What Gatewood’s midseason departure means

aubiefifty

What Joey Gatewood’s midseason departure means for Auburn at quarterback

Updated Oct 30, 2019;Posted Oct 30, 2019

7-9 minutes

Auburn Football

Upon naming Bo Nix as Auburn’s starting quarterback on Aug. 20, head coach Gus Malzahn repeated multiple times during that evening’s press conference that he felt the Tigers had two quarterbacks they could win games with.

With one month remaining in the regular season, and with two of the toughest games remaining on the schedule, Auburn is left with just one. Redshirt freshman Joey Gatewood, Nix’s backup for the first eight games of the season, left the team Wednesday and will transfer, according to sources.

Malzahn confirmed Gatewood’s departure on Wednesday afternoon during his weekly appearance on the SEC coaches teleconference.

“I really appreciated Joey,” Malzahn said. “When you think about it, when he didn’t win the job earlier, he chose to stick around. Most quarterbacks this day and time wouldn’t do that. He’s just at a point now where he wants to be a starting quarterback and just feels he needs to start looking for schools now so he can find the right spot, and I respect that.

“He’s a fine young man, and I really appreciate everything Joey has done for our program. Everyone in our program will be rooting for him moving forward.”

The news of Gatewood’s departure leaves Auburn in a precarious situation at quarterback entering the final four games of the regular season. Nix’s starting job didn’t appear to be in jeopardy to begin with, as Malzahn said this week there were no considerations of making a change at quarterback following Nix’s recent road struggles against Florida and LSU — but the true freshman’s grip on the role has, by default, been strengthened. He is not only Auburn’s quarterback of the present, but Malzahn firmly believes the former five-star prospect will end up being a great quarterback for the Tigers when all is said and done.

While it was always a real possibility that one of Gatewood or Nix — whoever lost out on the offseason quarterback competition — would not finish their career at Auburn, Gatewood’s departure and the timing of it is troubling for Malzahn and Auburn.

Gatewood is now the seventh quarterback signee under Malzahn to either transfer, leave the team for other reasons or change position. He joins Sean White (dismissed), Jason Smith (moved to receiver, then to defensive back), Woody Barrett (transferred), John Franklin III (switched positions twice and then transferred), Tyler Queen (transferred) and Malik Willis (transferred). Only three quarterback signees under Malzahn have finished their college careers playing quarterback at Auburn: Nick Marshall (2013-14), Jeremy Johnson (2013-2016) and Jarrett Stidham (2017-18), with two of those being junior college transfers and the other, Johnson, finishing his career as a backup after being benched in 2015.

The timing of Gatewood’s departure — four games remaining for 11th-ranked Auburn, including meetings with No. 8 Georgia and No. 2 Alabama — is also less than ideal, as it leaves Auburn with just two scholarship quarterbacks for the remainder of the season: Nix and redshirt freshman Cord Sandberg, who has appeared in just one game this season with limited action and has attempted just one pass in his Auburn career. Sandberg will be thrust into the role of backup quarterback, though his experience at the position has been limited; he was a minor league baseball player for several years before enrolling at Auburn last year, and he has worked primarily with the third-team offense since the spring.

Gatewood’s decision to transfer means Nix’s importance has also been increased. Auburn can ill afford the true freshman to sustain an injury now, and he’ll also have to step up his play these last four games after his recent struggles. Nix completed just 41.9 percent of his passes, with four interceptions and just two touchdowns, in Auburn’s losses to LSU and Florida. His numbers have also been generally poor away from Jordan-Hare Stadium, as he has completed 48.5 percent of his passes for 755 yards, eight touchdowns and six interceptions.

Nix’s numbers have been better at home, where Auburn will play its final four games of the regular season. He has completed 63.5 percent of his passes for 703 yards, four touchdowns and no interceptions. His yards per attempt are also considerably higher at home (9.5) versus on the road (5.8).

Gatewood appeared in seven of Auburn’s eight games this season, though outside of blowouts his role was limited largely to short-yardage and red-zone situations. He completed five of his seven pass attempts for 54 yards and a pair of touchdowns, and he also rushed for 148 yards and three touchdowns on 29 carries. He did not play in Auburn’s loss to Florida, and he was at quarterback for just one play during last weekend’s loss to LSU, when he entered the game two plays after D.J. Williams’ 70-yard run to open the second half and rushed for 2 yards on second-and-goal before Nix checked back in.

While Gatewood’s role fluctuated from game to game, Malzahn repeatedly said the 6-foot-5, 233-pounder — who he previously compared, physically, to Cam Newton — gave Auburn’s offense some flexibility. That flexibility is now gone, and Auburn will have to turn to other options in those situations that previously called for Gatewood.

That includes some Wildcat packages, where redshirt sophomore running back Boobee Whitlow — who has been the primary Wildcat quarterback the last two seasons — will likely see more action once he fully recovers from the arthroscopic knee procedure he underwent three weeks ago. Malzahn said Tuesday that Whitlow still isn’t 100 percent and will be limited this weekend against Ole Miss. Other possible Wildcat options for Auburn in freshman running back D.J. Williams, who played quarterback his senior year of high school, and redshirt freshman running back Harold Joiner.

Gatewood’s departure will also have an impact on Auburn’s quarterback recruiting. The Tigers typically take at least one quarterback per class, but with the limited depth behind Nix now, don’t be shocked to see Malzahn try to add two to the 2020 class.

Auburn currently holds one commitment at the position this cycle in the form of three-star dual-threat quarterback Chayil Garnett, the No. 21 player at his position and No. 570 overall prospect in the nation, according to the 247Sports Composite rankings. The Tigers also have a commitment from four-star 2021 quarterback Aaron McLaughlin, the No. 11 pro-style option in the class. Adding a second quarterback to this class, whether an incoming freshman, through the transfer portal or by way of the grad transfer market, will be essential for Auburn this cycle to fortify depth at the position.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

I think Nix has a lot of potential to be great. I just wonder if the moment is too big for him right now ! Thanks for the posts fifty. 

6 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Gatewood is now the seventh quarterback signee under Malzahn to either transfer, leave the team for other reasons or change position.

i might be labeled a sunshine pumper but no one can accuse me of not posting ALL relevant articles good or bad for the AUFam reading pleasure. anyway the statement i highlighted is troubling.........

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

i might be labeled a sunshine pumper but no one can exuse me of posting ALL relevant articles good or bad for the AUFam reading pleasure. anyway the statement i highlighted is troubling.........

Yes Malzahn is the issue . Point blank period. The problem is the administration won’t fire him once he beats Ole Miss, beats UGA and competes with Bama. Malzahn knows he is in a peculiar situation and usually when it gets to this point out of nowhere he learns how to adapt and coach . 

5 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i might be labeled a sunshine pumper but no one can exuse me of posting ALL relevant articles good or bad for the AUFam reading pleasure. anyway the statement i highlighted is troubling.........

We all knew QB play under Gus was bad but to see the names actually listed makes it seem even worse. Hes the anti-Mullen of QB development.

Just now, CR said:

We all knew QB play under Gus was bad but to see the names actually listed makes it seem even worse. Hes like the anti-Mullen of QB development.

Unfortunately , IMO he is very prideful and guess what very rich no matter what. So he is going out his own way. Like I said I give him props for betting on himself but I hate that it’s at the expense of some of the team. Just pride, pride, pride. It’s baffling because he has been in situations with HC about pride. 

5 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

I really appreciated Joey,” Malzahn said. “When you think about it, when he didn’t win the job earlier, he chose to stick around. Most quarterbacks this day and time wouldn’t do that. He’s just at a point now where he wants to be a starting quarterback and just feels he needs to start looking for schools now so he can find the right spot, and I respect that.

This statement alone doesn't say he expected Joey to transfer but based on what has transpired I wonder if he just didn't care whether he stayed or not. By hardly playing JG he seemed to force the issue. I just don't think Gus really cared to keep Joey on the team since he was deceptive in his plan for him, sparingly played him and in for the most part humiliated him by continuing to play a struggling Bo. Doesn't sound like Gus was interested in saving Joey at all. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I think Nix has a lot of potential to be great. I just wonder if the moment is too big for him right now ! Thanks for the posts fifty. 

He'd be playing better if the scheme fit his abilities more in the big games. He's no different than any other freshman QB. Tua got exposed big time against Clemson AND UGA last season. The coach had a backup come in and bail him out in one game but the other was too much to overcome. 

5 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

He'd be playing better if the scheme fit his abilities more in the big games. He's no different than any other freshman QB. Tua got exposed big time against Clemson AND UGA last season. The coach had a backup come in and bail him out in one game but the other was too much to overcome. 

Nah Tua not perfect but he can hit simple slant passes. Bo nix is missing basic passes, even in games we have control in. 

What I have noticed with Nix is he is struggling on the road in hostile environments. Unless there are issues with the team after losing Joey I wouldn’t be surprised if Nix looks drastically improved over the next 4 games.

do not be surprised to see joey go to smu. we have ex coaches and players there already.and they love a high powered offense. i would take ol sonny if coach steele remained. he scores like hell with lesser players too...............

7 hours ago, gr82be said:

This statement alone doesn't say he expected Joey to transfer but based on what has transpired I wonder if he just didn't care whether he stayed or not. By hardly playing JG he seemed to force the issue. I just don't think Gus really cared to keep Joey on the team since he was deceptive in his plan for him, sparingly played him and in for the most part humiliated him by continuing to play a struggling Bo. Doesn't sound like Gus was interested in saving Joey at all. 

I'm truly feeling, at this point, that Gus honestly just didn't like Joey.  Nothing else is making sense to me.

EDIT: Just wanted to add this is more question than statement as I'm at a total loss trying to understand a $7M/year coach that's SO BAD at personnel management.  Not trying to spread rumors or fake news.  *Slinks away slowly*

28 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

do not be surprised to see joey go to smu. we have ex coaches and players there already.and they love a high powered offense. i would take ol sonny if coach steele remained. he scores like hell with lesser players too...............

Good point. I could see him reuniting with Lashlee as he was his main recruiter. With how Lashlee has SMU's offense humming right now that could be an attractive place for him. His sights could also be set higher.

Or if a P5 team takes a shot on Lashlee maybe Joey follows him there.

12 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I'm truly feeling, at this point, that Gus honestly just didn't like Joey.  Nothing else is making sense to me.

Well your feelings are totally wrong. Why would Gus not like Joey, as to the reason for how JG was used? 

From what I heard, JG was quiet well liked, and always an Auburn man, in how he presented himself. Never heard of any issues from inside now for over 2 years Gus has had with JG.

The issue is simply 2 fold. Gus doesn't know how to handle QBs, and game management with his QBs, and Gatewood based on what Gus said he would do with JG and eventually DIDN'T do, i.e. the LSU, saw the writing on the wall, became too depressed, and felt he needed to leave now.

No reason to believe Gus had a problem with his QB. Simply promoting fake news on your part. lol....

p.s. I will say that is one less pressure issue Gus has to deal with now: the legacy AU QB playing poorly, and being pressured to put the 1b QB in to replace him. unfortunately, Gus has a lot more issues that still are flaming at him about his offensive weaknesses and production.

15 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

But Kristi loved him! 

"Some kids walk in there and some crawl into your heart and won't let go..."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/college/auburn/LongFormArticle/Team-mom-A-game-in-the-life-of-Kristi-Malzahn-wife-of-Auburn-Tigers-coach-Gus-Malzahn-135688055/Amp/

22 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Well your feelings are totally wrong. Why would Gus not like Joey, as to the reason for how JG was used? 

From what I heard, JG was quiet well liked, and always an Auburn man, in how he presented himself. Never heard of any issues from inside now for over 2 years Gus has had with JG.

The issue is simply 2 fold. Gus doesn't know how to handle QBs, and game management with his QBs, and Gatewood based on what Gus said he would do with JG and eventually DIDN'T do, i.e. the LSU, saw the writing on the wall, became too depressed, and felt he needed to leave now.

No reason to believe Gus had a problem with his QB. Simply promoting fake news on your part. lol....

p.s. I will say that is one less pressure issue Gus has to deal with now: the legacy AU QB playing poorly, and being pressured to put the 1b QB in to replace him. unfortunately, Gus has a lot more issues that still are flaming at him about his offensive weaknesses and production.

20 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

I'm so glad to hear that, believe me!!

"Fake news"...LOL!  No, I promise not.  Just grasping at straws as to why because it's so hard for me to fathom such bad personnel usage.

Not trying to spread rumors, I promise.  My post was more Question than Statement.

22 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Sorry sister. Outta reactions so 👍

Gus had pulled Joey back from going in the game, then said publicly that he never even thought about changing QBs vs Florida or LSU. With that as the background I would not be surprised to find out that Joey said something along the lines of, "Look coach, Bo threw 41% in those games and I've been patient. But I know I can do better and I think I deserve a chance to prove it." Gus goes "blah, blah" and Joey says, "I have to think about this."

Actually I hope he did stand up for himself because he would have been justified. Unfortunately, I think this is going to be harder on Bo now. His mistakes will be magnified even more, putting more pressure on him not less. When mistakes do happen, fans will likely be less patient because of the Joey situation. They might even react negatively during the game, at him and at Gus. It's just good we are playing Ole Miss so there is a chance to improve.

I know a lot of people feel that Bo is going to be a great QB and I truly hope he will, but right now his footwork is so bad that I can't fathom how he is going to get to that level.

He sometimes throws with his body parallel to the LOS using mostly arm strength to get the ball to the target. Sometimes he throws falling back. Seldom do I see him actually step into his delivery. It seems that when he does find an open receiver he is trying to deliver the ball as fast as possible before that window of opportunity closes. We know that he has been thoroughly trained in basic mechanics by his coaches throughout his development but somehow that training is disappearing in the heat of battle. Seems to me that the loss of good mechanics is a serious issue and one not easily rectified, especially for a QB with as much training as he has had.

It would be interesting to know what some of the knowledgeable posters on this board think about the footwork issue?

4 hours ago, CodeRocket said:

I know a lot of people feel that Bo is going to be a great QB and I truly hope he will, but right now his footwork is so bad that I can't fathom how he is going to get to that level.

He sometimes throws with his body parallel to the LOS using mostly arm strength to get the ball to the target. Sometimes he throws falling back. Seldom do I see him actually step into his delivery. It seems that when he does find an open receiver he is trying to deliver the ball as fast as possible before that window of opportunity closes. We know that he has been thoroughly trained in basic mechanics by his coaches throughout his development but somehow that training is disappearing in the heat of battle. Seems to me that the loss of good mechanics is a serious issue and one not easily rectified, especially for a QB with as much training as he has had.

It would be interesting to know what some of the knowledgeable posters on this board think about the footwork issue?

I probably don't fall in to the "knowledgeable poster" category but even after ten years in the league Cam still throws off the wrong foot, etc.  So who knows if Bo will get past this.  As for affect on the team by JG leaving....I guess that is TBD.    He's not been playing meaningful plays and sounded like Gus was not gonna do much more with him so if Bo can avoid injury, the impact this year is about zero other how it affects his former team mates.     If Bo gets dinged in a major way it's a different story.

Hate to see him leave mid season since it would have been comforting to having him as a back-up but JMO he had a right to be offended the way Gus jerked him back the other day when it was likely understood he was going to run that play. 

Then again, seems that about a third of the starting QBs in Div 1 started their careers at some other school before getting the starting job at their current school.  For example, I'm wondering who was the last guy at Oklahoma to play QB there who signed out of HS with them. .  JG wants to be a starter and I"m hoping he finds the opportunity...out of the SEC....

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I probably don't fall in to the "knowledgeable poster" category but even after ten years in the league Cam still throws off the wrong foot, etc.  So who knows if Bo will get past this.  As for affect on the team by JG leaving....I guess that is TBD.    He's not been playing meaningful plays and sounded like Gus was not gonna do much more with him so if Bo can avoid injury, the impact this year is about zero other how it affects his former team mates.     If Bo gets dinged in a major way it's a different story.

Hate to see him leave mid season since it would have been comforting to having him as a back-up but JMO he had a right to be offended the way Gus jerked him back the other day when it was likely understood he was going to run that play. 

Then again, seems that about a third of the starting QBs in Div 1 started their careers at some other school before getting the starting job at their current school.  For example, I'm wondering who was the last guy at Oklahoma to play QB there who signed out of HS with them. .  JG wants to be a starter and I"m hoping he finds the opportunity...out of the SEC....

You are correct....................................

12 hours ago, DAG said:

Yes Malzahn is the issue . Point blank period. The problem is the administration won’t fire him once he beats Ole Miss, beats UGA and competes with Bama. Malzahn knows he is in a peculiar situation and usually when it gets to this point out of nowhere he learns how to adapt and coach . 

I wouldn't be too optimistic about the UGA game at this point bud. Their defense is still fairly good. Our offensive performances against good defense is horribly bad. Bama may run us out of our own stadium is Tua is healthy.

21 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

I wouldn't be too optimistic about the UGA game at this point bud. Their defense is still fairly good. Our offensive performances against good defense is horribly bad. Bama may run us out of our own stadium is Tua is healthy.

We will see. It’s not me being optimistic . It’s the constant roller coaster of Malzahn. 

Archived