Inside Joey Gatewood’s decision

aubiefifty

Nobody said anything about keeping both. We just wanted a fair outlook. This shouldn’t be that hard to decipher. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish they were more abrasive, like I would've been. Shoutouts to their professionalism.

That quote sounds to me like Florida is VERY in play. He should be able to crush Emory, who is a good QB in his own right, if he can get the playbook quickly. SMU would be an interesting outlet although Im not sure how much I trust a Gus product to DEVELOP QBs.

I dont understand why people keep simplifying this to "Well we had to choose one guy, one guy got chose, the other one's gone. Good luck."

...Thats not how a competition between what was supposedly two equal QBs is supposed to be 

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I wish they were more abrasive, like I would've been. Shoutouts to their professionalism.

That quote sounds to me like Florida is VERY in play. He should be able to crush Emory, who is a good QB in his own right, if he can get the playbook quickly. SMU would be an interesting outlet although Im not sure how much I trust a Gus product to DEVELOP QBs.

SMU is averaging over 300 passing yards a game. You may not trust Rhett to develop a QB but I trust Sonny Dykes to. 

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Makes sense for a lot of reasons. Close to home for Joey.  Chance  to win the QB Gus ran off for  Mullen.   JG is  just a star waiting to shine

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

SMU is averaging over 300 passing yards a game. You may not trust Rhett to develop a QB but I trust Sonny Dykes to. 

Whose to say Rhett  hasn't been learning how  to?

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Nobody said anything about keeping both. We just wanted a fair outlook. This shouldn’t be that hard to decipher. 

Save your breath bro. Any rational person with basic common sense has seen what transpired.  If they want to simplify it down to that level, then they're probably not working with much upstairs to begin with. That's why it's so hard to talk football with the average person,  they just don't get it.

47 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Whose to say Rhett  hasn't been learning how  to?

Exactly. Once these dudes get away from Gus they " magically" have a affinity for the pass for the first time or again like in Chip Lindsey's case. Troy is averaging 308 passing yards a game this year. He is getting back to what he is always done which is throw the ball a lot. Just goes to show you who really was calling the plays in his tenure. Not that we did not already know that.

3 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

Makes sense for a lot of reasons. Close to home for Joey.  Chance  to win the QB Gus ran off for  Mullen.   JG is  just a star waiting to shine

Florida just makes too much sense. Enos and KB from Miami and FSU might be able to get into the discussion but both their systems have done nothing to prevent their horrible OLs from allowing their QBs to be desecrated. Mullen finds a way to keep the QB healthy best he can (Franks injury was something freakish) and I think his development skills are better than either of those two, although what Enos did with Arky QBs and Hurts cant be taken away 

2 hours ago, leglessdan said:

Save your breath bro. Any rational person with basic common sense has seen what transpired.  If they want to simplify it down to that level, then they're probably not working with much upstairs to begin with. That's why it's so hard to talk football with the average person,  they just don't get it.

Ya that it is it, no common sense. Or maybe it is like the Pate guy saying you don't know what happened and I don't know what happened.

I'm just not gonna cry about the decision that an 19 year old kid made and dwell on it sorry. Would I liked to of seen him run the offense full out in other games, yes. Would of like to of seen him given a shot at LSU for a full series, yes. Do a hope a full opportunity competition was given equally to both players during spring and fall camp was given, yes. I also know that when your over halfway through a season and you can't make a decision on a QB then it means you don't have one.

Please tell me what you have seen in regards to the athleticism, leadership, film work, reads, timing, execution etc etc on a daily basis in practice. Actually seen and not just heard about from this person or that or got a glimpse of in a play here or a play there. I'd love to hear about that with actual truths and knowledgeable people of the sport pointing out the differences. 

Cause if you can't do that then it is just simply opinion. One of the most popular opinions in football for decades is that the most popular person on the team is the back-up quarterback.

4 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I dont understand why people keep simplifying this to "Well we had to choose one guy, one guy got chose, the other one's gone. Good luck."

...Thats not how a competition between what was supposedly two equal QBs is supposed to be 

No, I totally get how competition works, participated in it in multiple sports include division 1 and Olympic development levels, but in this day and age of the business decision players are going to walk. Just look at the transfer portal listing from 2019 I posted.

33 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Ya that it is it, no common sense. Or maybe it is like the Pate guy saying you don't know what happened and I don't know what happened.

I'm just not gonna cry about the decision that an 19 year old kid made and dwell on it sorry. Would I liked to of seen him run the offense full out in other games, yes. Would of like to of seen him given a shot at LSU for a full series, yes. Do a hope a full opportunity competition was given equally to both players during spring and fall camp was given, yes. I also know that when your over halfway through a season and you can't make a decision on a QB then it means you don't have one.

Please tell me what you have seen in regards to the athleticism, leadership, film work, reads, timing, execution etc etc on a daily basis in practice. Actually seen and not just heard about from this person or that or got a glimpse of in a play here or a play there. I'd love to hear about that with actual truths and knowledgeable people of the sport pointing out the differences. 

Cause if you can't do that then it is just simply opinion. One of the most popular opinions in football for decades is that the most popular person on the team is the back-up quarterback.

You are saying a whole lot of nothing here. The fact of the matter is we didn’t have two QBs. Bo Nix has remained the starter since fall camp. This is not a Kelly Bryant / Trevor Lawrence issue or even a Tua/Jalen issue. JG was fine when he had certain packages for himself. Then the certain packages disappeared, even in the face of bad QB play. Bo Nix QB stats are AWFUL. And I like Bo Nix. I think he will be great one day, but right now, no rationale person can argue that he looks good as the starting QB.  The stats would agree with that. He has some of the worst stats of any SEC starter. That is not opinion based. Those are facts. The decision was made long ago by Gus who the starter is. I don’t know how we are even arguing that. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

You are saying a whole lot of nothing here. The fact of the matter is we didn’t have two QBs. Bo Nix has remained the starter since fall camp. This is not a Kelly Bryant / Trevor Lawrence issue or even a Tua/Jalen issue. JG was fine when he had certain packages for himself. Then the certain packages disappeared, even in the face of bad QB play. Bo Nix QB stats are AWFUL. And I like Bo Nix. I think he will be great one day, but right now, no rationale person can argue that he looks good as the starting QB.  The stats would agree with that. He has some of the worst stats of any SEC starter. That is not opinion based. Those are facts. The decision was made long ago by Gus who the starter is. I don’t know how we are even arguing that. 

I just want someone to actually tell me why though lol. Something different than Gus is an idiot or stupid, or hates this player etc. I'm not debating the stats. If I am gonna be told I have no common sense or can't be talked to then give me the information that proves JG should of been the starter. Or that there wasn't a completion. Back it up.

As I said I would of loved to of seen JG run a full series at LSU. Not just the special package. I was sitting there going give the kid a shot. I had no preference either way. I wanted whoever could win the games so I was never in on the Bo vs JG game.

6 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I just want someone to actually tell me why though lol. Something different than Gus is an idiot or stupid, or hates this player etc. I'm not debating the stats. If I am gonna be told I have no common sense or can't be talked to then give me the information that proves JG should of been the starter. Or that there wasn't a completion. Back it up.

As I said I would of loved to of seen JG run a full series at LSU. Not just the special package. I was sitting there going give the kid a shot. I had no preference either way. I wanted whoever could win the games so I was never in on the Bo vs JG game.

We can’t tell you any different because it is out of the realm of common sense of why would you keep a starter who has GOD AWFUL stats in as the starter. You are trying to rationalize something that is irrational. The only rationale for allowing a QB who has the worst stats of any starter in the SEC to remain the starter is that their no suitable back up. If that is the case, then the coach is the issue not the players. I am not going to say you don’t have any common sense, but if you don’t understand that concept then you are just choosing to not understand that. There is no argument for a two QB system when the head coach explicitly says “I never even thought about putting in the back up QB.” So that is not even a valid argument. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

We can’t tell you any different because it is out of the realm of common sense of why would you keep a starter who has GOD AWFUL stats in as the starter. You are trying to rationalize something that is irrational. The only rationale for allowing a QB who has the worst stats of any starter in the SEC to remain the starter is that their no suitable back up. If that is the case, then the coach is the issue not the players. I am not going to say you don’t have any common sense, but if you don’t understand that concept then you are just choosing to not understand that. There is no argument for a two QB system when the head coach explicitly says “I never even thought about putting in the back up QB.” So that is not even a valid argument. 

Honestly not trying to rationalize anything.

Lol all I said was one of them was going to be entering the portal at the end of the season. I just accept that was gonna happen, and I did see what transpired which is why I knew it would be Gatewood and the move at the LSU game just made that decision come faster than it would have is all.

As you said you can't tell me any different and that it doesn't make sense to you.... thank you. I'd probably even accept a she's into malakas Dino.

And I agree. Development is not there and that falls on the coaches, I've complained about that at different positions before . I understand that concept. I also understand that in this day and age of the business decision that the one that didn't get the start was going to be gone based off of the skill sets that they both are said to carry.

Lol and why do you still have Mike the Tiger, I'm the one that did post grad work at LSU.

To me, it's not that Joey is transferring. We all knew there was a good chance whomever was number 2 was going to leave. The way Joey was mismanaged and strung along is what gets me.

Just own it, Gus. "We've decided to go with Bo and you'll get snaps when I feel you give us the best option". Let him know where he stands and if he transfers, so be it. The whole we have a package crap and then conveniently never using that package or using an recently injured Boobee over Joey on plays perfect for Joey just strung him along. I would feel lied to.

Selfishly, I hate Joey transferring because I don't want to lose that kind of talent from our team. Realistically, it's best for Joey and I'm happy for him to chase his dreams. Sadly, I don't think it had to play out this way.

I think I'll never understand why some are so free to let the potential consistently subtract without recognizing the common denominator.  That just doesn't add up.  

7 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Florida just makes too much sense. Enos and KB from Miami and FSU might be able to get into the discussion but both their systems have done nothing to prevent their horrible OLs from allowing their QBs to be desecrated. Mullen finds a way to keep the QB healthy best he can (Franks injury was something freakish) and I think his development skills are better than either of those two, although what Enos did with Arky QBs and Hurts cant be taken away 

Mullin is the new Spurrier imo.  Gatewood wants to be bread into  a quality QB then Mullen is the guy to  do it.  Additionally if the rumors are  true  that Mullen does  not like Gus then what better way to take  a stab at Gus then turn Gatewood into a Phenom and win big with him.

1 hour ago, ToraGirl said:

I think I'll never understand why some are so free to let the potential consistently subtract without recognizing the common denominator.  That just doesn't add up.  

People are amazing Tora. Some people just refuse to see and when that happens you just got to wash your hands from it 

3 hours ago, DAG said:
5 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

People are amazing Tora. Some people just refuse to see and when that happens you just got to wash your hands from it 

Bottom line, there's so many people here, and in the real world, who take position A (which seems logical at the time) but when position B turns out to be the real truth they feel like it's some kind of weakness to admit the original position has fallen off a cliff.  However, the truth is, it shows great strength to see the things contrary to your original view happen before your eyes, even have honest stats to back it up, and alter your position.  Pride, I guess, keeps those from admitting a change of view.

Kudos to those who allow enlightenment to correct their views & opinions.  Just because what's happening isn't pleasant, doesn't make it untrue.  And just because you have enough football sense to understand it happening, doesn't make you less of a fan.

Matter of fact, you're in good company if you do understand and accept reality.  There's no need to take sides.  Reality is the same for everyone.  Perception is the only thing that's making us different.

24 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Pride, I guess, keeps those from admitting a change of view.

A man convinced against his will,
is of the same opinion still.

Don't know who said that, but it is truth.

On 10/31/2019 at 6:04 PM, aubiefifty said:

“Bo better be the guy that they think he is,” Thompson said. “I don’t mean that as a slight on Gus or a slight on Bo or anybody, but you’re letting a very good player walk away who was very committed to you.”

5 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

Mullin is the new Spurrier imo.  Gatewood wants to be bread into  a quality QB then Mullen is the guy to  do it.  Additionally if the rumors are  true  that Mullen does  not like Gus then what better way to take  a stab at Gus then turn Gatewood into a Phenom and win big with him.

Mullen has a good track record, but it’s interesting that it took him a year and half to realize Trask was better than Franks. 

41 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Mullen has a good track record, but it’s interesting that it took him a year and half to realize Trask was better than Franks. 

Yes this was confounding to me too. Someone said the Franks may have had the respect of his teammates, that Trask didn't have the chance to earn. If that was true, I guess Trask has it now.

4 hours ago, DAG said:

You are right. Not a huge favorite, but it fits. 

Archived