thread for the gus critics

aubiefifty

Stidham is showing in the nfl he may well be something special. An offence which refuses to utilize the middle of the field and intermediate routes stifled him. 

The same for Bo. We tun 1 series on the shirt field with slants and hitches and he his all perfect. How about to stop asking our QB to only throw behind the line or 50 yards downfield. 

Also, gus has no balls in playcalling. He turtled worse that tubs used to and it forced what should have been a blow out into a close score game. Stop letting up when you have a lead. 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going the opposite direction here.  I like the new found fire/intensity whatever you want to call it that I've seen out of Gus this year. Last night after he had to call an unnecessary time out (think it was when he tried to get Gatewood in), I noticed he was getting all over Hill for not getting lined up correctly.  Also saw him on the sideline after Carlson kicked it out of bounds that he was screaming at him and walking along the sideline following him giving him an earful.  Glad to see that because these stupid mental mistakes will kill us in a close game and there is no excuse for them.  I'm glad to see that Gus isn't putting up with that crap.

20 minutes ago, GreenDrazi said:

This thread will (sadly) just whip the haters into a higher frenzy.

I believe it will divide more. Seems unnecessary. But then again, we don't have to click and post. We add to the length of some of these threads by giving them feedback. Certain amount of self-discipline needed. 

That said, all of my kudos and observations are on the plethora of existing threads about the same topics. 

8 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

Also, gus has no balls in playcalling. He turtled worse that tubs used to and it forced what should have been a blow out into a close score game. Stop letting up when you have a lead. 

I thought Gus called a decent game.There was a couple of 3-out series that I was disappointed in the second half but he changed it up afterwards. I actually fault the defense more for Aggies getting back into it. We went really conservative on Defense.

Be careful with the chest beating, we have a long way to go in the season. And to be honest there really isn't a need to put us all into different fan categories. There are many things I like and dislike about Gus that may or may not align with your likes or dislikes. No need for a special thread to hash those out IMO. Regardless,  War Eagle to you.

I'm still very, very concerned about OL recruiting. We should've parted ways with JB last December. Heck, we should've never re-hired him in the first place. I'm starting to see similarities to 1997-1998.

12 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Alright I’ll give it a go. Let me preface with the fact that I think we took some steps in the right direction last night.AMEN

1. The first scripted drive. For years we’ve seen Auburn come out with a tremendous opening drive that we know to be scripted. Yes, defenses adjust but the remaining drives lack the same level of balance and creativity (without getting cute).I actually saw improvement in this IMO. I thought He got a little weak with playcalling on a couple of the 3-out series but I was rather happy with the entire game from a play calling standpoint. No Doubt

2. Run plays. The play where we pitched to Boobee to the right instead of having him run the inside zone to the left (a tendency as old as time for Gus) was genius and excited me. We also ran a few “counter” plays one of which Worm could have taken to the house if he stayed outside. Unfortunately, we devolved back into inside zone running with no variance. He has to stop moving away from what’s working. It was nice to see more diverse run plays. The inside zone is a weak point. Most things get better with reps, but on this IDK if it will. Gus is going to have to stay diverse in his run schemes

3. Running backs have to be rotated better. This looked improved but not “good” yet. Kam Martin has earned his reps but isn’t receiving any. Worm can be more of a factor. I like how he mixed it up first half. Would have like to see K-mart get a few and Joiner get a few more.

4. If we’re going to run out the clock... put Gatewood in the game. Better runner for the zone read and eliminates the risk of Bo getting hurt when the game is already sealed. Bonus points for having JG throw.Agree Wildcat offenses are tremendously more effective when there’s a legitimate passing threat.

5. This is a dead horse but Bo’s completion percentage has struggled largely because of the “screen or bomb” passing attack. His deep ball is his fault not the play calling; let me get that disclaimer out there. But half your passing attempts shouldn’t be 25+ yards to begin with. With all of our speed we could be RAC nightmares.<This We need to utilize intermediate and short passes. Gus should watch film on how well TAMU moved the ball with these plays. If it weren’t for tremendous open field tackling we could have given up some huge plays. I almost nutted when we threw a slant for a TD. That’s what Seth is built to do. Sal too for that matter. I expected to see Sal get a few targets in this game. He is one of the most improved players this season so far IMO. I think Gus has been better with his pass plays this year than the last couple. Last year especially, it was screen or bomb. We haven't ran near the number of screens we have in years past. I have also seen several routes across the middle. In the opener after re-watching I saw several plays where we had guys across the middle but they were either covered, we threw somewhere else, or pressure disrupted entire play. I see progress in this, but not where I would like it to be yet. It is nice to see us uses these routes, though. Also, Texas A&M didn't move the ball well until late in second half when we went more conservative on defense giving larger cushion and less press man coverage. (I need to re-watch to further eval)

6. Not sure if this is a Gus problem but I find it problematic. Our defensive line doesn’t generate much of a pass rush without the assistance of a blitz. We’re starting to get some pressure here and there but we are sorely missing a Holland/Ford/Lemonier/Lawson type pass rusher. I fully agree here but I am a little more optimistic. I thought most of the game we did a good job of disrupting the QB. Derrick Brown got a lot of heat on K. Mond up the middle (Nic Fariley style) I would like to see one of TD or BK step their game up though. I wonder if T.D. is still somewhat hamstrung by injury. 

7. Have to get certain guys touches. Hastings had one target but zero touches. Hill, even before getting in trouble, has one touch all year. Seth only had 4 catches, Schwartz only 2 catches, Stove 1 catch. We might have the deepest group of skill players in a long time but we’re not utilizing a lot of them. Still refuse to believe the team wouldn’t benefit from getting Sal 5 catches a game. Yes Schwartz and Stove contribute on sweeps but they’re both legitimate receivers not just speed guys; it’s not like they have bad hands.We have the personnel to line up 4-5 wide and go Mike Leach Air Raid all day. I am not saying I want this, but we have the dudes. 

8. Illegal formations/shifts. It feels like we get called on these silly penalties more than anyone else. It is frusterating when we get these penalties, but I think it helps more than hurts. It has always been a CGM staple and I don't see it changing. At least we do not look like Kent ST. lol. 

Great post Zeek. I agree with a lot of what you stated. I put my  agreements and disagreements in the OP (the bold )

29 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Be careful with the chest beating, we have a long way to go in the season. And to be honest there really isn't a need to put us all into different fan categories. There are many things I like and dislike about Gus that may or may not align with your likes or dislikes. No need for a special thread to hash those out IMO. Regardless,  War Eagle to you.

Not meant to single anyone out and, yeah, maybe "chest-beating" is premature, but it occurred to me that after last night, our second-best win is as good as anybody's best win so far this season. I'm including uga over ND and Clemson over a&m at home.

AND - big thing to me - it doesn't feel like we've played anywhere close to a complete game yet.

We should feel really good about things this far.

I’m bummed because I personally couldn’t see the game, so I had to follow the game cast when I could. It sure looked like our defense tightened up and we actually scored tds, one on a slant too I believe. I’m not anti-Gus, but pro-Auburn. Same for everybody else. I loved what I saw from Gus yesterday. If that Gus sticks around then I will be pro-Gus. But I’m a perfectionist so I will probably always find something to not like

1 hour ago, doverstutts said:

this is one game....be careful, due to LSU 2017, LSU 2018, TENN 2018 and my personal worst loss, 2014 to the updykes...be careful

This isn’t the same team . This team is showing a lot of guts, determination and trust. It’s been said before and it very true and most folks on here with background will acknowledge. When teams believe in each other and theirselves and become one instead of individuals it’s hard to stop them. Not only that they are extremely talented. Between DBs,WRs and RBs we have some of the fastest players in college ball. Our DL is great maybe the best I. The country. At this point they have all the makings of a great team and because of that they will get better each week. Don’t be surprised in two weeks if TAM upsets uat. I not only think it’s possible I think it’s probable. Oregon has already showed they were a good team. Tulane got 8 votes today in the top 25 coaches poll. Even Kent state only had two losses AU and #24 Arizona state. I believe in these guys. WDE

ps I forgot this isn’t the same Gus either.

16 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

This isn’t the same team . This team is showing a lot of guts, determination and trust. It’s been said before and it very true and most folks on here with background will acknowledge. When teams believe in each other and theirselves and become one instead of individuals it’s hard to stop them. Not only that they are extremely talented. Between DBs,WRs and RBs we have some of the fastest players in college ball. Our DL is great maybe the best I. The country. At this point they have all the makings of a great team and because of that they will get better each week. Don’t be surprised in two weeks if TAM upsets uat. I not only think it’s possible I think it’s probable. Oregon has already showed they were a good team. Tulane got 8 votes today in the top 25 coaches poll. Even Kent state only had two losses AU and #24 Arizona state. I believe in these guys. WDE

ps I forgot this isn’t the same Gus either.

Not at all trying to argue but just two things...

1). To Gus’s credit his teams almost always play hard and show guts and determination. Its one of the things I like about him. This team is doing it too like you said but its not a new attribute of his teams.

2). Ain’t no way on God’s good green earth that A&M is beating bama. 

46 minutes ago, looney said:

Not meant to single anyone out and, yeah, maybe "chest-beating" is premature, but it occurred to me that after last night, our second-best win is as good as anybody's best win so far this season. I'm including uga over ND and Clemson over a&m at home.

AND - big thing to me - it doesn't feel like we've played anywhere close to a complete game yet.

We should feel really good about things this far.

It's a big thing to me too, which is why I'm hesitant to claim "Gus has found his mojo". As I said,  there's alot of season left with our tougher games to come in a few weeks. I'll refrain from sounding the trumpets just yet. Hope they continue to build confidence moving forward and improve. 

1 minute ago, nixtosanders94 said:

1). To Gus’s credit his teams almost always play hard and show guts and determination. Its one of the things I like about him. This team is doing it too like you said but its not a new attribute of his teams.

Especially without a run game. 

No lead is ever big enough. Keep your foot on the gas pedal. Don't give the opponent the opportunity to come up for air. Leave your starters in until the opponent pull theirs.

This thread has been a good read. It is indeed possible to be critical and civil. WDE. 

4 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Especially without a run game. 

Yep and I know this is going to upset folks to say this out loud...but maybe A&M isn’t as good as we thought. Yeah they played Clemson fairly tough but I never felt like Clemson was in danger and they didn’t score a TD until the game was way decided. They look like a typical 8-4 Aggie team. 

Crow tasted good 

To see Boobee saved for the second half and See the other 3 backs used was a pleasant surprise.  To see Gatewood come in and run the offense, awesome.   To see the usual suspect routes and player not used ( Hastings) as often. —-Wonderful

now Ms state will not know what is coming

Go Gus

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

Going the opposite direction here.  I like the new found fire/intensity whatever you want to call it that I've seen out of Gus this year. Last night after he had to call an unnecessary time out (think it was when he tried to get Gatewood in), I noticed he was getting all over Hill for not getting lined up correctly.  Also saw him on the sideline after Carlson kicked it out of bounds that he was screaming at him and walking along the sideline following him giving him an earful.  Glad to see that because these stupid mental mistakes will kill us in a close game and there is no excuse for them.  I'm glad to see that Gus isn't putting up with that crap.

He had some fire and called a good game for the most part. Kudos! However, I want to see him develop a killer instinct as far as keeping his foot on the opponents neck. Did not agree with all the give up plays on offense and soft coverage on defense. Allowed ATM to score 14 points and get within 1 possession at the end. Definitely hate that strategy!

44 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

He had some fire and called a good game for the most part. Kudos! However, I want to see him develop a killer instinct as far as keeping his foot on the opponents neck. Did not agree with all the give up plays on offense and soft coverage on defense. Allowed ATM to score 14 points and get within 1 possession at the end. Definitely hate that strategy!

Not sure that Gus took his foot off the gas but some of the home run plays were not successful. Throughout the game he gave bo an opportunity to make some big throws for long touchdowns. We left at least three touchdowns on the field. Any one of them would have changed the game perception for the Aggies.

Hats off to Gus and our players for 2 huge wins this year. And Tulane and even Kent State are good wins compared to most others non-conference slate to date. Now let’s come home and put on a show for the home crowd. Knock MSU out early! We should have all hands on deck and should hold nothing back. We owe them one. 

WDE🦅🦅🦅

2 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Yep some said the same thing about us beating TAM by two scores . Just saying. But here is why I say that. Uat has given up a lot of points  this year to bad teams. Their offense is setting records but it’s against  the worse teams in the country. By the time they get to Texas they will not have played a team in the top 50. A&M has played two tuff teams probably both in the top 5 . We will see but I see uat dropping two or three this year.

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

Hats off to Gus and our players for 2 huge wins this year. And Tulane and even Kent State are good wins compared to most others non-conference slate to date. Now let’s come home and put on a show for the home crowd. Knock MSU out early! We should have all hands on deck and should hold nothing back. We owe them one. 

WDE🦅🦅🦅

This will be the test on Gus. If he comes out and handles Mrs state by big numbers I will be ready to book a room in Atlanta .

5 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Yep some said the same thing about us beating TAM by two scores . Just saying. But here is why I say that. Uat has given up a lot of points  this year to bad teams. Their offense is setting records but it’s against  the worse teams in the country. By the time they get to Texas they will not have played a team in the top 50. A&M has played two tuff teams probably both in the top 5 . We will see but I see uat dropping two or three this year.

I tell ya what man. If bama loses 3 games I will mail you a gift card to a restaurant of your choice...And believe me, I hope I have to pay up!

Archived