run defense in for tough test

aubiefifty

Auburn’s improved run defense in for toughest test to date against Mississippi State

Today 11:30 AM

4-5 minutes

Derrick Brown is still bothered by Auburn’s last meeting against Mississippi State, and rightfully so.

The Tigers were “embarrassed” in Starkville, Miss., last October, ceding 349 rushing yards — including 195 to quarterback Nick Fitzgerald — in a 23-9 loss to the Bulldogs. It was the most rushing yards allowed by Auburn since LSU gashed the defense for 411 in Death Valley in 2015.

“They definitely embarrassed us last year,” Brown said. “We let the quarterback run for a bunch of yards. That was the highest rushing total we gave up all year. On defense, look at their rushing statistics and stuff like that — that's a lot of yards to give up in a game. That really was an embarrassment.”

It as a performance that put a dent in Auburn’s rushing defense, statistically. The Tigers’ per-game average jumped more than 40 yards (135.3 from 92.8), as they fell from eighth to 51st nationally in run defense after that game.

As No. 7 Auburn (4-0) prepares for a rematch with Mississippi State (3-1) on Saturday at 6 p.m. in Jordan-Hare Stadium, the Tigers seem laser-focused on avenging that loss from a year ago — and much improved against the run entering Week 5.

Auburn is coming off one of its best defensive performances against the run in SEC play since Gus Malzahn took over as head coach, having held Texas A&M to just 56 rushing yards on 21 carries during last week’s 28-20 win in College Station, Texas. That effort boosted Auburn to second in the SEC and 20th nationally against the run, limiting opponents to just 89.5 rushing yards per game — a mark that is about 15 yards per game better than where the Tigers’ defense was through four games last season (104.8).

“We’re stopping the run,” Malzahn said. “We’re stopping the run and running the football. That’s how we win here at Auburn. We just have to continue to build upon both sides doing that.”

More than just limiting opponents’ overall rushing yards, though, Auburn has improved against the run on a per-carry basis, which was a major goal of defensive coordinator Kevin Steele entering the season. The Tigers allowed 3.72 yards per carry last season, which ranked 33rd nationally and was — as Steele put it last month — good but not great.

Steele wanted his defense to get that number down to 3.3 yards per carry, but through four games the Tigers have done even better. Auburn is allowing just 3.09 yards per carry entering Saturday’s matchup with Mississippi State and ranks 31st nationally in that category.

“Everybody is just focused on doing their job and being able to stay in their gap,” Brown said. “That's the biggest thing about it. Before the season, Coach Steele sat down and talked to all of us, and he told us we're going to be a really good defense if everybody does just their job and not try to do everybody else's job.”

Against Power 5 teams, Auburn has been even better, allowing 73 yards per game and just 2.7 yards per carry in its wins against Oregon and Texas A&M. Those numbers rank 10th and 16th among FBS teams, respectively.

“Just effort,” safety Jeremiah Dinson said. “Like, Coach Steele, he preaches is every week. Just effort, just run to the ball and rally to the ball. That’s what we did this past Saturday, man. Everybody just got to the ball and everyone just showed relentless effort. We give those — no matter what call Coach Steele makes, we give relentless effort, everybody rally to the ball, we’re going to be good against the run.”

Just how good Auburn can be against the run will be tested Saturday against Mississippi State, which features the SEC’s leading rusher in running back Kylin Hill and a dual-threat quarterback in Garrett Shrader who rushed for 125 yards last weekend against Kentucky.

Hill has 551 yards and five touchdowns on the season, and the 5-foot-11, 215-pounder is averaging 6.05 yards per carry. He also rushed for 120 yards against Auburn in last season’s matchup.

“He’s explosive,” Malzahn said. “He can run. He breaks tackles. I saw that one play (against Kentucky) where he dove from outside the 5-yard line and I was like ‘whoa’. And he’s a veteran guy. He’s been there and done that. He’s one of the best in our league is what I believe.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• WarTiger changed the title to run defense in for tough test

What will be interesting is if we can continue to stuff the run with our base defense. We have been getting great penetration up the middle. I think the key will be how well the DE and Buck contain the QB.  If the D can contain the QB and keep pressure up the middle with the 4 man front and use an occasional Blitz to get TOFL's or QB sacks we will dominate.  My biggest fear is Buck being overly aggressive and leaving a gap for the QB. Please know more jumping the snap we want Miss State to have to earn every 1st down giving them 5 yards makes it to easy. 

Miss state D is great at causing turnovers so ball possession will be key in this game.

I believe this will be a very tough test. Last year MSU was coming off of two bad offensive performances and 2 losses, then ran all over our vaulted d line. We should win in double digits, but they have plenty of athletes to make it interesting. I’m assuming Jordan-Hare will be rocking at night and we will jump on them early. 

Big difference in them at home last year and at Auburn this year. Also a different qb who is young and could be rattled if we hit him early. I can see Steele having a great game plan and Brown/Davidson and company having a big night. Brown should be a little healthier this week too.

Someone, I think probably the middle LB, was constantly overrunning the play on the QB up the middle.  The RB was beating our guys to the corner and they got so keyed in on that the QB was just faking the handoff and cutting it back inside.  They ran it over and over.  The other factor was the offense not doing crap.  Stidham overthrew a wide open receiver on the flea flicker play (and I’m not talking about just normal wide open I’m talking 20 yards behind everyone) and Boobee fumbled out the back of the end zone after a great run.  Sometimes it’s just no your night.  

My recollection is that the refs let their offensive linemen pull our DL to the side, allowing the middle to be wide open, especially if the back cutback just the slightest.

I'm not going to lie their RB is pretty damn scary. He's really freaking good. We can't let him run wild. He leads the conference in rushing yards and has some pretty impressive highlights

Archived