thread for the gus critics

aubiefifty

6 hours ago, AU64 said:

Not sure that Gus took his foot off the gas but some of the home run plays were not successful. Throughout the game he gave bo an opportunity to make some big throws for long touchdowns. We left at least three touchdowns on the field. Any one of them would have changed the game perception for the Aggies.

You're right Bo missed 3 sure td throws, but don't remember them being late in the game. Seemed like he slowly geared back after we got to 28, and tried to coast from there. You could be right though.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gus called a good game.  Bo will start hitting some of those bombs; the score could have been 42-20 easily.  One thing that is interesting to me is that Gus actually implemented many of the things that fans have been griping about-we saw passes to tight ends, and rotating running backs, with Boobee fresh in the 4th quarter.  Maybe Gus just read the board, lol.

15 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Gus called a good game.  Bo will start hitting some of those bombs; the score could have been 42-20 easily.  One thing that is interesting to me is that Gus actually implemented many of the things that fans have been griping about-we saw passes to tight ends, and rotating running backs, with Boobee fresh in the 4th quarter.  Maybe Gus just read the board, lol.

There are those on this board who seem to think so.

Funny that he has actually implemented many things that we football idiots wish he would....and they turn out successful.

AUFamily should be credited for these wins. :beer2:

7 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

No lead is ever big enough. Keep your foot on the gas pedal. Don't give the opponent the opportunity to come up for air. Leave your starters in until the opponent pull theirs.

Dude, we were calling flea flickers up 21-3.  We didn't take our foot off the gas.  We just didn't hit on the plays we should have that would have put us up 35-3.

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Dude, we were calling flea flickers up 21-3.  We didn't take our foot off the gas.  We just didn't hit on the plays we should have that would have put us up 35-3.

Dude,  I wasn't talking about Saturdays game. I'm talking about going forward. Malzahn does have a reputation trying to sit on a the lead.

LSU 2017 & 2018 for example

2 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Far better defense pardon me. The freshman USCe QB got freshman player of the week in the SEC for torch uat’s defense. They’ve played four powder puffs and given up plenty 

by the way I went back and looked at USCe and in three div 1 games they have lost all 3 but the 390 yards against Bama was more than a hundred yards better than the other two that beat them NC for one so no uat is not very good in defense this year and you stop Tua they are done. On good way to do that is with heights Tua is not tall that’s why he has to move around . I heard the announcers say his brother is like 5’10”. 

You say all this and LSU just gave up a ridiculous amount of points and yards (respectively) to Vandy and NWST lol. I guess you’re gonna say USC worse than those two? I don’t see how what you gained from mentioning Tua’s height like his only bad performances wasn’t MSU, UGA (hurt), and Clemson. 

1 hour ago, Auburn Kev said:

Dude,  I wasn't talking about Saturdays game. I'm talking about going forward. Malzahn does have a reputation trying to sit on a the lead.

LSU 2017 & 2018 for example

Idk if you can say going forward and the most recent example goes against your logic. Who knows how it’ll play out, but we have an example from the supposed new Gus that goes against your examples from the old Gus.

My issue with Gus has been his abandonment of the type of offense that got him here. The one that:

made a decent QB out of Chris Todd;

took us to the promised land in '10;

was prolific in '13 & '14

He showed us flashes of a return to that yesterday. If he keeps it up, I'll begin to have faith in him again. If not, I'll not wonder why if he's fired at season's end.

I like Gus. I want him to succeed. The ball, however, has always been in his court.

7 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

made a decent QB out of Chris Todd;

took us to the promised land in '10;

was prolific in '13 & '14

Well to be fair, these are 3 EXTREMELY different types of offenses. 

With Stidham and now Nix we run pretty much the Chris Todd offense. 

If Gatewood was QB1, you would likely see the 2010 offense leaning on the inside veer.

If Malik Willis was QB1 you would have seen the 13 offense relying on the outside zone read.

8 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

You say all this and LSU just gave up a ridiculous amount of points and yards (respectively) to Vandy and NWST lol. I guess you’re gonna say USC worse than those two? I don’t see how what you gained from mentioning Tua’s height like his only bad performances wasn’t MSU, UGA (hurt), and Clemson. 

It is amazing to me how bad LSU defense is but their fans are so excited about the offense they seem not to care lol

19 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Navy blue with 90 degrees damn it must have been hot

I really like the blue shirts better than the orange ones though.  They just seem to be more Auburn to me, like the blue jerseys.  

10 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

There are those on this board who seem to think so.

Funny that he has actually implemented many things that we football idiots wish he would....and they turn out successful.

AUFamily should be credited for these wins. :beer2:

No he gets credit for seeing things in year 7 that we have complained about since year 3 or so. 

It only took him 4 years to see the things almost everyone in the stadium and announcers knew 

My biggest complaint would be continuing the gadget plays throughout the game. A few sprinkled in, sure, they work a time or two a game. One every few drives, probably not necessary. I'm pretty sure we had two drives last week stall because we tried to get cute. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

It is amazing to me how bad LSU defense is but their fans are so excited about the offense they seem not to care lol

Those LSU fans have been starving for an innovative offense for nearly a decade.  Now they have it and it's totally clouding their view of the whole team where Aranda's defense is lacking badly.  LSU is now built to get into shoot outs with opponents, and that's what it will take when the D is struggling.

7 minutes ago, keesler said:

LSU is now built to get into shoot outs with opponents, and that's what it will take when the D is struggling.

We have been down that road a few times.....sometimes it works out.....sometimes not.   Will be interesting when LSU faces a real serious defense. 

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

We have been down that road a few times.....sometimes it works out.....sometimes not.   Will be interesting when LSU faces a real serious defense. 

Yep. LSU doesn't face a real strong/proven defense until Auburn heads to Baton Rouge.  They'll get UF at home, but I'm betting LSU can outscore UF pretty easily.  I'll be eager to see how Burrow reacts to Auburn's front 7, and see if can still execute with heavy pressure coming at him non-stop.

2 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Well to be fair, these are 3 EXTREMELY different types of offenses. 

With Stidham and now Nix we run pretty much the Chris Todd offense. 

If Gatewood was QB1, you would likely see the 2010 offense leaning on the inside veer.

If Malik Willis was QB1 you would have seen the 13 offense relying on the outside zone read.

Exactly. And each time Gus tailored his offense to the personnel. That's why he went 11-1 at Arky St. Not so much with Stidham. JJ....well, that just was what it was.  

Gus coached a good game. In fact it was great to start off but petered off to good outside of the long TD drive. We started off hot like we usually do but those middle of the game lulls can kill us. Bo needs to hit on those deep shots but we need to get him in a rhythm. Gus broke tendencies and I liked it. I liked Joiner doing more than 1 thing. I liked seeing Shivers get some work early. I hope he continues to do that. I saw Gus wipe away 2 stellar game's worth of trust in an instant back in 2017 so I'm not going to over hype this TAMU game as some "he finally gets it" game but it damn sure feels good to get a big road win against a ranked division opponent. I hope Gus continues on and now that he's shown more of the playbook we continue to work on those parts of the playbook during games because it makes us harder to defend.

And going back to vanilla could get us beat anywhere the rest of the way (minus Arkansas) drying up our margin for error. We can afford a loss and still achieve big things, as long as it's to one of LSU/UGA/Bama.

As my bro @GwillMac6 said in another thread, crow tastes delicious. I thought we would be seeing the same ole same ole from Gus and with a freshman QB it would've gotten ugly for us on the road but we played a damn good game. I hope we can keep it going vs Miss State

2 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Exactly. And each time Gus tailored his offense to the personnel. That's why he went 11-1 at Arky St. Not so much with Stidham. JJ....well, that just was what it was.  

He went 9-3 at Arky St

On 9/22/2019 at 11:31 AM, Dan-0 said:

Even the harshest critics of Gus wouldn´t deny he has shown flashes of brilliance. He took AU to the Natty in his first year!

Consistency has always been his problem. And losing a lot games we should have won. Gus will quiet his critics by eliminating these problems. I hope this is the year he does it!

IMO, regardless of what he does this year, it does NOT quiet the critics.  This is no one's fault but his own.  The thinking that any one year will do it is exactly what landed him that $49M contract.  Consistency 'as you put it' is his problem.  Would love for this year to be a initial step to Gus's long tenure of CONSISTENT excellence.  Just for transparency, he doesn't have to win every game but consistent improvement "just as we would say about any team, improving from game to game" is all I'm asking for. 

3 minutes ago, C'viewTiger said:

IMO, regardless of what he does this year, it does NOT quiet the critics.  This is no one's fault but his own.  The thinking that any one year will do it is exactly what landed him that $49M contract.  Consistency 'as you put it' is his problem.  Would love for this year to be a initial step to Gus's long tenure of CONSISTENT excellence.  Just for transparency, he doesn't have to win every game but consistent improvement "just as we would say about any team, improving from game to game" is all I'm asking for. 

Well I don’t think that’s a fair outlook. If you are going to be a critic irregardless of current circumstance , then quite frankly I feel that position should be more of an observer. I think fair critiquing is being balanced even in the face of uncertainty and more so from documented past events. 

I think it's fair. He's had 1 great year, 1 good year, the rest were mediocre at best. 1 great year doesn't make him a great coach all of a sudden. Or else we'd still be saying he was great based on 2013. Gus needs to string together a few good to great years before he starts changing the narrative on what kind of coach he is. So many 4 and 5+ loss seasons do not just get wiped away after one season. We've been here before only for him to take several steps back.

A good season will be a good season but it will only minimally reflect on the type of coach Gus is overall. If he has a good season this year then he will still have more crap years than good years at AU.

Just now, Tiger said:

I think it's fair. He's had 1 great year, 1 good year, the rest were mediocre at best. 1 great year doesn't make him a great coach all of a sudden. Or else we'd still be saying he was great based on 2013. Gus needs to string together a few good to great years before he starts changing the narrative on what kind of coach he is. So many 4 and 5+ loss seasons do not just get wiped away after one season. We've been here before only for him to take several steps back.

A good season will be a good season but it will only minimally reflect on the type of coach Gus is. If he has a good season this year then he will still have more crap years than good years at AU.

It’s fair from an overall aspect but to say you are just going to critique regardless of how he does this year is not a quality perspective. This is consider one of the hardest schedules in his tenure at Auburn. What if he were to go undefeated and make it to the playoffs? Are we just going to completely disregard that because of things of the past? I truly don’t understand that perspective. At the very least you should be able to give him his due. 

Just now, DAG said:

It’s fair from an overall aspect but to say you are just going to critique regardless of how he does this year is not a quality perspective. This is consider one of the hardest schedules in his tenure at Auburn. What if he were to go undefeated and make it to the playoffs? Are we just going to completely disregard that because of things of the past? I truly don’t understand that perspective. At the very least you should be able to give him his due. 

Credit will be due for a good season whether that ends in a playoff birth or not IMO. But reputation will change based on multiple seasons. Multiple poor seasons have ruined his rep so I think multiple good seasons will have to reverse it.

Credit is separate though I just want to be clear on that. If he turns in a good season he deserves credit. So far we are on the right track

Archived