What’s next after loss to LSU?

aubiefifty

What’s next for Auburn after loss to LSU? ‘There’s no other option than to win these 4 games’

Today 9:48 AM

6-7 minutes

Auburn Football

Auburn’s trip to Death Valley was supposed to be “do or die” for Gus Malzahn’s team.

Everything Auburn entered the season hoping to achieve — a shot at the SEC West title, a chance to win the SEC championship and a potential berth in the College Football Playoff — hinged on the team going down to Baton Rouge, La., and coming away with the program’s first win on the bayou in 20 years. After a 23-20 loss on Saturday, however, Malzahn conceded that all those goals are now “very, very tough” to reach at this juncture.

So, what was the seventh-year head coach’s message to his team with those goals out of reach and four games still remaining on the schedule?

“The message was that, ‘We’re going to be champions,’” Malzahn said. “Our guys aren’t going to flinch. They’re disappointed. We have a really good football team. We have to correct some things. We have four games left against some really good teams, and there’s a lot to play for. I’ll tell you that.

“So, that’s really our message. But our guys will stick together. They’re true Auburn men. We’ll finish this thing the right way.”

Champions of what, exactly, remains to be seen. It almost certainly won’t be champions of the league, as the Tigers had hoped entering the season.

No. 11 Auburn is 6-2 entering the final month of the regular season, with both losses coming in SEC play in hostile road environments. The Tigers’ chances of winning the division are all but shot, with top-ranked LSU and No. 2 Alabama both undefeated and controlling the outcome of that race; those two teams will meet Nov. 9 for pole position in the standings.

While those goals are out of reach, Auburn does have plenty to play for heading into November. Thanks to a strong resume — with both losses coming in close games to top-six teams on the road—Auburn only fell two spots to No. 11 in the latest AP poll Sunday. If Auburn can put together another “November to remember” as it did in 2017, the Tigers will be in prime position to earn a berth in a marquee bowl game.

To get there, however, Auburn will have to knock off its two biggest rivals, Alabama and Georgia — both of whom are currently ranked in the top 10.

“Just keep pushing, man,” senior safety Jeremiah Dinson said. “Try to get every win that you can. You got four more games left of the regular season. You know, you just put your head down, keep working. I can't tell you the outcome, what's going to happen in these four games, but you know, you just keep your head down, keep working and try to win them all.”

Auburn is taking things one game at a time and turning its focus to this week’s home game against Ole Miss, not looking ahead to the Deep South’s Oldest Rivalry or the Iron Bowl. Yet, the Tigers know they have no margin for error in November if they hope to finish strong.

Malzahn also made sure Saturday evening that they understood the need to stick together, not allowing the two tough losses to Florida and LSU to fracture the team, because a memorable season is still within reach.

“We’re all we’ve got,” linebacker K.J. Britt said. “We’ve got to stick together, and that’s true. A real brother is going to fight and we’re going to have to fight 24/7. We’re going to have to fight all the demons, everybody who is trying to divide us. We just can’t listen to the outsiders. We have to fix our problems internally and we’ll be alright.”

The good news for Auburn is that each of its final four games are at Jordan-Hare Stadium, where the Tigers have been a considerably better team — both this year and throughout Malzahn’s tenure. Auburn is 38-9 at home under Malzahn, including 3-0 this season with the offense averaging 45 points per game (tied for 12th nationally among FBS teams at home), while the defense has allowed just 15 points per game.

Auburn hosts Ole Miss before a bye week Nov. 9, followed by No. 8 Georgia the following weekend, FCS program Samford and then No. 2 Alabama to close out the regular-season schedule. The Tigers will be favored in at least two of those games, though the toughest challenges will certainly be against Georgia and Alabama.

In two of the three seasons under Malzahn that Auburn has hosted both of those rivals, the Tigers have swept those matchups — 2013 and 2017. Georgia has looked vulnerable this season despite just the one loss to South Carolina, while Auburn’s defensive effort against LSU has to give it confidence it can similarly slow down Alabama’s high-octane offense.

While Auburn is disappointed it couldn’t leave LSU with a victory, Malzahn was insistent that his team is still excited for the road ahead in November.

“I mean, look, if we finish with two losses, that’s a heck of a year,” senior right tackle Jack Driscoll said. “I think the thing is obviously I wish we could’ve sat here and been undefeated right now going into some more big games, but we can’t quit, we can’t turn on each other because, look, we’re still a good ball team and there’s still a lot of football to be played. It’s hard. Everyone’s upset right now because I think we had a chance to win that game. As Coach Malzahn said, we just got to keep getting better and, you know, there’s still a lot of football in front of us.”

First up: Saturday’s 6 p.m. kick against Ole Miss, which senior defensive tackle Derrick Brown described as a good opportunity to get back in front of “the best fans in the country” and get Auburn’s confidence rolling again heading into the final stretch of the season.

“We need to win these four games,” Brown said. “There's no other option than to win these four games.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

I hate to be negative but I expect more of the same against Georgia & Bama-- a great defense that will keep us in the game but gets worn out by staying on the field the whole game due to an inept offense that can´t get enough first downs to even give the defense a breather. I hope I am wrong.

22 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

“We need to win these four games,” Brown said. “There's no other option than to win these four games.”

Thanks for sharing 50

I love Derrick Brown he's a better man than I am. Personally, my Saturdays have been cleared up. This Saturday I'm going to go coach our new middle school club at their first wrestling tournament (building the future). Next weekend the wife and I are reorganizing the house and installing new cabinets. The weekend after we're taking a trip to Virginia to see my brother reenlist for his last 5 years in the military (can't believe he's almost at 20 years). Haven't planned for the weekend after that but I feel like I have been freed form a prison of suffering and disappointment lol...

who am I Kidding I'll still check my phone the whole time and keep one Bluetooth headphone in to listen to the play by play...

UF and LSUs tape gives UGA and BAMA a blueprint on what they need to do because we are not going to change. We are that one dimensional on Offense. Its going to be:

Run up the middle, long pass to Canella or Williams, then run up the middle again.

Might put Schwartzs in for a play or two so if you see #5 just stack your defense against him

And on yea.. if you see Joey Gatewood  its going to be a QB sneak play so stack the line.

Dont worry about the wildcat because we will have to use a time out or false start before them which will give your defense plenty of time to know what is coming.

Our entire Offensive scheme in 4 short sentences..... sad. I'm guessing the genius is in the simplicity of it all...?

I'll lay it out for you - 

1. Bloodletting against Ole Miss
  2. Gus pumpers act like everything is fine again
  3. "Good news" during the bye week
  4. Another offensive bed wetting against UGA, the result is close because their offense isn't great either.
  5. More arguing on our boards between flat earthers Gus supporters and people who live in the real world.
  6. Underwhelming victory against Samford.
  7. Loss to bammer, might be a whipping, might look like LSU.
  8. Anyone's guess after this.

35 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

I hate to be negative but I expect more of the same against Georgia & Bama-- a great defense that will keep us in the game but gets worn out by staying on the field the whole game due to an inept offense that can´t get enough first downs to even give the defense a breather. I hope I am wrong.

UGA is very beatable by an Auburn team with next to no offense. Wouldn't surprise me much if Auburns D + turnovers/FGs are enough to win.

24 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Thanks for sharing 50

I love Derrick Brown he's a better man than I am. Personally, my Saturdays have been cleared up. This Saturday I'm going to go coach our new middle school club at their first wrestling tournament (building the future). Next weekend the wife and I are reorganizing the house and installing new cabinets. The weekend after we're taking a trip to Virginia to see my brother reenlist for his last 5 years in the military (can't believe he's almost at 20 years). Haven't planned for the weekend after that but I feel like I have been freed form a prison of suffering and disappointment lol...

who am I Kidding I'll still check my phone the whole time and keep one Bluetooth headphone in to listen to the play by play...

Pretty sad Zeek, you know you'll be missing out on possibly the best Auburn defensive play we've seen this decade.

Just now, Mims44 said:

Pretty sad Zeek, you know you'll be missing out on possibly the best Auburn defensive play we've seen this decade.

Mad respect to the defense. Can someone cut out our offensive snaps for me? That would be a nice video to watch lol.

2 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

I'll lay it out for you - 

1. Bloodletting against Ole Miss
  2. Gus pumpers act like everything is fine again
  3. "Good news" during the bye week
  4. Another offensive bed wetting against UGA, the result is close because their offense isn't great either.
  5. More arguing on our boards between flat earthers Gus supporters and people who live in the real world.
  6. Underwhelming victory against Samford.
  7. Loss to bammer, might be a whipping, might look like LSU.
  8. Anyone's guess after this.

news flash and not meant to be mean but pumpers do not like to lose at all so your analysis is flawed. but i am not getting in a tinkling contest today..........

Put our heads down and get better. Stop yelling for Gus to get fired after every mistake.  If a change is needed, our suits will make it. We aren't afraid to pay a buyout.  But our chicken littles hurt us recruiting.  

6 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

news flash and not meant to be mean but pumpers do not like to lose at all so your analysis is flawed. but i am not getting in a tinkling contest today..........

I'm not so sure with the way people on other forums aggressively defend mediocrity and losing to our rivals every friggin' year. 

Struggle early against OM but pull away in the second half once the bad taste of the LSU game is gone

Beat uga at home as Jordan Hare is electric with support and love for the team. (And the refs won't be so blatantly missing penalties in uga's favor)

Thump Samford.

Give bamr all they want. But the problem will be the referees again. 

Finish the season at 11-2/10-3 with a nice bowl and bowl victory.

Gus 2020

On 10/28/2019 at 12:08 PM, WalkingCarpet said:

I'm not so sure with the way people on other forums aggressively defend mediocrity and losing to our rivals every friggin' year. 

well it hurts me bad. really bad. at sixty four how many more chances do i have to witness more glory seasons? it hurts. some  of us just keep positive because we are the mercy of others and my love for auburn will not let diss the team even when they fall short. i can guarantee you i do not like mediocrity i just refuse to go negative at all if i can help it. but i wish we could come to osme kind of compromise. i will not be posting articles anymore if ever because it is work for me and some that disagree with me take little shots or comments i will not like and i find it disrespectful. i am trying to explain myself which i do without owing anyone anything but i am  probably digging my whole deeper.

So what if we beats Ole Miss and Samford, what's that going to prove? absolutely nothing. People will say where y'all are supposed to be Ole Miss in Samford no big deal. But if you lose to them and then lose to Georgia and Bammer, then I'm sure all the Gus backers will be thrilled with another 5 or 6 loss season. In fact, maybe after this season, they'll give Gus another 7 million dollar raise and extend his contract for another 10 years.

On 10/28/2019 at 12:40 PM, WalkingCarpet said:

1. Anyone's guess after this.

Another loss to Wisky in a bowl game

2 hours ago, shabby said:

Auburn seems to play very well at home. I see toss up games against both Georgia and Alabama

Tua will likely be fine for the IB. It won't be a tossup especially if they beat LSU.

On 10/28/2019 at 1:01 PM, AUCE05 said:

But our chicken littles hurt us recruiting.  

Prove it Mr. know it all.

5 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

Tua will likely be fine for the IB. It won't be a tossup especially if they beat LSU.

I think Burrows not Tua is the best qb we will face this year and we held LSU pretty well. we play better at home. i think we have a shot

On 10/28/2019 at 12:01 PM, AUCE05 said:

"Prove it Mr. know it all."--ChltteTiger

The "chicken little" quote made me go "Hmmmm", too.  You could flip it and also think, as Flex stated in his last post, that some recruits are watching how personnel are being (non)/used and draw the same conclusion.  Too much of that or the thought of too little development I fear will ultimately hurt recruiting worse.

1. Gus has already said our offense is on him and will get better. Raise your hand if you've heard this before.

2. We beat Ole Piss and Sanford just bc we have way more talent than both.

3. Uga is a toss up, but my fear is we find a way to pull a rabbit out and beat them. See 2018 ATM game where we barely won and saved Gus' job. This will save Gus' job and we the fans Will have to sit in the dentist chair again next year and have the equivalent of our teeth all being extracted one by one!

4. We Will hang with Bama until our defense gets too tired to stop them, and will all be wishing we had a legitimate coach to equal the talent of our team.

Same ole same ole to look forward to from Gus. 😭

• WarTiger changed the title to What’s next after loss to LSU?
11 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:
On 10/28/2019 at 12:01 PM, AUCE05 said:

"Prove it Mr. know it all."--ChltteTiger

The "chicken little" quote made me go "Hmmmm", too.  You could flip it and also think, as Flex stated in his last post, that some recruits are watching how personnel are being (non)/used and draw the same conclusion.  Too much of that or the thought of too little development I fear will ultimately hurt recruiting worse.

I do think the whole "Recruits will be driven away by our assinine message board battles" is a tad funny.  I mean, I can imagine some recruits & players read us....then kick back, open a bag of funions and break out the latest X-Box game and completely forget we exist.  I imagine they have a LOT more to worry about than that punk 72 and his stupid opinions.

I can see a recruit now... Well, they're in the SEC, they play a high caliber schedule, they can help me realize my dream of reaching the NFL or getting my education....but those message board fans.  They're mean.  I can't possibly go to Auburn. 

I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong.  But if so....is Auburn recruiting marshmallows?

1 hour ago, ChltteTiger said:

Another loss to Wisky in a bowl game

It better not be in the Outback bowl. Free bloomin' onion day is a holiday in my house. 

Roll the dice. The odds are about the same each time with thUGA and the turds. 

Archived