Gatewood wants to ‘grow’ with his role

aubiefifty

Joey Gatewood wants to ‘grow’ with his role, not ‘go’ with it

Today 9:14 AM

By Giana Han

With each week that passes, it’s become more clear that backup quarterback Joey Gatewood will have a role in Auburn’s offense. It might not be the role he prepared for, but it’s one that Gatewood has come to appreciate for what it is: a chance to grow.

After losing the battle for the starting quarterback position to Bo Nix at the end of the summer, Gatewood said someone told him: “When you go into a situation like this, it’s something, either you can go through it or you can grow through it.”

That stuck with him.

“I decided, you know, I'm not going to be the one to let this affect me,” Gatewood said. “I'm going to grow through this whole experience.”

Gatewood said he looks at this season as one big learning experience that will make him a better quarterback in the end. With that in mind, he goes to practice each day and prepares as if he’s the starting quarterback.

That attitude is necessary because at any given time, Gatewood is one play away from being the starter, a fact that coach Gus Malzahn repeats and one that Gatewood knows well.

But besides that, Gatewood said that mindset doesn’t just make him better; it also makes the people around him better— including Nix.

The two quarterbacks work together every practice to “handle business and get it done,” Gatewood said. There aren’t any hard feelings between the two — Gatewood said he likes Nix a lot and thinks he’s a good leader.

Even though Nix is the starter unless that “one play” happens, Malzahn and his coaches know what a weapon they have in their backup quarterback, and they’ve been finding ways to capitalize on the skills that Gatewood brings.

“He presents a completely different deal,” Malzahn said after the win over Texas A&M. “He’ll have a package each week.”

In the first three games, the Tigers took advantage of Gatewood’s skill as a runner. He rushed for 124 yards on 19 carries over the three games, including a 100-yard game against Kent State.

Joey Gatewood scores his first touchdown

Joey Gatewood made the most of his opportunity against the Ducks, as Gus Malzahn dusted off an old Cam Newton play in the fourth quarter.

“Obviously he’s a really good runner, and that’s what he’s known for, and when he gets in there he runs the ball really hard,” Nix said after the Kent State game.

Gatewood had just one completion for five yards heading into the game against Texas A&M.

When Gatewood came out against the Aggies, they were prepared for him to run — and he did, but just once for a total of four yards. He did his real damage through the air.

On a drive where Auburn switched its quarterback several times, Gatewood took over for Nix at the Aggies’ 6-yard line. Based on what he had done against other teams, the Aggies geared up to stop Gatewood from running into the end zone.

As three defenders came running towards him, Gatewood faked a sweep to running back Shaun Shivers before throwing it to a wide-open John Samuel Shenker in the end zone. The touchdown put Auburn up 14-0 in the first quarter and allowed it to go into halftime leading 14-3.

It was also Gatewood’s fourth touchdown in four games and his first touchdown pass of his college career.

Nix was waiting on the sidelines to congratulate him, and Malzahn called it an “impressive play.”

“It was awesome,” Gatewood said.” You know, it was very exciting for me, that moment, because I was running. And just to have that opportunity and share it with my teammates, it was awesome.”

Gatewood said he could see plays like that being used in the future, but in general, he sees the offense starting to click and knows that he has a role in it.

“I feel like we’re heading in a really good path, the right path,” Gatewood said.

Hard not to love this kid. I hope his role continues getting expanded,  we're gonna need him. I love the attitude he has about growing though it. 

GREAT Auburn Man!! So very proud of him. We NEED Him going forward. 

He’s so important in that red zone. He’s a playmaker. After seeing Hill get chewed out hopefully everybody learns from that and knows where they’re supposed to be. So he can continue to get snaps and make plays

2 hours ago, Sizzle said:

He’s so important in that red zone. He’s a playmaker. After seeing Hill get chewed out hopefully everybody learns from that and knows where they’re supposed to be. So he can continue to get snaps and make plays

After getting chewed out he still won a helmet sticker on special teams. Nice

4 minutes ago, toddc said:

After getting chewed out he still won a helmet sticker on special teams. Nice

That is what a good coach does when you screw up he chews you out and when you do well he praises you and rewards you. Hill will remember both and the next time he is called near the goal line he will probably be the first person out there and probably throw the block to let us score or make a catch to score.

2 hours ago, WarTim said:

GREAT Auburn Man!! So very proud of him. We NEED Him going forward. 

Man that td pass he threw was perfect and his feet were far from set........These two QB's may be closer to even........I know it was only 1 pass but still impressive.

13 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

That is what a good coach does when you screw up he chews you out and when you do well he praises you and rewards you. Hill will remember both and the next time he is called near the goal line he will probably be the first person out there and probably throw the block to let us score or make a catch to score.

If your not being chewed out your not seeing a lot of playing time.

3 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

If your not being chewed out your not seeing a lot of playing time.

I was told once if you screw up and the coach doesn't chew you out it is because he doesn't feel you are worth the effort. 

Just now, AuburnNTexas said:

I was told once if you screw up and the coach doesn't chew you out it is because he doesn't feel you are worth the effort. 

I never took it personal and never once chewed out when I didn't deserve it.

11 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Man that td pass he threw was perfect and his feet were far from set........These two QB's may be closer to even........I know it was only 1 pass but still impressive.

the kid has delivered every time he has been called on.....i know i still suffer from "cam newton delusion" ( my dog is named cam newton) but i do think that i see the "it" factor written all over this kid

55 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

the kid has delivered every time he has been called on.....i know i still suffer from "cam newton delusion" ( my dog is named cam newton) but i do think that i see the "it" factor written all over this kid

My son is named Cam............seeing such a small sample I'm not sure I can agree or disagree..........certainly like what I've seen so far.

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Good, because I got my ass chewed out a lot!

Man, what a great young man!!!  I would really like to see his role increase.  There are certain situations that he is just better suited for.  Here’s to hoping Gus, the offensive coaches, and Bo and Joey get that figured out and starting running it to perfection!🤞🤞

Archived