Gatewood officially enters transfer portal

aubiefifty

Auburn QB Joey Gatewood officially enters transfer portal

Posted Oct 30, 2019

1-2 minutes

Auburn Football

Joey Gatewood is now officially in the NCAA transfer portal.

Gatewood was entered into the database at 3:37 p.m. Wednesday, a few hours after Gus Malzahn confirmed the redshirt freshman quarterback is leaving the Auburn program.

“He’s just at a point now where he wants to be a starting quarterback and just feels like he needs to start looking for schools now so he can find the right spot, and I respect that,” Malzahn said. “He’s a fine young man and really appreciate everything Joey’s done for our program, and everybody in our program will be rooting for him moving forward.”

Gatewood appeared in seven games as the Tigers’ backup quarterback, rushing for 148 yards and three touchdowns and completing 5 of 7 passes for 54 yards and two scores.

With Gatewood leaving the team, Cord Sandberg — a 24-year old former minor league baseball player — will take over as Auburn’s No. 2 QB behind Bo Nix.

Matt Zenitz is an Alabama and Auburn reporter for the Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @mzenitz.

Well, it is what it is at this point.  Nothing to do but wish Joey the best and thank him for standing with Auburn for a long time.  He stood by his commitment while many kids in high school were committing and de-committing.  He never backed off that commitment until it was obvious he was likely going to be behind Bo for the rest of his college career.  I wish he had stuck it out to the end of the season but it was his decision.  I hope he finds the right situation for him!  

Time now to turn the page, get behind Bo and the team and finish this thing right starting Saturday night!  I think UGA and Bammer can both be had but take care of Ole Miss first!  

I wish Joey the very best. I truly hate that Malzahn screwed him around to the point where you felt like you needed to transfer out of Auburn.

He is going to go the Cam newton route.   Blinn type program and play immediately then go to a bigger name brand team.    He didnt even start for his highschool  he needs the game experience.  

16 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

He is going to go the Cam newton route.   Blinn type program and play immediately then go to a bigger name brand team.    He didnt even start for his highschool  he needs the game experience.  

Exactly; I didn’t really want to be the one that said it, thanks for the post!

Just like you, I’m just being totally honest...for the practice time missed, using the athletic facilities, the coaching etc. etc. etc. he certainly would’ve been better off waiting till the end of the season.

But I was young once too.

1 minute ago, AU-24 said:

Exactly; I didn’t really want to be the one that said it, thanks for the post!

Just like you, I’m just being totally honest...for the practice time missed, using the athletic facilities, the coaching etc. etc. etc. he certainly would’ve been better off waiting till the end of the season.

But I was young once too.

Agreed,  alot of emotion to make the decision leave like he did but i dont blame him. 

I think he can still do juco and end up at UF, but this is the perfect time for him just to go to UF straight up. Emory doesn’t have it locked down, Trask and Franks will be gone. Development with Mullen is worth more than anything else you could ask for

17 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think he can still do juco and end up at UF, but this is the perfect time for him just to go to UF straight up. Emory doesn’t have it locked down, Trask and Franks will be gone. Development with Mullen is worth more than anything else you could ask for

Mullen builds quarterbacks, whereas Malzahn tears them down and ruins them. Watching the team with him coaching and staying stagnant like pond water year in and year out is getting to the point where it is no fun to watch an AU offense. Hate to say it, but against good teams, it’s quite pitiful to watch a moron making 7 mil get out coached each and every game. I think we just allowed a superstar to walk. 

25 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

Mullen builds quarterbacks, whereas Malzahn tears them down and ruins them. Watching the team with him coaching and staying stagnant like pond water year in and year out is getting to the point where it is no fun to watch an AU offense. Hate to say it, but against good teams, it’s quite pitiful to watch a moron making 7 mil get out coached each and every game. I think we just allowed a superstar to walk. 

Yep, I realize they're no juggernaut, but what Mullen has done with that offense, and Trask this year may be the coaching job of the season. Other than what has happened in Baton Rouge

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Florida 

He may not be Cam but Dak 2.0 certainly.  SMH...

12 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

Too bad we don't have a transfer portal for HC's

This shinola gets much worse, and Aubie will enter the mascot transfer portal.

28 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

i never saw mullen do much with franks and he had franks starting ahead of trask who played damn good against us..........and did it hurt and still played well. but i admit i am biased as mullen makes me sick over his mouth. cam. us playing dirty. i am not convinced he helped cam that much. any print or video of cam saying what a great qb coach he was? he got lucky with dak. but again i am biased.....................lol

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i never saw mullen do much with franks and he had franks starting ahead of trask who played damn good against us..........and did it hurt and still played well. but i admit i am biased as mullen makes me sick over his mouth. cam. us playing dirty. i am not convinced he helped cam that much. any print or video of cam saying what a great qb coach he was? he got lucky with dak. but again i am biased.....................lol

Mullen is one of the guys that wanted Cam Newton playing Tight End. Nuff said!

4 hours ago, EagleEye67 said:

This shinola gets much worse, and Aubie will enter the mascot transfer portal.

Image result for aubie leaving in a truck

16 hours ago, DAG said:

Why is that 

Not sure if he has the resume on film to land at a P5 school- I'd think he would go somewhere like a juco where he could light it up and improve his stock.

20 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Franks was Jarrett Guarantano level before Mullen came. With Mullen, he was at least able to masquerade as a winner in the SEC. I don’t think their record would be any different with Franks, they’d just be a lesser team

Archived