What lsu said after their win against Auburn

aubiefifty

al.com

What Ed Orgeron, Joe Burrow said after LSU’s 23-20 win against Auburn

Posted Oct 26, 2019

5-7 minutes

Auburn Football

Auburn’s dubious losing streak in Tiger Stadium was extended once again Saturday, as Gus Malzahn’s team fell to LSU, 23-20.

Auburn has now lost 10 straight in Death Valley since its last win there in 1999, and this loss came after a stellar defensive performance was spoiled by an uninspired and stagnant offense. After the game, LSU coach Ed Orgeron -- who is now 3-0 against Auburn -- and quarterback Joe Burrow met with the media. Here’s a look at what they had to say about the game:

ED ORGERON, LSU coach

Opening statement...

“What a tremendous team win. Give credit to Auburn. What a well-coached football team. They came ready to play. Their defensive line is one of the best defensive lines I have seen. Derrick Brown, Marlon Davidson and Big Kat (Bryant) are tremendous players. Give credit to our offensive line. They hung in there. This wasn’t the prettiest game. We had too many penalties, especially on special teams. We did not play well on special teams and the turnovers were very costly. When they went up 13-10, our defense forced six punts. What an outstanding job by our defense, Coach (Dave) Aranda and the whole staff so we have to five them some credit. Great team win. We’re 8-0 but have a lot of things to work on going into the open date. Going on the road recruiting, but I’m fired up about our football team.”

On Clyde Edwards-Helaire in the second half....

“No question. He had 136 yards rushing, made some key plays and key first downs. It was kind of tough sledding. Passing game was tough sledding. We had some one-on-ones outside, I thought Ja’Marr Chase had a great game, but we just weren’t on point. I think it was because of the pressure, but we were able to run the football, and that made a different.”

On the offensive tempo tiring down Auburn’s defense...

“That was the plan. We wanted to go tempo as much as we could. It hurt us a couple of times. We had some penalties. They rotated their lines. I could tell when the second-team line was in there, we were moving the football. Give credit to coach (Steve) Ensminger with a great gameplan.”

On having to win games like this to win a championship...

“You have to. No question. I think a lesser team would not have won that game. (Auburn) came to play. Adversity hit us. We weren’t playing very well in the first half. They got up ahead, but our guys kept on fighting. You should have seen this locker room. They were calm in this locker room. There was confidence and we felt like we were going to win the game. Joe (Burrow) felt he was going to win the game, and we did.”

JOE BURROW, LSU quarterback

On facing Auburn’s defense...

“They came out in a defense that we haven’t seen from them or anyone else this season. It took us a while to get used to what they were doing and figure out how to attack it in the second half. We got that run game going.”

On recovering from a big hit early on...

“I think that if a quarterback shows toughness, it can really get the team going. That’s what I try to do every day in the weight room and on the field. If you lay down on the field and don’t hop back up, it shows the team that you’re not really into it.”

On his rushing touchdown...

“I thought it was a great call. We got in empty in the red zone, and we knew what they were going to give us. They gave us a 4-0 box and ended up playing cover two. It ended up being wide open for me; the O-line did a great job opening it up for me by letting those pass-rushers run by.”

On the importance of this game...

“We showed toughness today. It wasn’t pretty by any means, but SEC games aren’t going to be pretty. When you come out with a win and still feel you could have played better, it’s a pretty good thing.”

On the matchups in the passing game...

“They were putting a lot on people on the boundaries to try to stop Ja’Marr because they know we like to attack one-on-one matchups on the boundary. They were giving us easy throws in the middle of the field on slants. In the second half we figured we would just run the ball, and we ended up with almost 200 yards. The O-line did a great job and you have to give credit to Thaddeus (Moss); he blocked his tail off against guys who are 40-50 pounds bigger.”

On the team’s balance on offense and defense...

“We have a very talented team and great players, so we can win 7-6 and 70-60, too. We have great players all over the field and great guys all around.”

On facing Alabama after the bye week...

“I’ll have to get into the film room and see. I’m focused on celebrating this win right now. This is a top-10 win against a really good football team, so we are going to celebrate this one for a while. I think we are a much better team than last year. I think we’re a lot more explosive and the defense is really starting to click on all cylinders. I’m excited to get back to work this week and fine-tune some things that we have not been very good at.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

Archived