Prepping for duo of dual-threat quarterbacks

aubiefifty

Auburn preps for Mississippi State duo of dual-threat quarterbacks

Updated Sep 25, 2019; Posted Sep 25, 2019

With Mississippi State in a “fluid” quarterback situation, Gus Malzahn said Auburn is preparing for two quarterbacks on Saturday in the 6 p.m. game at Jordan-Hare.

At the beginning of the season, Mississippi State named Tommy Stevens its starter, but he was injured in the second game against Southern Mississippi and freshman Garrett Shrader led the Bulldogs to the win.

Stevens returned in the third week to play against Kansas State, but Shrader replaced him in the third and then started the next game against Kentucky.

Shrader went 17-of-22 for 180 yards and rushed for 125 yards on 11 carries against the Wildcats. His performance earned him SEC freshman of the week and had reporters asking Moorhead if he has to decide during the week leading up to the Auburn game who his starter is.

“It is a fluid situation,” Moorhead replied. He said he wasn’t trying to be evasive, but the injury Stevens is recovering from this week is different than the one he sustained against Southern Mississippi.

“It was still an upper-body injury, but it was a little different than what he had the week before,” Moorhead said. “As the week went on, he just wasn’t able to go.”

Moorhead said Stevens will practice in some capacity Tuesday, but if he isn’t ready, Shrader will be the starter.

Malzahn is preparing for both, either way. Luckily, the two quarterbacks play with a similar style, and Malzahn said he anticipates the game plan to be similar no matter which is back there in the pocket.

“They’re going to run the quarterback a little bit, regardless, whichever quarterback’s there,” Malzahn said. “We’re expecting to possibly see both, but there are some similarities. They’re going to run their quarterback.”

Stevens, who went 20-of-30 for 236 yards and two touchdowns against Louisiana and rushed for 37 yards on 11 carries, is a transfer from Penn State where he was the backup quarterback to Trace McSorley.

Penn State tried to utilize Stevens’s running ability by creating a position for him called “The Lion.” It was essentially a Swiss Army Knife position, where Stevens acted as quarterback, running back, receiver and tight end when he was in. He rushed for 506 yards and eight touchdowns, 62 receiving yards and two touchdowns, and 304 passing yards and four touchdowns during his three years as a Nittany Lion.

Although Stevens has the advantage of experience, Shrader has a maturity beyond his years that plays to his advantage.

“In my mind, I don’t view him [as a freshman],” Moorhead said. “I know he is a freshman, but his approach and his experience belies that fact. I think he plays a little more mature than most true freshmen.”

Shrader was a consensus four-star recruit out of North Carolina. Like Stevens, he established his skill as a passer and a runner.

During his high school career, he rushed for 2,205 yards and 32 touchdowns and passed for 2,594 yards and 29 touchdowns. Since taking over for Stevens, Shrader has rushed for 223 yards on 30 carries and thrown for 302 yards.

If Stevens isn’t physically ready to play, the point is moot, but until he’s declared inactive, Moorhead is unwilling to declare one the starter, so Auburn has to prepare for both.

“I think it is contingent upon where Tommy is at and how healthy he is and what we need the quarterback position to do to win this game and be 1-0 this week,” Moorhead said. “As always, we want to do what’s best for the team first but also be mindful of the individual, as well. We’ll do that this case.”

Archived