Miss State breakout game for BO?

aubiefifty

you have to think, its going to click for him on the long balls soon, and when it does everything else is going to open up. seems like Nix getting touch on those deep throws is the missing piece right now.

1 hour ago, fasttimes said:

you have to think, its going to click for him on the long balls soon, and when it does everything else is going to open up. seems like Nix getting touch on those deep throws is the missing piece right now.

I Agree. if we had hit the three against A&M that game would have been a beat down on them.

Ah ole Vernon. I like Vernon. He tends to see things through orange and blue shaders most of the time. But he's a good guy. I just really hope he stops recording while driving. He hasn't done it lately but he has quite a few of his videos where you can CLEARLY hear he is in the car recording.

• WarTiger changed the title to Miss State breakout game for BO?

If you told me before the season we would be 4-0 with Bo completing just over 50% of his passes, I wouldve thought no way. His running ability I think is really opening up the offense. If he can just start consistently hitting more throws, we are gonna be dangerous.

I just don’t understand him missing those long throws last week all we’re wide open and he was not under much rush.  Once he gets dialed in on those it is really going to help the offense.  Hitting even one of the three would have cleared the stands.  

2 hours ago, weagl1 said:

I just don’t understand him missing those long throws last week all we’re wide open and he was not under much rush.  Once he gets dialed in on those it is really going to help the offense.  Hitting even one of the three would have cleared the stands.  

On two of them, there was pressure as he was releasing the pass. The flea flicker was just an overthrow. 

Gus mentioned in his press confeeence earlier this week that timing is still an issue. Most of the receivers have spent some of the season injured. As the receivers and Bo get reps together, they should start hitting some of those.

Its gotta be a mindset thing.  Right now he sees that wide open receiver and probably panics a little about having to hit the throw.  He needs one or two to hit and his confidence in that throw will come fast.  If Auburn and Bo can do just a little more in the passing game the running game will continue to open up.  Miss State actually has a strong defensive backfield so it’ll be interesting to see how much success he has in the air.

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

Its gotta be a mindset thing.  Right now he sees that wide open receiver and probably panics a little about having to hit the throw.  He needs one or two to hit and his confidence in that throw will come fast.  If Auburn and Bo can do just a little more in the passing game the running game will continue to open up.  Miss State actually has a strong defensive backfield so it’ll be interesting to see how much success he has in the air.

The ugliest mistake a QB can make (with the exception of the JS#8 INT) is to completely miss a would be TD on a wide open guy. It makes fans crazy and fans think "why the heck did he miss that?" As a former QB, let me tell you something...those throws are not easy to make in a pressure situation and until you really get your stride...It can have a massive impact on your confidence. Then instead of just throwing the ball you start thinking abut it. It's all split second but your thought process is " OMG This mofo is streaking wide open...this is a TD for sure. ...I can't miss this like the last time..."  Once he hits a couple of those it will go back to just being second nature and just slinging it. I am glad he is over throwing. I didn't realize his arm was as strong as it is. He threw that ball to Schwartz about 64 yards. and it was on a pretty good rope. I think he could throw 70. That was actually a surprise. War Damn BO

18 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

I'm sorry but the thumbnail for this is like mid-90's photo editing and I love it.

Honestly, I'd be absolutely ecstatic if he came out and had 20+ completions with 3 touchdowns. We would be one absolutely dangerous team moving forward if he put it all together to generate a passing offense and, more importantly to Gus' offense, the big play threat. Most years where our offense has been deadly it's heavily predicated on the qb being a decent running threat (which Bo can do) and being able to extend the defense.

8 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

The ugliest mistake a QB can make (with the exception of the JS#8 INT) is to completely miss a would be TD on a wide open guy. It makes fans crazy and fans think "why the heck did he miss that?" As a former QB, let me tell you something...those throws are not easy to make in a pressure situation and until you really get your stride...It can have a massive impact on your confidence. Then instead of just throwing the ball you start thinking abut it. It's all split second but your thought process is " OMG This mofo is streaking wide open...this is a TD for sure. ...I can't miss this like the last time..."  Once he hits a couple of those it will go back to just being second nature and just slinging it. I am glad he is over throwing. I didn't realize his arm was as strong as it is. He threw that ball to Schwartz about 64 yards. and it was on a pretty good rope. I think he could throw 70. That was actually a surprise. War Damn BO

We've talked a lot about that long TD Jeremy Johnson threw to Jason Smith against Louisville in 2015... that got called back on a penalty. He was having a nightmare of a night and that was the breakthrough play he needed. Until it wasn't. A few of us have opined that that one single play could have set his career on a different trajectory. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

We've talked a lot about that long TD Jeremy Johnson threw to Jason Smith against Louisville in 2015... that got called back on a penalty. He was having a nightmare of a night and that was the breakthrough play he needed. Until it wasn't. A few of us have opined that that one single play could have set his career on a different trajectory. 

No doubt. It can happen. I had a friend that I grew up with. Hell of a baseball player. He was a pitcher. Had a great arm but was know for his Curve and his accuracy. He had scholarship offers already to lot of smaller schools and was starting to get them to bigger schools. I know Ole Miss had offered him. He got rocked in a game late in the year...they just figure him out...and he never regained confidence. He had never given up more than 3-4 hits a game. Shattered his confidence. Ended up joining the Marines. I didn't find out why until years later when we ran into each other. 

I’ve been thinking about this all week. With Auburn buzzing just a bit and playing MSU who embarrassed us badly last year, I’d love nothing more than for Bo to come out with 250 passing and 2-3 TDs. I truly believe at some point it’s all going to come together and I’d love for this to be that game. He was three deep balls from having a completely different stat line last week. I hope he gets it Saturday. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

i still feel sad when i think of jj. all his hopes and dreams pretty much smashed. to this day i wish there was something that could have been done. and i also believe it rattled gus and he might have lost some of his mojo. i mean most of us thought jj was gonna be a monster. fans, coaches, press,pretty much everyone thought he would be good.

6 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

No doubt. It can happen. I had a friend that I grew up with. Hell of a baseball player. He was a pitcher. Had a great arm but was know for his Curve and his accuracy. He had scholarship offers already to lot of smaller schools and was starting to get them to bigger schools. I know Ole Miss had offered him. He got rocked in a game late in the year...they just figure him out...and he never regained confidence. He had never given up more than 3-4 hits a game. Shattered his confidence. Ended up joining the Marines. I didn't find out why until years later when we ran into each other. 

Well at least he joined the right service!! Of course I am a little bit prejudiced 😊.

1 hour ago, Slammer1 said:

Well at least he joined the right service!! Of course I am a little bit prejudiced 😊.

Yea man he made a career in the Corps. He was one of those kids growing up that could do anything. Played baseball, basketball, and football. He ran a 4.45 in 9th grade and was unstoppable, but he loved baseball. 

You you for your service Sir!

I hope Bo gets extreme confidence in this game. It is not easy for a true freshman to play in this division at the QB position, that is for sure. Also, is it just me or has Trevor Lawrence taken a step back this year? Kind of makes me appreciate how the coaching staff and the team has done a ton to position Nix.

I haven’t seen him as too bad with accuracy except for the open deep shots. He has improved every game in other areas. I think the deep ones will come. He just needs to take a little off of them.  I thought the deep ball would be his strength. It still could be. I don’t think he has a problem with confidence. He might be overconfident? 

Bo is going to be something special in the not too distant future.  I think that Gatewood will have some good plays against MSU. Having both QBs playing at a high level is going to give us a chance to win more games this season than some folks think. Of all of the games I want to win more than anything is LSU. We need to go into BR with an attitude that we are going to take them to the woodshed early and often.  We do this, we can beat anyone on our schedule.

44 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Yea man he made a career in the Corps. He was one of those kids growing up that could do anything. Played baseball, basketball, and football. He ran a 4.45 in 9th grade and was unstoppable, but he loved baseball. 

You you for your service Sir!

Much appreciated Tiger. The Marine Corps will bring out what ever you have going for you. I became a  pilot (Naval Aviator) which is the correct term and it really helped me to get grounded to what has  been a very useful life. I really owe all this to AU and the Marine Corps a lot as I was about to get kicked out of Auburn for grades. I don't know what the rules are today but back then (1957) if you cut more than three classes you automatically got an "F" for non attendance. I did go back to Auburn in 1973 to and  graduated in the summer of 1975. I get a lot of grief from a friend who played at TN. He likes to remind everyone that it took  me 18 years to graduate. He doesn't have too much to say about TN lately and I don't rub it in. He is a great guy and a great friend.

WDE!!!

13 minutes ago, Slammer1 said:

Much appreciated Tiger. The Marine Corps will bring out what ever you have going for you. I became a  pilot (Naval Aviator) which is the correct term and it really helped me to get grounded to what has  been a very useful life. I really owe all this to AU and the Marine Corps a lot as I was about to get kicked out of Auburn for grades. I don't know what the rules are today but back then (1957) if you cut more than three classes you automatically got an "F" for non attendance. I did go back to Auburn in 1973 to and  graduated in the summer of 1975. I get a lot of grief from a friend who played at TN. He likes to remind everyone that it took  me 18 years to graduate. He doesn't have too much to say about TN lately and I don't rub it in. He is a great guy and a great friend.

WDE!!!

LOL I feel bad for your friend. I feel bad for UT fans as a whole....It is truly sad for that program. Makes me thankful and appreciative of Auburn and our situation.

2 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

LOL I feel bad for your friend. I feel bad for UT fans as a whole....It is truly sad for that program. Makes me thankful and appreciative of Auburn and our situation.

Totally agree, thanks Tiger

Archived