Shivers - Over-hyped or improperly utilized?

dyehardfanAU

Dude seems like more of a speed back, great for sweeps and screens.  However Gus seems to be primarily utilizing him as a feature back.  I can't get a read on whether he is an SEC caliber back and am curious to hear some opinions.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he's capable of being a feature back. I don't think he will be used that way here. I think he'll be used sparingly and on a handful of less conventional plays. Just like KMart. 

He's got acceleration, pop, low center of gravity, balance, leg drive, vision, and obviously the best top end speed of any RB we've had since Cory Grant. In fact, he's Cory Grant and OMac with all of the things that those guys didn't have except prototypical size. And the size that he's at actually has several advantages between the tackles. 

But Gus wants to identify his 3-down guy and run him into the ground. That's obviously Boobee, at least until Williams is good to go. Yeah, TAMU was a step in the right direction, but Boobee still got over 15 carries in one half of work.

Just hoping Caddy can convince Gus to give Worm (and KMart) more work. 

5 minutes ago, alexava said:

Neither over hyped or improperly used. 

If you take out the Kent State game he's averaging a little under 2 YPC.  That leads me to believe it's one or the other.

4 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

If you take out the Kent State game he's averaging a little under 2 YPC.  That leads me to believe it's one or the other.

Who is overhyping him?

Gus has shown that he isn't trying to run anyone into the ground this season.  That was evident in the TAMU game as well as Kent State.  In both games, at least 4 running backs got touches and the other two games three running backs received touches.  I will concede that for the Oregon game, Whitlow was run way too much and they adjusted after that.  That is all you can ask for really.  In regards to Worm in particular, I think it speaks a lot about his potential to start last week.  I am excited for the big things in store for him in the future.  I would like to see more pass protection and that is simply more experience needed.

The first part of the season we were bound and determined to bunch up in the box and run into a packed box. We have finally opened up the offense a little, creating space to run, and Shivers is still a young back learning how to use his gifts at the collegiate level. He's going to be a threat for us, IMHO.

Didn't he average over 5yards per carry as a TFr? Didn't he run right through the Alabama defense for a TD?

Just now, AUinfusion said:

Didn't he run right through the Alabama defense for a TD?

It should have been.  It was called back for a holding penalty on a player that was behind Shivers already and had zero impact on the play.  I still remember Shivers face when he realized it was being called back.  Devastating. 

He’s a true sophomore right?  To me he’s becoming he clear #2 behind boobee and probably will get the first touches tomorrow.  Even though he is small in stature the dude is stout.  I think the #1 reason he doesn’t get more playing time is the same reason a lot of the backs don’t see more time and that’s pass blocking.  Worm is probably the most explosive back Auburn has and will probably break one off against someone before the years over.  Maybe tomorrow?

Shivers and Joiner have seen their usage increase almost weekly. I don't see any indication that we're going away from Shaun, and I have every reason to believe he's going to start breaking some of these. He did it last year, and he's been close this year. Just need to stick with it. I'd love to see us throw the ball to him in the screen game. That's the one adjustment I'd like to see. 

56 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Dude seems like more of a speed back, great for sweeps and screens.  However Gus seems to be primarily utilizing him as a feature back.  I can't get a read on whether he is an SEC caliber back and am curious to hear some opinions.

IMO,  both.  I do not think over hyped so much as much as over hopeful.  With Momma S on this board,  people started hoping he would be the next Mini-Bo-Jackson.  As it turns out he is just  an extremely talented back with unique skills that a lot of us would like to see on the field more because we have this imaginary connection with Momma S.  That said his unique skills are under-utilized 

1 hour ago, dyehardfanAU said:

A little bit of both.

Over hyped b/c some on here think he is better than Boobie, but I haven't found out where he excels better other than he MIGHT run faster.  I also don't see him as an every down back. He doesnt have the ability to be elusive. His body type allows him to be quicker on straight away speed, but he seems to go down easier than i expected. His size also makes it hard for him to block those large DEs and blitzing LBs, i have seen on tape.

Under utilized in I think he can be a better used back in the run game. But it looks like he is one of those that gets better w more reps which is not getting. 

Dude has impressed me with his speed........most of all his toughness for lowering his head and running through guys twice his size.......his character goes without saying.........If you pay attention closley a number of his plays get scrapped due to penalties or poor clock management which has resulted in him being substituted........I also think he could carry the ball 30 times a game.........Dudes tough.

I think the A&M game was a big step in getting him more early/quality touches in a game. That being said, he needs more opportunities to rush in between the tackles. Shivers isn’t small, he’s short. Dude is 180lbs at about 5’ 6”. Just take a look at his legs, that man is ripped. 

My opinion is that yes he is fast, but only allowing him perimeter rush attempts is limiting his success in the offense. His height makes it very difficult for linebackers and safeties to track him during the early development of a running play. Using him in Counters and inside zone plays gives him opportunities to catch defenses flat footed. 

That being said, while I don’t like that he is mainly getting perimeter roles, I do like that they are pairing him with Gatewood. Hell we even ran him with Nix on some inverted veer plays early against A&M. I want to see more.

25 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

With Momma S on this board,  people started hoping he would be the next Mini-Bo-Jackson.  As it turns out he is just  an extremely talented back with unique skills that a lot of us would like to see on the field more because we have this imaginary connection with Momma S.

That might be true for you and a few others. In my case it's wrong and I'm guessing it's wrong with regards most others who would like to see him play more.

Momma was just icing on the cake and it's beyond infuriating that some dumbass ran her off. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

That might be true for you and a few others. In my case it's wrong and I'm guessing it's wrong with regards most others who would like to see him play more.

Momma was just icing on the cake and it's beyond infuriating that some dumbass ran her off. 

That dude is a prime candidate for “When keeping it real goes wrong”.

Take out the Kent State game and he's had 4, 1 and 6 carries. You can't seriously be suggesting that we have a remotely decent read on his ability to run the ball. 

2 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

That dude is a prime candidate for “When keeping it real goes wrong”.

May have missed this but her account is still active and she posted as recently as a week ago.  I know she mentioned she would get off but she posted as late as a week ago.  I expect with the season starting she doesn't have time to talk to us or doesn't want to as it is more hectic.  I am curious of who potentially ran her off.  Do you mind PM'ing me to catch me up?

I considered it a wasted schollie and still do, but he has enough speed and quickness that he can still find a place in the offense, that place has to be developed by the coaches though. 

I am practicing my "be kind to malzahn" personality so that will be the extent of my comments. I said that if he won 8 games with this poor O-line and rookie QB I would get off of him. Looks like he will get 8 unless he goes full Gus at some point. I didn't say I would be happy with him, just quiet. We can do a lot worse and probably would

Seriously underutilized.  He's a Darren Sproles type of player with a little more toughness via the inside running game.  Use him as such.  We do a terrible job getting him the ball in space.

I love seeing Shivers run (not just because of Momma Worm either) because he is a fall forward guy and you know he's a threat to take it to the house in a way Boobie isn't. He just needs more experience at this level letting on when to let the play develop and when to hit the hole and get what you can. It was something that took KJ years to learn, but he became a freaking master at it and Worm could very well do the same.

32 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

He has looked great on the touches he has gotten and I’m glad his speed is starting to be utilized more. No reason to believe he was overhyped. I see why momma worm left this board...

people ran mama off? this makes me sad. she was a class act and so is her son.

Archived