Derrick Brown has highlight performance

aubiefifty

Derrick Brown has highlight performance in return game

Posted Sep 21, 2019

3 minutes

The pick-six was just barely out of Derrick Brown’s grasp. As the ball left Kellen Mond’s hand in the third quarter, it just barely brushed over Brown’s fingertips.

“It was close,” Brown said. “I was hoping I could tip it up and just keep going.”

Although he won’t make the highlight reels with a pick-six, Brown had many other moments during No. 8 Auburn’s 28-20 win over No. 17 Texas A&M that would star in any Auburn hype video.

In addition to the near-interception that was recorded as a pass breakup, Brown had three solo tackles and three tackles for loss, two sacks, two pass breakups and one forced fumble.

It was a comeback game for Brown after he left the Kent State game early in the first with an upper body contusion. Brown was cleared Tuesday, but coach Gus Malzahn declared him day-to-day throughout the week.

Having to sit out and watch his teammates sparked something in Brown.

“I missed being on the field with my brothers,” Brown said. “Being back out there just motivated me more, being with my brothers on the field.”

The defensive line performed well without Brown last week, but Brown took it to the next level with his return.

The Aggies rushed for just 56 yards on 21 carries against the Tigers, and in the first half their running backs combined for -7 yards. They finished with an average of 2.7 yards per rush, which tied for the lowest with Oregon who had a total of 90 rushing yards.

“We just played our brand of defense,” Brown said. And its performance tonight did not reach even close to its ceiling, Brown said.

Brown has contributed 11 tackles to the defense’s dominant season. He is ranked ninth on the defense, second for tackles for loss and third for sacks.

The majority of his stats, including all of his sacks, two of his three pass breakups and his only forced fumble, came in Saturday’s game against Texas A&M when he tore through the Aggie’s offensive line repeatedly, keeping up continuous pressure on Kellen Mond. He helped force the Aggies offense to rely on its passing game in a way it hadn’t since they played No. 1 Clemson. The Aggies had just three more rushing yards against the Auburn Tigers than against the Clemson Tigers.

As he went about terrorizing Texas A&M’s quarterback, running backs and offensive line, Brown, who could have declared for the 2019 NFL Draft but decided to return for his senior year, said he was savoring everything.

“You don’t want to take this for granted,” Brown said. “You never know when that’s your last snap, so I decided to come back and play with my teammates. That’s what I’m going to do, so I’m going to give them my all.”

Brown has been an absolute disrupter in the interior. He is taking on double teams constantly and still holding the middle and still making impact plays. What more could we really ask from him? 

Davidson hasn't been too shabby, either.

if we just had bird helping out with the secondary i think we could tighten things up. right coach? grins

21 hours ago, bigbird said:

Truesdale has been too

Have these guys been facing double teams much? Any chance teams are going to have to do more of that and consequently give up a little real estate to our edge guys?

One sour note for me from what little I got to see Saturday was that Big Kat was completely ineffective against their RT. But I didn't even get to watch the whole first half. 

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Wish he could've gotten that pick on the screen. Would've loved to see him rumble down the field.

Rumbling...bumbling...stumbling down the field!  50-50 he makes it all the way with Monde still upright, but you never know!

8 minutes ago, Warbird82 said:

Dude made some bank on Saturday...will be a rich man next year.

Agree. Seems like the talk of him being a high first rounder got a little more real. 

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Agree. Seems like the talk of him being a high first rounder got a little more real. 

It was a signature game for sure. He may be heading for a Top 5 pick if he keeps it up. 

Archived