people are content with that, but there's too much money being tossed into football now for that to be a realistic attitude. 

5 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

DAG ...I don't think we disagree as much as you presume. You put a lot of words in my mouth and I think you completely missed the premise of my post. I want Gus gone. Regardless. I made this known in the first paragraph of my OP. I just wanted to try and put ome perspective on where our program is at the current moment (regardless of the coach) . I think it's in a good spot to take the next step. I never said I think Gus is the guy to do it. Good lord ...I see why everybody is always bickering about Coach. You can't even say good things in the same sentence as "I want him gone" without the Haters taking it wrong. It's like saying...I liked the employee at Chik Fillet .......She was very friendly and courteous. She did a great job of apologizing for our wait. She is going to lose her job though after butchering my order every single time. 

I am in rant mode at this point so I will end with this.....I am never indifferent to Auburn losing. I always root for AU and always will regardless how I or you or anybody else feels about the coach. My OP wasn't about the coach. It was about the program. Good night. Good day...War Damn Eagl

9 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Honestly...I like where the program is and where we are headed

You can leave if you want  but I will rebuttal for “the haters.”

You say you don’t think Gus is the man but in the same light you say you like where the program is going ? How does that work? I really don’t even want to respond to the myriads of your other content because this is the premise that I was talking about.  

You also mentioned in your original post how we are filling the offensive line with JUCO players..Why? His offense is predicated on being able to run the ball. Why the hell are we in this position going into year 8?

You are stuck on the indifferent thing so let me clarify. You said regardless of the outcome in the next 3 games I think we would be better next year. Cool. Did you read the rest of my post? Yes we might look better next year because the schedule is soft as charming, but that doesn’t mean we will beat UGA, LSU, or Bama, which is what I judge him on. So if he wins 8 games this year and wins 9 games next year but still loses to LSU, UGA, Bama does it mean the team got better? Not really . All it means is instead of playing UF, he is now playing UK. That is where the indifference comes from to me.

Chik-Fil-A comment doesn’t even make sense . You recognize this employee will lose their job since they keep Messi , yet you and I quote said I LIKE THE WAY THE PROGRAM CURRENTLY IS AND HEADING. HOW? If you don’t think Gus is the right man for the job. 

You already said you don’t think Gus play calling has lost us a game this year, correct ? Questionable 

You referenced him having to play a true freshman? You know this spring he had 3 viable options to start. One transferred before the season. He had another viable option as well that HE CHOSE not to utilize.  

I thought we would be somewhere between 6-6 and 10-2. Looks like we may be right in the middle at 8-4. 
I think the frustration is that against any team with a pulse, 1/2 of our team plays at a championship level and the other half has really struggled for the good part of 4 years. Our coach was hired because he knows how to score points yet we cant score. 
I can’t wait for the game this weekend. It should be a real eye opener. 

3 hours ago, Grumps said:

What if today Gus became the coach we Auburn fans have always wanted.

Belief in the above statement is why he's been here 7 years. You're right though; at some point the light does have to come on, for the admin to realize we need a different football coach to have a chance to get better and actualize our potential.

11 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I thought we would be somewhere between 6-6 and 10-2. Looks like we may be right in the middle at 8-4. 
I think the frustration is that against any team with a pulse, 1/2 of our team plays at a championship level and the other half has really struggled for the good part of 4 years. Our coach was hired because he knows how to score points yet we cant score. 
I can’t wait for the game this weekend. It should be a real eye opener. 

Thank you. That is what annoys me the most . Why are we still struggling on offense? How long are we going to wait for him to figure it out? For me it is just damn unfair to the players...they fight so hard but it seems with one hand behind their back. As you have said this game this weekend will tell me a lot . If he can’t find a way to beat KS he will be 1-4 against him as a coach, he is already 0-3 against Coach O, and we know his record against Saban. That’s just woefully bad. 

2 hours ago, aucom96 said:

This is a program built to stagnate.

This is key right here. How anyone can be okay with the program right now speaks volumes IMO. This feels like clear stagnation at this point. Are we really progressing ? 

Archived