‘Sky’s the limit’ for Owen Pappoe

aubiefifty

‘Sky’s the limit’ for Owen Pappoe

Today 9:27 AM

3-4 minutes

Everyone knew Owen Pappoe was fast — he ran the forty in 4.47 seconds in high school.

But junior linebacker Chandler Wooten didn’t know how mentally quick the incoming freshman was, too.

“He’s extremely smart,” Wooten said. “He came in and learned the defense really fast, to where he was able to play right away.”

Pappoe is the first true freshman to see significant playing time at linebacker since 2012. He’s part of a four linebacker rotation that includes him and sophomore Zakoby McClain at the Money and juniors Wooten and K.J. Britt at the Mike.

After three games, Pappoe is eighth on the team in tackles with eight total tackles and second among the linebackers. Four are solo tackles, and he’s also had one quarterback hurry and one pass breakup.

He’s doing a great job, Wooten said, but “I’m pretty sure if you asked him, he’ll say no.”

Yeah, he can get better, Wooten conceded, but so can the entire team, and Pappoe is a true freshman playing “big-time college football,” Wooten said.

Pappoe came in as the highest rated signee in the class of 2019. He enrolled early and adapted quickly throughout the spring. He showed that he was physical and had a nose for the ball and that he had an incredible ability to focus.

Linebackers coach Travis Williams said in the spring that Pappoe was even better than they thought, which excited him, and coach Gus Malzahn said he expected him to be a major contributor.

As Malzahn reflected Sunday about their expectations for Pappoe in the spring, he also said they realized that the speed of the game once the season started would be much faster than in high school.

In the very first game, Pappoe showed that didn’t matter.

“Being out there first game against Oregon, him being out there being able to make calls like he’s been out there for as long as I have, the sky’s the limit for him, honestly,” senior safety Daniel Thomas said.

Pappoe had four solo tackles against then- No. 10 Oregon’s offense, which was led by Heisman-contender quarterback Justin Herbert. He finished with the second most solo tackles among the linebackers, and he played the second most amount of snaps behind Britt. He also had the only pass deflection of the game.

Since then, Pappoe has done nothing but improve, Thomas said. He asks questions all the time so he can understand why Auburn does certain things, which is part of what Wooten said makes him so special.

Although Pappoe had just one tackle against Tulane, he bounced back two tackles and a quarterback hurry against Kent State.

Like Bo Nix, the offensive No. 10 and another true freshman starter who seems mature beyond his years, Pappoe will continue to get better as he becomes more and more comfortable, Malzahn said, and the team is happy with where he’s at.

He’s got so much potential, and he’s shown he wants to reach it, Wooten said. It’s an exciting prospect for the veterans on his team.

“He’s a very talented kid, so I’m looking forward to seeing him in the future,” Thomas said.

If you look at his stats, I feel they are skewed a bit. I know every time I look up Pappoe is near the play. He has a nose for the ball and elite closing speed. It seems when he is out there if he isn't involved directly with the tackle, He is still contributing by cutting off the outside so they turn into a D-Lineman or he is somewhere near the ball. I love him. He is one of my favorite recruits we have ever signed. I cannot wait until we get Steiner here too. Can you imagine Pap and Stein on the field together....that is Elite speed and toughness. 

I also can't complement Pap without stating how impressed I am with the entire group. Z looks great. Wooten and Britt are beast. I love T-will and the job he is doing not only recruiting but coaching these guys up. 

He doesn't get discussed much during the "game thread(s)" which is a good thing. If a true freshman linebacker is being talked about a lot that usually means he's blatantly screwing up. I was absolutely ecstatic about picking him up. He's going to be a household name before it's all said and done.

We’re probably going to need him big time Saturday. Jimbo loves using TE’s so Jimbo is definitely going to test Pappoe and the rest of the LB’s. Pappoe better strap up

Archived