I don't think the Board Understands

AUght2win

4 hours ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

I thought our first 3 series were good (not really the first one). Showed some flashes and used pace to our advantage. On the corner route to Hastings on the second drive, I think what killed us there was Hastings missing so much camp and not getting enough reps with Nix. Nix threw it to the corner pylon and Hastings was taking it the side of the endzone. That can be corrected though.

What I liked about Nix was his mobility and internal clock. Didnt see much hesitation and he was pretty deliberate with his passing. What I am worried about though can be coached. If you go back and watch his HUDL tape from Highschool, he likes to bounce out of the pocket and flush out to make his throws when pressured. I only worry about this because during the game, I feel like he flushed out due to habbit when stepping up would've helped him out. This could be over analyzing though as he did step up in the pocket several times in the game, including on the game winner. I am not that worried about his accuracy as I am learning to live with him being a gun slinger. I personally thing that we will need to keep him involved in the run game going forward as it really started softening up Oregon early on the inside runs. Overall I am happy we got the win and I am happy to see the Defense completely lock Oregon down and our playmakers on Offense rose to the occasion. Loved it. 

Totally agree on the highlighted part. Bo, at times THOUGHT he was pressured, scrambled outside, even though the pocket was pretty well contained, and THEN the outside defender knows to then blitz since the QB is outside the pocket, limiting Bo's effectiveness.

BUT.... remember one thing...what did Bo do on the winning TD? He felt pressure... stepped into the pocket to have a little more time and the rest is history. Maybe the right instinct kicked in bc of the importance of that one play? 

I want to and really expect him to do more of that as he gets more comfortable w/ his WRs and what he can expect from the defenses....

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, AUDevil said:

I was impressed with his leadership, overall decision making, toughness, arm strength, and demeanor.  I was not impressed with his accuracy at times...I’m curious to see how quickly that improves.

He is not inaccurate. At all. He forces the ball. He puts the ball wherever he wants. Problem is, much of the time he has no business trying to force the ball to that spot. 

5 hours ago, auskip07 said:

its a little early to say this and im not sure you understand that  (like how i used your thread title it sounded as patronizing as you did?) .    Bo will be a good QB  we just saw flashes of it Saturday but he isnt there yet and he isnt immune from the injury bug

Not 72 hours ago I witnessed, with my own eyeballs, this team find a way to win against a very good Oregon team. I don't know if they'll win the SEC. I just know it's not too early to be excited, and they've already proven their character. Poo poo it if you want. It's okay to be wrong.

5 hours ago, jAUSon said:

Bo Nix is incredible though.

And he is also the reason why this team will be completely different from last year. New spirit. New attitude. I'm thankful for Stidham for his time here, but the guy isn't a leader. Not a gamer. Bo is. And it will be infectious.

4 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Okay, let's see if the board understands now...

39hskd.jpg

I see I have hurt a lot of people with this thread. Very sensitive lot. Gotta use more P.C. titles in the future.

Also just FYI you didn't use that meme right at all. Butchered it.

6 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I see I have hurt a lot of people with this thread. Very sensitive lot. Gotta use more P.C. titles in the future.

Also just FYI you didn't use that meme right at all. Butchered it.

You want to bring up oversensitivity, look in the mirror.

My post wasn't even aimed at you.  I just used humor to try & produce a smile or two.

As for me butchering the meme....LOL!  It's just a joke, I'll get over it.

War Eagle to you buddy!

8 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

You want to bring up oversensitivity, look in the mirror.

My post wasn't even aimed at you.  I just used humor to try & produce a smile or two.

As for me butchering the meme....LOL!  It's just a joke, I'll get over it.

War Eagle to you buddy!

WDE!!! Victory Monday!!!

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

Whether it's Punt Bama Punt or the Kick 6 when it's against Bama I don't really care how we look all game long if we have the lead when the game ends. It's a matter of perspective to me to consider past years games. In '72 I was a kid and at that time a win was a win. Without much media coverage and zero internet you just didn't have all of the armchair QBs and living room coaches that you have now. Today everything is discussed and dissected ad nauseum and nothing is really ever going to be enough, save for the Auburn/ Georgia game 1 in '17 and for a Clemson fan, the beatdown they gave Bama in the NC. Games like that against very good teams are rare. We weren't perfect Saturday night but we're 1-0 so that's as perfect as the record can be right now. Good win even if it wasn't pretty. 

I really do hate to hear this. You sound like my Dad - lifelong Auburn fan, who can't even enjoy wins anymore because of what the Birmingham News or Finebaum or Jay Barker says. All these talking heads have tried to reinvent football as some beauty contest. Where winning alone isn't enough. 

Big secret is, everything these talkers talk is diarrhea. An "ugly" win by half a point is no different than a win by 50. It's still the only real object of the game.

On 9/1/2019 at 9:28 AM, Sully to Beasley said:

So are "commentators" always right? Just asking.

About this? Definitely. We get excited when we see a wheel route implemented here. And then Gus abused it 15 more times in the game. Only 1 or 2 screens to the back, and just as little to the WRs. Can’t remember any crossing patterns, even though the primary attribute of most of your best WRs is raw speed and athleticism. Maybe it’ll get better going forward but Gus’s route tree being simpler than an elite HS team makes sense

One thing I definitely saw in the game. Bo is much faster than I thought. He is deceptively, fast kind of like Cam. He has a fast take off when he cuts and runs. He was much more able to allude pass rushing than Stidham was. The first down pick up at the end was a good view of it. He can scat at least for a short distance. It will change how defenses are forced to play us. 

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Not 72 hours ago I witnessed, with my own eyeballs, this team find a way to win against a very good Oregon team. I don't know if they'll win the SEC. I just know it's not too early to be excited, and they've already proven their character. Poo poo it if you want. It's okay to be wrong.

still dont think you understand what im saying but its ok to be thick headed. 

35 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

One thing I definitely saw in the game. Bo is much faster than I thought. He is deceptively, fast kind of like Cam. He has a fast take off when he cuts and runs. He was much more able to allude pass rushing than Stidham was. The first down pick up at the end was a good view of it. He can scat at least for a short distance. It will change how defenses are forced to play us. 

This was one of my biggest takeaways (based on the questions I had going into the first game).

Especially that early run Bo had on the RO, he actually proved to have serious wheels.  So glad to finally see that coming out of a Gus QB.  I was impressed with not just his straight line speed but he seemed to have serious quick-twitch muscles necessary to be a real running threat.  

Very exciting to see if that will be properly utilized as the season progresses.

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

And he is also the reason why this team will be completely different from last year. New spirit. New attitude. I'm thankful for Stidham for his time here, but the guy isn't a leader. Not a gamer. Bo is. And it will be infectious.

I was pretty hard on Stidham during his time here, but I think you are taking it too far.  Bo has one thing in particular that Stidham lacked-an ability to elude the first rusher, and scramble effectively.  It's much more important than raw speed.  I don't even want to think about how many sacks Stidham would have taken Saturday had he played against Oregon.

But I did see Stidham play great beating Georgia and Alabama back to back.  I can't say he's not a leader. I don't think he was 100% last year, and our offense line did him no favors.  It's going to be interesting to see how he does with the Pats.

34 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

I was pretty hard on Stidham during his time here, but I think you are taking it too far.  Bo has one thing in particular that Stidham lacked-an ability to elude the first rusher, and scramble effectively.  It's much more important than raw speed.  I don't even want to think about how many sacks Stidham would have taken Saturday had he played against Oregon.

But I did see Stidham play great beating Georgia and Alabama back to back.  I can't say he's not a leader. I don't think he was 100% last year, and our offense line did him no favors.  It's going to be interesting to see how he does with the Pats.

I am rooting for him for sure. I just think, looking at JS' life and his demeanor, I don't know if football means that much to him. I think he enjoys it, but I don't believe he is like a Brady or Tebow - a pure competitor who won't rest until he finds a way to win. Jarrett is as talented an arm as has ever donned Orange and Blue. 

19 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I am rooting for him for sure. I just think, looking at JS' life and his demeanor, I don't know if football means that much to him. I think he enjoys it, but I don't believe he is like a Brady or Tebow - a pure competitor who won't rest until he finds a way to win. Jarrett is as talented an arm as has ever donned Orange and Blue. 

I think JS will be successful on a good team but I don't think he can make a poor team better than the sum of the parts.  I'm happy that he is at Boston and not San Francisco...and he should be too.   Nix looks to have the ability to make the team better...quick feet and does not (yet) take sacks or dump the ball at the first sign of trouble.   

Could be wrong but I think Oregon will be among the top 2 or 3 teams we play this year and the second half was very encouraging. 

2 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

He's actually a little taller than I thought as well.

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

This was one of my biggest takeaways (based on the questions I had going into the first game).

Especially that early run Bo had on the RO, he actually proved to have serious wheels.  So glad to finally see that coming out of a Gus QB.  I was impressed with not just his straight line speed but he seemed to have serious quick-twitch muscles necessary to be a real running threat.  

Very exciting to see if that will be properly utilized as the season progresses.

Considering the way Bo can scramble around and buy time in a melted-down backfield, I wonder if the receivers are being trained to break off and keep working to get open, like they used to do at aTm for Manzel. I'm not sharp enough to see the whole field in real-time, but I did see Bo continue checking the field while running for his life. I bet he can get the ball out on a broken play.

22 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

Considering the way Bo can scramble around and buy time in a melted-down backfield, I wonder if the receivers are being trained to break off and keep working to get open, like they used to do at aTm for Manzel. I'm not sharp enough to see the whole field in real-time, but I did see Bo continue checking the field while running for his life. I bet he can get the ball out on a broken play.

I absolutely think Stove, Williams and Hastings and others ( maybe RBs too) will naturally get on board with this and start to get open / come back to him after playing with him some and all getting on the same page / non verbal communication (that quick TD on a non covered Stove comes to mind)...  and if so create some really explosive plays out of broken or covered ones while he scrambles and buys some time.

32 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

JMO but this is an issue....Hastings seems to get open any time he wants to and other guys just never seem to be open.

l see this as a WR issue, not play call issue....guy not running full out, stopping their routes and just standing around,  not giving Bo a second chance when a play breaks down....and not fighting for the ball on 50:50 plays.     Watched bama and oklahoma this weekend and the receivers were always on the move until the QB found one of them.  I've been easy on Kodi but I think it's time for our receivers  to step up their game.  

4 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Totally agree on the highlighted part. Bo, at times THOUGHT he was pressured, scrambled outside, even though the pocket was pretty well contained, and THEN the outside defender knows to then blitz since the QB is outside the pocket, limiting Bo's effectiveness.

BUT.... remember one thing...what did Bo do on the winning TD? He felt pressure... stepped into the pocket to have a little more time and the rest is history. Maybe the right instinct kicked in bc of the importance of that one play? 

I want to and really expect him to do more of that as he gets more comfortable w/ his WRs and what he can expect from the defenses....

Or, maybe he was coached to do that.

2 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

I do not see this offensive line holding up against an SEC front seven

I am beginning to question this.

I thought they adjusted and played pretty well second half.

Watching replay on ESPNU......worth doing and a chance to see more about what went on....at the LOS, blocking , holding, etc. and the AU defense.

Game is just prior to the half.....oops...now 4th qtr.

Archived