Shivers - Over-hyped or improperly utilized?

dyehardfanAU

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Viper said:

Finally question answered.

No offense to KMart but it would've been great to see DJ get those carries with the 1st team offense.

13 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

No offense to KMart but it would've been great to see DJ get those carries with the 1st team offense.

I'm sort of a DJ fan but was lead to believe that he has been hurt enough not to play.  JMO but he has the ability to take plays away from Boobee and Kmart with the result of a more even split a carries between him and Boobee.    

Just now, AU64 said:

I'm sort of a DJ fan but was lead to believe that he has been hurt enough not to play.  JMO but he has the ability to take plays away from Boobee and Kmart with the result of a more even split a carries between him and Boobee.    

Definitely showed the potential for that last night. 

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

If he can decently pass block he should move ahead of KMart and take most of his carries.  DJ got 8+ yards each his first 3 carries, KMart got 8 yards total on his first 6.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Very limited sample size but he looks like our best RB to me, JMO.

29 minutes ago, fredst said:

Very limited sample size but he looks like our best RB to me, JMO.

I was impressed with him at A-Day...which is also a small sample size I guess....but the guy just seems to find the hole and deliver a hit...

People aren't satisfied with what Whitlow is accomplishing while being RB#1? He's finding holes, breaking tackles, blocking and in general doing a fine job. I think he's the starter for a reason and there doesn't appear to be anybody in the wings that is better. DJ looked good against their reserves while running with our reserves and could be #2 but he's a way back due to injury and inexperience.

10 minutes ago, Mikey said:

People aren't satisfied with what Whitlow is accomplishing while being RB#1? He's finding holes, breaking tackles, blocking and in general doing a fine job. I think he's the starter for a reason and there doesn't appear to be anybody in the wings that is better. DJ looked good against their reserves while running with our reserves and could be #2 but he's a way back due to injury and inexperience.

Best player on the team is always on the bench. 

15 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Agree....DJ is behind right now but lots of the season to go and I expect he will be seeing more playing time at the expense of Kmart...but not necessarily Shivers who I see as a different type of back.   Don't know how good Shivers is catching the ball but if he has good hands, could be an interesting guy to work into the screens and wheel routes.

JMO but right now we have more good players at RB and WR than is practical to work in to the offense of a game.   Bo needs to get time with the same "crew" so they know each other and what to expect. 

40 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Strawman alert.  

44 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Wow, actually agree here somewhat.  Whitlow is way undervalued and is getting better every game.  I'd like to see him secure the ball the rest of the season though. Once DJ is fully healthy and has good command of the playbook, he'll get more reps.  Shivers looked good until the fumble. Glad to see Kmart score a TD. I just want Whitlow healthy for the entire season.  So far, Gus has been pretty good about not over using him.  And he's been really good out of the wildcat.

I think Boobee is running the wildcat as good as anyone could.

I’m plenty satisfied with Whitlow (although his blitz pickup has been sketchy at times). I think DJ (again, small sample size) looks like the more natural RB. I think they could be a great pair and with multiple other quality options. Not too concerned about RB depth honestly

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I agree with you.

The depth chart is 1. Whitlow; 2. KMart/Shivers, 3. Williams. 

Joiner and Miller have situational roles.

I believe it is set this way for a reason. 

Whitlow has done extraordinary, especially considering that he is also still learning the position. Even if Williams is our second best guy,  his skill set is too similar to Whitlow's. KMart and Shivers will stay ahead of him because they bring something different to the table. 

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 1:33 PM, dyehardfanAU said:

Dude seems like more of a speed back, great for sweeps and screens.  However Gus seems to be primarily utilizing him as a feature back.  I can't get a read on whether he is an SEC caliber back and am curious to hear some opinions.

In talking AU backs with Kam Pettway the other day, he said Shivers is a beast...just small. 

9 minutes ago, 1913-14 said:

In talking AU backs with Kam Pettway the other day, he said Shivers is a beast...just small. 

He's not the only former player to say that. 

16 minutes ago, 1913-14 said:

Speaking of Pett, I saw a pic on his IG that he was on the field last night. Did they do something to honor a previous team?

10 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Speaking of Pett, I saw a pic on his IG that he was on the field last night. Did they do something to honor a previous team?

He was  guest signer in the autograph tent.

18 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He's not the only former player to say that. 

He had a few other things to say...I'll get with you later

58 minutes ago, 1913-14 said:

If I am not too late to the party, I would love to know as well if I could be included on the PM.

I saw him on the field last night.  He seems to be doing well from a simple fan’s perspective.  

18 minutes ago, abw0004 said:
1 hour ago, 1913-14 said:

If I am not too late to the party, I would love to know as well if I could be included on the PM.

I saw him on the field last night.  He seems to be doing well from a simple fan’s perspective.  

I say... PM ALL of us 😎

Archived