Keeping Allen Greene

aubiefifty

it was announced during fl ga game but it was so quick i missed the new guys name. but looks like we keep Mr Greene.

I don't think we were in jeopardy of losing him. Swore I saw somewhere he had not been in contact with anyone from USC. That could be BS, but it could also be some diverting BS from the bammer media considering the turmoil this past week.

folks said he was on the list............other than that i have no idea. i think it was mentioned on the sec channel.

16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Time for him to step up and lead the BOT through a coaching transition

How likely is that to happen after what we saw tonight?

17 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Time for him to step up and lead the BOT through a coaching transition

Tonight.

6 hours ago, leglessdan said:

I don't think we were in jeopardy of losing him. Swore I saw somewhere he had not been in contact with anyone from USC. That could be BS, but it could also be some diverting BS from the bammer media considering the turmoil this past week.

We were very much in jeopardy of losing him. USC officials thought they had him and were on the brink of announcing it and then something happened and next thing you know the Cincy AD had been hired as USC next AD. But reading the USC 247 board their reporters and mods all thought Greene was their next AD.

1 minute ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I wish. But will likely take us losing to UGA and Bama badly to get him gone and even then, it’s iffy 

The only thing I’m upset about is the wasted talent this season and some recruits I really like not sticking if he’s gone. 

Just now, Zeek said:

The only thing I’m upset about is the wasted talent this season and some recruits I really like not sticking if he’s gone. 

Defensively I think we’d still be fine as far as recruiting. Offense might take a hit but we have enough young guys on that side to get us through next season imo 

4 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Defensively I think we’d still be fine as far as recruiting. Offense might take a hit but we have enough young guys on that side to get us through next season imo 

Why do you think that? Normally it's not just the head coach leaving, it's the entire staff, on both sides of the ball, so why one side would take a hit but not the other doesn't make much sense to me.

Just now, Auctoritas said:

Why do you think that? Normally it's not just the head coach leaving, it's the entire staff, on both sides of the ball, so why one side would take a hit but not the other doesn't make much sense to me.

Because KS is one of the best defensive coordinators in the country. The players like him and I don’t think Gus leaving would change their mind a bit but I could be wrong 

28 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

How likely is that to happen after what we saw tonight?

Probably not gonna happen because of this game, considering the 500 yards of offense plus an SEC win. Hopefully the AD and the BOT aren't so...volatile...in their decision-making processes. Fans can be different, but, speaking frankly, they had better approach this as not-fans of Auburn. (speaking even more frankly, if they ARE that volatile in their decision-making, I don't trust them to pick the next coach. That's a decision that had better be deliberate and considered, or we will end up where we are right now. Or worse...that's how you end up as Tennessee.)

Now, getting blown out by UGA and Bama? maybe...but even then I doubt it, unless the players quit on him. I think he gets another year at 8-4 with a freshman QB and the toughest schedule in the country (not making a value judgement about whether that's right or wrong). If he wins one of the two? he's safe.

5 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Because KS is one of the best defensive coordinators in the country. The players like him and I don’t think Gus leaving would change their mind a bit but I could be wrong 

You do realize that if Gus leaves, Kevin Steele is leaving too, right? The new coach gets to pick his own coordinators. I would hope that KS would get consideration, but it's certainly not a given (in fact, it would be pretty unlikely).

41 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

Does AD Greene want to leave?

I wondered the same thing. If he's being overridden on some decisions he could be very frustrated and I guess that could be happening. The way he stood up for Bruce makes me think he can stand his own ground firmly but that was Leath and this is now. I like him hope he's not wanting to leave. 

2 hours ago, TigerOne said:

Does AD Greene want to leave?

Been rumored he would, one day, try to get back to the west coast since Seattle is home for him & his family.  He will not leave unless there is a golden opportunity that awaits him (like USC , Oregon, or Washington).

10 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

We were very much in jeopardy of losing him. USC officials thought they had him and were on the brink of announcing it and then something happened and next thing you know the Cincy AD had been hired as USC next AD. But reading the USC 247 board their reporters and mods all thought Greene was their next AD.

I really hope this means that ADAG was able to assure himself more control and less meddling.  I doubt it but I hope.

9 hours ago, Auctoritas said:

You do realize that if Gus leaves, Kevin Steele is leaving too, right? The new coach gets to pick his own coordinators. I would hope that KS would get consideration, but it's certainly not a given (in fact, it would be pretty unlikely).

The current AU defensive staff is almost certain to be better than any new head coach could hire or bring with him. If we hire an offensive minded head coach, keeping (if an option) the current D staff (or a majority of it) could be the first major coaching decision of his new career at AU. 

19 minutes ago, AUStew87 said:

The current AU defensive staff is almost certain to be better than any new head coach could hire or bring with him. If we hire an offensive minded head coach, keeping (if an option) the current D staff (or a majority of it) could be the first major coaching decision of his new career at AU. 

I think almost anyone we brought in would give Kevin Steele serious consideration.

3 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I think almost anyone we brought in would give Kevin Steele serious consideration.

If Steele doesn't retire

6 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I would hope so. But it's not automatic that he stays. Historically, it's just not the case, and there's also no telling that KS wants to stick through a coaching change even if it's offered.

KS is the best thing to happen to an Auburn defense inyears, but people are needing to be cleareyed that a coaching change likely means that KS is gone too. So be it if that's the case, but to not acknowledge that is not taking the situation seriously.

Edit: bird near me to it.

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

If Steele doesn't retire

That's certainly a possibility.  He should have his 10 years in now which was a big motivator for him taking the job in the first place.

He's only 61 though so he may not be ready to ride off into the sunset yet.

edit:  Looks like he's only 7 years in.  He needs 3 more to be vested.

Archived