double-digit favorite vs. Mississippi State

aubiefifty

Auburn opens as double-digit favorite vs. Mississippi State

Posted Sep 22, 2019

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Sitting at 4-0 and No. 7 in the AP poll, Auburn opened as a double-digit favorite for next weekend’s home game against Mississippi State.

The Tigers were set as 10-point favorites against the Bulldogs, according to VegasInsider.com. Saturday’s game at Jordan-Hare Stadium is set for 6 p.m. an will be broadcast on ESPN.

Auburn is coming off a 28-20 road win against then-No. 17 Texas A&M, which was the Tigers’ second top-25 win of the season. Mississippi State (3-1) is coming off a 28-13 win at home against Kentucky.

Auburn leads the all-time series against Mississippi State, 60-29-3, but the program is just 3-3 against the Bulldogs during the Gus Malzahn era. Mississippi State won last year’s meeting in Starkville, Miss., 23-9, snapping a two-game winning streak in the series by the Tigers.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

I see ya Rat Poison!!  But   AFTER 23-9 last year, and the Tigers smelling blood and opportunity and Ms state standing in front of Florida-----  Not good for the state fans.    I am looking for an old fashioned spanking as this team starts clicking.   Too bad the dogs had to land on this date.   Being a Ms boy , i send my condolences and heating pad to all my family and friends in the Magnolia state.

This is our annual Trap Game.. 

Wont ever forget the 3-2 victory with them and I hate to say it but .. Florida the week after looks even better with the back up QB. I hate that Franks got injured. 

10 minutes ago, Beenjammin said:

This is our annual Trap Game.. 

Wont ever forget the 3-2 victory with them and I hate to say it but .. Florida the week after looks even better with the back up QB. I hate that Franks got injured. 

Trask made a few nice throws but also two picks against a BAD Tennessee defense. It was an ugly game all around and Florida slept walked for much of it. I think his ceiling is better than Franks but it's not like when Tua or Trevor Lawrence came off the bench. 

• WarTiger changed the title to double-digit favorite vs. Mississippi State
2 hours ago, lost said:

I see ya Rat Poison!!  But   AFTER 23-9 last year, and the Tigers smelling blood and opportunity and Ms state standing in front of Florida-----  Not good for the state fans.    I am looking for an old fashioned spanking as this team starts clicking.   Too bad the dogs had to land on this date.   Being a Ms boy , i send my condolences and heating pad to all my family and friends in the Magnolia state.

Yup exactly my thoughts. We are going to trounce them. Nix will get his timing down with Stove and Schwartz for a home run a piece. I see a 42-14 type game. 

8 minutes ago, Viper said:

Yup exactly my thoughts. We are going to trounce them. Nix will get his timing down with Stove and Schwartz for a home run a piece. I see a 42-14 type game. 

That would be nice..hoping the Team isn’t thinking it’s a slam dunk or we could end up with last years Tennessee game again. We cannot let that happen.

14 minutes ago, au701948 said:

That would be nice..hoping the Team isn’t thinking it’s a slam dunk or we could end up with last years Tennessee game again. We cannot let that happen.

All MSU has is Kylin Hill. And yes he’s really good. Maybe the best RB in the SEC. He’ll prolly get his 100 yards & 1-2 scores. Our run D is good enough to hold him under his average tho. The big difference is our O is busting at the seams. At home under the night lights...I see blowout. Big coming out party for Nix. 

His dad’s big coming out party was 1994 MSU. We were only favored by 2.5 in that game. Won 42-18.

6 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

It’ll prob drop down by sat

I think it is at 7 right now. That seems about right to me. Miss state's only loss was to KS State who is very good this year. I have not watched Miss State this year but I have looked at their stats and they seem to be improving. It also appears they just got a few very good defensive players back from suspension. 

That being said, if our defense actually shows up for this game (unlike the last time we played them) we should win. 

Well, here is a thought.  If you go to the MooState roster, you'll see their "professional" photos.  But BEHIND them, not copyable or pastable (nor would I want to) are COUNTLESS pix of several ballplayers with their bellies showing.  I mean, if they can't even dress themselves...

Yep.  Double-digits work for me.  But JUST WIN, Auburn!  ❤️  (And praise God for no cowbells!)

Need to come ready to play....with a competitor at QB, I'm sure he'll be ready, which will parlay through the rest of the team...

28-27 Auburn, in large part b/c Malzahn will close the playbook again for this one. Which would have half this board screaming for the head of a 5-0 coach w/ 2 quality road wins.

11 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Malzahn will close the playbook again for this one.

I don’t see it. MSU is not a team to sandbag. If he goes back to A-gap runs every 1st down and other predictability, they can easily beat us. Plus why show all the nuances against A&M and not try to perfect them? And Mullen isn’t allowed to watch the A&M tape? He sandbagged against Tulane and Kent St (minus the flea flicker). This isn’t a team to sandbag. 

11 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

28-27 Auburn, in large part b/c Malzahn will close the playbook again for this one. Which would have half this board screaming for the head of a 5-0 coach w/ 2 quality road wins.

Moo St better not score 27 on this Defense. 

I really don't know if some of these "prognosticators" have either :

1. not watched any of our games and ms state's games, OR

2. They just can't trust Gus/or just hope he loses ( They are for AU though)...  HUMPH!!

smh

42 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Don't see this being a let down game. Offense is still hungry to improve and our defense is on a mission this year. 

Just can't imagine it. In fact, I think- even on a schedule full of circles- Gus and the entire team have had this one circled. 

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Just can't imagine it. In fact, I think- even on a schedule full of circles- Gus and the entire team have had this one circled. 

Yeah, I'll be shocked - really and truly, and in the worst kind of way if we don't play well on both sides of the ball. 

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Yeah, I'll be shocked - really and truly, and in the worst kind of way if we don't play well on both sides of the ball. 

If our OL were to have a coming out party, this would be a fine time to do it. 

Every. Single. Game. Should be noted with a big star next to it from here on out! 

This is where Gus has to grow.   This is the annual Gus loses one he should not.

We cannot have a let down and allow them to stay in the game.   

Archived