How do you fix Nix?

aubiefifty

Time will tell about Bo.....and hope he does improve year by year...but I've watched Fromm and Bentley play 4 years and barely seem to be any better in year 4 .....which in Fromm's case only showed up when the dawgs RBs diminished in number and quality.     What are the odds that the next QB at UGa or LSU or Oklahoma is currently playing at U of Houston ….or somewhere in the Sun Belt, or PAC or who knows where....but probably is not on their squad at the moment?    There must have been 50 QBs in the transfer portal last season and would not be surprised to see that again ….and maybe grad transfers don't even have to do that.

JMO but the old theory of recruiting a couple top HS QBs and then having a competition and setting them up as 1 and 2 for a few years is mostly a thing of the past.      Like in AU's case, the #2 was not even willing to stick around and be sure he was #2 long term so as far as we are concerned Bo better develop into a top SEC quarterback...but I'd be looking at a juco or grad trans just in case...even with another good freshman committed.  .

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Time will tell about Bo.....and hope he does improve year by year...but I've watched Fromm and Bentley play 4 years and barely seem to be any better in year 4 .....which in Fromm's case only showed up when the dawgs RBs diminished in number and quality.     What are the odds that the next QB at UGa or LSU or Oklahoma is currently playing at U of Houston ….or somewhere in the Sun Belt, or PAC or who knows where....but probably is not on their squad at the moment?    There must have been 50 QBs in the transfer portal last season and would not be surprised to see that again ….and maybe grad transfers don't even have to do that.

JMO but the old theory of recruiting a couple top HS QBs and then having a competition and setting them up as 1 and 2 for a few years is mostly a thing of the past.      Like in AU's case, the #2 was not even willing to stick around and be sure he was #2 long term so as far as we are concerned Bo better develop into a top SEC quarterback...but I'd be looking at a juco or grad trans just in case...even with another good freshman committed.  .

I was watching the Georgia v Florida game yesterday and was thinking the same thing.

54 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Like in AU's case, the #2 was not even willing to stick around and be sure he was #2 long term so as far as we are concerned Bo better develop into a top SEC quarterback...but I'd be looking at a juco or grad trans just in case...even with another good freshman committed.  .

Auburn looked hard at grad transfers last year and no one bit. One went to Missouri and another to UM, I believe.  If Auburn looks at a grad transfer or portal QB this year, who will bite?  We have, what will be, a Sophomore QB that Gus has announced to the world he will be the future for Auburn.  What QB that wants to start will come here, especially a grad transfer?

The only reason, I would think, a QB enters the portal is to find a better situation.  The portal will work for teams that have proven to have success at that position.  It’s a crap shoot and perception is a big part of it.  Right now I don’t think Auburn has a good reputation for developing the QB position.

The recruit’s perception is reality and a HS recruit’s perception is easier to change than one that has already been through the process.

23 hours ago, AUBourne said:

I noticed there are plays where multiple WR go out but Nix only looks at one WR, and if he is covered he throws it away. I dont think Nix is not capable of checking down. I think the plays by design are hit the primary target or dump it. Everyone else is just eye candy. Kind of pathetic.

That’s what I was saying at a time before the Florida game, during one of those nothing home games. It’s like he’d have a guy streaking open but force it in double coverage, and while he could just be terrible at reading coverage, with how often he’s done this one read thing, I’d have to think it’s a coaching thing. It’s not like at their best, Nick Marshall or Stidham was really allowed to read the field 

8 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

The only reason, I would think, a QB enters the portal is to find a better situation.

True...and with Bo a soph next year, getting an outright transfer is unlikely though maybe a Juco which has worked well for us a few times.  :dunno:   But it would be nice to have someone other than Cord as the back-up with some college experience...JMO

50 minutes ago, AU64 said:

True...and with Bo a soph next year, getting an outright transfer is unlikely though maybe a Juco which has worked well for us a few times.  :dunno:   But it would be nice to have someone other than Cord as the back-up with some college experience...JMO

Read somewhere that Cord is focusing on the coaching side of things. I think it'd be very wise to bring on a transfer to back up. I mean yeah, I suppose it's possible a quality QB goes on the transfer market but I doubt it

On November 1, 2019 at 6:24 PM, Old fan 47 said:

Good points. The kid is the son of a QB and former OC at GA Tech. Yes, I do truly believe AU has hit a low hanging ceiling w Malzahn, but as far as things like overthrows on easy routes and overthrows when our receivers are 3 to 5 yards separated from the DBs, is not all on the coach. True he is young and was thrown into the fire, but had his completion percentage been just 50% versus the 40% it was against UF and LSU, we likely win both games. In my opinion, 50 is not expecting too much from a true freshman that was so highly recruited. I stand by my thoughts, in that I believe w Gatewood starting both of those games, we are sitting in 0 losses. Just my thoughts. 

Stidham did the same thing last year and beat us several games. Actually think Nix getting the reps this game will be a big plus.

13 minutes ago, Tigger1985 said:

Stidham did the same thing last year and beat us several games. Actually think Nix getting the reps this game will be a big plus.

When Nix was announced as starter most folks were enthusiastic about it and made comments bout Fromm. Tua, Jalen and Lawrence at Clemson as evidence that a freshman could do the job and even win a national championship.   And arguments raged on both sides....despite the fact that it's been rare for a freshman to even start at bigger schools, much less have such great seasons.  It should be noted that most of those freshmen had great teams behind them and mostly just had to manage the game and not make critical mistakes that could lose a game.  

It's pretty rare that a freshman was expected to carry his team and be good enough to overcome other offensive weaknesses like Bo has had to do. Likely, the more he plays, the better he will be.  JMO but he deserved a better fate in the OM game....not his fault that makeable FGs were missed, or drops or penalties or a key fumble took so many points off the scoreboard.    Playing at home the rest of the way, I look for him to be a much improved QB.   

The freshman who had such sucess haven't had a line that gave them little time to go through progressions. When Clemson got to Tua, he looked like a freshman. Lawrance has looked terrible this year.

53 minutes ago, Tigger1985 said:

The freshman who had such sucess haven't had a line that gave them little time to go through progressions. When Clemson got to Tua, he looked like a freshman. Lawrance has looked terrible this year.

The sophomore slump. I refuse to even consider it.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

When Nix was announced as starter most folks were enthusiastic about it and made comments bout Fromm. Tua, Jalen and Lawrence at Clemson as evidence that a freshman could do the job and even win a national championship.   And arguments raged on both sides....despite the fact that it's been rare for a freshman to even start at bigger schools, much less have such great seasons.  It should be noted that most of those freshmen had great teams behind them and mostly just had to manage the game and not make critical mistakes that could lose a game.  

It's pretty rare that a freshman was expected to carry his team and be good enough to overcome other offensive weaknesses like Bo has had to do. Likely, the more he plays, the better he will be.  JMO but he deserved a better fate in the OM game....not his fault that makeable FGs were missed, or drops or penalties or a key fumble took so many points off the scoreboard.    Playing at home the rest of the way, I look for him to be a much improved QB.   

Bo was expected to carry a team? Not by anybody with a serious football IQ.  I don't think ANYBODY expected him to do so though, Idk where that came from

Archived