thread for the gus critics

aubiefifty

here it is guys. get it off your chest right here. some on the pro gus side want to post without all the anti gus stuff. so lets make this thread for those who want to vent. fair is fair right? so come bring it guys but lets try to keep it a little classy like the classy folks you guys are. and i am serious when i say this. i know some people go overboard but often there is something to be learned. and again let folks have their say ok? thanx........

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I really hated the shirt Gus wore yesterday. 

yeah they made his butt look big i thought. good eyes bird.

3 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I got nothing...staying positive. Won a big road game mostly convincingly. Offense had a good day. Gus had them ready to play from the jump. 

this is not a trap nor a troll. i am loving the season so far. i love the way bo plays with such heart for a frosh. and mr brown? i would buy him breakfast. but mr nix are their things we can prove on while enjoying the win?

Sunshine pumper here... more slants from he RPO please! More rotation of the RB's please! Keep your foot on the gas PLEASE! If its working keep it going till they stop it! War Eagle! Great win

Just now, aubiefifty said:

this is not a trap nor a troll. i am loving the season so far. i love the way bo plays with such heart for a frosh. and mr brown? i would buy him breakfast. but mr nix are their things we can prove on while enjoying the win?

Mostly agree with what tbone says here.  I’ve seen a couple of folks say less trickery but I say more, Keep em off balance, 

1 minute ago, tbone4jc said:

Sunshine pumper here... more slants from he RPO please! More rotation of the RB's please! Keep your foot in the gas PLEASE! If ots working keep it going till they stop it! War Eagle! Great win

I will say this Gus has grown mentally more this year than any player on the team. He is finally reacting to defenses and making in game changes. Put the ball in the hands of players that can go. Not afraid of being embarrassed. I like the fact after atm scored their first td he engineered a long distance drive for a Td . In seasons passed he would have played conservative with the lead. He is finally looking like the OC we hired in 2009. If he will just continue this path and with KS and company on the other side, AU will find a home at the top of College football world for a while. WDE and congratulations to all the team and coaches

Just now, doverstutts said:

this is one game....be careful, due to LSU 2017, LSU 2018, TENN 2018 and my personal worst loss, 2014 to the updykes...be careful

i agree

2 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

this is one game....be careful, due to LSU 2017, LSU 2018, TENN 2018 and my personal worst loss, 2014 to the updykes...be careful

Yep. Good advice. But I think there is more reason for optimism. Nix is special, Gatewood can provide both a change of pace and insurance if Nix goes down. O line see,s to be improving etc. But yeah I still have a healthy dose of skepticism.

7 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Yep. Good advice. But I think there is more reason for optimism. Nix is special, Gatewood can provide both a change of pace and insurance if Nix goes down. O line see,s to be improving etc. But yeah I still have a healthy dose of skepticism.

Remember when people thought Stidham was special? Auburn  thought Gus was so special after he beat Georgia and Alabama at home, he got a 5 year extension and then got pounded by Georgia in the SEC championship game and lost to UCF as a DD favorite in the bowl game. How many more times is Gus going to finally get it before he finally gets it?

I just feel stuff like this is bait. I don't think anybody has a personal agenda against people. If Guscalls a good game people don't bash him. If he calls a bad game people won't praise him. If he was to call 17 run up the middle plays in a row and someone says this is all he does that's not bashing.....that's talking about the game. 

If you say that was a bad pass that's not bashing. The only problem this season is I think favoritism like like this guy drop the ball he needs to sit down but qb throw a bad pass and it's not fair to him to say he needs to get better. And even that is that person's prerogative but when you try to impose on what other people post is the problem

Why leave stuff out or post on a different way or different thread because somebody else wants you to when they wouldn't do the same? I don't understand.

3 minutes ago, murpjf88 said:

Remember when people thought Stidham was special? Auburn  thought Gus was so special after he beat Georgia and Alabama at home, he got a 5 year extension and then got pounded by Georgia in the SEC championship game and lost to UCF as a DD favorite in the bowl game. How many more times is Gus going to finally get it before he finally gets it?

So who else you gonna get? Look around the league. Look at the choices people on this board were dead set on. We’re better off with what we have. 

I started the year predicting 6-6. We beat Oregon and I changed to 7-5. We beat A&M and I will go with 8-4. 

Still a pessimist. Lot's of improvement needs to be made on both sides of the ball. Hope it happens. WDE!!!

7 minutes ago, murpjf88 said:

Well, I agree but I would also say Stidham is now Brady’s backup so maybe he was special and was underutilized. If Gus doesn’t produce like the PTB want then at some point the change would be made. But honestly, I think he probably solidified being safe this year with that win, Whether thats a good or bad thing...Thats what will continue to be debated on here.

Even the harshest critics of Gus wouldn´t deny he has shown flashes of brilliance. He took AU to the Natty in his first year!

Consistency has always been his problem. And losing a lot games we should have won. Gus will quiet his critics by eliminating these problems. I hope this is the year he does it!

1 minute ago, AUFAN78 said:

I started the year predicting 6-6. We beat Oregon and I changed to 7-5. We beat A&M and I will go with 8-4. 

Still a pessimist. Lot's of improvement needs to be made on both sides of the ball. Hope it happens. WDE!!!

Who would be the 4th loss? 

1 minute ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Well, I agree but I would also say Stidham is now Brady’s backup so maybe he was special and was underutilized. If Gus doesn’t produce like the PTB want then at some point the change would be made. But honestly, I think he probably solidified being safe this year with that win, Whether thats a good or bad thing...Thats what will continue to be debated on here.

My only point about Bo was that even if he's special, he may not reach his full potential under Gus. Stidham never did.

Just now, JMassie11 said:

Who would be the 4th loss? 

Florida, LSU, Ga, bama

46 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I really hated the shirt Gus wore yesterday. 

Dude I much preferred yesterday's over the push up ice cream shirt he wore last week.

5 minutes ago, GreenDrazi said:

This thread will (sadly) just whip the haters into a higher frenzy.

Don’t see any evidence of that yet. Doubt yes. Justified doubt but there’s no frenzy here. “ Gus haters” overwhelmingly still want Auburn to win. No frenzy here.

Alright I’ll give it a go. Let me preface with the fact that I think we took some steps in the right direction last night.

1. The first scripted drive. For years we’ve seen Auburn come out with a tremendous opening drive that we know to be scripted. Yes, defenses adjust but the remaining drives lack the same level of balance and creativity (without getting cute).

2. Run plays. The play where we pitched to Boobee to the right instead of having him run the inside zone to the left (a tendency as old as time for Gus) was genius and excited me. We also ran a few “counter” plays one of which Worm could have taken to the house if he stayed outside. Unfortunately, we devolved back into inside zone running with no variance. He has to stop moving away from what’s working.

3. Running backs have to be rotated better. This looked improved but not “good” yet. Kam Martin has earned his reps but isn’t receiving any. Worm can be more of a factor.

4. If we’re going to run out the clock... put Gatewood in the game. Better runner for the zone read and eliminates the risk of Bo getting hurt when the game is already sealed. Bonus points for having JG throw. Wildcat offenses are tremendously more effective when there’s a legitimate passing threat.

5. This is a dead horse but Bo’s completion percentage has struggled largely because of the “screen or bomb” passing attack. His deep ball is his fault not the play calling; let me get that disclaimer out there. But half your passing attempts shouldn’t be 25+ yards to begin with. With all of our speed we could be RAC nightmares. We need to utilize intermediate and short passes. Gus should watch film on how well TAMU moved the ball with these plays. If it weren’t for tremendous open field tackling we could have given up some huge plays. I almost nutted when we threw a slant for a TD. That’s what Seth is built to do. Sal too for that matter.

6. Not sure if this is a Gus problem but I find it problematic. Our defensive line doesn’t generate much of a pass rush without the assistance of a blitz. We’re starting to get some pressure here and there but we are sorely missing a Holland/Ford/Lemonier/Lawson type pass rusher.

7. Have to get certain guys touches. Hastings had one target but zero touches. Hill, even before getting in trouble, has one touch all year. Seth only had 4 catches, Schwartz only 2 catches, Stove 1 catch. We might have the deepest group of skill players in a long time but we’re not utilizing a lot of them. Still refuse to believe the team wouldn’t benefit from getting Sal 5 catches a game. Yes Schwartz and Stove contribute on sweeps but they’re both legitimate receivers not just speed guys; it’s not like they have bad hands.

8. Illegal formations/shifts. It feels like we get called on these silly penalties more than anyone else.

Archived