thread for the gus critics

aubiefifty

Just now, Tiger said:

Credit will be due for a good season whether that ends in a playoff birth or not IMO. But reputation will change based on multiple seasons. Multiple poor seasons have ruined his rep so I think multiple good seasons will have to reverse it.

Credit is separate though I just want to be clear on that. If he turns in a good season he deserves credit. So far we are on the right track

Exactly. I don’t think anyone thought his reputation would change after four games , but I do think he deserves a lot more credit then what has been given to him, especially if we base it on our thoughts over the summer and pre-season leading up to this point. IMO, a sample size probably were thinking at this point we would have a definite answer and that answer would be Gus’s decision to take the reigns would blow up in his face by this point. 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad we won and gus did some positive things on saturday.  For instance he used the middle of the field more.  I also said he needs to use the screen game to get running backs outside tackle box one on one with linebackers.  While he did not use the screen game he did get the backs out one on one with linebackers by using quick pitches.  Now the down side, while he did get the running backs outside the tackle box he should have busted runs backup between the tackles trying to catch those linebackers cheating outside.  He just run plays adhoc instead of  running plays to set up other  plays.   We do not have a blitz control package and 306 yards of total offense is not championship caliber offense.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Well I don’t think that’s a fair outlook. If you are going to be a critic irregardless of current circumstance , then quite frankly I feel that position should be more of an observer. I think fair critiquing is being balanced even in the face of uncertainty and more so from documented past events. 

If you look at his past events, there has been no consistency.  I understand the observer and fair critique being balanced, I have no problem giving credit where credit is due.  I don't think my position is irregardless of current circumstance.  Gus has had some good runs out of the gate only to peter out down the stretch.  He has called some decent games and some hair brain ones to follow. He called a good one this past Sat. My opinion (not worth much) and critiquing of him is based on his body of work.  I'm not ready to dub him as the offensive genius that he was hired to be and I'm sure not ready to get back on the bus.  As Tiger said, if he turns in a good season, he gets the credit.  However, until he puts together a couple of years of good solid play/execution, win or lose, I will not be sold on him as a head coach.  He gets the Offense clicking like that Defense was clicking Sat and both clicking consistently, and I'll purchase another ticket to the bus.  Until then, I'll continue to pull for AU and hope he figures it out.  Observer or critic, it doesn't really much matter from the cheap seats.  Just one man's opinion.

1 hour ago, C'viewTiger said:

If you look at his past events, there has been no consistency.  I understand the observer and fair critique being balanced, I have no problem giving credit where credit is due.  I don't think my position is irregardless of current circumstance.  Gus has had some good runs out of the gate only to peter out down the stretch.  He has called some decent games and some hair brain ones to follow. He called a good one this past Sat. My opinion (not worth much) and critiquing of him is based on his body of work.  I'm not ready to dub him as the offensive genius that he was hired to be and I'm sure not ready to get back on the bus.  As Tiger said, if he turns in a good season, he gets the credit.  However, until he puts together a couple of years of good solid play/execution, win or lose, I will not be sold on him as a head coach.  He gets the Offense clicking like that Defense was clicking Sat and both clicking consistently, and I'll purchase another ticket to the bus.  Until then, I'll continue to pull for AU and hope he figures it out.  Observer or critic, it doesn't really much matter from the cheap seats.  Just one man's opinion.

I 100% agree with you about his body of work BTW. I am still fairly cautiously optimistic, although, I am at a point where I am thinking he will get to the 9 win mark. 

Gus has coached a good season. We’ve won two games I felt we may lose, reacted well and have improved. I still don’t think we’re at a point of being seriously competitive with bama, UGA or LSU and I don’t see that changing anytime soon. He has to be in the conversation in the SEC and I just don’t see that with him.

I think he is truly trying to adapt. I saw things in this past game that I have not seen in many years. I mean we actually had a plan going into the game that made sense. The only thing that still bothers me is the stupid "hurry up and run it up the middle play after a first down" play which we did a few times Saturday (but not near as many as in the past). I also wish we would play D Williams at RB just because I really think he is the next special RB on the team. Maybe he is just still hurt. Other than that, the play calling has been VERY good. 

Happy to be 4-0 but the cold hard fact is that anyone who coaches Auburn will be judged by how their teams stack up against UA, GA and LSU. Until Gus starts holding his own with those teams he will have his critics.

59 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Oops...he did win the conference, right? And Aplin was the QB...

Yeah Swamp.  He did. 

Honestly, the indicators were looking up, but it was way too early to tap him as the head man after one season, and not showing that he could build and sustain a program.

I sure wish Gus would quit picking around his nose on national tv and then keeping his fingers so close to his mouth, because ....... ewww. Maybe Kristi can create a kind of hat with a face guard to keep his fingers away from his nose, or clamp a cage thing on his headphone.

😬

16 hours ago, DAG said:

It is amazing to me how bad LSU defense is but their fans are so excited about the offense they seem not to care lol

I caught some of that Vandy game and some of the UT one. Their back end is way more exploitable than it has been. UA's hasnt been shut down but they arent known for being "DBU". I didnt mention it earlier but their running game was also pretty meh for most of this season. Pretty much what has raised their stock is how explosive the passing game is from both a QB and WR perspective, but the things they've fallen off in, should make them a simpler challenge than UA (in a neutral field). Plus ill always consider defending Burrow as easier than Tua, and even for how good LSU's WR corps have been, Ruggs and Jeudy are maybe the two best WRs in the conference

8 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I caught some of that Vandy game and some of the UT one. Their back end is way more exploitable than it has been. UA's hasnt been shut down but they arent known for being "DBU". I didnt mention it earlier but their running game was also pretty meh for most of this season. Pretty much what has raised their stock is how explosive the passing game is from both a QB and WR perspective, but the things they've fallen off in, should make them a simpler challenge than UA (in a neutral field). Plus ill always consider defending Burrow as easier than Tua, and even for how good LSU's WR corps have been, Ruggs and Jeudy are maybe the two best WRs in the conference

UAt has one of the most all around talented WR corps I have ever seen. The speed, route running, blocking and big play capabilities are on point. Tua is a good QB, but not anywhere close to how good his WRs make him look. 

One of my buddies is a moderator at hogville and referenced this thread to me: Good for some laughs

https://forums.hogville.net/index.php?topic=692253.0

"We often think a coach should have complete control over his team. It certainly isn't helpful to meddle if you make things worse, but Auburn makes things better when meddling. They've handcuffed Gus to ensure he's doing what he does best and they take care of the rest. Gus is essentially still an OC for Auburn, while the PTB run everything else."

"Malzahn utilizes his player talent to win games.  He utilized both Nix and Gatewood the other day against Texas A&M."

This quote really caught my eye. It is so interesting to see what other programs think

17 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

I think he is truly trying to adapt. I saw things in this past game that I have not seen in many years. I mean we actually had a plan going into the game that made sense. The only thing that still bothers me is the stupid "hurry up and run it up the middle play after a first down" play which we did a few times Saturday (but not near as many as in the past). I also wish we would play D Williams at RB just because I really think he is the next special RB on the team. Maybe he is just still hurt. Other than that, the play calling has been VERY good. 

DJ did line up on kickoffs some so he’s getting ready. If we can do what we did against aTm and put him and Whitlow in the second half to double pound some teams, look out!

On 9/22/2019 at 10:30 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

You say all this and LSU just gave up a ridiculous amount of points and yards (respectively) to Vandy and NWST lol. I guess you’re gonna say USC worse than those two? I don’t see how what you gained from mentioning Tua’s height like his only bad performances wasn’t MSU, UGA (hurt), and Clemson. 

Sorry wasn’t aware of your affiliation with uat ( J K) but really here is what I’m saying. Uat under nick normally has a great defense but that is not the case this year. Their offense is very good so far but against what I think was inferior competition.  Does that mean their bad ? No it means that they have yet to be tested against a good defense. As far as the remark on Tau’s size is that because he is shorter he has to run more to find a passing window. He does that well. I think our speed on defense will serve us well against him. As far as his brother as I’ve mentioned before if he wasn’t Tua’s brother he wouldn’t be playing for uat or any SEC west team. But it was the price they paid to get Tua.  Just my opinion and that doesn’t count for squat . 😁

18 hours ago, 1716AU said:

Yeah Swamp.  He did. 

Honestly, the indicators were looking up, but it was way too early to tap him as the head man after one season, and not showing that he could build and sustain a program.

Well, I wasn't trying to justify why he was hired,  I was making the point that he can coach; we just haven't been seeing much of it the past few seasons. I'm hoping he's turned the corner.

12 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Well, I wasn't trying to justify why he was hired,  I was making the point that he can coach; we just haven't been seeing much of it the past few seasons. I'm hoping he's turned the corner.

Gotcha!

Yep, he can coach, but is it enough, and consistent enough for this level...?

2 hours ago, DAG said:

One of my buddies is a moderator at hogville and referenced this thread to me: Good for some laughs

https://forums.hogville.net/index.php?topic=692253.0

"We often think a coach should have complete control over his team. It certainly isn't helpful to meddle if you make things worse, but Auburn makes things better when meddling. They've handcuffed Gus to ensure he's doing what he does best and they take care of the rest. Gus is essentially still an OC for Auburn, while the PTB run everything else."

"Malzahn utilizes his player talent to win games.  He utilized both Nix and Gatewood the other day against Texas A&M."

This quote really caught my eye. It is so interesting to see what other programs think

My Lord!  Those Hogs comments are hilarious.  Talking about Gus' bagmen, and cheating and then they go on to attack Cam Newton.  lol

On 9/22/2019 at 7:21 PM, ellitor said:

We already have threads like this in pretty much every thread that has "Gus" in the title & many that don't. Don't see the point in the formality of this thread.

some were being told to hush basically on other threads. and at over 2500 views and climbing i would say i did good. and i did ask for folks to be nice so the thread would not be locked. and maybe some of the criticism would lighten up on other posts? my interntion certainly was not to start trouble although i can seee where guys could think that. i like that balck cat on espn that has his own show and he makes good points but when he gets in screaming mode i change the channel. same way if i happen to have finebaum on and jim calls in. i cannot change the channel quick enough. i got enough of that from two of my three ex wives...........

Confused. This is SUPPOSED to be the thread for Gus *critics* but is just another thread for defending Gus against critics. And when I post a tongue-in-cheek "criticism" meant to be humor, really intended as fun, I get slammed.

So I guess now that we should not really be having a Gus "critics" thread. We should all just say glowing things and pump sunshine and not even have any fun.

Personally, I've never been on the Gus hater train and I've always supported our players. But it's kinda like politics -- if you mention one single thing that you would rather be different, you get clobbered as some sort of commie terrorist by the "true believers." And humor is not accepted. We all gotta be dead flat serious.

3 minutes ago, AURex said:

Confused. This is SUPPOSED to be the thread for Gus *critics* but is just another thread for defending Gus against critics. And when I post a tongue-in-cheek "criticism" meant to be humor, really intended as fun, I get slammed.

So I guess now that we should not really be having a Gus "critics" thread. We should all just say glowing things and pump sunshine and not even have any fun.

Personally, I've never been on the Gus hater train and I've always supported our players. But it's kinda like politics -- if you mention one single thing that you would rather be different, you get clobbered as some sort of commie terrorist by the "true believers." And humor is not accepted. We all gotta be dead flat serious.

No one on here likes humorous posts more than me but you missed the mark on that one. One thumbs down isn't "getting slammed"  but the silence on your post is deafening. No one thought it was funny because it has been the source of jokes so many times on various threads. You can do better than a tacky joke like that. You're not seeing a lot of hate on Gus right now because there's nothing to hate when Auburn is winning. Even then most don't make their comments personal but instead make them about the job only. 

Archived