Malzahn’s QB mismanagement costs Auburn again

aubiefifty

al.com

Gus Malzahn’s QB mismanagement costs Auburn again

Posted Oct 30, 2019

6-8 minutes

Auburn Football

Gus Malzahn isn’t good at managing the quarterback position.

We already knew that, of course, but it was reinforced Wednesday when redshirt freshman Joey Gatewood became yet another in a long line of Auburn quarterbacks in the Malzahn era to leave the program before their eligibility was up. He entered fall camp as the presumed starting quarterback and left eight games into the season after only attempting seven passes despite questions about whether true freshman -- and Auburn legacy -- Bo Nix is the right pick to remain the starter this season.

Malzahn’s unabated infatuation with Nix might eventually prove right. The former five-star quarterback has shown signs of why he was so highly regarded coming out of Pinson Valley. No one has forgotten the winning touchdown Nix delivered in his first game to beat Oregon, a win that continues to look better as the Ducks roll through the Pac-12. But he’s also struggled mightily in Auburn’s two losses this season, at Florida and at LSU, and there are legitimate reasons to wonder whether Auburn would have been better suited starting a more veteran quarterback than a true freshman in those road games.

Malzahn actively pursued graduate transfer options at quarterback after last season, but his strong feelings for Nix always lingered in those recruitments. Auburn heavily pursued Clemson transfer Kelly Bryant but was never willing to promise him the starting job, according to a source familiar with his recruitment. With one year of eligibility remaining, Bryant wanted to know he was going into a situation where he could be the starter after losing his job to Trevor Lawrence midway through last season. Arkansas and Missouri, his other two finalists, made it clear that would be the case, but Bryant never got that indication from Auburn because of how high the coaches were on Nix, according to a source. Bryant has publicly said one reason he chose Missouri was he believed in offensive coordinator Derek Dooley’s ability to help him get to the NFL.

Is Auburn a better team this year with Bryant? Probably. The Missouri quarterback hasn’t put up monster numbers, though his 1,845 passing yards and 14 touchdowns are better than Nix, and he has much less offensive talent to work with than he would at Auburn. Bryant has struggled in Missouri’s last two games as he’s battled injuries but the veteran quarterback has played in big games before and would have brought a different presence in Gainesville and Baton Rouge. It’s hard to imagine him playing any worse than Nix did in those games, at least.

He wasn’t the only transfer option Auburn pursued, either. The Tigers pushed hard to get a visit from Alabama transfer Jalen Hurts though he (smartly) bet on Oklahoma and coach Lincoln Riley’s abilities over Malzahn’s to maximize his talents. Hurts is now a Heisman Trophy favorite after piling up 2,469 passing yards and 21 touchdowns. With Hurts at the helm and possibly the nation’s top defense, Auburn could easily be undefeated and a top 2 team in the country as it headed into November. Auburn was also interested in Oklahoma transfer Austin Kendall who ended up at West Virginia and Arizona quarterback Khalil Tate who stayed put in Tucson.

With everything the Tigers had coming back, Auburn should have been a desirable landing spot for a top graduate transfer quarterback. But Malzahn’s recent track record of developing quarterbacks leaves a lot to be desired, from Jeremy Johnson to John Franklin III to Woody Barrett, and that can’t help on the recruiting trail. Everyone knows what Malzahn did for Cam Newton but Jarrett Stidham’s regression within the program looms larger in 2019. Former NFL general manager Mike Lombardi has seemingly made it his mission in life to tell the world Malzahn isn’t good at developing quarterbacks.

When Auburn missed on those transfer options, it forced Malzahn to choose from his collection of unproven quarterbacks already on the roster. It came down to Gatewood, a player he had once compared to Cam Newton, and Nix, the son of an Auburn legend who only committed to the Tigers after Malzahn received a lucrative contract extension. There was a feeling around the program that Malzahn always preferred Nix over Gatewood even if the conventional wisdom suggested to start Gatewood. When Malzahn announced the true freshman as the starter on Aug. 20, it became only a matter of time before Gatewood left the program. When Malzahn wouldn’t budge from starting Nix after a poor outing against LSU, it signaled to Gatewood it was time to go after it became clear he wasn’t going to be Auburn’s starter unless Nix got injured.

With Gatewood’s departure, Auburn is down to Nix and backup quarterback Cord Sandberg who was originally part of Mississippi State’s 2013 class before pursuing a baseball career. A season that already hung in the balance became more precarious Wednesday given Malzahn has no viable alternatives now no matter how poorly Nix plays going forward or if he gets hurt.

It’s Nix or bust for Auburn now. Malzahn’s supreme confidence in the true freshman and handling of Gatewood has put his program in that position.

If Nix can beat Georgia and/or Alabama, it’ll be worth it. But if the Tigers go 0-4 against Florida, LSU, Georgia and Alabama, the rumors surrounding his long-term job security will again crank up. One SEC staffer, who has watched Auburn’s tape, said Auburn is wasting the nation’s best defensive line and what is arguably the best defense period because of poor offensive play. That’s not ideal for a coach in the midst of a 7-year, $49 million contract earned off a reputation as an offensive guru.

Had Malzahn done a better job of recruiting and managing the quarterback position, Auburn could be readying for the College Football Playoff and not another offseason of drama.

John Talty is the SEC Insider for Alabama Media Group. You can follow him on Twitter @JTalty.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

One SEC staffer, who has watched Auburn’s tape, said Auburn is wasting the nation’s best defensive line and what is arguably the best defense period because of poor offensive play. That’s not ideal for a coach in the midst of a 7-year, $49 million contract earned off a reputation as an offensive guru.

🤦‍♂️

Gus is beyond stubborn........This is all on Gus.......just sickens me to know end Gatewood is no longer on the team.......said before the season started Bo should have been redshirted......Gatewood had a year under Gus' silly offensive scheme..........and know I didn't expect Joey to be the next Cam, however the 2 passes he threw this year were crazy accurate.

There is know way in hell you could convince me that pulling Bo in Saturdays loss in the second half and inserting Joey wouldn't have provided a spark to the offense and a renewed confidence in the recievers( A struggling QB drains the team).

I don't blame Bo, he has heart, talent and a desire to win and he's a fresham trying to live up to his fathers legend. I attended the 1994 Auburn vs LSU game and Pat Nix and the entire offense struggled.....Coach Bowden pulled Nix for Daymeune Craig and Craig struggled.......It took a miraculous defensive effort to get the win, but damn it Coach Bowden was trying to win. For the record pulling Pat Nix didn't hurt his confidence in the least.

Gus has done a disservice to the players and the fans for continuing to be stubborn and mule headed.

Gatewood leaving isn't as bad as why. Kids are transferring all the time in this new era of semi-pro, I mean college football. The fact that CGM is the total reason based off of his own failure is what pisses me off. 

Gus doubled down on Gus this year and it is coming home to roost.  The only thing that is saving Gus right now is the defense, how ironic.

10 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

But if the Tigers go 0-4 against Florida, LSU, Georgia and Alabama, the rumors surrounding his long-term job security will again crank up. 

I'm thinking the decision has already been made. It's a money thing. Day late, dollar short al.com.

16 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Gus Malzahn isn’t good at managing the quarterback position.

We already knew that, of course, but it was reinforced Wednesday when redshirt freshman Joey Gatewood became yet another in a long line of Auburn quarterbacks in the Malzahn era to leave the program before their eligibility was up.

And all those QB's who left AU have done such great things at their next stop! Tyler Queen is the starting TE at West Georgia, Woody Barrett is the second string QB at Kent State, Malik Willis is waiting his turn at Liberty College and....and.... Well I guess the others just faded away into stardom in the NFL where they are setting records and making millions. Who were those guys who left AU and starred at QB elsewhere? Surely there must be a couple dozen but I can't recall a single name right now. Help my memory out?

The headline is a perfect example of the state's media smearing Auburn.

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

And all those QB's who left AU have done such great things at their next stop! Tyler Queen is the starting TE at West Georgia, Woody Barrett is the second string QB at Kent State, Malik Willis is waiting his turn at Liberty College and....and.... Well I guess the others just faded away into stardom in the NFL where they are setting records and making millions. Who were those guys who left AU and starred at QB elsewhere? Surely there must be a couple dozen but I can't recall a single name right now. Help my memory out?

The biggest thing to me in all of this is that Gus is a terrible evaluator of quarterbacks who also can't develop even the better ones he lands. Even Stidham regressed his Junior year. Gus landed Bo because Bo's a legacy. He could end up wrecking him before it's over because he wasn't ready for the spotlight yet. These QBs are leaving because they can't develop under Gus. He's terrible at it. It's simple, if Joey doesn't play he doesn't develop. Bo won't get any better either as long a Gus is at Auburn. The common denominator is Gus, not the bench sitting QBs who left. The names you mentioned were all interchangeable parts in the equation. I think Joey's situation is different. I never heard Gus say over and over that the other names you listed were special talents who he has to find a way to get them in the game. Nope, just Joey, and he went back on his statement time after time. People don't like being lied to Mikey. You can defend Gus over and over but it doesn't change the fact that he doesn't know what to do with a QB out of high school. He can't develop them or he can't evaluate them, it's one or the other. You choose, but either way Gus is the issue. 

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

you going to censure what i post now mikey? i post what is out there.  i even post the cute fluff pieces. i do not tell myself the fam would love this article but the am will hate that one. i am trying to do a service here and let people make up their own minds. you are welcome to your opinion as well. i think of the few hundred articles i have scrounged from different sources if very few of them have been click bait. your job is to make commentary on them once they are posted. would YOU care to take over? no one is posting many articles because of feelings one way or the other. coach ray? gone. ptb? gone. stat? i have no idea. you take over posting articles and i will gladly give you the job. i am not trying to be mean but good grief. i have been more than fair with gus and you know it.

7 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

you going to censure what i post now mikey? i post what is out there.  i even post the cute fluff pieces. i do not tell myself the fam would love this article but the am will hate that one. i am trying to do a service here and let people make up their own minds. you are welcome to your opinion as well. i think of the few hundred articles i have scrounged from different sources if very few of them have been click bait. your job is to make commentary on them once they are posted. would YOU care to take over? no one is posting many articles because of feelings one way or the other. coach ray? gone. ptb? gone. stat? i have no idea. you take over posting articles and i will gladly give you the job. i am not trying to be mean but good grief. i have been more than fair with gus and you know it.

tenor.gif

11 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

What the hell are you talking about?

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

What the hell are you talking about?

go away dude it is too early...............

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

go away dude it is too early...............

Nah bro.  You called out Mikey on something that made no sense.  He simply commented on the content of the article.  Then somehow you turned it into him attacking you posting articles?  Again I ask, what the hell are you talking about?

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Nah bro.  You called out Mikey on something that made no sense.  He simply commented on the content of the article.  Then somehow you turned it into him attacking you posting articles?  Again I ask, what the hell are you talking about?

and you are mikey? he told me to quit posting what he believes is click bait. my point is i post what is out there period with not motives like trying to make auburn look bad which is not true.

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

and you are mikey? he told me to quit posting what he believes is click bait. my point is i post what is out there period with not motives like trying to make auburn look bad which is not true.

I've read his post several times.  Can't find the words "click bait" once or where he told you to quit posting things.  Stop seeing things you want to be true and instead read the content of the man's posts.   He said the state media smears AU, not you.

Side note: can't believe I'm having to defend Mikey in a quasi-football debate.  It's weird.

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

The fact that all these highly rated QB's end up as broken shells of a football player at other schools after being "coached" by Gus is problematic in my mind.

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I've read his post several times.  Can't find the words "click bait" once or where he told you to quit posting things.  Stop seeing things you want to be true and instead read the content of the man's posts.   He said the state media smears AU, not you.

Side note: can't believe I'm having to defend Mikey in a quasi-football debate.  It's weird.

Be like me defending the yellow one....................just kill me if that ever happens

why do people complain about click bait? they do not want to see it printed. it is pretty obvious to me.

6 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

no you and bird want to start a pissing contest. it is early. i have just woke up and had one cup of coffee. and maybe i jumped the gun but i get jumped over content i post or did until i jumped back. but it comes off as ungrateful.

Archived