Shivers - Over-hyped or improperly utilized?

dyehardfanAU

49 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

As far as the fumbling issue from last night. I love boobie, but letting one guy fumble and not get in the dog house and letting others have 1 fumble and they meet the doghouse, that just aggravates me. Boobie is a hell of a player, but with his amount of fumbles, don’t put other guys in the “dog house” when they fumble 1 time!

I certainly could be wrong but I actually sense that Gus hasn't been so quick with the doghouse (for fumbling) as in previous years.  I mean, several guys have fumbled but are still playing (last night's a perfect example).

It's an example of the "against the grain" coaching that's got me highly considering feeling a bit cocky going into UF.

Fumbles are bad but I'm glad to see the Offense not losing their top players due to such stubbornness. 

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, bigbird said:

I think DJ would be 3-4

Right - I don't know who's faster between he and Boobie. 

CAP ran a 4.53 at the combine. I think Boobie would run something close to that time with the same combine prep. 

5 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I certainly could be wrong but I actually sense that Gus hasn't been so quick with the doghouse (for fumbling) as in previous years.  I mean, several guys have fumbled but are still playing (last night's a perfect example).

It's an example the "against the grain" coaching that's got me highly considering feeling a bit cocky going into UF.

Fumbles are bad but I'm glad to see the Offense not losing their top players due to such stubbornness. 

I totally get that! Just for me, shivers should’ve gotten more touches, but when he fumbles and we don’t see him again, that’s worriesome. If a guy fumbles once, go back to him and give him confidence, when a guy fumbles like boobee And u You don’t do the same after putting everyone else on the bench after they fumble, that can send a wrong message.

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

I totally get that! Just for me, shivers should’ve gotten more touches, but when he fumbles and we don’t see him again, that’s worriesome. If a guy fumbles once, go back to him and give him confidence, when a guy fumbles like boobee And u don’t give You don’t do the same after putting everyone else on the bench after they fumble, that can send a wrong message.

I mean it's not like he fumbled 3 times in a game...:-X

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Yeah she could!

And she’s 90, 100lbs soaking wet. She’s a hard worker tho. I have to hold her down almost to keep her from cutting the grass 😂

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Dang, was it really 3?

BW is almost at Fannin status in terms of fumbles, not taking anything away from him as a player, as he is a hell of one, I just don’t like the different standards

I totally get that! Just for me, shivers should’ve gotten more touches, but when he fumbles and we don’t see him again, that’s worriesome. If a guy fumbles once, go back to him and give him confidence, when a guy fumbles like boobee And u don’t give You don’t do the same after putting everyone else on the bench after they fumble, that can send a wrong message.

Totally agree. 

I'm just wondering if it's baby-steps.  He's been such a stubborn mule about certain things that it may just take a bit of time.  I'm just hoping that, like other positive developments this year (so far), it's a sign of Gus taking what his coaches are telling him and not poo-pooing them.  I suspect Caddy might even have used himself as the example. 

Worm did disappear after the fumble but maybe next time it happens....he won't disappear. 

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

BW is almost at Fannin status in terms of fumbles, not taking anything away from him as a player, as he is a hell of one, I just don’t like the different standards

Remember what happened to Roc Thomas?

And she’s 90, 100lbs soaking wet. She’s a hard worker tho. I have to hold her down almost to keep her from cutting the grass 😂

At 90, mine still weeds her garden and cuts the grass herself. I wouldn't dare try and stop her.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

At 90, mine still weeds her garden and cuts the grass herself. I wouldn't dare try and stop her.

I bought the house next to her after I got out of auburn, started cutting her grass. One day, I was at work and was dreading cutting grass when I got home since I cut both our yards. She had cut both and said “I didn’t want u to cut grass after u got off work”. She still does her yard work but I’ve finally got her off of cutting grass lol

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

As far as the fumbling issue from last night. I love boobie, but letting one guy fumble and not get in the dog house and letting others have 1 fumble and they meet the doghouse, that just aggravates me. Boobie is a hell of a player, but with his amount of fumbles, don’t put other guys in the “dog house” when they fumble 1 time!

It will make Boobie a better back to have another player on his heels pushing for playing time that can fill a similar role.

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

Btw I was never ever disagreeing with this point last night .

On 9/27/2019 at 2:45 PM, AuburnTiger4Life said:

He has looked great on the touches he has gotten and I’m glad his speed is starting to be utilized more. No reason to believe he was overhyped. I see why momma worm left this board...

Im still here reading these dumb a$& comments lol! Im just not entertaining them. To the people that dont like him.... he’s damned if does, damned if he doesn’t. He’s been at AU for 2yrs and has never fumbled the ball or been hurt.... But when people dont like you, you cant change their minds so who cares what little minded people think. Hey they’ve never played a down of football in their life, let alone SEC ball. They are what we call couch coaches living through these kids. Even when he does well they still have something negative to say🤷🏾‍♀️

Yes, people on a message board are couch coaches, kinda the basis of the board for discussions.  Parents are couch coaches as well who are a bit biased.    It is ok and how things are meant to be.  No reason to throw stones and insult posters.

it has nothing to do with liking your son or not as a person, not once has anyone ever questioned how well you brought him up and the great job you did.

5 hours ago, Momma Worm said:

Im still here reading these dumb a$& comments lol! Im just not entertaining them. To the people that dont like him.... he’s damned if does, damned if he doesn’t. He’s been at AU for 2yrs and has never fumbled the ball or been hurt.... But when people dont like you, you cant change their minds so who cares what little minded people think. Hey they’ve never played a down of football in their life, let alone SEC ball. They are what we call couch coaches living through these kids. Even when he does well they still have something negative to say🤷🏾‍♀️

Momma Worm, just like in our daily lives, you just have to ignore some folks and say “bless their hearts”. Worm will get his chances and I for one look forward to him making the most of those chances. Give him our love and a hearty War Eagle!!!

Averaged 5.5 yards per carry Saturday against a typically stout SEC defense. He’d be a 1500+ yard back in the AAC/Sun Belt/ACC/MWC and hell even some offenses in the PAC-12.

That being said, I can’t imagine a scenario where Gus is using Shiv as the premier back. Not saying he can’t or shouldn’t but based off how he’s been used so far I don’t see it. We have a deep backfield and honestly I hope we get to where they’re legitimately evenly dividing carries between 3-4 backs.

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

That being said, I can’t imagine a scenario where Gus is using Shiv as the premier back. Not saying he can’t or shouldn’t but based off how he’s been used so far I don’t see it

The way he is being used now, he's just too small. He has been tackled with one hand more than once this year. He is a space player, not a between the tackle guy. He is not being used right because he needs plays to get him out in open space and go 1 on 1 with a safety or CB. Thats where he could become a weapon. Hell, line him up in the slot with schwartz and williams out wide on the other side, and sal wide on the slot side to block...anything to get him out in the open....as far as comparing him to OMac, OMac had a much better Oline than shivers has

2 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

The way he is being used now, he's just too small. He has been tackled with one hand more than once this year. He is a space player, not a between the tackle guy. He is not being used right because he needs plays to get him out in open space and go 1 on 1 with a safety or CB. Thats where he could become a weapon. Hell, line him up in the slot with schwartz and williams out wide on the other side, and sal wide on the slot side to block...anything to get him out in the open....as far as comparing him to OMac, OMac had a much better Oline than shivers has

Hard disagree. That honestly sounds like an opinion that was formed before the season started.

Archived