LSU favored by 12.5

aubiefifty

om

Auburn opens as double-digit underdog for top-10 matchup with LSU

Updated Oct 20, 2019; Posted Oct 20, 2019

2 minutes

Auburn Football

Getty Images

AUBURN, AL - SEPTEMBER 15: The Auburn Tigers offense lines up against the LSU Tigers defense at Jordan-Hare Stadium on September 15, 2018 in Auburn, Alabama. (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

Auburn opened as a double-digit underdog for its upcoming top-10 matchup with LSU.

According to VegasInsider.com, No. 2 LSU is favored by 12.5 points against No. 9 Auburn. The teams will square off in Baton Rouge, La., on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. with the game broadcast on CBS.

Auburn, which is coming off a 51-10 win against Arkansas to move back into the top-10 of the AP poll, has not won in Death Valley in two decades. The program’s last win at Tiger Stadium came in 1999, when Tommy Tuberville’s team came away with a 41-7 win, but Auburn has lost nine consecutive games in the vaunted venue since then.

LSU leads the all-time series between the two SEC West rivals, 30-22-1, and has won each of the last two meetings. Auburn is just 2-4 against LSU under Gus Malzahn, with the last win coming in 2016, when Daniel Carlson’s six field goals lifted Auburn to an 18-13 win at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

Don't think LSU has that great a Defense, so I think we score points.  Game comes down to how well we affect the QB with our Dline.  I think we have a damn good chance to win this game if we were at home or neutral field, but will be difficult at LSU... gotta play mistake free and take the crowd out early.  Big #5 needs to come to eat QB!

also if we take the lead we need to break out that killer instinct to put the game away and not give them a chance to come back. and with folks saying we do not stand a chance i hope auburn has a "hold my beer moment". i want this one worse than bama to be honest. not talking dirty but we need to out "mean" lsu.

Good thing about the 11:00 vs Arky was allowing opportunity to see upcoming rival games. Came away from Saturday really liking our chances with GA and Bammer in JHS this year. We can play as well as anyone with LSU but will take some kind of effort in BR. Do not bet on college football but would jump on 12.5 if I did.

9 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i want this one worse than bama to be honest.

Hope you are just saying that because it is big and next fidy. Get sick of taking a walk down beach and hearing "rawl tahd" directed at my Auburn hat. Amplified on years they win. New LED light show pre kick off Saturday night had Bryant Denny looking like an 80's disco club. 

If we play Schwarts, double team the slants, and Joe somehow come down with the flu I think we got a shot. I honestly think we will play them closer then Florida did. Despite the loss, we are the better team. We are playing at 2:30 which didn’t work out in the swamp but it’s definitely better then 6pm with those Cajuns. 

3 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Hope you are just saying that because it is big and next fidy. Get sick of taking a walk down beach and hearing "rawl tahd" directed at my Auburn hat. Amplified on years they win. New LED light show pre kick off Saturday night had Bryant Denny looking like an 80's disco club. 

want me to come down salty so we can give the turd fans a geezer beat down?  lol i will be right behind you brother........lol

Our LBs better eat their Wheaties and get ready to cover slants and seams.

Not sure if anyone else noticed, but LSU had one play they ran over and over against Ms St. PA where TE blocks for one second then rolls out to the flats coupled with a double move on the outside. Play worked 3 times that I saw. 

Tried finding LSU forum comments about the game but most of their forums seem dead or uninterested in this game. Their score prediction thread had us losing by 17+

I think most LSU fans really like this game/series because we are so similar in most years. This year, however, I think most LSU fans have this game as an automatic win and are looking forward to Alabama. 
As far as the line, I think it should be around 14 by game time. Their strengths on O are our weakness on defense. It could get ugly quick. LSU at this point is probably the best team in the country along with OSU. Hopefully both will lose this weekend! One can dream, right? 

12 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I think most LSU fans really like this game/series because we are so similar in most years. This year, however, I think most LSU fans have this game as an automatic win and are looking forward to Alabama. 
As far as the line, I think it should be around 14 by game time. Their strengths on O are our weakness on defense. It could get ugly quick. LSU at this point is probably the best team in the country along with OSU. Hopefully both will lose this weekend! One can dream, right? 

We can only hope the TEAM feels the same.

They don't.....but we gotta grasp at hope!

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

also if we take the lead we need to break out that killer instinct to put the game away and not give them a chance to come back. and with folks saying we do not stand a chance i hope auburn has a "hold my beer moment". i want this one worse than bama to be honest. not talking dirty but we need to out "mean" lsu.

What is this "killer instinct" you speak of? 

Just now, AuburnEagle79 said:

What is this "killer instinct" you speak of? 

not sure if you are being funny or not. how about if we get a lead we keep pouring it on? that we keep pounding on them with no mercy. i want them to play like they are tired as hell of losing in death valley. we need to play against them like leonard fournette did against us a few years ago. we could barely tackle him and players just seemed to bounce off of him when they tried to engage him. THAT is killer instinct. we need that mind set. does that help any?

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

not sure if you are being funny or not. how about if we get a lead we keep pouring it on? that we keep pounding on them with no mercy. i want them to play like they are tired as hell of losing in death valley. we need to play against them like leonard fournette did against us a few years ago. we could barely tackle him and players just seemed to bounce off of him when they tried to engage him. THAT is killer instinct. we need that mind set. does that help any?

Definitely sarcasm. I'd lose my mind if we came out against an elite team and just throttled them like Clemson did Bama. I don't know if it's in our coaches DNA, but I sure hope it happens. 

A reminder...

Vegas betting lines are designed to "even up" the money bet on each team. Think of betting lines as a popular conception contest. Are these contests accurate predictors? Sometimes. But...South Carolina at Georgia and Wisconsin at Illinois (and while I'm at it, last year's CFP Championship between bammer and Auburn with a Lake) say predictor be damned, anything can happen.

Always to conquer. Never to yield.

Believe in our AU Tigers.

War DAMN Eagle!

3 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

A reminder...

Vegas betting lines are designed to "even up" the money bet on each team. Think of betting lines as a popular conception contest. Are these contests accurate predictors? Sometimes. But...South Carolina at Georgia and Wisconsin at Illinois (and while I'm at it, last year's CFP Championship between bammer and Auburn with a Lake) say predictor be damned, anything can happen.

This is what baffles me the most.  How few people realize this.   The "line" on a game has nothing to do with anything other than getting people to bet on both sides.   Now obviously if one team is a heavy favorite then it is obvious they are "favored to win".   But the line is not a straight up prediction of the outcome of a game.

10 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

10.5 now. I imagine it’ll be around 8 by Saturday 

That means the $$$ is flooding Auburn's direction.

On 10/22/2019 at 12:40 AM, CleCoTiger said:

A reminder...

Always to conquer. Never to yield.

Believe in our AU Tigers.

War DAMN Eagle!

Working overtime this week. 

On 10/22/2019 at 4:28 AM, bssford460 said:

This is what baffles me the most.  How few people realize this.   The "line" on a game has nothing to do with anything other than getting people to bet on both sides.   Now obviously if one team is a heavy favorite then it is obvious they are "favored to win".   But the line is not a straight up prediction of the outcome of a game.

Literally everyone realizes this. Like you said, it's obvious that Auburn losing is the more likely outcome. 

On 10/22/2019 at 3:28 AM, bssford460 said:

99 percent of the forum gets this lol. This does not change the fact that LSU has played like a team that is two scores better than us. My homerism is the only reason I am predicting a miracle!

Archived