linebackers quietly doing their job

aubiefifty

Auburn linebackers quietly doing their job

Updated Sep 25, 2019; Posted Sep 25, 2019

4-5 minutes

The Auburn linebackers have been getting the job done — so efficiently that they’ve barely been talked about.

Everyone talks about the run defense, which is holding opponents to 89 rushing yards per game. But the linebackers as a group have not been singled out for their contributions like the defensive line has, with its three straight SEC weekly honors.

Even the linebackers give credit to the defensive line.

“You just look at the guys up front, man, they do a good job,” linebacker K.J. Britt said after the Texas A&M win. “They just make everything bounce back, no direct runs.”

But when a rusher does slip past the defensive line, he’s been shut down by the hard-nosed, physical linebackers waiting for him.

They give credit to the line, but the linebackers have expressed pride in the part they’ve played in keeping rushers to 3.09 yards per carry.

“In the SEC, you've got to stop the run to win,” Britt said. “Everybody knows that. It's not even a secret. What we're doing right now, we have to just build on it and do it. Just keep doing it.”

Occasionally, teams have tried to match their running backs with Auburn’s linebackers in passing situations, and the linebackers have played “fantastic,” coach Gus Malzahn said.

Malzahn might not have mentioned the linebackers often, but he said he expected the success they’re having, even though Auburn lost all three of its starting linebackers from 2018.

“Like I told you after spring and fall camp, I didn’t think we were going to have too much, if any, of a letdown and so far we haven’t,” Malzahn said. “Those guys are playing downhill, they’re playing with great physicality, they’re tackling well.”

The group is led by Britt — the junior Mike linebacker who leads with energy. He is second on the team in tackles and third in tackles for loss with 21 total tackles, 11 solo and 3.5 for loss.

Having him out there makes it easier for everyone, sophomore linebacker Zakoby McClain said.

“When he’s out there, he’s helping us out more,” McClain said. “He studies a lot — we study, too — but he knows where they’re going to run at, throw at. He’s like, ‘Zakoby, look right there. Right there. It’s an inside zone.’ So I just go right there and make a play.”

Texas A&M was Britt’s best game since the season-opener. He made seven tackles and was “relentless,” senior safety Javaris Davis said. He’s the perfect example of what the defense’s mindset is.

Sharing time in the middle with Britt is junior Chandler Wooten. He’s had eight tackles with one tackle for loss, and he said he brings a more laid-back attitude to the position. It balances out Britt and creates a “one-two punch,” Wooten said.

The two of them have been waiting for the chance to play next to each other the way they have this year for the Tigers.

“It’s fun, man,” Wooten said. “We’re having a blast. We’re roommates, and so we talk ball all the time. Any time we’re in the room, it’s just talking ball, talking ball, talking ball. We waited for this moment for two years now, and just to see where we came from, and we did it together, so it’s special. It’s special.”

Next to them at the money position are McClain and freshman Owen Pappoe.

McClain saw game time in 2018 as a true freshman, but he’s made a lot of improvement since then.

“He put on a lot of weight, and in the film room he also—you can tell his mind developed a lot from a freshman to a sophomore,” senior safety Daniel Thomas said. “He made a lot of plays for us, so I’m looking forward to seeing him getting better as well.”

Now that he’s a regular part of the rotation, he’s had 12 tackles, one tackle for loss and half a sack.

Pappoe came in as the highest rated recruit of Auburn’s 2019 recruiting class. He didn’t just live up to the hype, he exceeded the hype.

This season, he’s already made 10 tackles, broken up one pass and has three quarterback hurries. Thomas said Pappoe is out there making calls like a veteran. His teammates have expressed excitement for his future and the future of the defense with him in it.

“He wants to continue to get better, as we all do, so I’m excited about his future,” Wooten said.

Most improved unit of the D IMO. And....they're young to boot. I've been the most impressed by the LBs....and Tutt on D. They hit like trucks!

Love what KJBritt and company are doing!

It still remember Britt's commitment Halloween video.  Very tasteful and well put together.  I am very happy he is our leader (and still miss D. Davis at the same time).

25 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

It still remember Britt's commitment Halloween video.  Very tasteful and well put together.  I am very happy he is our leader (and still miss D. Davis at the same time).

Best commitment video ever.

I am not sure the opposing RBs would say they are "quietly doing their job".   snicker-snicker

Ive seen alot of LB units for other elite defenses get spoken about often in the past but ours largely goes unnoticed it feels like, outside of OP occasionally. Hard to give a unit that’s done as good as they’ve bulletin board material, but attempting to reach the same level of praise as the DL? That could be one option 

These guys are gonna have to carry a lot next year! Someone who knows way more than me might comment on how Steele could feature them even more next year!

They’ve done well so far. They’re tackling well in space. They’re really going to have to step up against Miss. state because Hill and Schader will make you pay

To my untrained eye.......it seems the LBs and the secondary have really been making good tackles, especially in space.

Hard to think of a big ply the opposing team has had because of a missed tackle.

1 minute ago, hikerdns said:

To my untrained eye.......it seems the LBs and the secondary have really been making good tackles, especially in space.

Hard to think of a big ply the opposing team has had because of a missed tackle.

Smoke monday whiffed for a TD to give aTm hope.  That was the only one I can really think of.

6 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Smoke monday whiffed for a TD to give aTm hope.  That was the only one I can really think of.

True...good catch. We'll call him rusty from the 1st half suspension ; )

Both MSU quarterbacks are big guys ( 6'4, 6'5)  and run the ball.  LBs will have to do a better job than last year.  Off to a good start but will have their biggest challenge of the year this game. 

I expected Mond to be an issue last week but seems Jimbo has about taken him out of their running game. 

51 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Both MSU quarterbacks are big guys ( 6'4, 6'5)  and run the ball.  LBs will have to do a better job than last year.  Off to a good start but will have their biggest challenge of the year this game. 

I expected Mond to be an issue last week but seems Jimbo has about taken him out of their running game. 

LBs are going to do a better job because the DL is going to do a better job because the offense is going to do a better job :)

(And also these LBs are more athletic and the experience dropoff has already diminished significantly and our DL is still awful salty about last year. And our offense looks much improved, but also MSU's defense likely isn't nearly as good as last year, which should lead to less time our D has to spend on the field and less ability for MSU to dictate the pace of the game.)

1 hour ago, ValleyTiger said:

So quiet we playin air guitar out there...

3bb494.gif

Saw that air guitar from the stands...hahah! Didnt know if it made it on TV.

Fun stuff.

Archived