What Gatewood’s midseason departure means

aubiefifty

Did the article ever say who was back up now? I’m guessing Cord, buuuttt Gus is still the coach. No telling what that offensive genius may have in mind. 

59 minutes ago, TXaubie said:

Did the article ever say who was back up now? I’m guessing Cord, buuuttt Gus is still the coach. No telling what that offensive genius may have in mind. 

This

I just wonder if the situationat at large is going to create some subconscious resentment of Nix. I like Bo just fine, but when think about all this, part of my mind categorizes him as one of the bad guys. There may be some surprising noises at the stadium if he plays poorly in the coming weeks.

11 hours ago, jAUSon said:

part of my mind categorizes him as one of the bad guys.

Why is that?  he's just out there doing his best which is what JG was probably doing too.    JMO but likely the players are more realistic about what is going on and most are trained to do what the coach tells them and not offer opinions about their fellow team mates.   Probably the "competition" for QB has been over since fall practice and it was up to JG to accept it and be ready for the call from the coach.  

I give lots of credit to Jalen for staying after he lost the starting job to Tua....stayed with the team .and he was ready to answer the call which came  eleven games into the season when Tua got dinged.....went in and did his job for his team.    He should be an all time favorite for bammers....      JG may be missing that opportunity by leaving now instead after the season is over.   :dunno: 

Let's be real about this. If Joey win's the job Bo walk's at some point and we blame Gus. Joey walked like everyone thought he might at the end of the year so we blame Gus. Gus should have given Joey more playing time and he did embarrass him by pulling him back. Those two things are on Gus.  But in Gus's mind right or wrong he thinks Bo is the QB of the future. He is the coach and he will suffer the consequences of that decision. Long run I still don't think it was the right decision we are just seeing a true freshman play in the SEC, no guaranty Joey would be any better the only issue is Gus should have let him play some to see. But still one QB gets the most playing time and the other likely goes.    But as a coach you have to make a decision and he made his. If we had been winning 9 or 10 games every year this would not have been such a big deal. One QB wins the other loses. I think at this point whether we beat Ga. or Bama Gus is probably gone because he lost the fan base. To me though this situation in isolation is being blown way out of proportion. Not taken in isolation it's just another brick in the wall for Gus to have to go. My fear is that we fire Gus and the next man up can't do any better. Stoops if it is him is a very short term ( Possible) solution and there is no guarantee he can cut it in the SEC. My hope is no matter what the fans want that if Green can't hit a homerun that for the sake of recruiting  we either keep Gus or fire him and promote the DC then try again for a homerun next year. I guess I just need to take a break from reading on here because if something good happens it's in spite of Gus if something bad happens no matter what it is it's only Gus's fault. It's such a broken record. Truth is it's probably 70/30 but because everyone hates him so much they can't see that it's not all him. I will say that it seems now some of the blame is being passed off to Bo which needs to stop now. Again he is a freshman playing in the SEC. Gus picked him to be the QB. He can't say no coach I think it would be better to play someone else. So I'm going to get off the site for a while until they make a decision and everyone can then turn their anger on whoever that new guy is. Lay off Bo though!!!  

JG is gone. And he’s not coming back. I wish him much success. For the ones who are still AU Tigers, it’s time to beat Ole Miss and get ready for UGA and UAT. WDE 🦅 

2 hours ago, bg5 said:

. I think at this point whether we beat Ga. or Bama Gus is probably gone because he lost the fan base. 

I agree with 99% of this but if we beat uga and uat no one on this board will speak of Gus not being here. If he goes 10-2 with this schedule he should be coach of the year even with the issues he has had managing the offense and the QB's. I doubt our AD will reward him with a big raise for one good year which is a good thing. 

Archived