How do you fix Nix?

aubiefifty

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

I've seen enough of all Gus' QBs to know that, while Bo is without question part of his own problem right now, Gus is the common denominator here when it comes to poor QB play spanning 9 years. 

He had some good plays where he's gone through is progressions and made key 3rd down conversions. Then he also has plays where he locks in on someone and throws a bad ball. The worrisome part is that the older the season gets the younger he seems to look as a QB. Some of it is definitely the level of competition. Some of it, IMO, is Gus. He hasn't had a single QB improve under 

Come on, he has a football with a rope on it, for training. Lol. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can tell you how coaches fixed things back in my day when you made the same mistakes over and over; you rode the pine to think about it for awhile. You were then given the opportunity to demonstrate you were capable. If you weren't, the next guy in line got his chance.

With Gus, this applies to everyone with the exception of Bo Nix, evidently.

3 minutes ago, api1957 said:

Maybe he should just read the book..

Image result for gus malzahn book

Take your pick but I think he meant #1. 

Screenshot_20191101-131919~2.png

4 minutes ago, api1957 said:

Maybe he should just read the book..

Image result for gus malzahn book

I love the part in yellow. Same graphic style from the commercials with "act now and you'll get more of the same junk for less". Wait a minute.......😮

1 minute ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I can tell you how coaches fixed things back in my day when you made the same mistakes over and over; you rode the pine to think about it for awhile. You were then given the opportunity to demonstrate you were capable. If you weren't, the next guy in line got his chance.

With Gus, this applies to everyone with the exception of Bo Nix, evidently.

I agree. How long do you think Gus would ride the pine? 😁

1 minute ago, SuperAUsome09 said:

I love the part in yellow. Same graphic style from the commercials with "act now and you'll get more of the same junk for less". Wait a minute.......😮

My favorite post today. Lol. 

5 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I know this isn't happening....but at this point, this would be what I would do on Offense. I would be done with the Wing T crap for the most part. I would put Bo in a position to maximize the usage of weapons around him. I would go 4 Wide with Seth, Anthony, Sal and the Hastings/Hill/Williams/Joiner. I would have DJ/Boobee (when healthy) and Worm coming in at RB. I would stop with the predetermined reads. I would run a full spread and let Bo be a gunslinger. I think a big part of Bo's issues are mental, not wanting to make a mistake. Pat let him sling it in High school. If he threw a pick he threw a pick. I think Gus is so paranoid of TO's that he only gives Bo one read if any. Bo needs an offense where he can be a gunslinger. I don't mean we have to abandon the run. we could still keep it 50/50 but have Sal/Wilson in and shift them in and out of the backfield for an extra blocker when needed. Have all your weapons on the field at the same time. Run Slants,drags, hitches, and outs and Deep crossing routes, digs, etc. I know alot of these routes are foreign to Gus but let Dilly show him what they are. I don't think Bo is ever going to be Joe Burrow accurate. I think he can be a 60%+ passer though and I think he could put up massive numbers with the weapons we have if we could only utilize them properly and have a decent passing scheme and concepts. 

That is exactly what we need, but it would take an entire off season to implement it. With Gus it might take 4, or 5. Hell, it takes him an entire spring, and fall camp to install the four plays we run now.

I know Bo being a legacy has probably dreamed of playing QB for Auburn since he was old enough to understand the game of football. I couldn't understand if he has aspirations of reaching the NFL, why he came to Auburn to play for Gus. The next QB Gus develops will be the first one. Nix looked the part in high school when I saw him play.

38 minutes ago, Notjeffco said:

I know Bo being a legacy has probably dreamed of playing QB for Auburn since he was old enough to understand the game of football. I couldn't understand if he has aspirations of reaching the NFL, why he came to Auburn to play for Gus. The next QB Gus develops will be the first one. Nix looked the part in high school when I saw him play.

Got into a fairly heated discussion with another member here last year that no 5 star QB who didn't grow up with AU memorabilia on his walls would even think twice about signing with Malzahn. It gets more, and more certain with each passing year.

3 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

You change the person calling plays. 

It's also the person who designs the offensive plays, especially the passing ones.

This offense (And you can plug in different years here from Gus' tenure) seems to have quarters and long periods where it can't get first downs. Have you noticed over the last 4-5 years how many 3 and outs we have had? 

I truly feel that while some of it is a frustrated FR QB who doesn't know how to fix it, since he hasn't gotten the experience yet to build off of, it mainly needs a OC or a HC who  can bring in an OC, that knows, in this college day and age, how to develop an offensive scheme that gives the Q the ability to make high percentage throws (that are just as good as a 4-5 yd run), and gives the QB the options of TEs, and WRs, who can find soft spots on the field that allows the offense to build confidence and successful put points on the board. 

Gus' offense is not the result of a FR QB, but his lack to know the passing game enough to make it work as, so many of us see on Saturdays watching other college games. That is NOT Gus' strength. 

7 hours ago, cole256 said:

To fix him first you have to admit there's a problem, many still pretend it's Gus holding him back, and maybe so with the set up of the game, but make no mistake about it, there are routes ran in the middle of the field that Bo's confidence is messed up because he won't throw them. Guys wide open. 

Two things that need to happen is he needs to get his confidence up and he needs to be disciplined and work on his fundamentals.....every single throw

Good points. The kid is the son of a QB and former OC at GA Tech. Yes, I do truly believe AU has hit a low hanging ceiling w Malzahn, but as far as things like overthrows on easy routes and overthrows when our receivers are 3 to 5 yards separated from the DBs, is not all on the coach. True he is young and was thrown into the fire, but had his completion percentage been just 50% versus the 40% it was against UF and LSU, we likely win both games. In my opinion, 50 is not expecting too much from a true freshman that was so highly recruited. I stand by my thoughts, in that I believe w Gatewood starting both of those games, we are sitting in 0 losses. Just my thoughts. 

I’m still surprised no one has said “You fix Nix by plugging in the Cord”. But I’m also a relatively new dad still working on my arsenal of dad jokes 😂

10 minutes ago, SuperAUsome09 said:

I’m still surprised no one has said “You fix Nix by plugging in the Cord”. But I’m also a relatively new dad still working on my arsenal of dad jokes 😂

For a rookie you’re do well! You make it to the next level when they start talking.

34 minutes ago, SuperAUsome09 said:

Two 10 yr old girls here.

Well done.  Good start.

You'll know you've arrived when you tell your jokes & start getting the....

tenor.gif

How to fix Nix? Sorry to say -- enter the transfer portal asap and give him an actual QB coach and non-clown offense to play in.

If he transfers to a team and coach with a modern system, he will be an NFL golden boy and make gazillions of dollars. If he remains with Gus ..... meh .....

Two things. His mechanics are off. His throwing motion appears to moving quicker than his lower body. Like a golfer too quick with down swing beginning it before his lower body has become completely the back swing. It is out of sync. And the play calling. Granted Nix has missed several what should have been easy completions. Yet the savant has not made it easy on him. I can't recall a single pass to a back flaring out of the backfield. Or your basic, let the pass rush in  and dump the ball over their heads, screen play. And nothing like seeing a low percentage, 25 yard fade route down the sideline on 2nd and 8. Leading to 3rd and 8.

21 hours ago, cole256 said:

With how bad his footwork tends to be I can't help but to think it can be fixed. But I've seen quite a few QB's improve their accuracy throwing the ball

I agree that his footwork has been bad.  But his footwork seemed to be OK during the A day game and during the 1st couple of games of the season.  I didn't really notice it until the Fla game.  I can't help but to think his bad footwork developed as a result of running for his life or at least thinking he has to run for his life all the time.  I can't help but to think that his play will settle down as soon as his OL can make him feel more comfortable in the pocket (and when will that be??? maybe 2 years from now???)

Other contributing factors to his poor completion percentage may be Gus pushing the concept of "throw the ball in such a way that if your receiver can't catch it than nobody can" resulting in a lot of over throws and/or he has to throw the ball away a lot to avoid a sack.

I know... I know.... Sounds like I'm making excuses for Bo.  I do think that Bo will eventually become good QB.  But once he started struggling, Bo should have seen his snap count drop and Joey should have been given a chance.

21 hours ago, WarTim said:

Bo will improve with experience. 

Under Gus?  Please cite evidence of this happening before.

2 hours ago, countoff said:

I agree that his footwork has been bad.  But his footwork seemed to be OK during the A day game and during the 1st couple of games of the season.  I didn't really notice it until the Fla game.  I can't help but to think his bad footwork developed as a result of running for his life or at least thinking he has to run for his life all the time.  I can't help but to think that his play will settle down as soon as his OL can make him feel more comfortable in the pocket (and when will that be??? maybe 2 years from now???)

Other contributing factors to his poor completion percentage may be Gus pushing the concept of "throw the ball in such a way that if your receiver can't catch it than nobody can" resulting in a lot of over throws and/or he has to throw the ball away a lot to avoid a sack.

I know... I know.... Sounds like I'm making excuses for Bo.  I do think that Bo will eventually become good QB.  But once he started struggling, Bo should have seen his snap count drop and Joey should have been given a chance.

When he actually does it he does it well, but no in the first games he was inconsistent as well. Oh and it's EXTREMELY hard to be a QB, it's much easier to talk about it than actually do it but that's all things. And he's compared to other qbs so if they do it he must as well. So yeah you are making excuses but of course that's natural but he's been protected since he's started, time to let him grow up if he's to be what people say.

I noticed there are plays where multiple WR go out but Nix only looks at one WR, and if he is covered he throws it away. I dont think Nix is not capable of checking down. I think the plays by design are hit the primary target or dump it. Everyone else is just eye candy. Kind of pathetic.

Archived