letting a magical season slip away

aubiefifty

Bielema was masked by Coach Alvarez. It was his system , it was his guidance and vision that helped him out the most. As long as his presence is at Wisconsin , we will be straight.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's weird as I should like Belima.  My cousin started four years at center for him at Wisconsin and was drafted by the Falcons.  In reality I really did not like the guy.  I wish Morris would stay at Arkansas and their fans would relax.  Belima really messed things up there so it will need time.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Thanks for the latter point....been wondering where that "magical season" stuff came from when from the get-go the argument has been whether we could win 9 games against the schedule we have this year.   Don't recall anyone thinking we would even win the SEC west, much less get in the playoffs so season has more or less progressed as the pundits expected considering the schedule....though I guess it could be " magical" with a win over Georgia and or bama. .

JMO here 64, but the magical season started in earnest after the Texas A&M game and continued until the UofF game.  Ahh, the possibilities as Gus has turned the corner because he has the total responsibility for the offense.  The imagination was going wild in a positive way.

After the LSU game, Auburn is now in the familiar role of spoiler to either UGA or Bama depending on what happens this weekend.  So, as you say, that *magical season* stuff was just pie in the sky and why would anybody be excited about this type of thing?  If Auburn is a .631 type of team and we would have a great season if we won 9 games, why even play the games?  Why are we fans if the best we can be is a .631 team?  The answer is: Hope.  When you lose hope, you are lost.

We still have hope to beat UGA and if we don’t, we hope we beat Bama.  It is all we have left.  After 7 years of hoping Gus will beat his rivals and be better than an 8 win coach I have lost hope in Gus, but not Auburn.  I hope Auburn can do better.

34 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

It's weird as I should like Belima.  My cousin started four years at center for him at Wisconsin and was drafted by the Falcons.  In reality I really did not like the guy.  I wish Morris would stay at Arkansas and their fans would relax.  Belima really messed things up there so it will need time.

Nah Morris hasn’t won an SEC game, yet. He also has losses to the likes of North Texas, Colorado state, San Jose State. He also is recruiting is going backwards. They don’t have a single offensive lineman commit this year. I completely understand why their fans consider that unacceptable. You can’t blame Coach BB for losing OOC games like this or bad recruiting. Not to mention in game issues and the QB carousel. If he loses to western Kentucky this weekend, he might get ran out of the state. 

@gohogs14 thoughts?

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

Nah Morris hasn’t won an SEC game, yet. He also has losses to the likes of North Texas, Colorado state, San Jose State. He also is recruiting is going backwards. They don’t have a single offensive lineman commit this year. I completely understand why their fans consider that unacceptable. You can’t blame Coach BB for losing OOC games like this or bad recruiting. Not to mention in game issues and the QB carousel. If he loses to western Kentucky this weekend, he might get ran out of the state. 

@gohogs14 thoughts?

Agreed. Morris didn't come into a great situation and we may be in the same spot had Bielema stayed but we definitely aren't getting any better. Central Arkansas beat Western Kentucky so that's another layer to the whole thing if we lose to them lol.

We had a 4* OL Ty Crawford committed who is one of the best OL in Texas but we lost him because we didn't show any improvement over last year. We may still get Mobile's Brady Ward and 4* Garrett Hayes for OL but otherwise we're going to have to load up on JUCOs to salvage the class at this point.

3 minutes ago, gohogs14 said:

Agreed. Morris didn't come into a great situation and we may be in the same spot had Bielema stayed but we definitely aren't getting any better. Central Arkansas beat Western Kentucky so that's another layer to the whole thing if we lose to them lol.

We had a 4* OL Ty Crawford committed who is one of the best OL in Texas but we lost him because we didn't show any improvement over last year. We may still get Mobile's Brady Ward and 4* Garrett Hayes for OL but otherwise we're going to have to load up on JUCOs to salvage the class at this point.

Doesn’t western Kentucky have a QB originally from Arkansas? 

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

Doesn’t western Kentucky have a QB originally from Arkansas? 

Yeah Ty Storey. He was our starting QB last year but Morris encouraged him to transfer so he could bring in Starkel and Hicks. He's actually having a solid season although they haven't really played anyone.

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

Thanks for the latter point....been wondering where that "magical season" stuff came from when from the get-go the argument has been whether we could win 9 games against the schedule we have this year.   Don't recall anyone thinking we would even win the SEC west, much less get in the playoffs so season has more or less progressed as the pundits expected considering the schedule....though I guess it could be " magical" with a win over Georgia and or bama. .

This is not just about this year...this about the past years, that seem to resemble this year. You know there were years where we had veteran QBs to and were picked higher than we finished (Stidham, Marshall), and in those years we still were mediocre in the SEC. 

We, just want consistency in offense and defense, in order to play for the SECC and playoffs, and not ONLY wait for that 'Magical Season'....

4 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I would also add that prior to Saban I believe Auburn was something in the realm of 15-11 against the turds since Dye took over. Auburn can compete 50/50 with those teams. I’m amazed that folks like mikey just concede to our biggest rivals and believe their own school cannot hang with the big boys. 

Yeah, here's MY idea of Auburn as little brother...

source.gif

giphy.gif

ezgif.com-optimize-7.gif

3 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Yeah, here's MY idea of Auburn assource.gif little brother...

giphy.gif

ezgif.com-optimize-7.gif

The middle kid is awesome. Not only the slap but the dismissive look afterward. Love it. 

On 11/5/2019 at 8:39 PM, AUDynasty said:

I know you are asking this question to another poster, but I thought I'd chime in.

I agree with your sentiments.

I think Gus realizes that his job is essentially on the line here. He tried taking a role as a CEO, laying his hands off Chip Lindsey's playbook (or not, depending on what you think) and the success was there with 2017's 10-win campaign, but not consistent. Now Lindsey is gone. Dillingham is probably thanking his lucky stars that he has a job in the SEC, albeit in an extremely limited capacity. Gus is betting on himself again, and that's how he came to the NCAA; it was his playcalls and offensive gameplans that got him this far, and he's not interested in delegating this responsibility on others. He got here because of his full involvement in his offense, and he's going to exit the same way as a true playcaller. There's really no other reason I can think of, especially with his assembly of offensive coaches that do not exactly impress you with their resumes.

I think it is pure arrogance on Gus part that thinks his offense can work at this level.  But he hedges his bets with his hires.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Bus logic: "So being ranked 11th means we're doing too well this season." It's never about what we could be for them. 

Mikey probably argued against seat belts in cars. Historically, we never needed them. Folks need to quit whining and go on flying through windshields like God intended. 

Wow, it's uncanny.  I actually thought you were him for a second!!

giphy (1).gif

I am not sure how anyone can look at our offense and not want better. We have the skill players to have a very powerful offense but we haven't signed those guys up front, in the trenches to make it happen. That is directly on CGM and no one else. The thing is, this is nothing new, we have been dealing with this hot garbage on offense for years now. You have to be willing to take a chance on someone new, if not then you are settling for what CGM has been peddling his entire tenure here.. mediocrity.  People talk about becoming Tennessee.. I for one, applaud Tennessee for trying to at least get better.. it hasn't worked out for them but at least they are trying and  not settling. 

Has anyone flat out asked Mickey Mouse...I mean Mikey just exactly how long you wait with a coach to make a move?  I mean, 7 years is a good long time in today’s college football world.  Lets play what ifs here and say what if Gus loses both games coming up that matter and finishes another season 8-4...then that would be 6 out of 7 seasons with 4 losses.  It would be a string of games where the offense looked like utter crap in big games.  It would make him 2-5 against all 3 in 7 years.  When exactly do you decide its time to try something new?  Do you wait for 10 years?  11?  At what point do the Gus is my Valentine’s Day date crowd say enough is enough?  Are they happy with 8-4 in perpetuity?  As long as he doesn’t have the 3-9 type year he is safe?  I would just like to know what else it will take?  We are seeing a lot of the same issues on offense we’ve seen since 2015...what makes you think the light bulb is magically gonna come on with another 2 or 3 years? 

1 minute ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Has anyone flat out asked Mickey Mouse...I mean Mikey just exactly how long you wait with a coach to make a move?  I mean, 7 years is a good long time in today’s college football world.  Lets play what ifs here and say what if Gus loses both games coming up that matter and finishes another season 8-4...then that would be 6 out of 7 seasons with 4 losses.  It would be a string of games where the offense looked like utter crap in big games.  It would make him 2-5 against all 3 in 7 years.  When exactly do you decide its time to try something new?  Do you wait for 10 years?  11?  At what point do the Gus is my Valentine’s Day date crowd say enough is enough?  Are they happy with 8-4 in perpetuity?  As long as he doesn’t have the 3-9 type year he is safe?  I would just like to know what else it will take?  We are seeing a lot of the same issues on offense we’ve seen since 2015...what makes you think the light bulb is magically gonna come on with another 2 or 3 years? 

Mikey doesn’t want to make a move.  That’s the point.  If and when Auburn moves on from Gus, I doubt seriously Mikey will be on the search committee.

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Mikey doesn’t want to make a move.  That’s the point.  If and when Auburn moves on from Gus, I doubt seriously Mikey will be on the search committee.

Yeah I know mikey doesn’t want to make a move but at what point does he change his mind?  I feel like even a 3-9 season that guy would find a justification for...

BTW I see your from Mooresville.  My wife has family up there. Spent a lot of time in that area and its really beautiful. We spent a 4th of July on the lake one year. Awesome time.

21 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Yeah I know mikey doesn’t want to make a move but at what point does he change his mind?  I feel like even a 3-9 season that guy would find a justification for...

BTW I see your from Mooresville.  My wife has family up there. Spent a lot of time in that area and its really beautiful. We spent a 4th of July on the lake one year. Awesome time.

There are a lot of posters (not saying Mikey is one of them) that do not want to take a stand on replacing a coach, as if they have any say in the matter, but continue to be *loyal* to Auburn. It’s more than obvious to some he has peaked at 8-4.  I think even with Chiz there were fans that wanted to give him one more year.

Yeah, I’ve been in Mooresville for almost 25 years.  Job got me here and we have liked the area so not moving anytime soon.

13 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

You also read 10-11 since we started playing them every year from 1992-2012.  But you can feel free to ignore that part if it hurts your narrative.

Why would anyone limit the numbers to when we started playing them every year? Oh wait! Limit the numbers because considering the entire history hurts your narrative. You may proceed.

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Why would anyone limit the numbers to when we started playing them every year? Oh wait! Limit the numbers because considering the entire history hurts your narrative. You may proceed.

Vanderbilt and Tulane.  That's where your argument breaks down.

We're 21-21-1 all time vs the Commodores.  We have an all time losing record to Tulane.  Should we expect to split games with them now or can you grasp that things change?  Should it have been considered an upset that we beat Tulane earlier this season based on history?

We're talking about the modern era of football, with scholarship limits, money, tv exposure, etc.  We're talking about the fact that AU has played LSU more times in the last 28 years than it had in the previous 100.  That's why you break things down.

If you're at all a baseball guy, you understand that people talk about eras.  The dead ball era of 100 years ago can't be compared adequately to today's game.  Same concept applies here.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Should we expect to split games with them now or can you grasp that things change?

Things do change. Apparently the point of a discussion changes at the whim of the next poster.

26 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

We're 21-21-1 all time vs the Commodores.  We have an all time losing record to Tulane.  Should we expect to split games with them now or can you grasp that things change?  Should it have been considered an upset that we beat Tulane earlier this season based on history?

We're talking about the modern era of football, with scholarship limits, money, tv exposure, etc.  We're talking about the fact that AU has played LSU more times in the last 28 years than it had in the previous 100.  That's why you break things down.

If you're at all a baseball guy, you understand that people talk about eras.  The dead ball era of 100 years ago can't be compared adequately to today's game.  Same concept applies here.

One would think. Then again, you can't be obstinate using those type of facts

40 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Things do change. Apparently the point of a discussion changes at the whim of the next poster.

Says the king of the moving goalpost.

By all means, illuminate us on how the pre-Dye years should inform our expectations of Auburn football in 2019. 

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

wow you absolutely obliterated his argument with facts...nicely done.

On 11/7/2019 at 12:09 AM, Mikey said:

What team is 50-50 vs bammer over the last ten years? Very few teams are 50-50 vs LSU and UGA. Auburn is not 50-50 against those teams throughout history. Now it's demand that which has not been done before or fire the coach? I want AU to beat those teams too but I don't think beating the bushes for some up and comer is the right thing to do.

AU is ranked #11 this week. There are 10 teams ranked above us and over 100 ranked lower. It's much, much worse at a lot of places.

You say you want to beat those teams too...do you actually know what it takes to beat them?  I'm no football genius but I do know that if you keep doing the same thing over and over you never will get better.  Stubbornness is no way to go through life, especially as a football coach.  If you're not changing, you're getting left behind.  Want an example of someone who gets it?  Even Saban's team does not look the same as it did when he got there in 2007...he was willing to change with the game.

Archived